PDA

View Full Version : CD/DVD drive won't ready any disc I put in?

Sigz
06-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Okay all of a sudden.. my CD/DVD drive stopped reading any disc I put in. It was working fine yesterday, but today if I put a disc in, nothing will start or even autorun.

Whether it was a dvd movie, audio cd, burned cd/dvd, game,nothing will read.

I go to my computer and see the drive there, but when the disc is in, nothing happens at all.

Have any of you had any problems like this?

"Crosses fingers"

Heath Ledger
06-19-2008, 12:03 PM
sometimes reformatting ur harddrive and reinstalling your os will solve this unless its a hardware failure with the drive itself there are also cd dvd drive diagnostic tools u can download to test ur drive also do a virus and spyware scan

dougp
06-19-2008, 12:31 PM
sometimes reformatting ur harddrive and reinstalling your os will solve this unless its a hardware failure with the drive itself there are also cd dvd drive diagnostic tools u can download to test ur drive also do a virus and spyware scan

Uhm, that's the last ditch effort.

OP, how much do you know about computers? Are you on a laptop or desktop? If it's a laptop, pull out the drive and reseat it. If you're on a desktop, pop open the side and take a look at the back of the drive, making sure that the cables are seated properly. Also, does the CD even spin up once you put it in, or does the drive just open?

Heath Ledger
06-19-2008, 01:15 PM
i gave the poster afew options aside from formattig common sense would dictate that a refomat is a last option, the reseating reccomendation is a good one but is hardly ever the issue.

drives are also very cheap to replace, dvd burners now $30-$40 maybe cheaper on ebay or craigslist.

balli
06-19-2008, 01:17 PM
drives are also very cheap to replace, dvd burners now $30-$40 maybe cheaper on ebay or craigslist.
Seriously. If the cables are all plugged in and it still doesn't work, I wouldn't even try to fix it, I'd just head to http://newegg.com and buy a new one.

spurster
06-19-2008, 01:43 PM
In San Antonio, drive to Altex and get a new one for $30.

sabar
06-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Your laser is probably messed up. If you know how, take it apart and clean the laser with a q-tip and some alchohol and see if it's not grossly misaligned or something. Otherwise, buy a new one. Troubleshooting cd/dvd-rom drives is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Sigz
06-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Uhm, that's the last ditch effort.

OP, how much do you know about computers? Are you on a laptop or desktop? If it's a laptop, pull out the drive and reseat it. If you're on a desktop, pop open the side and take a look at the back of the drive, making sure that the cables are seated properly. Also, does the CD even spin up once you put it in, or does the drive just open?

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Yes, I am using a desktop. I'm not to shabby with working computer knowledge.. but with the mechanics and parts, I'm kind of dull.

When I put the CD in, it doesn't even spin at all. The drive opens, I put the disc in, shut it, and nothing happens.

When you say pop open the side, you mean the side of the "motherboard" I guess yo u call it? Do the cords run along the side or form the back?

dougp
06-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone!

Yes, I am using a desktop. I'm not to shabby with working computer knowledge.. but with the mechanics and parts, I'm kind of dull.

When I put the CD in, it doesn't even spin at all. The drive opens, I put the disc in, shut it, and nothing happens.

When you say pop open the side, you mean the side of the "motherboard" I guess yo u call it? Do the cords run along the side or form the back?

Open the side of the case - opposite of the motherboard, and if it's not spinning up, chances are either the power plug juggle loose or the motor is dead. You're probably looking at a new drive ...

Sigz
06-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Open the side of the case - opposite of the motherboard, and if it's not spinning up, chances are either the power plug juggle loose or the motor is dead. You're probably looking at a new drive ...

Yeah, I'm just going to say fuck it and buy a new one.

Thanks for all of the help though! :toast

E20
06-20-2008, 12:44 AM
Try updating your drivers. If you download ImgBurn (It is a software that burns ISO's and other stuff), it has an option to search for new drivers for your hardware and lead you to the site for the files. Or maybe it is your lens, my lens on my CD/DVD writing drive is dead and won't burn anything and it takes a longer time than my other drive to read discs and I've tried everything to see it could burn something.

exstatic
06-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Your laser is probably messed up. If you know how, take it apart and clean the laser with a q-tip and some alchohol and see if it's not grossly misaligned or something. Otherwise, buy a new one. Troubleshooting cd/dvd-rom drives is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Or fixing a Bic pen. Or taking a Hamster to the vet.

ROM drives are rarely worth spending more than 10 minutes trying to diagnose.