PDA

View Full Version : Jemele Hill suspended from ESPN.com

Gino
06-19-2008, 10:18 AM
ESPN.com columnist Jemele Hill was suspended yesterday after sparking outrage by comparing rooting for the Boston to Adolf Hitler and nuclear war.

“Jemele has been relieved of her writing and on-air responsibilities for a period of time to reflect on the impact of her words,” ESPN spokesman Paul Melvin said in an e-mailed statement yesterday.

Yesterday, Hill amplified on her earlier apology for writing, “Rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim. It’s like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan.”

Of course, I thought she should have been suspended for writing THIS (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/070326&sportCat=nba&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos2)

Findog
06-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Yes!

Findog
06-19-2008, 10:33 AM
IMO, what she wrote was not offensive, just hyperbole, but we live in a very p.c. world now. But hey, she's a shitty hack writer, so I'll take that result either way.

monosylab1k
06-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Aww that's too bad......I didn't want her to get suspended, I just wanted her to die in a fire.

monosylab1k
06-19-2008, 10:43 AM
this was only like her 4th most offensive statement. The Kobe > Jordan article was probably the most offensive thing I've ever read in my life. Then there was that time she said Dirk & Nash "shamelessly" stole MVP trophies from more deserving (i.e. black) players.

rAm
06-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Well I think reading Jemele Hill's writing is comparable to living in a rice hut in Hiroshima on August 6th, 1945.

JamStone
06-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Aww that's too bad......I didn't want her to get suspended, I just wanted her to die in a fire.

+1

after being locked in a cage of biting red fire ants

cajunspur
06-19-2008, 10:58 AM
She is more proof that ESPN shouldnt have women writers or commentators. Except for hot sideline reporters which they dont have many of anymore

Gino
06-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Well I think reading Jemele Hill's writing is comparable to living in a rice hut in Hiroshima on August 6th, 1945.

:rollin:toast

MavDynasty
06-19-2008, 11:25 AM
She is more proof that ESPN shouldnt have women writers or commentators. Except for hot sideline reporters which they dont have many of anymore

they got that milf michele tafoya

cajunspur
06-19-2008, 11:31 AM
they got that milf michele tafoya

I wouldnt call michelle tafoya a milf. She is not that attractive. Erin Andrews is the only hot one I can think of on ESPN

ElNono
06-19-2008, 11:32 AM

I don't think it's a sex issue. They have all these 'experts' who are as much of a hack as this one bitch. The biggest problem with BSPN is in the talent selection dept.

Gino
06-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Funny that Hill claims that Kobe is better since he scored 50 points in 4 straight games (which Jordan never did).

Of course Jordan was able to score when it really mattered (in the finals):

Jordan holds the NBA Finals record for highest single-series scoring average (41.0 ppg in 1993)

TheProfessor
06-19-2008, 11:41 AM
What, they don't have editors? Or did they also get suspended for letting that go to print?

endrity
06-19-2008, 11:49 AM
I think ESPN has too many entertainers trying to act like experts. I understand that they might be good for ratings, but they are turning off a lot of true fans of various sports.

ESPN.com has a couple of good writers on the NBA, but their TV coverage is awful. Look, Mike Wilbon is nice and all, but he is no NBA expert and know a lot less than the average poster in here. Can't they have some NBA coach providing the technical analysis of the game, and then maybe some ESPN geek who remembers everything that happened in the NBA in the past 10 years. They would provide so much more information on the game.

TNT is way better than ESPN on their NBA coverage.

rAm
06-19-2008, 11:57 AM
I wouldnt call michelle tafoya a milf. She is not that attractive. Erin Andrews is the only hot one I can think of on ESPN

I would ruin Rachel Nicole's ass if I got the chance.

Red Hawk #21
06-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Jemele Hill's ugly anyway...

MavDynasty
06-19-2008, 12:19 PM

Your a female though unless your lesbian?

And dont give me that your a man bullshit

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-19-2008, 12:22 PM

:lol

Findog
06-19-2008, 12:44 PM

Kevin Garnett would beg to differ

balli
06-19-2008, 01:14 PM

I always get the feeling that a bunch of NBA players already have. I think she has a secret second life as an NBA groupie. But yes, without going into graphic detail, she's the type of girl who I would do despicable things to.

1Parker1
06-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Isn't this a violation of "freedom of press?" Or because technically her columns are technically "owned" by ESPN, they can choose to intepret and make action how they see fit?

cajunspur
06-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Your a female though unless your lesbian?

And dont give me that your a man bullshit

oh man you are so funny. Try to call the guy that hates the wnba a female. How ironic? You are so ironic. thats hilarious. Only 10 people have already tried to do this to be funny and it hasnt worked once. Look I have not seen you post until today. Let me catch you up:
- I know more about basketball than you could dream
- The WNBA sucks
- You are not funny
- Curtismedellin is a fag
- If you think a comeback to me is original, research it. It has probably been tried before.
- I wouldnt get into an argument with me. I am roughly 68-0 against the board.

urunobili
06-19-2008, 01:26 PM
wtf? unreal i really like her...

Ludovician
06-19-2008, 01:30 PM
She wasn't suspended for her constant race baiting?

balli
06-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Oh really. Cause I seem to remember timvp bitch slapping the shit out of you just about harder then I've ever seen someone on a message board get owned in my entire life.
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98130

(not to mention the countless other times that several other people have made me laugh my ass off at you. Not to mention all the times you've just embarrased yourself to an incredible degree without anyone elses help) Is being a piece of shit like this seriously your life? I mean, you're just a sad little joke right, or do you actually believe in yourself and the shit you say?

Leetonidas
06-19-2008, 01:43 PM
I always get the feeling that a bunch of NBA players already have. I think she has a secret second life as an NBA groupie. But yes, without going into graphic detail, she's the type of girl who I would do despicable things to.

I've never heard anyone use that phrase besides myself. Kudos man. :lol :toast

TeyshaBlue
06-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Oh really. Cause I seem to remember timvp bitch slapping the shit out of you just about harder then I've ever seen someone on a message board get owned in my entire life.

(not to mention the countless other times that several other people have made me laugh my ass off at you. Not to mention all the times you've just embarrased yourself to an incredible degree without anyone elses help) Is being a piece of shit like this seriously your life? I mean, you're just a sad little joke right, or do you actually believe in yourself and the shit you say?

pwnd...massively.

Skele-Jester
06-19-2008, 01:47 PM
I have a gorgeous wife thank you very much.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98130&page=2

My fiancee cooks breakfast for me.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99298&page=2

:huh

cajunspur
06-19-2008, 02:04 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98130&page=2

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99298&page=2

:huh

I am engaged. Getting married very soon. I throw the word wife out there sometimes because I hate the word fiancee. Nice work though.

monosylab1k
06-19-2008, 02:04 PM
oh man you are so funny. Try to call the guy that hates the wnba a female. How ironic? You are so ironic. thats hilarious. Only 10 people have already tried to do this to be funny and it hasnt worked once. Look I have not seen you post until today. Let me catch you up:
- The WNBA sucks
- You are not funny
- If you think a comeback to me is original, research it. It has probably been tried before.

:lmao greatest troll ever. seriously, this is some good shit.

cajunspur
06-19-2008, 02:06 PM
pwnd...massively.

hey another internet dork whips out the pwnd term. Wow this place is full of losers

monosylab1k
06-19-2008, 02:08 PM
She wasn't suspended for her constant race baiting?

ESPN approves of that sort of thing, otherwise Scoop Jackson wouldn't have a job.

TeyshaBlue
06-19-2008, 02:09 PM
hey another internet dork whips out the pwnd term. Wow this place is full of losers

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...t=98130&page=2

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthre...t=99298&page=2

I am engaged. Getting married very soon. I throw the word wife out there sometimes because I hate the word fiancee. Nice work though.

:lmao:lmao:lmao

68-0. :rolleyes

cajunspur
06-19-2008, 02:09 PM

Yeah timvp was releasing my name and where I work. It is kind of an unfair battle there. I have never been in an argument with him really. He got mad at me there and I wasnt mad at him. Not really an argument. Also I have dominated every argument I have had on here. Especially with you. You suck at arguing with people, probably because you are so high you get confused easily.
A list of people I have dominated in arguments:
- Deb
- Curtis Medellin
- Mavs<Spurs
- Kori Ellis
- Ballijuana
- nbadan
- mannyisgod
- supergirl
there are a lot of others, but those pop in my head first.

cajunspur
06-19-2008, 02:10 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/show...t=98130&page=2

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthre...t=99298&page=2

:lmao:lmao:lmao

68-0. :rolleyes

Well the record still stands. It wasnt an argument. The person did good research. I am engaged getting married soon, and dont like the term fiancee. Simple as that. Hornetsgumboballs could attest to this if he wasnt banned.

also both the threads give me a 404-notfound when I click on them.

Teysha are you a female or male?

TeyshaBlue
06-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Well the record still stands. It wasnt an argument. The person did good research. I am engaged getting married soon, and dont like the term fiancee. Simple as that. Hornetsgumboballs could attest to this if he wasnt banned.

also both the threads give me a 404-notfound when I click on them.

Teysha are you a female or male?

About 3 seconds of work from a genius like you should be sufficient to answer that question, slick.:rolleyes

balli
06-19-2008, 02:13 PM
I feel so damn bad for the imaginary fiancee it isn't even funny.

balli
06-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Would somebody pink this clown already?

cajunspur
06-19-2008, 02:17 PM
I feel so damn bad for the imaginary fiancee it isn't even funny.

She isn't imaginary. She is a great girl.

cajunspur
06-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Would somebody pink this clown already?

How do you "pink" someone

cajunspur
06-19-2008, 02:19 PM
About 3 seconds of work from a genius like you should be sufficient to answer that question, slick.:rolleyes

I dont feel like doing work to find out. You could just tell me and not waste my time and your time. MY guess is you are a female.

why are you on a sports forum? You should go back to bed bath and beyonds forum or Oprahs book club forum. This is for guys to discuss sports. Go read my basketball lessons so you can pretend you know something about basketball.

TeyshaBlue
06-19-2008, 02:25 PM
I dont feel like doing work to find out. You could just tell me and not waste my time and your time. MY guess is you are a female.

why are you on a sports forum? You should go back to bed bath and beyonds forum or Oprahs book club forum. This is for guys to discuss sports. Go read my basketball lessons so you can pretend you know something about basketball.

*sigh*

I see you are as intellectually lazy as you are a poor debater.

Female? Wrong again.:rolleyes You can probably figure it out now...

Why are you on a sports forum? I don't really care.
Your little lessons are good for the noobs.

I was a noob about 40 years ago, junior. :downspin:

RonMexico
06-19-2008, 02:43 PM
IMO, what she wrote was not offensive, just hyperbole, but we live in a very p.c. world now. But hey, she's a shitty hack writer, so I'll take that result either way.

Exactly - I don't care what she wrote; and the fact she's suspended just draws more attention to a couple relatively innocuous sentences. But I just think she's a terrible writer who annoys me more than enlightens me.

RonMexico
06-19-2008, 02:45 PM
ESPN approves of that sort of thing, otherwise Scoop Jackson wouldn't have a job.

Don't forget that today is Juneteenth.

curtismedellin
06-19-2008, 02:53 PM
- The WNBA sucks
- You are not funny

Wow i made a list???
...a fag. Whoa that comeback was original. I bet no one has used that before.
Listen i just give you constructive criticism, you don't have to read it.

Now get off the board and clean your house before your man comes home.

Bitch

J.T.
06-19-2008, 03:02 PM
cajunspur, convince me that the current Dallas Cowboys team doesn't suck. Or that Michael Vick shouldn't be in jail.

JamStone
06-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Isn't this a violation of "freedom of press?" Or because technically her columns are technically "owned" by ESPN, they can choose to intepret and make action how they see fit?

Freedom of the press involves mostly government control or restraints on a the press being able to express opinion. It's different when it's an actual employment relationship and the employer chooses to take action against a press writer because of what he or she wrote.

jack sommerset
06-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Pretty pathetic. If you look at the shows espn puts on the air in the afternoon it does not surprise me. They want debates,arguements,put downs. They pit these commentators up against each other like gladiators.

She crossed the line. Its really stupid what she said but I say ESPN encourages it and now to cover there disney owned ass they suspended her.

T Park
06-19-2008, 03:34 PM

Shes an employee that did something stupid and is being disciplined. Nothing to see here.

monosylab1k
06-19-2008, 03:39 PM
After this whole incident, this old article of hers is interesting to look back on -

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/070410

:lmao she accuses Imus of making a career out of race baiting. Pot meet kettle.

T Park
06-19-2008, 03:40 PM
After this whole incident, this old article of hers is interesting to look back on -

Good god, no kidding :lol

Marklar MM
06-19-2008, 03:41 PM
As said previously, are there no editors at ESPN for this kind of shit.

monosylab1k
06-19-2008, 03:45 PM
what's funny is that Bill Simmons has been at odds with ESPN for years for constantly censoring his articles before it hits the website. But some idiot out there gave the thumbs-up to this.

nashzilla
06-19-2008, 04:54 PM
good. the bitch is worthless.

Gino
06-19-2008, 06:39 PM

Nice.

O-Factor
06-19-2008, 07:10 PM

+1!

O-Factor
06-19-2008, 07:12 PM

Fuck Scoop Jackson too.

milkyway21
06-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Jemele Hill the same person who wrote that article that if we want to see a conspiracy-free basketball we should root for a Spurs-Detroit match-up in the finals not the Lakers-Celtics, right? well, she is I think straight-forward and gutsy.

I like that article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/080523&sportCat=nba

trueD
06-20-2008, 02:28 AM
:lmao greatest troll ever. seriously, this is some good shit.

I know it's off-topic...but I have been trying to figure out a way to say this exact same thing: This troll is great! I'm a huge fan of the B-ball 101 threads.

ChumpDumper
06-20-2008, 02:58 AM
So she is suspended for the time most basketball writers go on vacation?

Brutal.

Obstructed_View
06-21-2008, 05:49 AM
ESPN actually disciplines a black woman? To quote Danyelle Sargent: "What the fuck was that"?

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-21-2008, 09:52 AM
ESPN actually disciplines a black woman? To quote Danyelle Sargent: "What the fuck was that"?

:lol