PDA

View Full Version : Pierce vs. Garnett

toosmallshoes
06-18-2008, 02:33 AM
My vote is for Pierce. Garnett would definitely have made the hall of fame and most likely at least had his jersey retired by the Timberwolves. Meanwhile Pierce would not only not have made the hall of fame, he probably also wouldn't even have had his jersey retired in Boston. Without a championship Garnet's legacy would have been tainted, but Paul Pierce would practically have had no legacy at all. Now the sportswriters are comparing him to Bird. He went from footnote to legend in one season. That's a huge leap in stature.

m33p0
06-18-2008, 02:37 AM
can't blame them... the way pierce played. that's what happens when you're the hero.

J.T.
06-18-2008, 03:21 AM
Garnett's situation is exactly like Peyton Manning's back in 2006 when the Colts finally won.

Manning was a multiple MVP winner and headed for all-time stats and records anyway. By the time his career is over he'll be in the top 5 NFL quarterbacks of all time. Everyone knows that. KG is a former MVP winner, and he's a superstar in the regular season. He just could never get it done in the playoffs. A lot of times it was because the Minnesota FO just didn't give him a good enough team. When he finally got one in 2004, he ran into the Lakers with Shaq just coming off his prime. Just like how Manning always ran into the Patriots and got rick rolled until pulling off the game of his life to beat them in 2006. The Lakers blocked KG from the Finals in 2004, and now he wins a ring by defeating them in 2008.

They both get back at teams that stopped them before and win rings. So all this championship is going to do to KG's legacy is that people will say he was a superstar in the NBA, and an NBA champion.

Paul Pierce on the other hand had mostly shitty teams, and could have made it to the Finals once but was beat by the Nets. Other than that his teams did nothing. So I think you're right, Pierce needed this championship and to be the hero that he was in the Finals to even have an NBA legacy.

jacobdrj
06-18-2008, 03:35 AM
Congrats to my favorite player, PP. I have been saying he was the MVP for years. I am glad he at least got a Finals MVP.
KG is a top tier talent in the NBA, but on this team, he was simply the Pippen to PP's Jordan. KG is a role player. Not because he isn't good, but because that is his mentality. If you remember Pierce from 2002, you know what he was able to do with even a minimal amount of talent on his team. They exceeded expectations. KG's teams never exceeded expectations. His only matched them. And yeah, like most EC successful players, he does play defense. He was my favorite Piston that never put on the uniform. I kind of was hoping that KG trade wouldn't have happened so that Joe D could have swindled Danny Ainge for him, but now that will never happen.
Remember, the C's couldn't even win a single GAME without this guy last season. That was proof of his MVP caliber for me. But he had to win a title to get recognition. This guy is MONEY in the playoffs.
Congrats to my favorite active player.
And to my 3rd favorite active player KG.
And to the prettiest shooter in the NBA.
And to old=alien Cassel, winning 1 more time to end his illustrious career (yeah, I know he may not retire, but it is still some good symmetry).
I still, however, have a hard time believing that Doc was able to win one. Man, he made some dumb moves this playoffs. But, maybe I don't give him enough credit... maybe he did know what he was doing with Powe. Maybe he really was using him as a secret weapon. Time will tell.

Spur-Addict
06-18-2008, 03:59 AM
Garnett's situation is exactly like Peyton Manning's back in 2006 when the Colts finally won.

Manning was a multiple MVP winner and headed for all-time stats and records anyway. By the time his career is over he'll be in the top 5 NFL quarterbacks of all time. Everyone knows that. KG is a former MVP winner, and he's a superstar in the regular season. He just could never get it done in the playoffs. A lot of times it was because the Minnesota FO just didn't give him a good enough team. When he finally got one in 2004, he ran into the Lakers with Shaq just coming off his prime. Just like how Manning always ran into the Patriots and got rick rolled until pulling off the game of his life to beat them in 2006. The Lakers blocked KG from the Finals in 2004, and now he wins a ring by defeating them in 2008.

They both get back at teams that stopped them before and win rings. So all this championship is going to do to KG's legacy is that people will say he was a superstar in the NBA, and an NBA champion.

Paul Pierce on the other hand had mostly shitty teams, and could have made it to the Finals once but was beat by the Nets. Other than that his teams did nothing. So I think you're right, Pierce needed this championship and to be the hero that he was in the Finals to even have an NBA legacy.

Yeah, but Peyton never left Indi to join a team with L.T, Randy Moss and the Ravens defense.