PDA

View Full Version : Phildo hanging Gasol out to dry?

GSH
06-17-2008, 08:47 PM
They just asked Phildo about Garnett tonight. He said, "Well, he's posting up right at the basket... Pau's gotta be better than that. He's gotta be stronger."

He's made a number of disparaging comments about Gasol lately, and indicating that he is soft. Especially that one interview where he said that now they why Gasol was on the trading block - as if he really isn't that good.

He can't possibly think those comments are inspirational. Is he looking for a scapegoat? Or just trying to give some credibility to the actual trade? Either way, it isn't making his team any better.

Russ
06-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Phil motivates in his own way (much like Pop).

Kindergarten Cop
06-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Phil motivates in his own way (much like Pop).

That's what you call "motivation"?:(

Mr. Body
06-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Phil doesn't really know how to motivate. Cutting down Gasol isn't working - maybe the opposite - but he keeps doing it.

Kindergarten Cop
06-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Phil doesn't really know how to motivate. Cutting down Gasol isn't working - maybe the opposite - but he keeps doing it.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Similar to the way Kobe "motivated" Bynum?

spurs50_
06-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Gasol was on the trading block? Please.....don't get me started on that one.:flag:

T Park
06-17-2008, 09:36 PM
Phil doesn't really know how to motivate.

Phil, Jackson?

Doesn't know how to motivate?

huh!?!??

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-17-2008, 09:41 PM
It's typical Phil Jackson. When his team gets pantsed in the playoffs it's always someone else's fault besides his.

Sherlock Holmes
06-17-2008, 09:46 PM
A friend of my mine made a comment once the Pau trade was made. He said that if the Lakers end up losing in the Playoffs it will be blamed on Pau.

tmtcsc
06-17-2008, 09:48 PM
It's typical Phil Jackson. When his team gets pantsed in the playoffs it's always someone else's fault besides his.

yeah, I'm waiting for his press conference when he refers to his team as "they".

GSH
06-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Phil, Jackson?

huh!?!??

Yeah, I had a knee-jerk reaction to that too. But when you think about it? How much motivating did he have to do with MJ and Pippen? Or the Shaq/Kobe teams?

He didn't seem to have much of an impact when Shaq and Kobe started feuding. About the only thing I can say for certain is that he seemed to keep Rodman from being too much of a distraction.

But whatever he has or hasn't done in the past, the way he's misused Gasol in the Finals is not good coaching. And defending some of the bullshit Kobe has been doing isn't either. It may be Kobe's team, but those other guys aren't scrubs. And they don't deserve to be treated like they are.

I think Phildo needs to man up and take some responsibility. He's failed in the finals at the exact things he is supposed to be so good at. If he doesn't want Gasol, they can send him to the Spurs in exchange for Bonner, the rights to Splitter, and a draft pick.

tmtcsc
06-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Phil Jackson quote: 'C'mon guys ! They are kicking YOUR asses out ther'e !...Wanna see my 9 rings for motivation ? Michael got me these 6 and Shaq got me these 3.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Phil, Jackson?

huh!?!??

That's not the way to motivate an international player. Many NBA coaches get it wrong as far as motivating players from overseas.

When playing in most of Europe or South America, coaches never go to the press and single out their own players. "X is soft", "He had an horrible night", "We need more from him", you won't hear anything like that coming out of an European/South American coach's mouth. What happens in the locker room, stays in the locker room. That's usually the way to deal with things. No controversies in front of the press.

If you wanna motivate your players, you talk to them in practice, in the gym, in the locker room. Never in front of the cameras. That's why Pop is good at coaching overseas players, his style if different from most NBA head coaches. It's not only Jackson, I've seen Sloan calling Kirilenko soft in front of the Utah media, and there are other examples, but that one is the first that comes to mind.

Sherlock Holmes
06-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Phil, Jackson?

huh!?!??

No he doesn't. Looking at the half-time excerpt they showed of both coaches rallying their players his pep talk was horrible.

At best Phil is a great coach when given the right players to work with. I don't think he can really develop players and the way he tries to improve players by singling them out during press confrences is a horrible way to approach that process.

RussN
06-17-2008, 10:10 PM
That's not the way to motivate an international player. Many NBA coaches get it wrong as far as motivating players from overseas.

When playing in most of Europe or South America, coaches never go to the press and single out their own players. "X is soft", "He had an horrible night", "We need more from him", you won't hear anything like that coming out of an European/South American coach's mouth. What happens in the locker room, stays in the locker room. That's usually the way to deal with things. No controversies in front of the press.

If you wanna motivate your players, you talk to them in practice, in the gym, in the locker room. Never in front of the cameras. That's why Pop is good at coaching overseas players, his style if different from most NBA head coaches. It's not only Jackson, I've seen Sloan calling Kirilenko soft in front of the Utah media, and there are other examples, but that one is the first that comes to mind.

:toast

Twisted_Dawg
06-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Strange that nary a laker fan is chimming in on this thread tonight. But rapings are brutal.

Mr. Body
06-17-2008, 10:11 PM
With Phil, it's always about Phil. So it's no surprise he can't stop talking to the press. It also masks his huge insecurities.

GSH
06-17-2008, 10:14 PM

Dead on. Including the part about Sloan and Kirilenko. But I'm not sure public humiliation is a good motivation tool for most American players either. I know the coaches don't like it too much when a player calls them out publicly, even though they might listen in private.

Sherlock Holmes
06-17-2008, 10:15 PM
You can also just look at his demeanor during the sidelines of games. He never stands up and hopes the players will play it out, doesn't really do anything excep whistle when a player blatantly makes a mistake.

It was apparent just right now during the closing seconds of the 3rd period. Phil is sitting down, while Doc is up and coaching fervently with a 30 point advantage.

tmtcsc
06-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Dead on. Including the part about Sloan and Kirilenko. But I'm not sure public humiliation is a good motivation tool for most American players either. I know the coaches don't like it too much when a player calls them out publicly, even though they might listen in private.

Tony Parker got barked at and humiliated publicly all the way to an All Star birth.

Sherlock Holmes
06-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Tony Parker got barked at and humiliated publicly all the way to an All Star birth.
I don't think Pop during a Press Confrence went on a monolouge of how Parker needs to develop and is soft. Not his style, he probably did it in private.

Udokafan05
06-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Phil isn't a motivator. if you read his book, he cuts down his players, and mostly worries about only himself.

Kindergarten Cop
06-17-2008, 10:45 PM

I don't recall Tony Parker being "humiliated publicly". There's a HUGE difference between in-game barking (ala Popovich) and press conference barking (Jackson) IMHO.

GSH
06-17-2008, 10:50 PM

Heh. I knew that was coming. I said "most". Pop and Tony have an unusual relationship. But even at that, there is a difference between the way Pop handled Tony, and what Jackson did to Gasol here in the Finals. And my memory could be faulty, but I remember Pop dressing down Tony on the bench a lot. But I don't remember him singling Tony out in press conferences that way.

And besides... Phildo is an asshole and coaches the Lakers, so I can have a double standard if I want to.

Kindergarten Cop
06-17-2008, 11:00 PM
But even at that, there is a difference between the way Pop handled Tony, and what Jackson did to Gasol here in the Finals. And my memory could be faulty, but I remember Pop dressing down Tony on the bench a lot. But I don't remember him singling Tony out in press conferences that way.

Not only that, but Tony Parker came to the Spurs as 19 year old KID that was learning the ropes, while Gasol is a 28 year old NBA VETERAN that's been in the league for 7 years.

tmtcsc
06-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Pop reserved some of his harshest comments for Tony and Beno...You are right, most of it was during games. Going after Kidd was a little bit of an insult to Tony's leadership.

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Pop was hard on TP but man, he believed in him.

Avitus1
06-17-2008, 11:11 PM
Gotta feel better about yourself somehow.

Kindergarten Cop
06-17-2008, 11:13 PM
Going after Kidd was a little bit of an insult to Tony's leadership.

Don't forget that TD was pushing/lobbying extremely hard to get Kidd back then. When you have a chance to get a player like an '03 Jason Kidd (while not knowing for sure how a young and unproven Tony Parker will turn out) you have to at least kick the tires and check under the hood. I'm just glad that the Spurs weren't as ignorant as our cross-state rivals to go after a '08 Jason Kidd for an even larger price tag.:lol

Manu-of-steel
06-17-2008, 11:30 PM
where are the lakers fans who taunted us? who crowned the lakers as champions even before the series began? haha, nowhere to be found..

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-17-2008, 11:36 PM
Without Pau, Lakes dont' even get out of the first or second round.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-17-2008, 11:45 PM
I'm happy this is one of the first times PJ actually gets exposed with a pretty good team. He got 9 rings playing with just wonderful teams. He has a pretty good team and couldn't make it happen. LA got this far because they secured the #1 seed in the west, that was a big difference but without that advantage in the finals and against a much better team they collapsed.

PJ, you have been exposed.