PDA

View Full Version : UFC - July 19th - Anderson Silva Vs James Irvin for free

Evan
06-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Huge free event on SpikeTV July 19th.

"Update: Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer is reporting that UFC President Dana White has announced the main events for the show will feature Anderson Silva vs. James Irvin at light heavyweight and a lightweight bout between Hermes Franca and Frankie Edgar."

To f-ck Affliction

djohn14
06-17-2008, 08:12 PM
Ah you beat me by 2 minutes. This is crazy.

N.Y. Johnny
06-17-2008, 08:17 PM
This will be good, a nice FU to the Donald by UFC.

by the way I hope this is true too

Undefeated middleweight champion Anderson Silva, who was originally speculated to highlight UFC 88 in Atlanta on September 6, will headline the July event. However, White said "Spider" could more than likely appear on both cards.

Evan
06-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Jake O'Brien vs. Cain Velasquez scheduled for July 19 UFC card

djohn14
06-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Dammit Evan would you stop beating me to the news!

Evan
06-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Dammit Evan would you stop beating me to the news!

lol

I love my Spurs Talk MMA brothers, and sister too much. I post new stuff here first most of the time.

"Brandon Vera (Pictures) has also agreed to make a move in the opposite direction -- he'll face former International Fight League rep Reese Andy"

So Vera drops to LHW.

djohn14
06-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Ok Evan you can have that one...I got in the shower and when I came out you had it. I didnt see this one coming. I think I saw Reese fight Jamal Paterson or Peterson or something like that in Pride and he won. Other than that I dont know too much about him.

Evan
06-17-2008, 09:09 PM
Ok Evan you can have that one...I got in the shower and when I came out you had it. I didnt see this one coming. I think I saw Reese fight Jamal Paterson or Peterson or something like that in Pride and he won. Other than that I dont know too much about him.

Lets just see how this shapes up before we believe anything. They still have another 6 fighters to fill at least so I suspect this card will change a lot over the next 2 weeks.

UPDATE

* Anderson Silva vs. James Irvin
* Hermes Franca vs. Frankie Edgar
* Jake O’Brien vs. Cain Velasquez
* Anthony Johnson vs. Kevin Burns

TheTruth
06-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Always fun to watch Frankie Edgar fight. That's a nice looking card for a free broadcast. Damn!

djohn14
06-17-2008, 09:22 PM
Anthony "I aint nobodys Bitch" Johnson or Anthony "Rumble" Johnson? Oh I forgot its the same person. I love Anthony, I love Cain, I love Hermes, and I love Anderson...I love it so far.

***edit***

I do like Frankie Edgar though...also Evan where did you find out about Anthony Johnson?..and this is that big announcement isnt it?

Evan
06-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Anthony Johnson from 5ozofpain.

And the big announcement is a mixture of things I think. Marketing deals, sanction of MMA in NY, this fight, and possible sale of a portion of the company. Thats pretty f-cking big.

This fight kills affliction.

TheTruth
06-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Who is on the affliction card?

djohn14
06-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Fedor Emelianenko vs. Tim Sylvia

Josh Barnett vs. Pedro Rizzo

Andrei Arlovski vs. Ben Rothwell

Matt Lindland vs. Fábio Negão

Aleksander Emelianenko vs. Paul Buentello

Renato Sobral vs. Mike Whitehead

Mark Hominick vs. Savant Young

Mike Pyle vs. Brett Cooper

Justin Levens vs. Ray Lazama

J.J. Ambrose vs. Patrick Speight

I dont know how updated it is, but the big fights are in stone.

Evan
06-18-2008, 07:31 AM
It’s a good card but they likely won't be in business after that.

polandprzem
06-18-2008, 08:01 AM

What made you think like this?

Vera dropping hmm - I think LHW suits him more, but LHW is loaded as hell.

ATRAIN
06-18-2008, 08:09 AM

Yeah why won't they?

Evan
06-18-2008, 08:10 AM
Because Affliction is trying to take a massive shortcut into the MMA business…their signing every big name free agent out there to massive contracts, nobody but die hard fans have even heard of affliction and their PPV numbers will be awful especially since the UFC is showing this massive card for free at the same time.

Plus I hear their ticket sales are extremely slow.

Aside from the UFC, Strikeforce has the best business model and when its all said and done will end up being the true number 2 MMA organization I think. Assuming EliteXC keeps pushing Kimbo instead of building the rest of their roster.

Evan
06-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Here is what happened with the UFC and Affliction.

Out of nowhere Affliction becomes the biggest sponsor of the UFC once Xyience failed. They pushed their brand big time and the Affliction logo was everywhere…fighters…cage surface…corners…website…everywhere.

(Randy decides to not honor his contract)

Instead of re-doing their hideous clothing line of flaming skulls and Halloween shirts
Instead of expanding their line to include gloves, board shorts etc…

They decide to have a photo shoot with Randy and Fedor without any Affliction clothes on signaling their intent to become an MMA org. Infuriating the UFC and within a few days they were banned from the UFC and then later EliteXC.

As an org they aren't building anything…their doing nothing but signing huge contracts and they expect to sell something like 300,000 PPV's which is insane.

They had the UFC and every other MMA organization as client then made everyone mad, screwed up and let TapOut take over.

I'm probably missing something somewhere but that’s the basics.

desflood
06-18-2008, 08:38 AM
One of the rare few, I guess - I'd still rather pay to see Fedor/Tim/Alex/Lindland/Andre/Babalu than watch the free UFC card. Going to be out of town and miss both, but I'll say that out loud anyway, 'cause it's the principal of the thing :lol

Evan
06-18-2008, 08:49 AM
I'll be watching both

ATRAIN
06-18-2008, 09:20 AM
The only thing that sucks about the free card is that Spike isnt on HD :). Evan will you post match results for the Affliction card as they are happening?

LEONARD
06-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Definitely order the PPV and recording UFN 14 on the other tuner. Will probably bounce back and forth to avoid commercials and downtime... :fro

djohn14
06-18-2008, 09:39 AM
UFC all the way. There is no way Im going to pay for a risky card when I can watch UFC for free. My brother has a kid on the way so I need to save my money anyway to help if I can. I want to see Anderson Silva anyway so Im happy. I want to see Anthony Johnson, I want to see Hermes Franca, I want to see Cain Velasquez. I DO NOT WANT TO SEE TIM SYLVIA EVER AGAIN!

Evan
06-18-2008, 09:54 AM
The only thing that sucks about the free card is that Spike isnt on HD :). Evan will you post match results for the Affliction card as they are happening?

It will be HD I think…and Sherdog or MMAweekly can do far better play by play than I can.

Evan
06-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Definitely order the PPV and recording UFN 14 on the other tuner. Will probably bounce back and forth to avoid commercials and downtime... :fro

BS...you're not streaming?

LEONARD
06-18-2008, 09:56 AM
BS...you're not streaming?

Nope, ordering it...without a doubt...

Evan
06-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Nope, ordering it...without a doubt...

I was going to order it but not now.

But I'll be watching both...:p:

I spend a fortune every year on PPV so I need every excuse I can to not order something. In the past 3 years I have ordered every PPV but maybe…8 total.

Yamma
Delayed PPV's
the last PRIDE
Last Bodog

And a few other UFC's. So that’s a few thousand in PPV...

oligarchy
06-18-2008, 02:23 PM
I was going to order it but not now.

But I'll be watching both...:p:

I spend a fortune every year on PPV so I need every excuse I can to not order something. In the past 3 years I have ordered every PPV but maybe…8 total.

Yamma
Delayed PPV's
the last PRIDE
Last Bodog

And a few other UFC's. So that’s a few thousand in PPV...

same.. i'm glad to finally get some other people interested. years of paying for pride and ufc events are costly. now, i go to other people's houses. they don't buy anything other than ufc events, but i get to watch a few for free (unless i do the streaming).

Evan
06-18-2008, 02:27 PM
same.. i'm glad to finally get some other people interested. years of paying for pride and ufc events are costly. now, i go to other people's houses. they don't buy anything other than ufc events, but i get to watch a few for free (unless i do the streaming).

Yeah none of my friends care that much so I am kind of lost there and LEONARD lives like an hour and a half from me. Beating of a drive for a PPV.

So its all on me and that adds up especially since direcTV HD is $55.

LEONARD
06-18-2008, 02:53 PM
66.6 miles is not an hour and a half :-p

It is creepy though...666...

Evan
06-18-2008, 02:55 PM
66.6 miles is not an hour and a half :-p

It is creepy though...666...

Hey dude...ever heard of traffic? :bang

tsb2000
06-20-2008, 01:05 AM
Affliction has a good card, but what after that? The thing about the UFC is there's constantly new talent coming in at the highest level. There's always competition. After this PPV, Affliction as literally nothing to build on.

desflood
06-20-2008, 01:10 PM
There's always competition.
Unless your name is Anderson Silva.

dallaskd
06-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Im going buy Affliction and watch it live on one TV. once it ends i will watch the UFC tivo'd on my other.

dbreiden83080
06-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Obviously you don't complain about free MMA, but is this where we are at with Silva these days?? He has so thoroughly cleaned out the 185 division, that the UFC can't sell him in the main event of a PPV card, because the public thinks he will win easy.

oligarchy
06-24-2008, 09:35 PM
Obviously you don't complain about free MMA, but is this where we are at with Silva these days?? He has so thoroughly cleaned out the 185 division, that the UFC can't sell him in the main event of a PPV card, because the public thinks he will win easy.

The problem is there isn't a big enough name to draw for a main event. He can't sell alone. If GSP were to move up to 185 (like he has said he might), that would be huge draw. At this point though, there isn't many tests in the UFC at this point. Okami? I don't think he would last against him. Outside the UFC? Maybe Lindland, Misaki, or ..?

dallaskd
06-24-2008, 10:23 PM
The problem is there isn't a big enough name to draw for a main event. He can't sell alone. If GSP were to move up to 185 (like he has said he might), that would be huge draw. At this point though, there isn't many tests in the UFC at this point. Okami? I don't think he would last against him. Outside the UFC? Maybe Lindland, Misaki, or ..?

Jacare, Akiyama, Trigg too. there are alot of great matchups i would love to see but im not sure the ufc can grab some of them

Evan
06-24-2008, 10:36 PM
Trigg to the slaughter house

Lindland hasn't the speed

Akiyama wouldn't make it past the first 30 seconds

Misaki would probably die

Okami would get very interesting but I am not sure

Jacare is too raw right now but maybe in another 3 fights against solid opposition.

GSP...I am not sure with that weight. Who knows?

The UFC has a serious problem with him at his champion weight so thus the LHW (which people forget he stated he wanted to move to last year) so its a great problem to have.

dallaskd
06-25-2008, 12:10 AM
Mayhem, Hughes, Bisping, Filho. How fast do they lose Evan? lol

What about Wandy? is there a chance might drop. i cant see it as long as rampage has the title cus he has slaughtered him tiwce.

dallaskd
06-25-2008, 12:11 AM
I want to include Kang in the talk but i dont know whats going on with him right now.

oligarchy
06-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Mayhem, Hughes, Bisping, Filho. How fast do they lose Evan? lol

What about Wandy? is there a chance might drop. i cant see it as long as rampage has the title cus he has slaughtered him tiwce.

All within the first round, Mayhem might make it to the second. Mayhem isn't even a real 185er. He lost to GSP at 170 when GSP wasn't even his dominant self. Hughes and Filho would get owned on the feet and would want the fight on the ground as quickly as possible. The problem? Look to the Lutter fight. Bisping is the only one who may even be remotely interesting at this point, but I also believe he would decimated on the feet.

Wandy would be a very fun matchup and could be a good fight. You saw he could take some hard blows from Chuck and Wandy is also a Muay Thai practitioner. The chance depends on how/if he loses any more at LHW. They basically would have done to Wandy what they did to Henderson, but he won his fight against Jardine.

Evan
06-25-2008, 11:17 AM
the best thing to do is stall and hope someome emerges and since silva wanted to move up anyway this solves everything for now.

All in all….I think Wanderlei might have the best shot.

dallaskd
06-25-2008, 12:03 PM
I think Silva will have some trouble at 205. I think Chuck, Shogun, Wandy cause problems. I would love to see him fight a guy like Rampage. But I think Machida would cause the most stress on him.

Evan
06-25-2008, 12:13 PM
and for the record I was talking about wanderlei moving down.

Evan
06-25-2008, 12:13 PM
I want to include Kang in the talk but i dont know whats going on with him right now.

Neither does he...that dude was such a hot item 2 years ago.

dbreiden83080
06-25-2008, 01:25 PM
Bisping is the only one who may even be remotely interesting at this point, but I also believe he would decimated on the feet.

Oh absolutely, Bisping has looked good against some decent 185ers but he does not have the technique to stand in there with Silva and he could not take him down. He'd get Ko'd in RD 1 i think.

dbreiden83080
06-25-2008, 01:27 PM
I think Silva will have some trouble at 205. I think Chuck, Shogun, Wandy cause problems. I would love to see him fight a guy like Rampage. But I think Machida would cause the most stress on him.

Machida is going to have a hard time finding people that want to fight him. His style is tailor made to make you look like shit.

oligarchy
06-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Machida is going to have a hard time finding people that want to fight him. His style is tailor made to make you look like shit.

We won't get into that debate again of what his style is. :lol

..but yes, he is going to have a hard time drawing anyone to fight, let alone a title shot at this point. He doesn't excite anyone but the "ultimate hardcore" fans who believe he is elusive and not a boring fighter. Regardless, he isn't a seller because he doesn't impress most fans. That's because he isn't exciting AND he doesn't speak english. Silva is different because he is exciting.

dbreiden83080
06-25-2008, 09:02 PM
We won't get into that debate again of what his style is. :lol

..but yes, he is going to have a hard time drawing anyone to fight, let alone a title shot at this point. He doesn't excite anyone but the "ultimate hardcore" fans who believe he is elusive and not a boring fighter. Regardless, he isn't a seller because he doesn't impress most fans. That's because he isn't exciting AND he doesn't speak english. Silva is different because he is exciting.

Whoever finally beats Machida will look like shit doing it. :lol

He is just that kind of guy people are going to avoid. Dana better hope he does not get the belt, selling fights Machida is headlining will be tougher than it was when Silvia was champ. :lol

Evan
06-26-2008, 09:54 AM
I think Machida's style is pretty obvious…he evades damage right between delivering his. :)

Anyway…I would love to see what the common fan thinks of him. I think I may send an old buddy the Tito video without leaning his opinion before he sees it.

oligarchy
06-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Wandy would be a great opponent. He has reckless abandon in pursuing attacks and can take a hell of a beating.

Evan
06-26-2008, 10:00 AM
I think marketing him will be easier than Sylvia…Sylvia is a giant white trash trucker looking goon who is a boring fighter who makes really dumb comments.

While I don't agree with people saying Machida is boring, I understand why people say so. And I have seen every one of his fights that have been taped…trust me fellas…this dude is getting better and better. He has a lot of talent. He's only 30 which for a MMA fighter is just hitting his prime and he has only had 13 fights. Give him time.

Evan
06-26-2008, 10:01 AM
Wandy would be a great opponent. He has reckless abandon in pursuing attacks and can take a hell of a beating.

I hate to say it but I would like to see Wandy get one or two easier fights.

oligarchy
06-26-2008, 10:05 AM
I think Machida's style is pretty obvious…he evades damage right between delivering his. :)

What damage is that? :stirpot:
He's only knocked out Rich Franklin.

Evan
06-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Have a look at tito at the end of that fight…how did he fall down?

djohn14
06-26-2008, 10:23 AM
How did he fall down haha...banana peel? Seriously though, lets not get started into another Machida is boring debate. Everyone has their openions.