PDA

View Full Version : Stoudemire wont play in the Olympics...

xtremesteven33
06-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Suns star Amaré Stoudemire declined the opportunity to be an Olympian this summer for USA Basketball.

Jerry Colangelo, managing director for the USA Basketball senior men's national team, said today that Stoudemire is not on the 12-man Olympic roster that will be announced Monday in Chicago.

"Amaré has pulled himself out of consideration for the roster and that's predicated on, despite the fact that he's had an injury-free year coming back (from knee surgeries in 2005 and 2006), he's a little hesitant on pushing the envelope too hard," Colangelo said.

Stoudemire has not returned calls on the Olympic matter.

It was clear that the Suns power forward had a spot on the team if he wanted when Colangelo said in April, "I'm assuming he's in."

Stoudemire expressed reservations about the health of his knees at the time. He talked about the need for a basketball break to be fully healthy for the next Suns season but also said he would play "without a doubt" and "without a hesitation" if he was 100 percent.

"It's more than a year-round grind," Stoudemire told The Republic during this year's playoffs. "It's last year and the year before that and the year before that. It's really been like a three-year-round basketball circuit. Coming back from microfracture (surgery in 2006), I tried out with the USA Basketball then and played a few months then. Then went into the training camp in the NBA and had the season last year. Came back and played USA Basketball last summer and came back for training camp this year and played this season. So it's a lot going on after the microfracture (in 2005), after the knee surgery (in 2006). I just want to make sure I'm ready to handle that."

Stoudemire played on the national team last year in the FIBA Americas Championship. He came off the bench behind Orlando's Dwight Howard, ranking fifth in scoring (11.0) and fourth in rebounding (4.7) on the gold medal team.

Stoudemire also withdrew from the 2006 national team before it left for the World Championship because he was coming back from a right knee arthroscopy.

"Three years ago, I had great interest in seeing Amaré wear a USA uniform and represent the US, USA Basketball and the Phoenix Suns in the Olympics in Beijing," said Colangelo, who is still an adviser to the Suns as team chairman and was CEO in 2002 when he had a major voice in drafting Stoudemire. "Obviously, a lot has happened in his life with the microfracture, the comeback, etc. Unfortunately, that's not going to be a reality."

Stoudemire, 25, was sixth in NBA Most Valuable Player voting this season, when he averaged 23.2 points and 9.1 rebounds. He was also the All-NBA second team center, collecting the sixth-most points in voting.

The schedule for the USA Basketball team, which still has ex-Suns coach Mike D'Antoni as an assistant, would have kept Stoudemire busy for the next two months. Players report to Las Vegas for a June 27-29 minicamp and reconvene there for a July 20-25 training camp before leaving for Asia on July 26, where they will remain until Olympic basketball competition concludes Aug. 24.

The coming NBA season is important for Stoudemire, who is eligible for a contract extension next summer.

"That's one thing, but health is the most important for me," Stoudemire said in April. "I want to make sure I'm totally healthy to play the game of basketball. I want to have a long career, and I just want to make the right strides toward doing that."

Suns guard Leandro Barbosa said he also is not participating with his Brazilian national team, which much play in a final qualifying tournament in Greece in July. He said he needs the rest.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/06/19/20080619amare.html

T Park
06-19-2008, 03:37 PM
He actually DOES have a brain.

xtremesteven33
06-19-2008, 03:40 PM
Amare off the olympic team is a big time loss

Gino
06-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Bummer.

milkyway21
06-19-2008, 10:53 PM
I heard & read in the news Tayhaun Prince made it to the Beijing team.

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/102278/Pistons-Tayshaun-Prince-makes-US-team---NBA-source

Congrats & good luck:tu

pawe
06-20-2008, 01:06 AM
Amare and Dhoward's play is almost the same so he's not going to be a big loss for the USA.

balli
06-20-2008, 01:11 AM
I really, really wish chump ass Boozer wasn't going. No effort fuck doesn't deserve it.

JMarkJohns
06-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Amare and Dhoward's play is almost the same so he's not going to be a big loss for the USA.

This is almost laughable, unless the Amare you've been watching is from 2002-03 and 2003-04. The next time I see Howard take his man off the dribble from 20 feet out or pull up and hit an 18-foot jumper it will be the first time.

Your comparison of the two is an insult to both Howard's defense and rebounding and Amare's offense.

Amare is a significant loss. He's not a starter, so it isn't as significant as some other player, and Bosh could ablely fill Amare role, so in effect the latter part of your quote isn't too far off, but I'm really sick of posters holding on to Amare's "only able to dunk" past. Watch a game, will ya! It would only take one to see that Howard will likely never become the all-around offensive force Amare is.

That's not taking anything away from Howard.

Personally, I'm both disappointed and relieved. I'm very glad he's using some sense in this. He doesn't need unnecessary wear and tear on those knees. However, I was looking forward to seeing the new Amare compared to the 2004 Olympic version.

balli
06-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Howard's a lot younger than Amare and if he ever does learn to pass out of doubles, post up or shoot he'll be more of a force than Amare is.

Bottom line- they are both PF's who can barely create for themselves. I don't think Amare is just a dunker, (his midrange has gotten better, but by no means is it reliable or instinctual) but his lack of a single go to post move is shameful and to describe him as an all around offensive force is a joke. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Amare is to Steve Nash what Kenyon Martin was to J-Kidd. Slightly better than Martin and he'll keep improving for himself, but still, his game is mostly dependant on his PG.

That said, Carlos Boozer you could say has a better all around offensive game and is better at creating for himself, but I'd damn sure rather have Amare there than him. Even with his limitations in creating for himself the dude is still a fuckin' beast and with D-Will and CP3 running things it isn't like Amare would have to iso anyways.

JMarkJohns
06-20-2008, 11:59 AM
I would disagree very strongly on Amare's jumper. It is very reliable. As reliable as any big man's jumper outside of Dirk.

I do agree with what you said about Howard, but he has a very long way to go before he's as good offensively as Amare was even in 2004-05. Even then Amare had a better jumper and more dribble-drive ability.

As far as Amare's ability to create for himself, overall I'd say he's capable, but not great at it. He did average 20 ppg as a second-year player without Nash. Without a real PG at all, in fact. His percentage was around 48%, so it isn't anywhere near what it is with Nash, but Amare is far more skilled than he was then as well.

I too like Boozer, but feel he's a bit lax at times as well.

JamStone
06-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Criticisms on Amare's offensive game and lack of a true post move are a bit extreme. Amare is not a great post player in terms of creating his own shot, but he's more capable than some criticize. And, regardless, for not having a go-to post move and still be able to average 24 points on 57% shooting over the last three full seasons is pretty incredible. Obviously, it helps having Steve Nash and a pick-and-roll offense, but you still can't fault his offensive numbers. If you look at Karl Malone's career, he wasn't really the greatest offensive post player either. Better than Amare, but Malone still got the majority of his points off of pick-and-rolls with Stockton and later on in his career on midrange jumpers.

The bottomline isn't about being able to create your own shot, but actually scoring. Amare scores and he scores at a highly efficient rate. You don't criticize Tim Duncan for not being a consistent three point shooter because he doesn't shoot three pointers. Well, Amare doesn't have a lot of post moves and he isn't often isolated in the low post to do so. He's a pick-and-roll power forward and a spot up midrange jump shooter. And, he does it well. Unless the NBA changes into a league where the only way a power forward or center can score is creating for themselves in the post, the criticism that Amare can't create his own shot in the post is weak.

balli
06-20-2008, 12:32 PM
I would disagree very strongly on Amare's jumper. It is very reliable. As reliable as any big man's jumper outside of Dirk.

I do agree with what you said about Howard, but he has a very long way to go before he's as good offensively as Amare was even in 2004-05. Even then Amare had a better jumper and more dribble-drive ability.

As far as Amare's ability to create for himself, overall I'd say he's capable, but not great at it. He did average 20 ppg as a second-year player without Nash. Without a real PG at all, in fact. His percentage was around 48%, so it isn't anywhere near what it is with Nash, but Amare is far more skilled than he was then as well.

I too like Boozer, but feel he's a bit lax at times as well.

I don't necessarily think Amare needs Nash per se, but just a pg in general to get him the ball. Besides that was like the one year where Marbury actually played good.

And I hate Boozer. He's a puss who refuses to try on defense and gets scared on offense whereby he trys a bunch of weak finesse moves that do nothing. Sure he can create for himself, but what he often creates is shit. I'd much rather have a more limited Amare dunking on people than an left hand adept spinderela like Boozer trying to spin reverse english layups into the hoop.

balli
06-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Criticisms on Amare's offensive game and lack of a true post move are a bit extreme. Amare is not a great post player in terms of creating his own shot, but he's more capable than some criticize. And, regardless, for not having a go-to post move and still be able to average 24 points on 57% shooting over the last three full seasons is pretty incredible. Obviously, it helps having Steve Nash and a pick-and-roll offense, but you still can't fault his offensive numbers. If you look at Karl Malone's career, he wasn't really the greatest offensive post player either. Better than Amare, but Malone still got the majority of his points off of pick-and-rolls with Stockton and later on in his career on midrange jumpers.

The bottomline isn't about being able to create your own shot, but actually scoring. Amare scores and he scores at a highly efficient rate. You don't criticize Tim Duncan for not being a consistent three point shooter because he doesn't shoot three pointers. Well, Amare doesn't have a lot of post moves and he isn't often isolated in the low post to do so. He's a pick-and-roll power forward and a spot up midrange jump shooter. And, he does it well. Unless the NBA changes into a league where the only way a power forward or center can score is creating for themselves in the post, the criticism that Amare can't create his own shot in the post is weak.

It's not weak, it's just a fact. Just describing the dude's game. Like I said, I'd MUCH RATHER have Amare than a guy like Boozer, even though Boozer is far more capable of getting his own shot off. Not criticizing Amare at all.

JamStone
06-20-2008, 12:45 PM
First of all, it's not a fact. Amare has scored in the post that was not from a pass before. Is he great in the low post? No. But, he is more capable than a lot of people give credit for. It's not a fact.

And, again, the criticism is weak because when someone makes the criticism, it's generally accompanied by another statement saying "it's shameful" or "it inexcusable" or "he isn't a very good offensive player" along with it. Even if true, it doesn't mattermuch at all when the guy is putting up 24 ppg on 57% shooting.

It's like criticizing Jason Kidd for not being great at running a half-court offense when you know a Jason Kidd team is going to get out in transition. It's like criticizing Tony Parker for not averaging more assists when his role on the Spurs is to get in the paint and score. Every player in the league, every single player at every position, has strengths and weaknesses. Not all power forwards are asked to be great low post offensive scorers. Not all point guards are asked to be 10 assist per game guys. Not all shooting guards are asked to be 45% shooters from the three point line.

Amare is on a team and plays with a point guard that actually maximizes his strengths on offense. It's like asking Shaq to shoot 10 15-foot jumpers a game. Or Dwyane Wade to only shoot three-pointers. Players use their strengths to maximize their abilities.

The criticism of Amare lacking a go-to post move is weak because on his team with his teammates and in the system they've been playing the last 3-4 years, it's not a necessity for him to have great low post moves when he scores the vast majority of his points off of pick-and-roll plays, out in transition, off of offensive rebounds, midrange jumpers, and the free throw line. It is a weak criticism.

balli
06-20-2008, 01:26 PM
I didn't say it was inexcusable.

I didn't say it he isn't a good offensive player.

Not even close

I did say it was shameful, because although it isn't shameful (poor word choice) it isn't all that good, but you're missing the point. I'm not criticizing him for that. My positon is the exact same as yours. He doesn't need to create for himself. Especially in that system.

You keep telling me it's a weak criticism, but I'm not criticizing him for it at all, so how can it be weak?

All I said is that he's not the greatest in the post- which is true. I've also said, the dudes a fucking beast and in effect I've compared him with Boozer to make the exact same point that you have; he's still good and arguably far more effective than the guy who has a post game. Quit trying to argue with me while accusing me of criticizing the guy when I'm doing anything but. I think Amare is fucking awesome and I really don't get where you got the idea that I don't think he's effective. I think he's more effective than plenty of good post players and I said as much in my OP. Please check yourself and the words I've written and lay off.

Sure he can create for himself, but what he often creates is shit. I'd much rather have a more limited Amare dunking on people.

That said, Carlos Boozer you could say has a better all around offensive game and is better at creating for himself, but I'd damn sure rather have Amare there than him. Even with his limitations in creating for himself the dude is still a fuckin' beast

JamStone
06-20-2008, 01:42 PM
You called Amare's lack of post moves "shameful." That's not just a description of his game. That's a criticism. And, the other quotes I used were examples of criticisms people use in general, not specifically your quotes.

balli
06-20-2008, 01:45 PM
And I also immediately said that I didn't think it mattered by immediately saying that I'd rather have Amare than a proven post player and I therefore clearly used it to descibe his personal game, not his efficacy to his team and I've since said that that one word out my now hundreds in this thread was a poor choice. You're fucking crazy yo.

I mean, I've clearly been pro-amare this whole time. Good hell. :rolleyes

JamStone
06-20-2008, 02:03 PM
I can say, "Kobe is the best player in the league right now. But, he's a selfish egomaniac who throws his teammates under the bus when the team doesn't succeed."

I can believe Kobe is the best player and still be criticizing him.

balli
06-20-2008, 02:17 PM
I can say, "Kobe is the best player in the league right now. But, he's a selfish egomaniac who throws his teammates under the bus when the team doesn't succeed."

I can believe Kobe is the best player and still be criticizing him.

And that would be a valid criticism then? Not a weak one, right?

T Park
06-20-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm with Ballijuana on this, I think the amare critiques can be that he falls in love with his jumper, and while its decent, its still not semi money like say a Duncan's is. He also is very guilty of down the stretch of games standing back and letting other people work as opposed to calling for the ball and going for the win.

JamStone
06-20-2008, 02:38 PM
And that would be a valid criticism then? Not a weak one, right?

Correct, that is a valid criticism of Kobe. Different criticism.

Your criticism of Amare is a weak one.

balli
06-20-2008, 02:39 PM
You're wrong. And you're being an asshole.

Don Quixote
06-20-2008, 02:41 PM
I don't think Stoudamire should play in the Olympics either. He doesn't even belong on the floor with those other guys. He sucks and sucks hard.

We picked him up with the hope that he might hit a few shots. But all he did was sit on the bench and get water for the guys who played. Mighty Mouse my butt!

oh ... what's that? huh? really? You mean AMARE?

Never mind.

Indazone
06-20-2008, 05:18 PM
He's a pussy. Biggest Fail in USA basketball.

SpursDynasty
06-20-2008, 06:58 PM
I think any basketball outside of the NBA is worthless....Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, take note, get some rest and get ready to chase another championship.

nashzilla
06-20-2008, 07:21 PM
He's a pussy. Biggest Fail in USA basketball.

biggest fail in USA basketball would be tracy mcgrady. the most overrated player in the history of world basketball. get out of the first round, then talk shit.

nashzilla
06-20-2008, 07:23 PM
This is almost laughable, unless the Amare you've been watching is from 2002-03 and 2003-04. The next time I see Howard take his man off the dribble from 20 feet out or pull up and hit an 18-foot jumper it will be the first time.

Your comparison of the two is an insult to both Howard's defense and rebounding and Amare's offense.

Amare is a significant loss. He's not a starter, so it isn't as significant as some other player, and Bosh could ablely fill Amare role, so in effect the latter part of your quote isn't too far off, but I'm really sick of posters holding on to Amare's "only able to dunk" past. Watch a game, will ya! It would only take one to see that Howard will likely never become the all-around offensive force Amare is.

That's not taking anything away from Howard.

Personally, I'm both disappointed and relieved. I'm very glad he's using some sense in this. He doesn't need unnecessary wear and tear on those knees. However, I was looking forward to seeing the new Amare compared to the 2004 Olympic version.

excellent take jmark

nashzilla
06-20-2008, 07:27 PM
I don't think Stoudamire should play in the Olympics either. He doesn't even belong on the floor with those other guys. He sucks and sucks hard.

We picked him up with the hope that he might hit a few shots. But all he did was sit on the bench and get water for the guys who played. Mighty Mouse my butt!

oh ... what's that? huh? really? You mean AMARE?

Never mind.

amare stoudemire would dunk on your face so hard you would die. then he would take your mother mrs. quixote out to a nice seafood dinner and never call the stupid bitch again.

Gino
06-20-2008, 07:57 PM
I'm with Ballijuana on this, I think the amare critiques can be that he falls in love with his jumper, and while its decent, its still not semi money like say a Duncan's is. He also is very guilty of down the stretch of games standing back and letting other people work as opposed to calling for the ball and going for the win.

Ehh....Amare's jump shot is much more "money" than Duncan's. Teams basically dare Duncan to shoot outside ten feet these days.

balli
06-20-2008, 08:11 PM
amare stoudemire would dunk on your face so hard you would die. then he would take your mother mrs. quixote out to a nice seafood dinner and never call the stupid bitch again.
:rolleyes

Indazone
06-21-2008, 10:50 AM
He's still a pussy. If he didnt want to play then don't volunteer to be on Team USA. Give your spot up to someone who wants it. At least T-Mac had the decency to decline at the beginning. Stoudamire is the biggest wiener on the planet. Lebron playing check. D. Howard playing check. D-Wade injured and recovered playing check. Stoudamire...sitting home fully recovered with a lame ass story about how he needs his rest. Just like the rest of the Suns. Biggest pussies in the NBA.

pauls931
06-21-2008, 12:03 PM
He's still a pussy. If he didnt want to play then don't volunteer to be on Team USA. Give your spot up to someone who wants it. At least T-Mac had the decency to decline at the beginning. Stoudamire is the biggest wiener on the planet. Lebron playing check. D. Howard playing check. D-Wade injured and recovered playing check. Stoudamire...sitting home fully recovered with a lame ass story about how he needs his rest. Just like the rest of the Suns. Biggest pussies in the NBA.

Getting knocked out in the first round is a bitch isn't it....

Indazone
06-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Getting knocked out in the first round is a bitch isn't it....

You should know since the Spurs knocked your teams weak game out in the first round.

pauls931
06-21-2008, 01:52 PM
You should know since the Spurs knocked your teams weak game out in the first round.

I know... It's easier when we get you guys in the first round.

Obstructed_View
06-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Rumors abound that he's off the team because he wasn't allowed to put his own name on the front of his jersey. He kept asking what the fuck OOSA was.

angelbelow
06-22-2008, 01:26 AM
id hate to lose another low post scorer. im not sure if chanlder, bosh, dwight can consistently score in the low post. could just be overestimating the competition..

nashzilla
06-23-2008, 01:56 AM
Rumors abound that he's off the team because he wasn't allowed to put his own name on the front of his jersey. He kept asking what the fuck OOSA was.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/meeks4president/funny.jpg