PDA

View Full Version : Wade And His Knee Get Green Light For Beijing

duncan228
06-19-2008, 06:19 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basketball/heat/sfl-flspheat19sbjun19,0,7520950.story

Wade and his knee get green light for Beijing
By Ira Winderman

Dwyane Wade has passed his first test. Now, the world awaits.

His surgically repaired left knee deemed up to rigorous competition, the Heat guard has been informed he will receive one of 12 U.S. Olympic basketball berths when the team for the Beijing Games formally is announced Monday.

Two sources close to the process confirmed the selection Wednesday.

Jerry Colangelo, the former Phoenix Suns executive who heads the Olympic basketball committee, met last week with Wade in Chicago and came away convinced that the Heat guard is up to the challenge of the grueling Games commitment.

After Wade missed the final month of the season following treatment for tendinitis in his left knee, there were concerns about his ability to compete for an Olympic roster spot.

However, Colangelo made it clear that Wade has been "building equity" with USA Basketball with his appearances with the 2004 Olympic team in Athens and the 2006 U.S. entry at the World Championships in Japan.

Wade then missed last summer's Olympic qualifying tournament after undergoing knee and shoulder surgeries in May 2007.

The U.S. Olympic committee originally had planned to hold a final tryout session of 15 or 16 candidates for the 12 roster spots during its late-June Olympic camp in Las Vegas. The plan was changed in recent weeks to make the final cutdown well in advance of the July 1 roster deadline required by the Olympics.

In recent days, Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony and Mavericks guard Jason Kidd have confirmed invitations, while Pistons guard Chauncey Billups withdrew from consideration, perhaps aware he had not survived the final cut.

Heat President Pat Riley has been supportive of Wade's Olympic bid, even though it will have his team leader returning from China barely a month before the Heat's late-September start to training camp. The Heat then will play exhibition games in France and London.

After returning from Athens and Japan with bronze medals, Wade had put a premium on Beijing.

He made it clear in a recent interview that he did not view an Olympic appearance as detrimental to the Heat's 2008-09 season.

"I don't really look at it that way," he said. "It isn't like I'm going to play 40 minutes a game. I played two times already [in international competition]. After my first year, I came back and had my best year, when I averaged 24 a game. And the second year I came back and was averaging 28.

"To me, it's an advantage, because you're playing competitive basketball, the best basketball around."

Wade acknowledged that time in China certainly wouldn't hurt his marketing appeal.

"For Beijing, we've been waiting a long time, to market yourself the way you want to be marketed," he said.

Wade, who is expected to play as a reserve in the Olympics behind Cavaliers forward LeBron James and Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, appreciates the whirlwind ahead.

After a brief Olympic training camp June 28-July 30 in Las Vegas, Wade will return to Las Vegas for a training camp that runs July 21-July 26. From there, the U.S. team will leave for training in Macao from July 28-Aug. 1, followed by training in Shanghai from Aug. 1-5, with exhibition games sprinkled in amid those workouts.

The Olympic basketball tournament runs Aug. 10-24.

greensborohill
06-19-2008, 06:58 PM
Paper Champion. . . not like the mighty Spurs!

pawe
06-20-2008, 01:17 AM
Gold medals for team USA..book it!

Red Hawk #21
06-20-2008, 06:50 PM
I bet you Wade will struggle because their is no star treatment in international basketball, my boy Joe Johnson got snubbed because of this fucker

1Parker1
06-20-2008, 09:18 PM
I thought he had a shoulder problem? :wtf

Udokafan05
06-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Wow, Wade is suddenly healthy enough to play again. Just proves heat were tanking games to get high pick.

KidCongo
06-21-2008, 03:06 AM
I bet you Wade will struggle because their is no star treatment in international basketball, my boy Joe Johnson got snubbed because of this fucker

I agree. JJ can shoot much better from outside and he is taller.

IronMexican
06-21-2008, 05:40 AM
Wow, Wade is suddenly healthy enough to play again. Just proves heat were tanking games to get high pick.

and thank god they didn't get the #1 seed.:lol

pauls931
06-21-2008, 12:07 PM

Who's the scrub in your sig?

Indazone
06-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Wade is a Warrior! Not like that weenie Amare Stoudamire

Red Hawk #21
06-22-2008, 02:52 PM
Who's the scrub in your sig?

This "Scrub" in my sig can destroy your two time MVP if they played one on one. :ihit

jack sommerset
06-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Wade is soooooooooooooooo borderline Olympian.

Oink Oink
06-22-2008, 06:38 PM
good news

Flo-Rida
06-23-2008, 12:10 AM
I agree. JJ can shoot much better from outside and he is taller.
Jason Kapono is taller than dwyane and can shoot the three better so does that make him better???

Flo-Rida
06-23-2008, 12:12 AM

You gonna cry about it bitch. :lol

Red Hawk #21
06-23-2008, 10:49 AM
You gonna cry about it bitch. :lol

LOL @ Miami Heat fan, you guys tanked your asses off and still didn't get the #1 pick, your franchise player is a pussy who always acts like he is injured so people can make an excuse for why he isnt playing well. Your team sucks, they got blown out in almost every game last season. Your franchise player's whole game is to drive to the rim recklessly and pray to god that the refs call a phantom foul in his favor. Joe Johnson is better than D-fake, his passing, his shooting, his b-ball iq, his decision making is all better than D-fake's. And D-fake goes out with star jones anyway so how do you expect me to have any respect for him? Your team sucks deal with it.

Flo-Rida
06-23-2008, 06:09 PM
LOL @ Miami Heat fan, you guys tanked your asses off and still didn't get the #1 pick, your franchise player is a pussy who always acts like he is injured so people can make an excuse for why he isnt playing well. Your team sucks, they got blown out in almost every game last season. Your franchise player's whole game is to drive to the rim recklessly and pray to god that the refs call a phantom foul in his favor. Joe Johnson is better than D-fake, his passing, his shooting, his b-ball iq, his decision making is all better than D-fake's. And D-fake goes out with star jones anyway so how do you expect me to have any respect for him? Your team sucks deal with it.

So what your still a bitch..

Red Hawk #21
06-23-2008, 06:12 PM
So what your still a bitch..

Just because I think your team is a piece of shit that makes me a bitch? I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Next time I'll say Wade's jumper is the best in the league and that Alexander Johnson is one of the best players I've ever seen hopefully that'll make you feel better. :wakeup

Flo-Rida
06-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Just because I think your team is a piece of shit that makes me a bitch? I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Next time I'll say Wade's jumper is the best in the league and that Alexander Johnson is one of the best players I've ever seen hopefully that'll make you feel better. :wakeup

Nigga stop responding i aint got time for your stupid ass comments. Also as for that statement saying JJ is a better all around player than dwyane, ask any smart person who knows about basketball 99 out of 100 times they would rather have Dwyane Than JJ. No disrespect to JJ he is one of my fav players but to say he is better than Dwyane is just wrong.

Red Hawk #21
06-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Nigga stop responding i aint got time for your stupid ass comments. Also as for that statement saying JJ is a better all around player than dwyane, ask any smart person who knows about basketball 99 out of 100 times they would rather have Dwyane Than JJ. No disrespect to JJ he is one of my fav players but to say he is better than Dwyane is just wrong.

First off don't call me a N-word, people in the past have suffered because of that word. I already told you that I was sorry if I hurt your feelings, what more do you want?? Fine I'll confess the truth : Wade is greater than Michael Jordan, Mark Blount has been dominating the Nba for years, Udonis Haslem is a Hall of famer, and Jason Williams has the best shot selection in the Nba.

There are you happy now? I have admitted the truth about your team.
PS Star Jones is one of the prettiest women in the World. :wakeup