PDA

View Full Version : MYSA: Ginobili might miss Olympics with ankle injury

TMTTRIO
06-18-2008, 04:52 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA061908.GinobiliOlympics.en.17301382.html

Spurs: Ginobili might miss Olympics with ankle injury

Web Posted: 06/18/2008 04:12 PM CDT

Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

For the first time, Spurs officials have expressed grave concern about injured guard Manu Ginobili’s plan to help Argentina defend its Olympic gold medal in Beijing later this summer.

Ginobili, who was hobbled by a jammed ankle during the Spurs’ playoff ouster against the Lakers in the Western Conference finals last month, has not seen much improvement in the joint since the season ended three weeks ago.

For that reason, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Wednesday he hopes Ginobili will give serious thought to sitting out the Summer Games.

“My concern is that it’s going to get worse,” Popovich said. “He’s got to seriously consider his health.”

Speaking to media in Buenos Aires on Wednesday, Ginobili acknowledged the injury was worse than previously believed, casting his ability to play in Beijing in doubt.

“I believe this puts in danger my chances at playing in the Olympic Games,” he told reporters there.

An MRI taken during the playoffs revealed a ligament in Ginobili’s left heel swollen to four to five times its normal size. Another MRI taken Monday revealed the swelling had not subsided, even though Ginobili had been off the ankle for nearly 21 days.

Ginobili will spend the next three weeks in a plastic boot meant to immobilize the ankle. If his condition hasn’t improved by the time it comes off, Ginobili will have a decision to make regarding his participation in the Olympics.

That decision rests with Ginobili alone. Under the NBA’s collective bargaining agreement, the Spurs cannot order Ginobili to skip the Olympics.

Easily the top basketball player in Argentina’s history, Ginobili said he hasn’t surrendered hope of healing in time to participate.

The Argentine team is slated to begin workouts July 4. The Olympic basketball competition is scheduled to open Aug. 9.“I am going to do everything possible, because I want to play,” Ginobili said.

Popovich, long a proponent of the international game, said he was sympathetic to Ginobili’s dilemma.

“He’s got to go back and live there (in Argentina) some day,” Popovich said. “But his bills get paid by his performance with the Spurs.”

xtremesteven33
06-18-2008, 04:54 PM
haha classic pop

T Park
06-18-2008, 05:05 PM
He’s got to go back and live there (in Argentina) some day,” Popovich said. “But his bills get paid by his performance with the Spurs.”

Lay down the bleeping law and tell him NOT TO FREAKING GO ALREADY!!

Sherlock Holmes
06-18-2008, 05:11 PM
What poor excuse to say he is injured during the WCF. He was not injured. That is a pretty weak ailment to nail an injury on.

/Laker fans

wildbill2u
06-18-2008, 05:11 PM
This is sad news.

If they'r revealed that info during the playoffs, Manu would have become even more of a target by the opponents, but it would have shown just how gritty a performance he was putting on.

SPURSGOAT
06-18-2008, 05:12 PM
this sux... watch he will not be 100% healed, but will be well enough to go and since he is not 100% healed he will injure himself more... he should be frigg'n resting.

G-Nob
06-18-2008, 05:18 PM
If this is a lingering injury through training camp, I guarantee Pop won't use him until 2009..

Southwest Texas Fan
06-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Manu you must not play in the olympics period.

greens
06-18-2008, 06:04 PM
I guess this stops all the talk about how Manu wasn't really injured during the playoffs. And that his ankle issues weren't as big of a deal as a ton of people here were saying. I remember reading other members say stuff like, "if he's really hurt, he'd say so."

Now he might miss the Olympics. It has been weeks since he hasn't played, and the ankle is still a problem.

If it still hurts by the time the Olympics come, I think he should skip it. I know that he really wants to play, but I don't know how he can even be productive if the ankle isn't fully healed anyway.

raspsa
06-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Is his kind of injury best treated with rest/medication only or is surgery a possibility. Its worrisome that the swelling has not subsided with several weeks gone by. He should take a cue from Parker's experience last off-season.

Argiebabe
06-18-2008, 06:10 PM
DAMN!!!!!!!

please Manu, pleeeeeeeeeaaaseee take good care of yourself !
We love you no matter what and will always be thankfull for all the things you achieved with the national team and the Spurs.

td4mvp21
06-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Just don't play in the Olympics. I really wish Ginobili wouldn't.

Chief
06-18-2008, 06:18 PM
“He’s got to go back and live there (in Argentina) some day,” Popovich said. “But his bills get paid by his performance with the Spurs.”

OUCH

taps
06-18-2008, 06:22 PM
I may eat my words later but...

Blessing in disguise?

Players over 29 have a finite amount of fuel left in the tank for their career. One less Olympics could mean that many more games he can play at the end of his tenure with the Spurs, not to mention the aggregate fatigue. IR him until January if you have to, just let the injury never return once he is healed. Has that "nasty looking" (quoting Kobe) fingernail started growing back yet?

Sherlock: HA!

50 cent
06-18-2008, 06:41 PM
I really hope he doesn't play in the Olympics. It would be nice to see the big 3 get some rest for a summer.

ducks
06-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Go Pop Go

lefty
06-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Pop :lmao

sprrs
06-18-2008, 07:11 PM
That decision rests with Ginobili alone. Under the NBA’s collective bargaining agreement, the Spurs cannot order Ginobili to skip the Olympics.

Is there a difference in the Spurs not allowed to force Manu to sit out, and the Cavs being allowed to force Ilgauskas to sit out?

Obstructed_View
06-18-2008, 07:14 PM
I don't like this at all. Someone needs to email a picture of Grant Hill to Manu and tell him to sit this one out.

porscha
06-18-2008, 07:18 PM
:cry:cry:cry

this is really really sad

manu please please take care of yourself

sometimes you need to let go first before you could gain...:(

Spurs1234
06-18-2008, 07:39 PM
does anyone know which play in game one or two he got hurt? i dont recall him rolling it or anything?

porscha
06-18-2008, 07:48 PM
does anyone know which play in game one or two he got hurt? i dont recall him rolling it or anything?

if I remember correctly.. he had the ankle problem just about the playoff starts or before and he rolls it again at the game 2 vs suns...

Walton Buys Off Me
06-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Ginobili's injury-and subsequent performance cost the Spurs a championship this season. If he makes matters worse, the Spurs number 1 priority this summer needs to be liquidating Ginobili and getting the best possible return on their investment.

Let's bottom line it folks; no need to sugarcoat. The window is closing, we can't rely on 30-something 2 guards that can't handle playing 30 minutes a game. If Manu chooses his country and he has every right to, Spurs need to say goodbye.

-Walton.

tmtcsc
06-18-2008, 08:24 PM
I don't think people realize that Manu hurt his ankle way before the playoffs. His game completely changed which is remarkable. He started shooting more perimeter shots (3pters specifically).

Maybe he was hurting and did it subconsciously but there was definitely a point where he stopped getting up and slamming the ball. He looked fantastic early in the season. He dunked on Yao, dunked on the Mavs..

Brutalis
06-18-2008, 08:50 PM
Good.

Pointless Olympics.

Brutalis
06-18-2008, 08:52 PM
I say if he fucks around and plays -- trade him.

We don't need belly itches.

ducks
06-18-2008, 10:24 PM
Ginobili's injury-and subsequent performance cost the Spurs a championship this season. If he makes matters worse, the Spurs number 1 priority this summer needs to be liquidating Ginobili and getting the best possible return on their investment.

Let's bottom line it folks; no need to sugarcoat. The window is closing, we can't rely on 30-something 2 guards that can't handle playing 30 minutes a game. If Manu chooses his country and he has every right to, Spurs need to say goodbye.

-Walton.

if he can only play 29 minutes
at allstar break you have to think about it

Emanuel20
06-18-2008, 10:28 PM
if he can only play 29 minutes
at allstar break you have to think about it

WTF, how about if he plays 30.90, do you still have to think about it at the all-star game, Mr. Ducks?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-18-2008, 10:28 PM
If Manu brings another ring in 2009, in a bizarro Finals Kobe fashion...there'll be a lot of crow to go around.

ducks
06-18-2008, 10:46 PM
If Manu brings another ring in 2009, in a bizarro Finals Kobe fashion...there'll be a lot of crow to go around.

a big iff
and if spurs have jr smith all manu will need to put up is 15 a night

2centsworth
06-18-2008, 10:50 PM
What poor excuse to say he is injured during the WCF. He was not injured. That is a pretty weak ailment to nail an injury on.

/Laker fans

dude, i had to argue tooth and nail with a lot of spurs fan that he was injured. A lot of haters on this board

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-18-2008, 10:59 PM
a big iff
and if spurs have jr smith all manu will need to put up is 15 a night

why are people so high on JR Smith? with his decision making, I can imagine Pop putting him in the doghouse very early, despite his athleticism.

I'd say Azubuike is the better athletic alternative. At least he doesn't seem like a dumbass.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-18-2008, 11:02 PM
I hope he plays. He won't play anyway unless he is healthy.

Yeah, if he plays in the Olympics it only means good news.

If he's forced to sit out, then his injury is a long term injury and that doesn't bode well at all.

ducks
06-18-2008, 11:02 PM
his decision making is a little worse then manu but manu forces to many bad shots
it is that he makes alto of them

Spur-Addict
06-18-2008, 11:03 PM
why are people so high on JR Smith? with his decision making, I can imagine Pop putting him in the doghouse very early, despite his athleticism.

I'd say Azubuike is the better athletic alternative. At least he doesn't seem like a dumbass.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fhollinger%2fstatistics

ducks
06-18-2008, 11:03 PM
rember pop lets manu do what manu does
normally he puts ruins in
with manu he lets loose
he could do the same with smith

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-18-2008, 11:04 PM
his decision making is a little worse then manu but manu forces to many bad shots
it is that he makes alto of them

Manu gambles and he's not afraid to fail.

JR Smith's bad shots are from something else. A la Sasha Vujacic.
JR Smith is a bad seed. I don't trust him.

ducks
06-18-2008, 11:05 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fhollinger%2fstatistics

jr smith ahead of that fellow called duncan:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

ducks
06-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Manu gambles and he's not afraid to fail.

JR Smith's bad shots are from something else. A la Sasha Vujacic.
JR Smith is a bad seed. I don't trust him.

you do not trust him because he has not won your team a title

he has proven in playoffs he can go off against lakers and not afraid to shoot

jr smith is not afraid to fail just like manu

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-18-2008, 11:07 PM

Who cares it's not like his Gawdy PER stats contributed to wins in a shitty playoff series. That Denver squad was one of the stupidest fucking teams in the history of the NBA.

ducks
06-18-2008, 11:07 PM
oh and I trust pop is a better coach then karl

ducks
06-18-2008, 11:08 PM
Who cares it's not like his Gawdy PER stats contributed to wins in a shitty playoff series. That Denver squad was one of the stupidest fucking teams in the history of the NBA.

only because melo plays no d so rest of team does not
and if pop was on that team
they would have went to finals

Spur-Addict
06-18-2008, 11:08 PM

Manu takes chances and he's god. J.R does and he's a bad seed? GTFOH :lol

ducks
06-18-2008, 11:11 PM
the only big difference between manu and jr smith
is manu has won at different leverals and jr smith has not
it is not jr smith fault he has karl for coach
oh and jr has some tattoos

jr smith has shot a very good percentage the last two years

I think even better then manu

ducks
06-18-2008, 11:13 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3835smith
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3380manu

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-18-2008, 11:16 PM
the only big difference between manu and jr smith
is manu has won at different leverals and jr smith has not
it is not jr smith fault he has karl for coach
oh and jr has some tattoos

jr smith has shot a very good percentage the last two years

I think even better then manu
Ya, he'd probably be more reliable like barry.
Well maybe if we do get him. He can dispel doubts. If he does more good than bad.

I just don't want dumbasses on the Spurs. I don't care if they're "thuggish" orwhatever, as long as they're a winner.
But I don't like dumb players, no matter how athletic they are.

ducks
06-18-2008, 11:20 PM
dumb players are under 25
rember jr smith did not play for a living when manu was at his age

ducks
06-18-2008, 11:23 PM
euro players should play smart then most usa players because they been playing longer for a living

ducks
06-18-2008, 11:25 PM
oh and a healthy manu is greater then smith

Emanuel20
06-18-2008, 11:32 PM
oh and ANY Manu is greater than smith

Wow..it took you a couple posts to finally say something coherent and valuable!
Any Manu > Smith
:toast

duncan228
06-18-2008, 11:35 PM
McDonald's updated column, along with a little Splitter and Engelland bits.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA061908.Spurs.Ginobili.EN.18a2db19.html

Spurs: Pop wants Ginobili to consider missing Olympics
Jeff McDonald

In less than two months, Argentina’s national basketball team will convene in Beijing with hopes of defending the Olympic gold medal it claimed in Athens in 2004.

For the first time, there are serious doubts as to whether Manu Ginobili will be healthy enough to play.

Acknowledging that the sore ankle that hobbled him during last month’s Western Conference finals has not improved in the three weeks since the Spurs’ season ended, Ginobili told reporters in Argentina on Wednesday he might be forced to skip the Olympics.

“The ankle injury is worse than I thought,” Ginobili said, adding, “I believe this puts in danger my chances at playing in the Olympic Games.”

Given Ginobili’s troubling medical report, Spurs officials have begun to voice grave concerns about the prospect of him playing in Beijing.

Coach Gregg Popovich said Wednesday he hopes his star guard will give serious consideration to resting in August if his health doesn’t improve dramatically. In a meeting with Ginobili this week, Popovich told him as much.

“My concern is that it is going to get worse,” Popovich said. “He’s got to seriously consider his health.”

Generally, Popovich has no qualms with his players participating in international competition, particularly the Olympics. His apprehension about Ginobili sounds an alarm bell signaling the severity of the guard’s injury, which could require surgery if it doesn’t heal on its own.

An MRI taken in May just after Spurs were eliminated from the playoffs by the Los Angeles Lakers revealed a ligament in Ginobili’s left ankle swollen to four to five times its normal size. Another MRI taken Monday showed little improvement, even though Ginobili had been off the ankle for nearly three weeks.

“He’s just as hobbled as he was in the L.A. series,” Popovich said. “If we had a game today, he couldn’t play.”

Ginobili, who led the Spurs in scoring this season at 19.5 points per game, will spend the next three weeks in a plastic boot to immobilize the ankle. If his condition hasn’t improved, Ginobili will have a decision to make regarding his participation in the Olympics.

The Argentine team is slated to begin workouts on July 4 and opens Olympic pool play Aug. 10.

Popovich says he is sympathetic to Ginobili’s plight, a tug of war between pocketbook and patriotism.

Ginobili, who will turn 31 before the start of the Olympics, is somewhat of a national hero at home. He is to Argentine basketball what Diego Maradona was to Argentine soccer.

But it is the Spurs’ logo that graces the paychecks scheduled to total $9.9 million for Ginobili next season. From Buenos Aires, Ginobili said he still hasn’t surrendered hope of healing in time to play in the Olympics.

“I am going to do everything possible, because I want to play,” Ginobili said.

The Spurs don’t mind a healthy Ginobili playing in Beijing. They don’t want him playing on a partially healed ankle.

“He’s torn between his responsibility to the Spurs, and his love to play for his country,” Popovich said. “If he gets better in three weeks, fine. If not, he has a decision on his hands.”

Basketball fans on two continents await the answer.

Splitter no fool: Tiago Splitter’s decision to return to his Spanish League team next season hasn’t drastically altered the Spurs’ offseason game plan, Popovich said.

Splitter, the Spurs’ top draft pick last June, signed a four-year deal with Tau Ceramica this month worth several times what the Spurs could pay him under the NBA’s rookie salary scale.

“When he agreed to come, he didn’t know they were going to offer him so much (in Spain),” Popovich said. “With the way the economy is, he would have had to be an idiot to come here next year.”

Engelland interviews : Spurs assistant Chip Engelland has interviewed for a spot on Terry Porter’s bench in Phoenix.

Engellend, a shooting guru widely credited with helping to remake Tony Parker’s shot, has been with the Spurs for three seasons. He can extract himself from his Spurs contract only if he is promoted to a larger role with another club.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Manu takes chances and he's god. J.R does and he's a bad seed? GTFOH :lol

Well there's a difference between taking a ballsy shot, from known players with high IQ's ( like Nash, Deron Williams have also taken "risky shots" during these years playoffs...)
and when players like Sasha, the Antoine Walkers and J.R. Smith jack up shots...it's cuz they weren't thinking, they just shot for no reason; they were just playing individually.

Usually, Nash, Kobe, Manu take shots it's because they feel the team needs the shot, and it can be a game/momentum changer.
Same goes for Manu. A lot of the times it gets good results. There's a reason why Manu is the only one Pop gives the green light to on those shots, and it's not because he takes "stupid shots".

(Kobe doesn't really count with stupid shots, because he's an exception; impossible low percentage shots are his game.)

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-18-2008, 11:47 PM
“When he agreed to come, he didn’t know they were going to offer him so much (in Spain),” Popovich said. “With the way the economy is, he would have had to be an idiot to come here next year.”

Whatever makes you feel sleep better Pop.

TMTTRIO
06-18-2008, 11:47 PM
His apprehension about Ginobili sounds an alarm bell signaling the severity of the guard’s injury, which could require surgery if it doesn’t heal on its own.
That doesn't sound good at all :(

Spur-Addict
06-18-2008, 11:50 PM
Well there's a difference between taking a ballsy shot, from known players with high IQ's ( like Nash, Deron Williams have also taken "risky shots" during these years playoffs...)
and when players like Sasha, the Antoine Walkers and J.R. Smith jack up shots...it's cuz they weren't thinking, they just shot for no reason; they were just playing individually.

Usually, Nash, Kobe, Manu take shots it's because they feel the team needs the shot, and it can be a game/momentum changer.
Same goes for Manu. A lot of the times it gets good results. There's a reason why Manu is the only one Pop gives the green light to on those shots, and it's not because he takes "stupid shots".

(Kobe doesn't really count with stupid shots, because he's an exception; impossible low percentage shots are his game.)

They both take risks. Manu is far more experienced. When he was younger what were Pop's thoughts? Yeah, we all know what they were. All he needs is to be reigned in, PERIOD. Go look at vintage Manu video before he was a Spur and compare it with J.R. HE'S YOUNG!!!!!!!, very young and he won't play enormous minutes and if he steps out of line he'll find the bench just like all others who forget what the situation is. BELIEVE ME, pop will put him in the right state of mind. All the players you've referred to are Vets. Smith is not, so don't write him off.

ducks
06-18-2008, 11:52 PM

so he did agree with the spurs to come over

I guess spurs did their homework HUH

ducks
06-18-2008, 11:53 PM
Whatever makes you feel sleep better Pop.
:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes

O-Factor
06-19-2008, 12:08 AM
I would hope Manu will rest and heal his body this off-season. Not go balls out in the summer games when he isn't even fully healthy.

carina_gino20
06-19-2008, 12:45 AM
“He’s just as hobbled as he was in the L.A. series,” Popovich said. “If we had a game today, he couldn’t play.”

gilmor
06-19-2008, 01:07 AM
Manu just fucking cost us the 5th championship..

A healthy Manu would be enough for Spurs to be thro to Finals..
No question about that..
How far Spurs can get in the playoffs is all bout the health of Manu.. not parker.. not duncan

DAMN!

carina_gino20
06-19-2008, 01:16 AM

Seriously? Just one player? So if the Spurs win next year with Manu healthy, will you also say that Manu won us the 5th championship?

gilmor
06-19-2008, 01:18 AM
Seriously? Just one player? So if the Spurs win next year with Manu healthy, will you also say that Manu won us the 5th championship?

Yup.. 100%..

Esp when the defense collapses on Parker and Duncan..

Manu is different, he is unguardable when healthy

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-19-2008, 01:22 AM

A healthy Manu would be enough for Spurs to be thro to Finals..
That's absurd.
Injuries happen. It's not like Manu or Pop could control it from happening, no matter how conservative they played.

An injury happened in 08.

Just be glad the Spurs were fortunate to be healthy to have 4 championships already.

carina_gino20
06-19-2008, 01:24 AM
Yup.. 100%..

Esp when the defense collapses on Parker and Duncan..

Manu is different, he is unguardable when healthy

Manu was healthy in 2005. Did Manu alone win the Spurs their 3rd championship?

Brox6
06-19-2008, 01:45 AM
Manu should listen to Pop this time. He has already Olympic Gold Medal and right now with the USA team line up, the chances Argentina team repeating to win the Gold is very slim.

Rest Manu and start fresh for the new run in 2009...

Go Spurs!!

amy020
06-19-2008, 03:28 AM
really bad news. though I really want to see MANU in China and play the Olympics.But if the ankle injury is that serious,please have a rest so as not to get any worse. or the injury will always affect the performance in the future. What a pity this season. and with an ankle injury ,it is hard to defend the olympic championship. SO if healthy ,play,if not, rest.

pooh
06-19-2008, 04:09 AM
If I was manu, I'd go to the Olympics. They only come 'round every four years and look...it's a chance to "repeat" as gold medal winners. Not many can say that. Better to go for it, then limit his minutes once the season begins and have him well rested up come Jan/Feb then get him ready for the playoffs.

gilmor
06-19-2008, 04:28 AM
Manu was healthy in 2005. Did Manu alone win the Spurs their 3rd championship?

In 2005, it's a combination of the Big 3.

But in 2008, Spurs badly needs Manu in the Lakers' series. Because you can expect so much from Parker and Duncan, but you won't know when Manu will ignite..

polandprzem
06-19-2008, 04:39 AM
:pctoss

Those CIA's in spurs organization

You know that many guys (NBA fans) did not even knew Manu was injured?

Most of the spurs fans thought it was a minor injury. Well with the moinor injuries Manu is playing all season long.

gilmor
06-19-2008, 05:06 AM
That's absurd.
Injuries happen. It's not like Manu or Pop could control it from happening, no matter how conservative they played.

An injury happened in 08.

Just be glad the Spurs were fortunate to be healthy to have 4 championships already.

Did u watch the US Open Golf?

If any of the Big 3 was half the man Tiger Woods was, we are looking at championship 5..

'Just be glad' is never in a champion's mind. If they are satisfied with what they have right now, might as well quit the game.

polandprzem
06-19-2008, 05:37 AM

If any of the Big 3 was half the man Tiger Woods was, we are looking at championship 5..

'Just be glad' is never in a champion's mind. If they are satisfied with what they have right now, might as well quit the game.

I havent watched the US open.

Was Tiger with the broken leg? arm?
Could he run, swing, jump and push body to the limit?

ducks
06-19-2008, 09:15 AM
If I was manu, I'd go to the Olympics. They only come 'round every four years and look...it's a chance to "repeat" as gold medal winners. Not many can say that. Better to go for it, then limit his minutes once the season begins and have him well rested up come Jan/Feb then get him ready for the playoffs.

yeah that is the attitude to take
spurs pay his bills and he says screw the spurs

Athenea
06-19-2008, 09:21 AM

-Walton.

And Manu has to put such a mercenary type of support above of his countrymen unconditional love??
U guys will be asking to trade Manu anyway by the end of next season.
Heck! Even Duncan's when he shows more signs of declining.
country>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>club

Athenea
06-19-2008, 09:27 AM
yeah that is the attitude to take
spurs pay his bills and he says screw the spurs

U want Manu gone but u need a reality check here: your guy Tony doesnt have what it takes to win championships. U either have it or u don't.

Alice_spurs
06-19-2008, 09:28 AM
It is a sad news for me
I'm a chinese girl, and I hope I can see Ginobili in 2008 Olypic Games
But now~~
manu please musk take care of yourself ! !

spurster
06-19-2008, 09:36 AM
CIA Pop. Manu was good enough for 30-35 minutes/playoff game, but playing for Argentina after a good period of rest will threaten his career. If his injury was that bad, the Pop should have shut him down instead of doing his part to threaten his career.

Athenea
06-19-2008, 09:39 AM
CIA Pop. Manu was good enough for 30-35 minutes/playoff game, but playing for Argentina after a good period of rest will threaten his career. If his injury was that bad, the Pop should have shut him down instead of doing his part to threaten his career.

According to Pop, Spurs own Manu body and soul coz they pay the bills...

oligarchy
06-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Is there a difference in the Spurs not allowed to force Manu to sit out, and the Cavs being allowed to force Ilgauskas to sit out?

Insurance. Ilgauskas doesn't have full insurance and it's written in his contract. He's more of an exception. Whereas, Manu has no such clause in his contract.

Cherry
06-19-2008, 10:42 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99479

tav1
06-19-2008, 11:35 AM
This is not a trade Manu comment, but...

If he refuses to rest his ankle, does this sour his relationship with the Spurs any? If I were paying a guy 9 million a season and he was cutting into that investment by stubbornly depreciating himself...well, I would not be happy. Seriously, if he goes Grant Hill on us, I think Pop might go postal or hang himself, depending on his mood.

smeagol
06-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Manu will do whatever he feels like doing.

He does not owe shit to the Spurs.

He has already paid any "debt" he might have with them with two rings.

That is more than many so-called superstars have given to the franchises they have played for.

Some people are fucking stupid to see this.

(ducks, you are certainly one of them)

urunobili
06-19-2008, 01:19 PM

That is more than many so-called superstars have given to the franchises they have played for.

olee olee olee oleeeeeee smeeegooool smeeegooool! :worthy:

polandprzem
06-19-2008, 01:19 PM

:tu

Nothing more to add at this moment

duncan228
06-19-2008, 01:20 PM

Manu has 3 rings. :)

polandprzem
06-19-2008, 01:23 PM

:lmao

ducks
06-19-2008, 05:54 PM

so are you saying manu could start tanking games and it would be ok since he already earned his contract

ducks
06-19-2008, 05:56 PM

the so called other superstars also did not have 2 other superstars playing with him

boy do yuo ever watch basketball

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-19-2008, 07:14 PM

Tiger Woods is a different animal altogether.

I havent watched the US open.

Was Tiger with the broken leg? arm?
Could he run, swing, jump and push body to the limit?

He won the tournament on a torn ACL, and double stress fracture on his left tibia...basically his "sore" knee was worse than he was letting on:dizzy

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-19-2008, 07:20 PM

:tu
People aren't putting themselves in Manu's shoes.

Walton Buys Off Me
06-19-2008, 07:32 PM

Right, and the Spurs who pay him roughly 7.5M a year owe him nothing either. Manu Ginobili's job, i.e. how he earns his income, is playing basketball for the San Antonio Spurs. To play basketball, he makes more than 98% of the planet. His less than stellar condition was instrumental in the Spurs not winning a championship this year and should he play this summer, that condition will likely worsen.

Sounds to me like the employer has every right to be concerned and vigilant here. The minute Manu gets on the court in Beijing, Pop (or his brain fart of a partner, RC Buford) needs to make it a priority to move him while his stock is relatively high.

It's business Smeagol.

The Spurs need a 2 guard that can play NBA minutes without breaking down when the shit's on the line. Gregg Popovich is probably the most conservative coach in the NBA when it comes to monitoring his stars' minutes. Manu, despite playing bench minutes is consistently nursing some type of wound and this time it cost us.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Right, and the Spurs who pay him roughly 7.5M a year owe him nothing either. Manu Ginobili's job, i.e. how he earns his income, is playing basketball for the San Antonio Spurs. To play basketball, he makes more than 98% of the planet. His less than stellar condition was instrumental in the Spurs not winning a championship this year and should he play this summer, that condition will likely worsen.

Sounds to me like the employer has every right to be concerned and vigilant here. The minute Manu gets on the court in Beijing, Pop (or his brain fart of a partner, RC Buford) needs to make it a priority to move him while his stock is relatively high.

It's business Smeagol.

If Manu treated it like a business, he could have courted other teams for an even bigger salary. He's pretty much been under-paid for a while, for the sake of giving himself and the Spurs better championship chances.

Walton Buys Off Me
06-19-2008, 07:53 PM
If Manu treated it like a business, he could have courted other teams for an even bigger salary. He's pretty much been under-paid for a while, for the sake of giving himself and the Spurs better championship chances.

Sure, and played with Carmelo Anthony in Denver right? That would have been a great career move. Tim Duncan is really the individual that significantly lowered his marketvalue to ensure the Spurs remained competitive, not Manu Ginobili. Fact is that Manu is only slightly underpaid when we consider what a player of Duncan's prowess makes in relation to his comparables. I'm not talking about grand-fathered deals like Shaq's or Garnett's either. Duncan makes less money (on his own accord) than Jermaine O'Neal....

Joe Schmoogins
06-19-2008, 08:14 PM
I say if he fucks around and plays -- trade him.

We don't need belly itches.

you're an idiot

Manudona
06-19-2008, 08:19 PM

It's business Smeagol.

The Spurs need a 2 guard that can play NBA minutes without breaking down when the shit's on the line. Gregg Popovich is probably the most conservative coach in the NBA when it comes to monitoring his stars' minutes. Manu, despite playing bench minutes is consistently nursing some type of wound and this time it cost us.

It is business?

If the Spurs trade Manu for he used his RIGHT to play with Argentina, then the Spurs will lose my business of ever watching them again, buying any merchandise the put on the market or whatever, for I do not cheer for douche bags and certainly I do not pay money to them either.

ducks
06-19-2008, 10:18 PM

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol
yeah playing 2830 minutes a game
where most players that get paid what he does play 35-40

ducks
06-19-2008, 10:19 PM
It is business?

If the Spurs trade Manu for he used his RIGHT to play with Argentina, then the Spurs will lose my business of ever watching them again, buying any merchandise the put on the market or whatever, for I do not cheer for douche bags and certainly I do not pay money to them either.

like they could care less

Capt Bringdown
06-19-2008, 10:20 PM
Fuck the Olympics, and fuck Argentina. If Manu values the Olympics over an NBA championship, then he's not the competitor some make him out to be.

The NBA Championship is the REAL World Championship, and as he's on our payroll, the ONLY team he needs to worry about suiting up for the Spurs.

pooh
06-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Fuck the Olympics, and fuck Argentina. If Manu values the Olympics over an NBA championship, then he's not the competitor some make him out to be.

The NBA Championship is the REAL World Championship, and as he's on our payroll, the ONLY team he needs to worry about suiting up for the Spurs.

that's crazy, the Olympics is an event that last forever...it's been around longer than the NBA and it will still be here. it's a once in a lifetime chance to represent your country, defend your title...what more can you ask for? you don't hear soccer players and their clubs complaining when their national players are in their leagues in Europe, then they leave those teams for their countries slot.

I'd say go for it Manu. Do what YOU want, not what THEY want.

T Park
06-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Walton buys me off is 1000% right.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-19-2008, 10:43 PM

People are taking Manu's words out of context. He says the opportunity to win a gold, is more valuable, because Spurs with Tim Duncan can contend every year for one. You guys are acting like Manu didn't give a shit about the championship this year. He was really pissed off about not winning it, and hated seeing Boston and LA in the finals.

Most people posting in this forum would wish to have the competitiveness Manu has.

ducks
06-19-2008, 10:47 PM
that's crazy, the Olympics is an event that last forever...it's been around longer than the NBA and it will still be here. it's a once in a lifetime chance to represent your country, defend your title...what more can you ask for? you don't hear soccer players and their clubs complaining when their national players are in their leagues in Europe, then they leave those teams for their countries slot.

I'd say go for it Manu. Do what YOU want, not what THEY want.
yeah that makes since so the spurs will do what they want and trade him to a deadbeat team and lets see how great he really is and how many rings he gets

ducks
06-19-2008, 10:47 PM

no shit

if he messes around and gets hurt
jr smith is more valuable then manu
a 60% manu is useless compared to 110% jr smith

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-19-2008, 10:51 PM
yeah that makes since so the spurs will do what they want and trade him to a deadbeat team and lets see how great he really is and how many rings he gets

Unless Spurs get equal value for Manu. Both Manu and the Spurs aren't winning rings.
At best they'd keep coming up short like the early 2000's.

ducks
06-19-2008, 11:22 PM
depends on what they do in fa's and draft

spurs will win rings without manu one day

just like the spurs would never get a player like david robinson
then they got duncan

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-19-2008, 11:24 PM
depends on what they do in fa's and draft

spurs will win rings without manu one day

just like the spurs would never get a player like david robinson
then they got duncan
Lebron :smokin

smeagol
06-20-2008, 05:32 AM

I know he does, but he was instrumental in only two of those championships.

No Manu = Spurs 2 rings.

smeagol
06-20-2008, 05:34 AM
so are you saying manu could start tanking games and it would be ok since he already earned his contract

Precisely what I'm saying :rolleyes

Isn't that what he did in the regular season, when Parker was injured and Duncan was sucking (tank games)?

Remeber those games were he carried the team? Basically no Manu and the Spurs barely make the play offs this year.

You fucking douche.

smeagol
06-20-2008, 05:35 AM
the so called other superstars also did not have 2 other superstars playing with himl

You mean Duncan and Bowen?

Slippy
06-20-2008, 06:44 AM

The way i see it . This boils down to his health and pro-longing his career. If you're getting paid 9 mill to play the game you love and on the best stage then thats where your priorities should lie. Manu of all peolple would put competitiveness over contentment so the idea of feeling like he's done his bit for the Spurs with 3 rings is just crazy. Going through the disappoinment of not being able to give his best shot at repeating would be still freshh on his mind.

He's already won the gold medal for Argentina. Maybe you're in the wrong for assuming he owes it to Argentina to risk his career with the Spurs. Manu will not do what-ever he likes since he's certainly not stupid.

smeagol
06-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Right, and the Spurs who pay him roughly 7.5M a year owe him nothing either

As long as there is a contract, they owe him money. If they feel Manu should not play for the Argie NT, and Manu plays, then they can trade him. It has not been the case in the past. Manu has played in a couple of summers, and has not played in others, such as the last summer when he felt his body needed a rest.

He will decide if he is fit or not to play this year in Beijing, depending if he is is healthy or not. He is a big boy and can decide for himself. He is also a pretty responsible athlete, and has proven this through the years.

Manu Ginobili's job, i.e. how he earns his income, is playing basketball for the San Antonio Spurs.

That is understood, but the NT is the NT team. Nobody has the right to stop a man from representing his country.

To play basketball, he makes more than 98% of the planet.

And?

His less than stellar condition was instrumental in the Spurs not winning a championship this year

His amazing regular season was the reason the Spurs ever made it to the playoffs.

NEXT

and should he play this summer, that condition will likely worsen.

And how do you know this? When did you get your medical degree?

Sounds to me like the employer has every right to be concerned and vigilant here.

Agreed.

The minute Manu gets on the court in Beijing, Pop (or his brain fart of a partner, RC Buford) needs to make it a priority to move him while his stock is relatively high.

Opinions are like assholes.

I remeber back in 2004, after Manu had a terrible game, you were of the same opinion, that Manu had to be traded. Boy were you wrong!

It's business Smeagol.

I'm with you. It is a business. Again, if Manu does something the Spurs are totally against, they should trade him. They can't force them not to do it.

All I'm saying is that Manu is a responsible, grown up individual. He listens to what Pop says and he reacts accordingly. But he also loves his country and knows this will be the last time he can play in the Olympics.

At the end of the day, trust he will make the right choice.

The Spurs need a 2 guard that can play NBA minutes without breaking down when the shit's on the line.

WTF? Everybody gets injured. When has Manu been injured in another key moment (ie, playoffs) that has cost us? Youn have no fucking memory.

Manu, despite playing bench minutes is consistently nursing some type of wound and this time it cost us.

Manu is as productive playing bench minutes as any other AS playing 40 minutes. Who the fuck cares he plays bench minutes. IIRC Duncan and Parker missed plenty of games during the regular season.

Manu had an ankle injury which was totally random. It had nothing to do with the way he plays the game. Your argument about him being a bench player or being constantly injured is bullshit.

smeagol
06-20-2008, 08:24 AM
Duncan makes less money (on his own accord) than Jermaine O'Neal....

Manu makes less money than so many scrubs, the list would occupy another three pages on this thread.

smeagol
06-20-2008, 08:26 AM
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol
yeah playing 2830 minutes a game
where most players that get paid what he does play 35-40

Manu is more productive in those 28 minutes, than your so called other players who play 35 and make as much as Manu.

Are you a Spurs fan? Do you watch Manu day in and day out? Do you understand what he brings to the table?

Fuck, all you care about is bashing Manu.

smeagol
06-20-2008, 08:30 AM
Fuck the Olympics, and fuck Argentina.

How about, Fuck You, fucking idiot.

If Manu values the Olympics over an NBA championship, then he's not the competitor some make him out to be.

Now that makes little sense, even for a moron such as yourself.

The NBA Championship is the REAL World Championship

Keep the moronic statements coming . . .

and as he's on our payroll,

So you own the man's soul?

the ONLY team he needs to worry about suiting up for the Spurs.

:sleep :sleep :sleep

You need a doze of reality.

diego
06-20-2008, 08:38 AM
this thread gets lamer every day.

just a hypothetical, if manu doesnt play in the olympics and STILL never recovers from this injury and becomes "grant hill" as so many are implying will automatically happen by participating in the olympics, will you all blame pop for riding him for 17 playoff games despite being injured (and ineffective to boot)? will you blame the other spurs' frailty/suckiness (parker, brent, duncan, bonner, finley) for forcing pop to ride him?? or will it still be argentina's fault, for playing manu last summer? oh wait, that didnt happen. i'm sure there's another reason for it to be argentina or manu's fault though. there's no way playing him on the injured ankle for 17 games could have anything to do with his current condition

this team doesnt deserve the fans it has. the same part of manu that let pop play him in the playoffs is the one that wants to play in the olympics, but spurs fans only like that about him when it suits them.

smeagol
06-20-2008, 08:43 AM

And you got his name 1000% wrong

smeagol
06-20-2008, 08:45 AM

Transalation:

I hate Manu because Parker lives in his shadow.

smeagol
06-20-2008, 08:45 AM
if he messes around and gets hurt
jr smith is more valuable then manu
a 60% manu is useless compared to 110% jr smith

You are beyond cure.

smeagol
06-20-2008, 08:47 AM
this team doesnt deserve the fans it has. the same part of manu that let pop play him in the playoffs is the one that wants to play in the olympics, but spurs fans only like that about him when it suits them.

Painfully true.

spurschick
06-20-2008, 10:07 AM
Wow... it's amazing how athletes become public domain once they become valuable. We can all have our opinions and there will obviously be influencers in the final decision, but it's Manu's life and, when all is said and done, he's the one who has to live with the decisions he makes. I think it's being ignored that it's probably killing him that he even has to make this kind of decision. An athlete's worse nightmare is injury. I'm sure he's more concerned about this injury affecting him long-term than short-term.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Manu is more productive in those 28 minutes, than your so called other players who play 35 and make as much as Manu.

Are you a Spurs fan? Do you watch Manu day in and day out? Do you understand what he brings to the table?

Fuck, all you care about is bashing Manu.

Ducks been a supporter of Manu off the bench strategy, therefore the reduced minutes. So it doesn't make sense for him to be bitching about Manu not keeping up with the services of his contract.
Manu actually asked Pop to increase his minutes to 35, or at least stated that's what he would prefer. You can't really argue with him and his irrational resentments. He's a little cuckoo. :lol

porscha
06-20-2008, 10:28 AM
smeagol...I'm your fan now:tu:tu:tu

Cherry
06-20-2008, 12:06 PM

that hurts

Wow... it's amazing how athletes become public domain once they become valuable. We can all have our opinions and there will obviously be influencers in the final decision, but it's Manu's life and, when all is said and done, he's the one who has to live with the decisions he makes. I think it's being ignored that it's probably killing him that he even has to make this kind of decision. An athlete's worse nightmare is injury. I'm sure he's more concerned about this injury affecting him long-term than short-term.

100% agree :tu

rj215
06-20-2008, 01:02 PM
First of all Pop isn't trading Manu. He just isn't. Why? Because he's our best scorer and playmaker right now, whether he's coming off the bench or starting.

Secondly, he shouldn't play for Argentina this year if he values NBA Championships. He'll ruin his career and could have the Spurs rethinking signing him to an extension when his contract runs out in a couple of years.

I think Azabuke would be a better fit than JR Smith because he plays defense and wouldn't be a headcase for Pop to deal with. I think at this point in his career, Pop just doesn't have the patience to deal with guys like him (no defense/doesn't listen).

We can't forget that the Spurs are targeting the 2010 offseason to really reload.

So bottom line... let's all calm down and se what Manu does. Hopefully he uses his head and not his heart.

Athenea
06-20-2008, 01:58 PM
Let's not forget that if Manu wouldn’t have won the Olympic Gold and by doing so beating the shit out of TD/Pop's team, our beloved coach wouldn't have ever considered him a borderline superstar. Manu would've remained a very good role player at most in Poop's mind…And admit it, in some of yours too.
BTW they r already in contract extension convos.

Athenea
06-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Transalation:

HAHAHHA
So true :lmao

Athenea
06-20-2008, 02:01 PM
this thread gets lamer every day.

just a hypothetical, if manu doesnt play in the olympics and STILL never recovers from this injury and becomes "grant hill" as so many are implying will automatically happen by participating in the olympics, will you all blame pop for riding him for 17 playoff games despite being injured (and ineffective to boot)? will you blame the other spurs' frailty/suckiness (parker, brent, duncan, bonner, finley) for forcing pop to ride him?? or will it still be argentina's fault, for playing manu last summer? oh wait, that didnt happen. i'm sure there's another reason for it to be argentina or manu's fault though. there's no way playing him on the injured ankle for 17 games could have anything to do with his current condition

Flip-flop fans...same'ol same'ol

brespursfan20
06-20-2008, 02:28 PM
I would like to know why there are so many people who are obviously not spurs fans on this message board??...Without Manu, Timmy, or Tony the Spurs would not be the Spurs!! I really hope he gets better and then we won't have to worry about him playing for Argentina or the Spurs...He can do both! With the Big 3 we can definately win another championship!! GO SPURS GO!!!!!

T Park
06-20-2008, 03:19 PM
I'm glad to see the Argentinian contingent coming in to vilify anyone who thinks Ginobili should put the team who he makes his living off of ahead of silly offseason crap.

T Park
06-20-2008, 03:20 PM
I would like to know why there are so many people who are obviously not spurs fans on this message board??...Without Manu, Timmy, or Tony the Spurs would not be the Spurs!! I really hope he gets better and then we won't have to worry about him playing for Argentina or the Spurs...He can do both! With the Big 3 we can definately win another championship!! GO SPURS GO!!!!!

So someone who believes he should rest this summer so hes 100% for the Spurs, is not a Spurs fan?

ooook.

pawe
06-20-2008, 03:38 PM
He doesnt have a lot of basketball time left on his body that's why playing in the olympics is so appealing to him. I doubt the argie NT would invite him for the next olympics squad after 4 years more of NBA basketball. I think he should play if the doctors give him a go signal, If he aggravates the injury then he can heal before the playoffs anyway.

smeagol
06-20-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm glad to see the Argentinian contingent coming in to vilify anyone who thinks Ginobili should put the team who he makes his living off of ahead of silly offseason crap.

I'm glad to see the simple-minded, USA-centric, miopic USA contigent vilifying the Argentines because, in their sad little one sided view of life, they think Manu's soul belongs to the Spurs.

beirmeistr
06-20-2008, 06:49 PM
As long as there is a contract, they owe him money. If they feel Manu should not play for the Argie NT, and Manu plays, then they can trade him. It has not been the case in the past. Manu has played in a couple of summers, and has not played in others, such as the last summer when he felt his body needed a rest.

He will decide if he is fit or not to play this year in Beijing, depending if he is is healthy or not. He is a big boy and can decide for himself. He is also a pretty responsible athlete, and has proven this through the years.

That is understood, but the NT is the NT team. Nobody has the right to stop a man from representing his country.

And?

His amazing regular season was the reason the Spurs ever made it to the playoffs.

NEXT

And how do you know this? When did you get your medical degree?

Agreed.

Opinions are like assholes.

I remeber back in 2004, after Manu had a terrible game, you were of the same opinion, that Manu had to be traded. Boy were you wrong!

I'm with you. It is a business. Again, if Manu does something the Spurs are totally against, they should trade him. They can't force them not to do it.

All I'm saying is that Manu is a responsible, grown up individual. He listens to what Pop says and he reacts accordingly. But he also loves his country and knows this will be the last time he can play in the Olympics.

At the end of the day, trust he will make the right choice.

WTF? Everybody gets injured. When has Manu been injured in another key moment (ie, playoffs) that has cost us? Youn have no fucking memory.

Manu is as productive playing bench minutes as any other AS playing 40 minutes. Who the fuck cares he plays bench minutes. IIRC Duncan and Parker missed plenty of games during the regular season.

Manu had an ankle injury which was totally random. It had nothing to do with the way he plays the game. Your argument about him being a bench player or being constantly injured is bullshit.

Right on, Smeagol.

ducks
06-20-2008, 06:58 PM
I know he does, but he was instrumental in only two of those championships.

No Manu = Spurs 2 rings.

yeah because spurs could not have gotten someone else liek jaren jackson to come up big in playoffs

ducks
06-20-2008, 07:02 PM
HAHAHHA
So true :lmao

no

I already know unless tp gets traded the spurs will rebuild around him
not manu

I have been a spurs fan since david robinson.
How long have you been a fan

if tp signs his next contract with lakers I will be a spur fan and still hate the lakers

phxspurfan
06-20-2008, 07:03 PM
no shitif he messes around and gets hurt

What if he messes around and gets a triple double

smeagol
06-20-2008, 07:14 PM
yeah because spurs could not have gotten someone else liek jaren jackson to come up big in playoffs

jaren jackson = Manu ????????????? :lol :lol :lol :lol

Please make a poll about this one, oh imbecile one . . .

ducks
06-20-2008, 08:08 PM
I am not saying manu is jaren jackson
I am just saying sometimes other players step up.

You act like noone ever could replace manu

ducks
06-20-2008, 08:08 PM
What if he messes around and gets a triple double

beings he is hurt more then he gets those I would not think it would be very possible

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-20-2008, 08:15 PM
I am not saying manu is jaren jackson
I am just saying sometimes other players step up.

You act like noone ever could replace manu
People can make up for his production

Manu's kind of like Robert Horry though....it'll be rare to find a guy who does the little things he does that makes coaches envy Pop.

spurschick
06-20-2008, 11:06 PM
There was life before Manu and there will be life after Manu. We should all be grateful for the time we have with our favorite athletes. His countrymen should be grateful for his many years with the national team and his contributions to its success. Spurs fans should be grateful for the 3 out of 4 championships the franchise wouldn't have won without him.

All of that being said....

Fuck you, basketball gods. Take more hair out of his head and leave the ankles alone. We're all not done with him yet.

rj215
06-20-2008, 11:46 PM
There was life before Manu and there will be life after Manu. We should all be grateful for the time we have with our favorite athletes. His countrymen should be grateful for his many years with the national team and his contributions to its success. Spurs fans should be grateful for the 3 out of 4 championships the franchise wouldn't have won without him.

All of that being said....

Fuck you, basketball gods. Take more hair out of his head and leave the ankles alone. We're all not done with him yet.

I wonder what all the pro-Manu folks would say if he gets even more hurt playing for Argentina? What if it costs him the begining of next season or worse what if it causes him to never be healthy for '08-'09? I don't know about you guys but as a REAL SPURS FAN first, I'd say sit this one out Manu. Everyone already knows how much you love your country and I doubt they'd hate you for trying to get healthy. Afterall your injury has gotten WORSE since you've been resting....that's gotta tell you something.

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2008, 11:59 PM
I don't really give a shit about the Olympics. It at least was somewhat interesting when pros weren't allowed to play.

The Big 3 could probably each use a break this summer. It looks like TP is making the most of his.

Tony's always been a top 5 favorite Spur for me anyways.

taps
06-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Transalation:

Are you talking about 2007 Playoffs MVP Tony Parker? Why are you taking this out on Tony? What has he done to you? Didn't he go basket-for-basket with CP3 in the WCSF? This team has always been about players filling needs when Pop & staff see a weakness they can exploit, not relying on MJ going nuts night in and out (that's Jackson's weakness.) TD was big in Rd 1, TP9 in WCSF, Brent in the WCF.

I already know unless tp gets traded the spurs will rebuild around him

My sentiments exactly.

"All right, listen. Next time something like this happens I want you to stop, take a deep breath, and pull your heads out of each other's asses."

TMTTRIO
06-21-2008, 12:14 AM
^even if Manu gets healthy enough to play I'm also concerned about him staying healthy and not getting reinjured but I understand how much he loves his country and wants to play for them. If he can heal I would say go for it. I do think that we need to get a younger athletic swingman so we can not rely and play him so much next year and can save him for the playoffs.

carina_gino20
06-21-2008, 03:45 AM

BINGO. We all give free reign to our opinions because it's a messageboard. But we're all just fans enjoying the show. Will some of you please cut down on the hate and just imagine how the guy has to be feeling right now? It's the same as when they lose games, or have another championship run end prematurely. We get disappointed, curse them, and blow off steam for a couple of days, maybe a week. But THEY carry the stigma, not us. And I don't care if they earn millions, they're still human beings.

roycrikside
06-21-2008, 04:39 AM
I've read this whole thread and learned nothing that I already didn't know.

1) Ducks HATES Manu, openly wishes for him to be traded for some random African-American shooting guard and is openly jealous that he's the second best player on the Spurs, not Tony.

2) TPark is a xenophobic Republican nitwit who would totally want Manu to kick ass in the Olympics if he was born in Des Moines, Iowa instead of Bahia Blanca, Argentina

3) Argentinian Manu fans don't much care about Spurs fans' problems because in their minds Americans don't appreciate Manu as much as they should in the first place (the flopper labels, calling him soft for the injury, etc.)

4) Most Spurs fans don't care about Argentina fans' problems because they're too uneducated to find Argentina on a map.

5) Manu's not a dummy. If he's healthy enough to play, he'll play, if he's not, he won't, and no matter what decision he makes, the people who liked him before will defend it and the people who disliked him before will criticize it. He could regain his health, win another gold and the MVP of the tournament and the usual suspects here will be upset with him for not resting and "jeopardizing" the Spurs chances in '09. He could sit out the whole summer and get injured in the regular season anyway and they'll rip him for being injury prone and wish he could've been traded in the off season. I mean, at this point it's pretty obvious that Manu could save Ducks from a burning building and Ducks would still rip him the next day, so why bother commenting?

smeagol
06-21-2008, 07:18 AM

1) Ducks HATES Manu, openly wishes for him to be traded for some random African-American shooting guard and is openly jealous that he's the second best player on the Spurs, not Tony.

2) TPark is a xenophobic Republican nitwit who would totally want Manu to kick ass in the Olympics if he was born in Des Moines, Iowa instead of Bahia Blanca, Argentina

3) Argentinian Manu fans don't much care about Spurs fans' problems because in their minds Americans don't appreciate Manu as much as they should in the first place (the flopper labels, calling him soft for the injury, etc.)

4) Most Spurs fans don't care about Argentina fans' problems because they're too uneducated to find Argentina on a map.

5) Manu's not a dummy. If he's healthy enough to play, he'll play, if he's not, he won't, and no matter what decision he makes, the people who liked him before will defend it and the people who disliked him before will criticize it. He could regain his health, win another gold and the MVP of the tournament and the usual suspects here will be upset with him for not resting and "jeopardizing" the Spurs chances in '09. He could sit out the whole summer and get injured in the regular season anyway and they'll rip him for being injury prone and wish he could've been traded in the off season. I mean, at this point it's pretty obvious that Manu could save Ducks from a burning building and Ducks would still rip him the next day, so why bother commenting?

:toast

spurschick
06-21-2008, 07:39 AM
I wonder what all the pro-Manu folks would say if he gets even more hurt playing for Argentina?

Live and let live. It's just like when family members make decisions that end up being bad ones. You shake off the dust and still love and support them. There's talk that the injury may have him sitting on the bench the beginning of the season anyway. The bright side is that he looks good in suit. As we've just seen, we need Manu healthy in the post-season more than the regular season. He spent a good chunk of time on the bench his rookie season and that end pretty well.

rj215
06-21-2008, 09:14 AM
Live and let live. It's just like when family members make decisions that end up being bad ones. You shake off the dust and still love and support them. There's talk that the injury may have him sitting on the bench the beginning of the season anyway. The bright side is that he looks good in suit. As we've just seen, we need Manu healthy in the post-season more than the regular season. He spent a good chunk of time on the bench his rookie season and that end pretty well.

No one wants Manu to be healthy and happy than me. I've been following him back when he had more hair on his head than on his face. Hopefully he can get us a few more rings before Timmy and Pop decide to ride off into the sunset in 2012.

greens
06-21-2008, 09:35 PM

That about sums it up.

I especially agree on #1. It's getting to be too predictable.

Manudona
06-21-2008, 10:02 PM

This post should end the thread

angelbelow
06-21-2008, 11:58 PM
its a honorable thing that he still wants to play for his country. i willl be cheering for him if he plays.

Manufan909
06-23-2008, 02:50 AM

+ 1,000,000,000

Too true. I hoped for Manu to play in the Olympics and show America AGAIN that teamwork demolishes a bunch of roped together Allstars, but if he's too hurt so be it. But I'l support him either way. It would be the best for the Spurs if he sat out, but everyone should let Manu decide, and then deal with the consequences.

AC#21_TD ERA
06-23-2008, 03:13 AM
Now do see why i said to trade him for Artest or Anthony. Its time to face facts. Trade him while he still has value his body needs a whole summer off to recover. If Ginobili plays for Argentina then trade him. He's already won the olympics. Just sit it out Manu or get traded.

anakha
06-23-2008, 03:17 AM
Now do see why i said to trade him for Artest or Anthony. Its time to face facts. Trade him while he still has value his body needs a whole summer off to recover. If Ginobili plays for Argentina then trade him. He's already won the olympics. Just sit it out Manu or get traded.

Second verse, same as the first.

:sleep

peskypesky
06-23-2008, 09:51 AM
I sure am glad that Pop decided to give a seriously injured player so many minutes in the WCF. It may have sunk our team, but it does send out a message that the Spurs will not discriminate against the disabled.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-23-2008, 05:58 PM

/Laker fans

So please tell me watson, the MRIs are all fake? the doctors are bullshitting everyone?

:downspin: