PDA

View Full Version : Portland may try to acquire another 1st

Marcus Bryant
06-19-2008, 06:09 PM
The Blazers have the 13th, 33nd, 36th and 55th picks in the draft. Obviously, they don't want four rookies joining the two they already have coming in -- Greg Oden and Rudy Fernandez.

GM Kevin Pritchard, as always, is being creative trying to package those picks with young assets such as Jarrett Jack and Travis Outlaw and the expiring contract of Raef LaFrentz to move up or to get a veteran. Portland also is considering packaging those second-round picks to get another first-round pick.

link (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=Drafttradetalk-080618&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fdraft2008%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumni st%3dford_chad%26page%3dDrafttradetalk-080618)

Depending on who is available or not at #26, getting two high 2nd rounders instead may not be a bad idea. Especially if the Spurs like an international talent likely to go before #45.

Spur-Addict
06-19-2008, 06:12 PM
link (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=Drafttradetalk-080618&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fdraft2008%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumni st%3dford_chad%26page%3dDrafttradetalk-080618)

Depending on who is available or not at #26, getting two high 2nd rounders instead may not be a bad idea. Especially if the Spurs like an international talent likely to go before #45.

Nothing wrong with extra picks in a given circumstance, but damn, outlaw would be nice.

jcrod
06-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Only if they find a way to get another first, first. Man i hope they don't go international.

timvp
06-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Yeah 33 and 36 for 26 could make sense for both teams. In that scenario, I'd hope the Spurs take all legit prospects at 33, 36, 45 and 57 and then let them fight it out in summer league and training camp to see who makes the team. With four second rounders, one would hope even RC would be able to stumble onto a player that could help.

Marcus Bryant
06-19-2008, 06:16 PM

You do that if you believe there's good value to be had between 31 and 50, plus you really like an international talent and would prefer that they not be subject to the 1st round rookie scale.

This would give the Spurs a shot at picking up a number of young prospects and allow them to draft and stash one.

You could pick up some combination of George Hill, Sonny Weems, Jamont Gordon, Gary Forbes, DJ White, and Richard Hendrix; then perhaps take a flyer on a Dragic or Pekovic.

And there's always the possibility that someone falls out of the 1st round.

Marcus Bryant
06-19-2008, 06:23 PM
How about finding a way to deal with Seattle for #24 and then dealing Portland the #26 for 33 and 36?

24 - Chalmers or CDR or Walker
33 - Pekovic or Hickson
36 - George Hill or Weems or Hendrix
45 - White or Hill or Weems or Hendrix or Int'l
57 - Int'l

Five picks might be a bit much, but then you could possibly capitalize on some international players slipping today due to the strong Euro (and at least not being hamstrung by the rookie scale when you want to bring them over) while still being able to bring in some quality talent ready to play today. You'd only have one guaranteed contract out of those five.

Harry Callahan
06-19-2008, 06:24 PM

You do that if you believe there's good value to be had between 31 and 50, plus you really like an international talent and would prefer that they not be subject to the 1st round rookie scale.

This would give the Spurs a shot at picking up a number of young prospects and allow them to draft and stash one.

You could pick up some combination of George Hill, Sonny Weems, Jamont Gordon, Gary Forbes, DJ White, and Richard Hendrix; then perhaps take a flyer on a Dragic or Pekovic.

And there's always the possibility that someone falls out of the 1st round.

Saturation drafting might work if they don't have their heart set on someone at 26. Also, they could draft one foreign youngster out of the 4 to keep that option around.

They could also trade one 2 for a two next year, giving them three #2s in 09, which could be enough ammo to get back into the 1st round next year if they wanted to (to make up for the 09 #1 already traded)

ss1986v2
06-19-2008, 06:29 PM
i would probably do that depending on who is still on the board by the time #26 actually roles around. id rather try and pry jack away from them though...

jack sommerset
06-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Thats alot of picks. They need to trade them for a vet.

Marcus Bryant
06-19-2008, 06:44 PM
A lot of picks, perhaps, but the Spurs only have one next year and that is likely to be a low 2nd rounder.

Plus, high second round picks are appealing these days. No guaranteed contract and no rookie scale restrictions on salary.

Marcus Bryant
06-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Wait, I guess they have another low 2nd rounder next year from the Scola trade. In any event, it's not a bad thing at this point to have multiple shots at drafting talent.

Biggems
06-19-2008, 06:55 PM
if they want back into the first, give us all of their 2nds......

also, if Washington is really trying to dump their 1st....perhaps we can help them.....we can get 18 from them for simply taking some salary off their hands and maybe a 2nd or two...(45 and 57)

so we could be left with

That would be very nice to have.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-19-2008, 06:58 PM
How about finding a way to deal with Seattle for #24 and then dealing Portland the #26 for 33 and 36?

24 - Chalmers or CDR or Walker
33 - Pekovic or Hickson
36 - George Hill or Weems or Hendrix
45 - White or Hill or Weems or Hendrix or Int'l
57 - Int'l

Five picks might be a bit much, but then you could possibly capitalize on some international players slipping today due to the strong Euro (and at least not being hamstrung by the rookie scale when you want to bring them over) while still being able to bring in some quality talent ready to play today. You'd only have one guaranteed contract out of those five.

:tu

Biggems
06-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Wait, I guess they have another low 2nd rounder next year from the Scola trade. In any event, it's not a bad thing at this point to have multiple shots at drafting talent.

yeah the other 2nd round pick they have to give to Charlotte.....cause they own NO and HOU 2nd round picks next year, as well as theirs. Whichever pick is less favorable of NO or SA will go to Charlotte....leaving us with two 2nd round picks.

Marcus Bryant
06-19-2008, 07:18 PM
yeah the other 2nd round pick they have to give to Charlotte.....cause they own NO and HOU 2nd round picks next year, as well as theirs. Whichever pick is less favorable of NO or SA will go to Charlotte....leaving us with two 2nd round picks.

Based on this year's final standings those picks would be 55, 56, & 57.

AFBlue
06-19-2008, 07:24 PM
If the Spurs can't successfully trade up and all prospects they see as worth the #26 pick are gone....this is a VERY plausible scenario.

Guys that could be available at #33 and/or #36...

Walker, White, Jefferson, Dragic, Jawai, Hendrix, Gordon, Hardin, Turkish Bigs.

Of those I would like to get Walker and White.

A.H 21-50
06-19-2008, 07:31 PM
If the Spurs can't successfully trade up and all prospects they see as worth the #26 pick are gone....this is a VERY plausible scenario.

agree

but the value of our first pick imo is better than two second rounds

so if we do a trade like that , i expect the spurs to add a player who can contribute as jarret jack in portland .....

Steve-O-Matic
06-19-2008, 07:32 PM
The Spurs don't have a first round pick in 2009, so they can't trade this year's #1 before the draft unless they acquire another #1 in either this year's or next year's draft first (Ted Stepien rule). Failing that, the only workaround would be to agree to a trade in advance and then use the pick to make the selection on behalf of the other team, then announce the trade afterwards.

ss1986v2
06-19-2008, 07:36 PM
The Spurs don't have a first round pick in 2009, so they can't trade this year's #1 before the draft unless they acquire another #1 in either this year's or next year's draft first (Ted Stepien rule). Failing that, the only workaround would be to agree to a trade in advance and then use the pick to make the selection on behalf of the other team, then announce the trade afterwards.
that would be how it would work. thats how most draft day trades work. i cant think of a single draft-centric trade that went down before the picks were made (agreed apron, but not done).

AFBlue
06-19-2008, 08:18 PM
agree

but the value of our first pick imo is better than two second rounds

so if we do a trade like that , i expect the spurs to add a player who can contribute as jarret jack in portland .....

They don't really have a draft pick value chart like in the NFL draft, so you never know what a late first round pick would bring in return. Something tells me though, that the Blazers wouldn't essentially give up a late first round talent (Jack) and two early seconds for this year's late first.

Stranger things have happened though.

AFBlue
06-19-2008, 08:19 PM

Second choices would be Jefferson and Jawai.

Marcus Bryant
06-19-2008, 08:28 PM
that would be how it would work. thats how most draft day trades work. i cant think of a single draft-centric trade that went down before the picks were made (agreed apron, but not done).

No doubt.

A.H 21-50
06-19-2008, 08:38 PM
They don't really have a draft pick value chart like in the NFL draft, so you never know what a late first round pick would bring in return. Something tells me though, that the Blazers wouldn't essentially give up a late first round talent (Jack) and two early seconds for this year's late first.

Stranger things have happened though.

jack is just an example
i think the players who will be available with #26 are better than #33 and #36 combined but i could be wrong

maybe if we want to trade our first for early second round , minessota with #31 and #34 could be interesting

cdcast
06-19-2008, 11:15 PM
If the Spurs can get Seattle's 24th pick without giving up their 26th, how bout trading both picks to Blazers for Jack and their two second rounders?

Holt's Cat
06-20-2008, 12:01 AM
If the Spurs can get Seattle's 24th pick without giving up their 26th, how bout trading both picks to Blazers for Jack and their two second rounders?

How far could the Spurs move up in the draft if they had two low 1st round picks to deal?

oligarchy
06-20-2008, 12:05 AM
I doubt 24 and 26 would move them anywhere. Though, it might be possible to use the 24 as a better pick to take portlands 2 2nd rounders. I'm not sure if Portland would take 26 for the 2 second round picks. (even with cash).

rascal
06-20-2008, 11:29 AM
The spurs need to add a player from this draft that will find a way into the rotation for next year.

Stashing foreign players or getting a couple 2nd rounders who are not likely going to make the rotation will not be good.

Kindergarten Cop
06-20-2008, 11:43 AM
I will be very disappointed if the Spurs end up trading out of the 1st Round to get extra 2nd Round picks. We need impact players NOW, not 2 years down the road. If they don't feel that they can get a contributing player at 26, then they need to do what is necessary to attempt to move up (although I don't want to see them trade Mahinmi away to do so).

TheProfessor
06-20-2008, 11:50 AM
I will be very disappointed if the Spurs end up trading out of the 1st Round to get extra 2nd Round picks. We need impact players NOW, not 2 years down the road. If they don't feel that they can get a contributing player at 26, then they need to do what is necessary to attempt to move up (although I don't want to see them trade Mahinmi away to do so).
Then what exactly should the Spurs do to move up? They have no assets other than Mahinmi that would help in facilitating that. If they're not certain they can get the player they want at 26, I'd rather they take four shots at domestic players in the second, bring them all to camp, and see who sticks. There will be players available in the early second round who can compete for roster spots. All the better if they can squeeze a player out of Portland or Minnesota in a deal that could be useful.

oligarchy
06-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Then what exactly should the Spurs do to move up? They have no assets other than Mahinmi that would help in facilitating that. If they're not certain they can get the player they want at 26, I'd rather they take four shots at domestic players in the second, bring them all to camp, and see who sticks. There will be players available in the early second round who can compete for roster spots. All the better if they can squeeze a player out of Portland or Minnesota in a deal that could be useful.

I think they have as likely of a chance in picking up talent with 4 2nd round picks as they would with a late first and 2 2nd round picks. Although, I don't see them getting the 2 portland picks with the #26 alone.

Kindergarten Cop
06-20-2008, 12:00 PM

I would rather them stick at 26 if they cannot trade up, but I have heard some creative suggetions throughout this forum that are not too far fetched (trade exceptions, cash, sign-and-trades, etc). I realize that we won't be able to move up too far with those limitations, but I just want to see a pick that contributes (not just one that will "compete for a roster spot").

Now if we add a contributing player from one of those teams in a trade back to the 2nd Round, I would'nt be as opposed.

TheProfessor
06-20-2008, 12:17 PM
I would rather them stick at 26 if they cannot trade up, but I have heard some creative suggetions throughout this forum that are not too far fetched (trade exceptions, cash, sign-and-trades, etc). I realize that we won't be able to move up too far with those limitations, but I just want to see a pick that contributes (not just one that will "compete for a roster spot").

Now if we add a contributing player from one of those teams in a trade back to the 2nd Round, I would'nt be as opposed.
That's when the trade exception can hopefully come into play, or the Spurs can unload Bonner. Unfortunately, every year we hear the same creative solutions about the Spurs moving up, and every year nothing happens. I'm sure they will try everything they can if a player they like drops to the late teens/early 20's, but it's difficult to pull off (see: Daequan Cook).

rascal
06-20-2008, 01:40 PM
I think they have as likely of a chance in picking up talent with 4 2nd round picks as they would with a late first and 2 2nd round picks. Although, I don't see them getting the 2 portland picks with the #26 alone.

I disagree, the 26'th spot should produce a better player than the 2nd round picks. Someone is sure to fall into the late 1'st round.