PDA

View Full Version : Summarize the 2008 NBA Season

Tacker
06-18-2008, 12:35 AM
Share your thoughts and favorite moments of the 2008 NBA Season....

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-18-2008, 12:45 AM
A Series of bullshit offseason moves that affected the LOB destination.

(Spurs included i.e. Scola trade / a new offensive spark off the bench)

baseline bum
06-18-2008, 12:48 AM
http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2008/04/Duncanshotshot.jpg

Obstructed_View
06-18-2008, 12:52 AM
The Spurs never got it going in the regular season, and it carried over to the playoffs. Thank God we have this great "but we were banged up" excuse to throw around. Glad we have the built in "but Tiago fucked us" excuse ready for when the Spurs lose next year.

Guajalote
06-18-2008, 12:55 AM
Never question the heart of a champion, it got us as far as it could.

T Park
06-18-2008, 12:59 AM
The Spurs never got it going in the regular season, and it carried over to the playoffs. Thank God we have this great "but we were banged up" excuse to throw around. Glad we have the built in "but Tiago fucked us" excuse ready for when the Spurs lose next year.

So the highest scorer for the Spurs wasn't hurt?

News to me.

m33p0
06-18-2008, 01:01 AM
"You can't buy a championship."

apparently, you can.

birdy219
06-18-2008, 01:04 AM
peaks and valleys

peaks:
beating phoenix
jordan disguised as manu in cleveland
beating the mavs 3 out of 4 times (manu dunking on the entire franchise)
the way manu played against the t-pups
tony taking it to nash and paul
watching showbe and the fakers lose
laughing at the mavs being out in the first round again :lol
manu dunking on yao
having a chance to repeat

valleys:
losing to the fakers
all the injuries this year sucked
pop being owned by phil again
joey crawford :bang
giving those games to boston came back to bite us
not valuing the importance of home court this year.
giving away scola and beno for a box of cracker jacks
not getting younger
not repeating as champs

Blackjack
06-18-2008, 01:04 AM
coulda-shoulda-woulda.....

if.... but...... only...... :bang

T Park
06-18-2008, 01:13 AM
giving away scola and beno for a box of cracker jacks

Scola ok.

Beno?

Give me a fucking break.

timvp
06-18-2008, 01:16 AM
Spurs coulda won a championship but didn't.

Next.

phyzik
06-18-2008, 01:22 AM
Tim Donaghy.....

Spurs suck...

Tim Donaghy...

Spurs kinda suck.....

Tim Donaghy....

NBA with right nut of Lakers and left nut of Celtics in mouth...

Tim Donaghy.....

Spurs lose to a team they should have beat....

Tim Donaghy....

NBA dream matchup come true but still sucks....

Tim Donaghy...

Celtics Win.....

Tim Donaghy....

NBA is fucked....

T Park
06-18-2008, 01:29 AM
Shit.

dknights411
06-18-2008, 01:46 AM
Here are my thoughts team-by-team:

First of course...
Spurs - Dissapointed with the lack of trophy, but we took the title defense to the WCF, even though we exausted orselves doing so. Congrats again to Manu winning 6th man of the year. Ok season overall. Oh and that Duncan 3 was SWEET! :hat

Hornets - Where did these guys come from?!? They litterally kicked everyone's ass out of nowhere. CP3 is a monster, and David West and Tyson Chandler are better than advertised. The Hornets are here to stay.

Rockets - Wow, you can win 22 straight games and STILL suck? I'm starting to think Houston is cursed or something. Everytime they threaten, Yao or T-mac goes down. I'm afraid they're gonna be stuck in mediocrity for a while.

Mavs - They panicked. Simple as that. Jason Kidd was never the answer, and they gave up a bit too much to get them. As a result, they've all but lost that edge that we saw in the 2006 semifinals. Unless they can pull something off in the draft, it's mediocreville for Cuban and Co.

Grizzlies - Why, oh WHY did they agree to that trade? The Grizzlies have officially eclipsed the Clippers as the worst organization in basketball. Geez, the Memphis Tigers can easily whup this team's ass.

Suns - If Hack-a-Shaq is enough to obliterate your team, then it's obvious that something went horribly wrong. Trading for the Big Deisel could work out for 29 NBA teams. The Phoenix Suns are the obvious exception. Of course, it didn't help that ther coach was just a really big whinner (Good luck Knicks).

Lakers - Ok, I'll admit it. Kobe Bryant is a hell of a player. And the pau gasol trade ALMOST worked. Was Bynum the missing link? Who knows. We'll find out next year.

Clippers - Umm... Al Thornton had a nice rookie season. That's all I've got here. (Is the Corey Maggette deal still on?)

Warriors - Boy, you go 48-34 and you miss the playoffs entirely. Hope this doesn't break up the Warriors. They're hella fun to watch.

Kings - I was just reading a story how bad things are in Sacto nowadays. The once "Noisiest Arena in the NBA" is now fairly empty every night. And if Artest goes, they'll be absolutley NOTHING to cheer for in ARCO.

Jazz - Buried in the madness that was the Western Conference, were these guys. Jerry Sloan, Carlos Boozer, Deron Williams, and company looks poised to dominate the Northwest division for the next few years.

Nuggets - Too many stars, not enough balls. It seems the AI/Carmelo experiment is about to flame out for good. (How did they make the playoffs anyway?)

Trail Blazers - Probably just had the quietest .500 season in NBA history. Greg Oden may or may not put them over the hump, but they'll definatley be sleepers next year.

Timberwolves - They played a season? Without KG, there is just nothing to talk about here.

Sonics - Their owner is a prick, and Seattle should sue.

Celtics - Turns out that blowing the lottery was a godsend, afterall. Nice to see the Cetics relevent again. Congrats on getting #17, and to KG, Ray, and Paul Peirce for winning their first ring.

Raptors - Chris Bosh is a riot! Other than that, there's nothing much to get excited about north of the border (but with the Maple Leafs sucking, this is the best Toronto's got).

Knicks - Oy vey. What can I say about this flamming peice of donkey dung? Thank god Isiah was fired though.

76ers - Talk about making something out of nothing. Had a nice run and gave Detroit a scare in the playoffs. Pretty great season for a young team like this.

Nets - They're still moving to Brooklyn, right? Nothing interesting in the swamp that I can think of.

Pistons - Once again, the Pistons make it to the Eastern Conference Finals, and once again, the Bad Boys can't get it done. The Pistons are threatining to become the NBA's Atlanta Braves (a lot of success, not enough titles to back it up).

Cavs - The 2007 Finals made me hat the Cavs. This season made me LOATHE the Cavs. I just can't stand LeBron anymore. As far as I'm concerned, the only good thing to come out of Cleveland is Drew Carey.

Pacers - Larry Bird, do us all a favor and resign. You're a hell of a player, but you not a good front office guy.

Bulls - What happened to these guys? Wern't they supposed to be a threat in the East this year? Man, when things hit the crapper in Chicago, they hit HARD.

Bucks - I got nothing.

Magic - Dwight Howard, aka Superman, is INSANE. And I'm happy that Hedo has found his groove. They'll only get better with experience.

Heat - In 2006, they win the title. In 2007, they get swept out of the first round. In 2008, YIKES!!! :wow I have never seen a team fall this hard since Jordan retired from the Bulls.

Hawks - As an 8 seed, they took the eventual champs to 7 games. Now THAT'S something. Now let's see what they do for an encore.

Bobcats - Hey Mike, are you REALLY sure you know what you're doing?

Wizards - This team went farther than I whought they would without Arenas, but Agent 0's absence was just a bit too much to handle.

Those are my thoughts of this season. Can't wait for 08-09 to tip off.

Dex
06-18-2008, 01:48 AM
http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2008/04/Duncanshotshot.jpg

GSH
06-18-2008, 02:26 AM
...Okay, but we get Spanoulis, right? I mean, you get the guy we've waited years for, but we get Spanoulis.

Tim Donoghy made a bundle, after getting 15-1 odds that Joey Crawford would not be allowed to call any games this season.

For most of the season, the last 2 players on the Spurs' bench needed name tags. Darius Washington became a Cinderella story - except the rats driving the pumpkin ran over Cinderella and then pissed in her glass slippers.

Jason Kidd wasn't in at the end of the game because Avery wanted his best players on the floor.

When I get upset, I'm known to do certain things... like win championships - Shaq.

Greg Popovich forever etched his name in NBA history by inventing something he likes to call an "intentional foul". The other coaches and fans around the league were appalled, and Stern is considering a rule change to prevent it from being used in the future.

Hey Avery. You want to hurry up with that post-game? We've gotta get this office cleaned out.

It's a fire extinguisher, for Pete's sake. How tough could that be to clean up?

slayermin
06-18-2008, 02:37 AM
It all started with the "Ring of Fire." :bang :bang :bang

mrspurs
06-18-2008, 08:44 AM
bring mighty mouse and kurt thomas towards the end of any season and watch what happens to any team....our players didnt lose this yr...our staff did...for the first time since the pop era, our staff pulled one bonehead move after another...i sure do hope it stops soon, or it will be back to the car selling red mccombs and bob bass days...all about putting people in the seats with tricks and treats.........go spurs go

Mr. Body
06-18-2008, 11:43 AM
I thought bad things were in store when they ditched Scola. Set the tone for the entire season: aging bench, injuries, significant problems scoring the ball.

DDS4
06-18-2008, 11:55 AM
NBA got what they wanted.

Missed opportunity for the Spurs.

xtremesteven33
06-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Player of the Year (not MVP): Chris Paul

Team of the Year: Boston Celtics

Rivalry of the Year: Spurs and Hornets

Trade of the Year: Gasol to Lakers

Game of the Year: Spurs vs Suns-Round 1, Game 1

Saddest moment of the Year: Yao Ming announces injury

Dissapointing player of Year: Carmelo Anthony

Best moment of the Year: Lakers lose to Celtics Game 6 by 39 POINTS!!

CAAAANNN YOUUU DIIIIIGGG ITTTT????!!!!

1Parker1
06-18-2008, 12:14 PM
--Started :elephant when they ran out to the 11-3 record

--Slowly turned to :( when they went on that 4 game losing streak and could barely beat the Knicks

--Turned to :) in the Double OT game in the playoffs and Game 7 win against LA

--Slowly turned to :wow then :cry when they lost to the Lakers

--Quickly turned to :bang when I saw just how easily the Celtics were handling said Lakers

--And now that the Celtics have officially taken over the title of reigning NBA champs and the NBA season is over, I am ready to get :drunk and drown my sorrows until November.

Other than that it was an average NBA season. :lol

rAm
06-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Missed opportunities due to questionable personnel decisions.

This years championship was won and lost by the GM's.

101A
06-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Manu's ankle.

Seriously.

Obstructed_View
06-18-2008, 06:55 PM
So the highest scorer for the Spurs wasn't hurt?

News to me.

He was healthy enough to score 30 in one game. By the way, what was everyone else's excuse?

Sway
06-18-2008, 07:18 PM
No question, getting tickets for Game 3 & 4 of the New Orleans / San Antonio series was the highlight of the year for me. Nothing like watching a playoff game in person with friends and family.