PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Center To Be Powered By Wind

sa_butta
06-19-2008, 03:00 PM
SAN ANTONIO (AP) - The arena where the San Antonio Spurs play will be powered solely by wind-generated electricity for the next two years.

Spurs owner Peter Holt said Wednesday that the energy switch is part of an initiative to make the AT&T Center the greenest arena in the U.S.

"We are exploring recycling and water conservation ideas as well," Holt said in a press release. "We really want to be a model for arenas across the country regarding sensitivity to the environment."

The arena has been powered with "Windtricity" from CPS Energy since June 1.

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=4e618dd8-ddad-46d7-8bda-0877aa974db4

T Park
06-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Oh for christ sakes...

urunobili
06-19-2008, 03:02 PM
awesome! i love my Spurs always being one step ahead! props to Holt and the organization on such a classy move :tu

T Park
06-19-2008, 03:03 PM
BTW, for the people that call the ownership "cheap" this isn't cheap.

Its windpower, its green, but its not the green he champions. Its expensive as F.

urunobili
06-19-2008, 03:05 PM

Its windpower, its green, but its not the green he champions. Its expensive as F.

you use your money once to build the thing.. then it's not only green but free... the batteries maybe the only thing that has to be replaced but overall this should be cheaper in the long run than paying the electricity bill... :wakeup

T Park
06-19-2008, 03:07 PM
you use your money once to build the thing.. then it's not only green but free... the batteries maybe the only thing that has to be replaced but overall this should be cheaper in the long run than paying the electricity bill... :wakeup

Its a scam.

urunobili
06-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Its a scam.

what is a scam? :rolleyes

Extra Stout
06-19-2008, 03:28 PM
When Bill Walton comes to town, the turbine might trip on overspeed.

midgetonadonkey
06-19-2008, 03:28 PM
Its a scam.

How is it a scam?

remingtonbo2001
06-19-2008, 03:31 PM
You also have to have labor to maintain and manage the generators.

That's obviously not including the intial cost.

However, in the long run, if maintained properly, I'd imagine it would save quite a bit of money.

T Park
06-19-2008, 03:31 PM
How is it a scam?

I should say it has the potentials to be scammed.

leemajors
06-19-2008, 03:34 PM
they probably contracted a company that already has the facility. Apple's campus here in austin does the same thing, the facility is out in west texas.

CubanMustGo
06-19-2008, 03:57 PM
Windtricity is a CPS program. CPS does the contracting. Anyone in CPS' service region can sign up for it if they are willing to pay the premium price (9.9 cents per kWh). According to CPS' web site that's $16.62/month additional per 1000 kWh used (or 1.6 cents per kWh). No big deal, Holt will just pass on the additional cost to ticket-holders.

I support wind power. What always pisses me off, though, is that no matter what the 'standard' energy cost is, wind costs more. Quite frankly living in Dallas I would kill (or severely maim) to pay the 'inflated' 9.9 cent rate CPS charges for wind power. Up here electric rates are like 13-15 cents per kWh but wind power still costs about 10-15% more. So our friendly TXUs, Reliants, Gexas, and the rest are all getting HUGE profits off of wind if CPS can sell wind power for 40% less and still make money.

T Park
06-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Windtricity is a CPS program. CPS does the contracting. Anyone in CPS' service region can sign up for it if they are willing to pay the premium price (9.9 cents per kWh). According to CPS' web site that's $16.62/month additional per 1000 kWh used (or 1.6 cents per kWh). No big deal, Holt will just pass on the additional cost to ticket-holders.

I support wind power. What always pisses me off, though, is that no matter what the 'standard' energy cost is, wind costs more. Quite frankly living in Dallas I would kill (or severely maim) to pay the 'inflated' 9.9 cent rate CPS charges for wind power. Up here electric rates are like 13-15 cents per kWh but wind power still costs about 10-15% more.

Wait till one day when one of those news "I Teams" discovers your paying premium for the wind energy and its actually all just coming from the same source.

Das Texan
06-19-2008, 05:13 PM
we should put solar panels on the roofs also. Then Holt wouldnt even have to pay CPS and he could probably make a buck or two during the offseason.

boutons_
06-19-2008, 05:36 PM
the solar panels could cover the entire parking lot, a much larger area than the roof. Solar voltaic panels are coming way down in price while progressing in efficiency.

Solar thermal is right there,too.

Harry Callahan
06-19-2008, 06:20 PM
As a supplementary measure, CPS is also hooking up a pipeline from Mi Tierra to the AT & T center to take advantage of all the methane gas being generated there as well to power the arena when the windmills aren't turning.

DynastyBuilder
06-19-2008, 06:29 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99447

jack sommerset
06-19-2008, 06:33 PM

I have a feeling the city of SA will be flipping the bill.

Biggems
06-19-2008, 06:40 PM
nevermind all the thousands of birds that are dying each year cause of those windfarms......so we stop raping the ground of oil.....instead we kill off a ton of birds.....so we lose either way.

Walton Buys Off Me
06-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Maybe it was 'wind' that fouled Barry in game 4......

m33p0
06-19-2008, 07:37 PM

F-U-C-K. go ahead and try it. it won't bite you. if you're going to curse, go for the gold.

Das Texan
06-19-2008, 08:09 PM
the solar panels could cover the entire parking lot, a much larger area than the roof. Solar voltaic panels are coming way down in price while progressing in efficiency.

that it is. every day solar panels go down in price. It would be a bit more of a hassle to do it in the parking lots, unless you are going to suspend them in the air, which I assume you would do. But really I would assume pasting them all over the roof would be more than enough to power the entire facility and then some.

Das Texan
06-19-2008, 08:09 PM

Maybe it was 'wind' that fouled Barry in game 4......

i thought you were dead walton.

ShoogarBear
06-19-2008, 09:21 PM
That's nothing. The AAC has been powered by wind for years.

http://threeminds.organic.com/images/threeminds_legacy/images/mark_cuban.jpg

T Park
06-19-2008, 10:44 PM
I have a feeling the city of SA will be flipping the bill.

Seeing as the arena is owned by the county thats doubtfull :)

milkyway21
06-19-2008, 10:45 PM
That's nothing. The AAC has been powered by wind for years.

http://threeminds.organic.com/images/threeminds_legacy/images/mark_cuban.jpg
:lol

T Park
06-19-2008, 10:45 PM
we should put solar panels on the roofs also. Then Holt wouldnt even have to pay CPS and he could probably make a buck or two during the offseason.

But then ATT wouldn't have their logo showing up twords the sky.

oligarchy
06-19-2008, 10:47 PM
The city owns CPS Energy.

lefty
06-19-2008, 11:14 PM
You also have to have labor to maintain and manage the generators.

That's obviously not including the intial cost.

However, in the long run, if maintained properly, I'd imagine it would save quite a bit of money.

That's what they tried to do with Finley last season.

Didn't work