PDA

View Full Version : Top 25 Metal Bands

E20
06-19-2008, 08:15 PM
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/listoftheday/69730/the-25-best-heavy-metal-bands

Hmmmm.................I think Iron Maiden should have gotten a better rank. Hallowed be Thy Name, Run to the Hills, Where Eagles Dare, Flight of Icarus and the intro to Iron Maiden FTW. Also , can Aerosmith be really classified as Metal? Judas Priest was good IMO.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
The 25 Best Heavy Metal Bands
Posted Tue Jun 17 5:35pm PDT by Rob O'Connor in List Of The Day
Judas Priest are clearly one of heavy metal's most notable bands if only because in true metal spirit they never die. But the most enjoyable aspect of heavy metal isn't the power or the loudness, it's the endless, fruitless discussion over what actually constitutes "heavy metal."

First, there was the dubious distinction between "hard rock" and "heavy metal," then, of course, "punk" vs. "metal," then we had "crossover" bands who polluted the waters still. Now, with grindcore, screamo and other sub-varieties that make you wonder where are the "Log Cabin Metallists," it's to the point where you could argue that Cher and Ween should qualify somehow.

Well, I didn't have quite as cynical a take. But I did notice that I was favoring the old vs. the new. Maybe because everything is fresher the first time around. And while every single bio I receive on a new metal band tells me how UNLIKE ALL THE OTHER BANDS this one is, somehow, it isn't true. I'm not accusing anyone of lying, I just think that most bands and their supporters have what could be called "Parental Vision." That's where the only person who really believes you're beautiful is your mom or dad. These people want to believe their band doesn't sound like all the others and to highly trained ears--senior metallists, that is--the distinctions are obvious and concrete. To normal folks who are just looking to turn the radio up when they hear something they like, well, let's just say it's become pretty obvious why most metal has become part of a hardcore subgenre and not the mainstream phenomenon it once was.

Now for 25 performing outfits who have made Heavy Metal what it is.

25) Meshuggah: Swedish metal bands prefer to make things difficult for themselves. First off, they're in Sweden, not exactly a prime lift-off point for World Domination, unless you're IKEA. Top that with the fact that these guys refuse to play in standard time signatures, standard key signatures or do anything that could be considered standard. They sometimes don't even make the standard "evil" faces. They try. But it always looks like they're about to laugh. The music really is like shoving your head into an industrial fan. Impressive.

24) Mercyful Fate: A Danish metal band fronted by a guy in slightly wrong Gene Simmons make-up, a screech that sends chills up your spine and a goofy fun-lovin' name like King Diamond. Yet, for all that, the guitar playing, the relentless rhythms and the obsession with Satanic gobblygook make them sureshots in my book. Slightly more entertaining than Venom, who were number 26 and therefore left off this list.

23) Alice In Chains: Some people might choose Soundgarden and I might too, on a different day. But Alice In Chains were heavier and weirder, bluesier and more decadent. They pre-dated grunge and uncomfortably jammed themselves onto the Seattle tugboat as it sailed into the Pearl Jam nation. To anyone who says "Hey, they're not metal," I remind you that heavy metal began with a very strong blues influence and Alice In Chains were far bluesier than many bands who have since come to define metal.

22) Uriah Heep: The roots of Spinal Tap? Albums such as Very ‘Eavy...Very ‘umble, Look at Yourself, The Magician's Birthday and High And Mighty sure seem to have conceptually influenced a strain of "mock metal," yet Uriah Heep with the amazing singing of David Byron, one of the originators of the heavy metal vibrato-laden moan, and the brooding organ of Ken Hensley jammed together as many styles as they could sneak past customs. Sometimes it was peanut butter and jelly, sometimes Rum & Coke and sometimes bananas and bar-b-que sauce. At least they tried.

21) Pantera: Phil Anselmo is one scary dude. And I wouldn't want to meet any of these guys in a dark alley. But on a stage, gainfully employed, Pantera were in their element. While their hard and heavy ways made them heroes to their devoted following, one misguided member of that devoted following took things to the point of indescribable horror when he shot and killed guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell (among others) while Darrell was playing in his post-Pantera group Damageplan. Being in a band has its job hazards; this should NOT be one of them.

20) Thin Lizzy: You'll see that I'm partial to bands who can write songs. Play as many notes as you like. Scream your lungs out. Tell me the world isn't fair. Hail Satan, if you must. Tell me more about how you're going to "rock me." Or tell me all about the people in a faraway galaxy who will one day communicate through the electric guitar. But I'll still take someone who can write: "Jailbreak," "Cold Sweat," "Whiskey In The Jar" and "The Boys Are Back In Town."

19) Kyuss: Who to blame for Stoner Rock? Why not these California desert dudes? These days people know about Queens of the Stone Age, who excel at shifting their line-up on a monthly basis, but once upon a time in the early 90s, Josh Homme and his then buddies stayed together on a fairly consistent basis (well, bass players come and go... and the drummer got switched up in the end, but for these guys that is consistency) and cranked out albums and looked to be going somewhere. Then, of course, before they could really be considered successful, they broke up. Which is what stoners do.

18) Guns N' Roses: With sides of punk and glam, Guns N' Roses coasted into the heavy metal mainstream with catchy tunes and a harder edge than their nerf-metal counterparts. There seem to be two kinds of heavy metal groups: ones that can't stay together and ones that never quit. Funny how everyone but Axl seems to be able to play nice with each other. They say money changes everything, but apparently not everything.

17) Kiss: They may never get the respect they crave. But they've got the sales they always wanted. If any band can be said to be a retail industry, it's Kiss. While so many bemoan the fate of the music business since music is so often distributed free these days, Kiss were already making merchandise a key monetary hub in their organization while others were busy building up their reputations with critics. Now grab your Kiss lunchbox and set it down on your Ace Frehley dinette set with those Peter Criss utensils to nicely cut up that Gene Simmons Bologna and Paul Stanley Liverwurst. I don't even own this paragraph. Gene Simmons does.

16) Dio: Ronnie James Dio is what we call a lifer. A Heavy Metal Zelig, always somewhere in the mix, whether it's with Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Elf or his own self-titled Dio. One of the originators of that vibrato-heavy metallic moan, Dio not only qualifies for a lifetime achievement award for his contributions to furthering the cause of Metal throughout the world but for Medicare in this country. And they credit him with that funny hand gesture!

15) Robin Trower: Ah, who? You know the guy from Procol Harum? Ok, that doesn't help. Well, ask a heavy metal guitarist sometime who's among their favorite players and nearly every time you'll hear people bring up the name Robin Trower, whose solo albums from the early ‘70s are pretty damn staggering in their sludgy-blues heaviness. This is back when the music didn't mind bringing you down. Which just goes to show what a good Quaalude can do. Start with Bridge Of Sighs.

14) Rush: Rush took a severe beating at the hands of critics for being a tad humorless about their high concepts. But they never whimpered and headed home. Nope. They had too many kids waiting for them in the stadiums who liked their high seriousness and looked forward to living in a future they would never actually live to see. 2112 is still a long ways away...They did it with guitars and they did it with synthesizers and they did it with a drummer who owned way too many drums. But to be fair, he uses all those drums. They're not just for show, like with some people.

13) Spinal Tap: Everyone says they weren't real. Yet I will put them on every Heavy Metal list possible, since their material--you know, the songs--are every bit as good as the "real" thing. And even if they never really did record an album called Intravenus DeMilo, they should've. And if the budget had been there, they just might've. And who's to say Shark Sandwich isn't just the victim of a clever two word put-down review? Maybe someone should go back and re-evaluate this band's imaginary oeuvre.

12) Deep Purple: While Sabbath and Zeppelin have gone on to be immortalized, Deep Purple have fallen dangerously behind. Ritchie Blackmore deserves better than to be lumped in with the "Where Were They Then?" pile. "Smoke On The Water" may be obvious, but "Space Truckin'" and the rest of Machine Head should be textbook cases for all aspiring young hard rockers. And they were purple when only hippies were ruining the color and not dinosaurs and Prince.

11) Slayer: Slayer redefined "heavy" back in the 1980s by speeding things up to the point of hardcore punk but with intricate riffs and shout-outs to Satan that made them obvious followers of the Metal church. With such a volatile sound and temperament, who would've thought they'd still be hanging together this many years later?

10) Iron Maiden: Just caught a live concert of theirs from 1985 on--where else?--a sports network. Great, since the music networks can't be bothered. And boy did these guys look kind of funny with all that billowing smoke and weird prancing around--and those spandex tights. In some respects, almost as good as Spinal Tap, and in some ways better since they were serious. "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner" is ponderous, but the hoof-beating gallop of "The Trooper" and just about anything from The Number Of The Beast makes up for their inherent corniness.

9) Motorhead: By never swerving from their ideals, Motorhead managed to win the hearts and souls of metal loyalists everywhere while simultaneously gathering punks and critics (same thing?) for their cause. Playing louder than others proved to be a key strategic move. Writing "Ace Of Spades" proved to be the other.

8) Aerosmith: There are those who will swear they aren't heavy metal. Yeah, I know. They were once considered a Rolling Stones ripoff because Steven Tyler had big lips like Jagger and Joe Perry was the sullen shadow playing the role of Keith Richards. But this bluesy, R&B-based hard rock band wrote stuff like "Toys In The Attic," "Back In The Saddle" and "Draw The Line" before crashing, burning and reforming in the ‘80s to further a more commercialized rock sound that sure sounded like a lot of heavy metal at the time.

7) Judas Priest: Their songs were always pretty catchy for a metal band, but I always preferred singer Rob Halford's between song banter. Very brief and always spoken in the same punctuated strain that he uses for the climax of their best tunes. In other words, he never lets up the intensity or drops the mask. He is the dominator on that stage and with two guys--K.K. Downing and Glenn Tipton--on guitars who virtually defined the overused trope "twin-guitar attack"--how much more definitive do you need?

6) Metallica: Whether their new album this Fall brings them back up a few pegs remains to be seen, but before they started a virtual war with their fans over $$ (weird, coming from a band who'd already raked in more than most bands would see in a lifetime) and put out St. Anger, the album that made people think that maybe Load was worse than they originally rationalized, Metallica were once the lords of a new generation. Master Of Puppets remains one of the sacred treaties and the self-titled Black Album is that one metal album that non-metal people own and pull out to prove they "like" heavy metal.

5) Jimi Hendrix Experience: Hendrix was far more than some heavy metal guitarist. Putting his music in any box is useless because it always sneaks out. But from the opening notes of "Purple Haze," it's obvious that Jimi was interested in being louder than the other boys. While it's an obvious shame that he didn't live through the ensuing decades, it's a blessing that he came of age at a time when musicians relied on band chemistry and not Pro-Tools to make their magic. Because as good as Hendrix was, he also knew how to pick the right supporting cast.

4) Van Halen: Some metallists say these guys aren't metal because they like girls and to party and they cover the Kinks, Roy Orbison and Motown. But have you heard Eddie's tone? He re-taught the guitar for an entire decade and while they lose points for employing Sammy Hagar (whose band Montrose, you'll note, is absent from this list), they did once bring us that ultimate, premium, all natural ham of hams, the great David Lee Roth.

3) AC/DC: Chords on top of chords, hooks on top of hooks and two singers--Bon Scott and Brian Johnson--who combined for a serious number of knockout punches. AC/DC knew how to flirt with radio without losing the crunch. And how Angus manages to bang his head and hop around the stage to this day remains one of metal's unsolved mysteries.

2) Led Zeppelin: Zep never stayed in one place too long and while Jimmy Page had an arsenal of riffs for aspiring young guitarists to emulate, the band coasted off into acoustic Hobbit tributes and art-rock when they got bored. But their complete demolition of the blues was damn impressive, whether it was Bonzo's beating the drums into submission or Bob Plant screeching for another inch of his love.

1) Black Sabbath: The lords of darkness who were always trying to find the sunshine but couldn't find the energy to lift the blinds. By keeping it simple and focusing on the most elemental elements, Black Sabbath mastered the art of the powerchord and the downward spiral. Killing themselves to live, never saying die and fighting the war pigs! What a legacy!

--------------------------

They also have top 25 worse hair-metal bands:
http://new.us.music.yahoo.com/blogs/listoftheday/32270/the-25-worst-hair-metal-bands

(This was a blog post, not AP)

mardigan
06-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Pretty crap list

NASpurs
06-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Guns N Roses are a metal band? That's news to me.

BRHornet45
06-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Guns N Roses are a metal band? That's news to me.

son Yahoo thinks Creed is a metal band too.

ZStomp
06-19-2008, 08:39 PM
24) Mercyful Fate: A Danish metal band fronted by a guy in slightly wrong Gene Simmons make-up, a screech that sends chills up your spine and a goofy fun-lovin' name like King Diamond. Yet, for all that, the guitar playing, the relentless rhythms and the obsession with Satanic gobblygook make them sureshots in my book. Slightly more entertaining than Venom, who were number 26 and therefore left off this list.

23) Alice In Chains: Some people might choose Soundgarden and I might too, on a different day. But Alice In Chains were heavier and weirder, bluesier and more decadent. They pre-dated grunge and uncomfortably jammed themselves onto the Seattle tugboat as it sailed into the Pearl Jam nation. To anyone who says "Hey, they're not metal," I remind you that heavy metal began with a very strong blues influence and Alice In Chains were far bluesier than many bands who have since come to define metal.

21) Pantera: Phil Anselmo is one scary dude. And I wouldn't want to meet any of these guys in a dark alley. But on a stage, gainfully employed, Pantera were in their element. While their hard and heavy ways made them heroes to their devoted following, one misguided member of that devoted following took things to the point of indescribable horror when he shot and killed guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell (among others) while Darrell was playing in his post-Pantera group Damageplan. Being in a band has its job hazards; this should NOT be one of them.

6) Metallica: Whether their new album this Fall brings them back up a few pegs remains to be seen, but before they started a virtual war with their fans over $$ (weird, coming from a band who'd already raked in more than most bands would see in a lifetime) and put out St. Anger, the album that made people think that maybe Load was worse than they originally rationalized, Metallica were once the lords of a new generation. Master Of Puppets remains one of the sacred treaties and the self-titled Black Album is that one metal album that non-metal people own and pull out to prove they "like" heavy metal.

3) AC/DC: Chords on top of chords, hooks on top of hooks and two singers--Bon Scott and Brian Johnson--who combined for a serious number of knockout punches. AC/DC knew how to flirt with radio without losing the crunch. And how Angus manages to bang his head and hop around the stage to this day remains one of metal's unsolved mysteries.

2) Led Zeppelin: Zep never stayed in one place too long and while Jimmy Page had an arsenal of riffs for aspiring young guitarists to emulate, the band coasted off into acoustic Hobbit tributes and art-rock when they got bored. But their complete demolition of the blues was damn impressive, whether it was Bonzo's beating the drums into submission or Bob Plant screeching for another inch of his love.

1) Black Sabbath: The lords of darkness who were always trying to find the sunshine but couldn't find the energy to lift the blinds. By keeping it simple and focusing on the most elemental elements, Black Sabbath mastered the art of the powerchord and the downward spiral. Killing themselves to live, never saying die and fighting the war pigs! What a legacy!

--------------------------

(This was a blog post, not AP)

Sweeeeeeeeet....Black Sabbath is right where it should be.

Don Quixote
06-19-2008, 08:43 PM
G 'n' R absolutely was a metal band -- at least they started out that way. More L.A.-metal, not so much satan-and-fire metal. But Appetite for Destruction is one of the great metal albums ever.

Motley Crue also didn't get enough credit. They and GnR were the two greatest L.A. metal bands.

As for the some of the others ...
Iron Maiden was consistently great from the beginning right through about 1990. They actually recorded 2 of their best records with their original singer. Of course Bruce Dickinson came aboard for Number of the Beast, and they made several more great ones. My favorite record from them was Somewhere in Time.

Led Zep was great ... but I'm not sure they were metal. Whereas Judas Priest (another great band) had not an ounce of blues in their music, the Zep was more blues than anything, at least up until their last, and best, record, In Thru the Out Door. I'd put Zep in as one of the great bands, period, and leave them out of the metal category.

Rush ... another one of my favorites, but not metal! Same goes for AC/DC. They made a ton of great records, but I don't think they were metal. Hard rock, yes, but not metal.

Where's Metallica? Ride the Lighting, Master of Puppets, and and Justice for All were all metal classics.

I don't care for Slayer or Black Sabbath, though. Never did. I like Dio, however.

midgetonadonkey
06-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Hendrix is not metal. Neither are AC/DC, Van Halen, Aerosmith or Rush. As far as real metal goes, I think Pantera should be at least top 15 if not top 10. Megadeth, Danzig/Misfits and Anthrax shouldi be up there. But I do agree with the top spot. Black Sabbath is the best.

Don Quixote
06-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Oh, how could I have forgotten Megadeth? Of course they belong. Peace Sells but Who's Buying is a great album. Anthrax was great, too. Pantera was great in an era when metal/hard rock wasn't as good, but they were okay.

slayermin
06-19-2008, 11:12 PM
Megadeth, Danzig/Misfits and Anthrax shouldi be up there.

All those bands deserve to be ranked. I would also include Sepultura and if you include the Misfits, I think D.R.I. deserves some love too.

Mister Sinister
06-20-2008, 12:05 AM
What, no love for Slade? Or would they count?

monosylab1k
06-20-2008, 12:25 AM
half those bands aren't metal and Pantera is way too low on that list.

Don Quixote
06-20-2008, 12:28 AM
No, Danzing and the Misfits, good as they were, don't fit. They're not metal. I know that many people who listen to metal also like them, but they're not metal.

Condemned 2 HelLA
06-20-2008, 02:35 AM
This list makes no sense whatsoever.
Hendrix, Aerosmith, Kiss, Van Halen, AC/DC, Zeppelin, Purple, Robin Trower, Rush, Uriah Heep and even Thin Lizzy were more in the rock or hard rock catagory.
Spinal Tap have no business whatsoever being on here.
No matter what anyone says, G n' R were a glam band.
Messhuggah? Really? They're not THAT influential.
Mercyful Fate before Venom? No fucking way.
Kyuss were good, but I'm not sure about being top 25 good.
Sabbath at the top is logical, but right after that should be Priest, Maiden, Metallica, Motorhead, Slayer, Pantera, then maybe Venom, Mayhem and Death to round out the top 10.

Borosai
06-20-2008, 03:18 AM
You can't forget about NanowaR. Their album "Other Bands Play, Nanowar Gay!" is amazing (no, I'm not kidding... entirely). Look it up. :lol

Alright, here are some lyrics:

TRICYCLES OF STEEL

It's made up of steel, but it's not a motorcycle
It's made up of wheels, but it's not a motorcycle
It's made up of kings, but it's not a motorcycle
It's made of True Metal, it's a fucking tricycle !!

Kings metal power true steel oh yeah !
Nanowar'll always be there !

Tricycles of steel ! tricycles of steel !
Pollution is low, no fuel to go
We ride the the tricycles of steel !
WE RIDE THE TRICYCLES OF STEEL !!

Din din, the bell rings, our tricycles are for kings
(They run just like they had unicorn wings)
Din din, the bell plays, our tricycles are for gays
(Because there's no saddle where our ass lays)

You can't make this stuff up.

ORION
06-20-2008, 08:32 AM
Yeah Aerosmith is way more metal than Pantera :rolleyes

peewee's lovechild
06-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Hendrix is not metal. Neither are AC/DC, Van Halen, Aerosmith or Rush. As far as real metal goes, I think Pantera should be at least top 15 if not top 10. Megadeth, Danzig/Misfits and Anthrax shouldi be up there. But I do agree with the top spot. Black Sabbath is the best.

I have to agree with this.

I don't care for Pantera, but Megadeth, Danzig/Misfits, and Anthrax should be way up there.

midgetonadonkey
06-20-2008, 09:44 AM
No, Danzing and the Misfits, good as they were, don't fit. They're not metal. I know that many people who listen to metal also like them, but they're not metal.

Danzig's solo stuff is pure metal but I know the Misfits could be classified as punk. But if they are listing just rock bands why not list punk bands. The Misfits are more metal than Aerosmith. That's for damn sure.

Lebowski Brickowski
06-20-2008, 10:16 AM
I have to agree with this.

I don't care for Pantera, but Megadeth, Danzig/Misfits, and Anthrax should be way up there.

Please! Pantera was pure ass metal when metal sucked! In fact, they fucking carried the torch and did it in the loudest, most violent and virtuosotic (word?) way -- when all other bands were pussing out (Metallica, AC/DC, all grunge music). There was always Slayer (who rock for all time) but Slayer is niche even for heavy metal. Without Pantera, metal would have died in the 90's and who knows what we'd have now to counter the pussified gender-confused "screamo" "rock" we have now-a-days.

Pantera kills Anthrax -- always will. And don't get me wrong. I was a BIG fan of Scott Ian and Anthrax. But to EVEN SUGGEST that Meggadeth and Anthrax were better than fucking Pantera! It's like saying that the Monkees were better than the Beatles. Or that post ...And Justice For All Metallica is beter than pre-AJFA Metallica. It's just WRONG.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-20-2008, 10:54 AM
this list can be debated til the end of time. i for one have no clue why alice in chains and mercyful fate are on here. i like mercyful fate, but alice in chains?! come on. and meshuggah. they're good, but not that good. same thing with kyuss. they're just one of the many sabbath clones out there.

peewee's lovechild
06-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Please! Pantera was pure ass metal when metal sucked! In fact, they fucking carried the torch and did it in the loudest, most violent and virtuosotic (word?) way -- when all other bands were pussing out (Metallica, AC/DC, all grunge music). There was always Slayer (who rock for all time) but Slayer is niche even for heavy metal. Without Pantera, metal would have died in the 90's and who knows what we'd have now to counter the pussified gender-confused "screamo" "rock" we have now-a-days.

Pantera kills Anthrax -- always will. And don't get me wrong. I was a BIG fan of Scott Ian and Anthrax. But to EVEN SUGGEST that Meggadeth and Anthrax were better than fucking Pantera! It's like saying that the Monkees were better than the Beatles. Or that post ...And Justice For All Metallica is beter than pre-AJFA Metallica. It's just WRONG.

I still don't care for Pantera.

midgetonadonkey
06-20-2008, 11:05 AM
I still don't care for Pantera.

You like Fleetwood Mac so your opinion on metal is pretty much meaningless.

peewee's lovechild
06-20-2008, 11:10 AM
You like Fleetwood Mac so your opinion on metal is pretty much meaningless.

I also like Megadeth and Metallica (pre-St. Anger).

peewee's lovechild
06-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Stevie Nicks!!!!!!!

Viva Las Espuelas
06-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Metallica (pre-St. Anger).further proof your opinion is meaningless. that band died when cliff did.

peewee's lovechild
06-20-2008, 11:23 AM
further proof your opinion is meaningless. that band died when cliff did.

You're just fucking retarded.

And Justice For All is one of my favorite albums as is Garage Days Revisited.

The black album was also pretty solid.

peewee's lovechild
06-20-2008, 11:23 AM
Mater of Puppets was also fucking badass.

peewee's lovechild
06-20-2008, 11:25 AM
But, Cliff was still with them on that one.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-20-2008, 11:34 AM

You're just fucking retarded.

And Justice For All is one of my favorite albums as is Garage Days Revisited.

The black album was also pretty solid.

Mater of Puppets was also fucking badass.

But, Cliff was still with them on that one.

wouldn't my post mean everything BEFORE cliff died was good? also, and justice for all was written way before cliff died. i'm willing to be "One" was the first song you ever heard from them. :lmao

peewee's lovechild
06-20-2008, 11:37 AM
wouldn't my post mean everything BEFORE cliff died was good? also, and justice for all was written way before cliff died. i'm willing to be "One" was the first song you ever heard from them. :lmao

I corrected myself on the Mater of Puppets.

And, the first album I heard was Ride The Lighting. For Whom The Bell Tolls was the first song I ever heard.

But, I still say that And Justice For All is my favorite album. Which was released after Cliff died, with Jason Newsted.

So, according to you, this album must suck.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-20-2008, 11:57 AM
But, I still say that And Justice For All is my favorite album. Which was released after Cliff died, with Jason Newsted.

So, according to you, this album must suck.

also, and justice for all was written way before cliff died.

i guess you keep coming up with 5 when you put 2 and 2 together.
plus i dare you to pick out the bass part anywhere on that album, and i'm not talking about the low end coming from the guitars.

peewee's lovechild
06-20-2008, 12:20 PM
i guess you keep coming up with 5 when you put 2 and 2 together.
plus i dare you to pick out the bass part anywhere on that album, and i'm not talking about the low end coming from the guitars.

Was Cliff alive when Justice was recorded?

Did he have any part in the recording of that album?

I'll wait for you answer.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Was Cliff alive when Justice was recorded?

Did he have any part in the recording of that album?

I'll wait for you answer.
still coming up with 5, huh?

peewee's lovechild
06-20-2008, 12:27 PM
still coming up with 5, huh?

Still not answering, huh?

Viva Las Espuelas
06-20-2008, 12:33 PM
http://forevergeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/johnnyfive.jpg

Mister Sinister
06-20-2008, 12:34 PM
:lmao

dimsah
06-20-2008, 12:37 PM
How can you not like "And Justice for All"?
Eye of the Beholder, Dyers Eve, Blackened?

That was a badass album..........but Master of Puppets was better.

peewee's lovechild
06-20-2008, 12:38 PM

Viva says it's not good because Cliff Burton is not on the album.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-20-2008, 12:47 PM

i see you're coming up with 5 as well.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-20-2008, 12:48 PM

http://www.creativeballoon.co.uk/docs/images/5alive.jpg

peewee's lovechild
06-20-2008, 01:19 PM

i see you're coming up with 5 as well.

mrsmaalox
06-20-2008, 01:23 PM

If Viva says it, it must be true. You'll never know anyone who knows more about music (all kinds of music) backwards and forwards, inside and out, than he does.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-20-2008, 01:43 PM
If Viva says it, it must be true. You'll never know anyone who knows more about music (all kinds of music) backwards and forwards, inside and out, than he does.i don't know eveerything about music, but i know what i know. i know pee wee can't read. it's amazing he's a parent

peewee's lovechild
06-20-2008, 01:45 PM
i don't know eveerything about music, but i know what i know. i know pee wee can't read. it's amazing he's a parent

that band died when cliff did.

It's not hard to read.

Justice was made after Cliff died.

So, using your rationale, Justice isn't any good.

E20
06-20-2008, 01:52 PM
When I started to listen to Metallica, first I heard some newer stuff like Ride the Lightning, Creeping Death, Enter Sandman. I like all their old stuff from Kill 'em All, Master of Puppets etc..but I don't understand why their post cliff stuff is supposodely supposed to suck. Black Album, Ride the Lightning, And Justice for all was pretty good. Load/Reload sorta sucked.....only song I liked was Devils Dance and maybe Until it Sleeps. St. Anger album I didn't even listen to it sounded too punkish from the excerpts I've heard. Also Newstead wasn't a bad bass player he was pretty good, but why compare him to cliff they had different playing styles, they were both good, but Cliff was the better composer, although Newstead's My Friend Misery was pretty good IMO. Now that Newstead is gone the band has completely gone to shit. Trujillo? PUH-lease.

mrsmaalox
06-20-2008, 01:53 PM
i don't know eveerything about music, but i know what i know. i know pee wee can't read. it's amazing he's a parent

Well Peewee probably can read, but it has nothing to do with him being a parent!

Viva Las Espuelas
06-20-2008, 01:56 PM
.but I don't understand why their post cliff stuff is supposodely supposed to suck. Black Album, Ride the Lightning, And Justice for all was pretty good. you too? i posted that ....and justice was written WAY BEFORE cliff died. hence, it was written while he was in the band. i know jason played on it, but he had no influence on that album. hell there isn't any bass guitar on that album!! i dare anyone to pick it out. lars and james were controlling dicks and didn't let jason have any influence whatsoever until load and reload. by then they already had a toe tag.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Well Peewee probably can read, but it has nothing to do with him being a parent!

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

peewee's lovechild
06-20-2008, 01:57 PM
When I started to listen to Metallica, first I heard some newer stuff like Ride the Lightning, Creeping Death, Enter Sandman. I like all their old stuff from Kill 'em All, Master of Puppets etc..but I don't understand why their post cliff stuff is supposodely supposed to suck. Black Album, Ride the Lightning, And Justice for all was pretty good. Load/Reload sorta sucked.....only song I liked was Devils Dance and maybe Until it Sleeps. St. Anger album I didn't even listen to it sounded too punkish from the excerpts I've heard. Also Newstead wasn't a bad bass player he was pretty good, but why compare him to cliff they had different playing styles, they were both good, but Cliff was the better composer, although Newstead's My Friend Misery was pretty good IMO. Now that Newstead is gone the band has completely gone to shit. Trujillo? PUH-lease.

In Viva's ever great estimation, they were just shit after Cliff died.

I really like And Justice For All, my favorite album, and I also think the Black Album is also pretty good. Load/Reload were just okay, but St. Anger really sucked.

E20
06-20-2008, 01:59 PM
you too? i posted that ....and justice was written WAY BEFORE cliff died. hence, it was written while he was in the band. i know jason played on it, but he had no influence on that album. hell there isn't any bass guitar on that album!! i dare anyone to pick it out. lars and james were controlling dicks and didn't let jason have any influence whatsoever until load and reload. by then they already had a toe tag.
Yeah I know some of the songs on Justice for All were authored by Cliff. The reason there is no bass whatosever was the fact the band felt they needed to be an ass to Newstead to honor Cliff and it was supposed to be a temporary thing to act like an ass to Newstead, but they never stopped, which was incredibly stupid on Lars, Hetfield, and Hammet's part. Later on they were supposdely going to release And Justice for All with bass. LOL

But I still stand that the band was going good after Cliff died and started to sink after Load and Reload was released. I also liked their Symphony and Metal (SM) album they released.

peewee's lovechild
06-20-2008, 01:59 PM
you too? i posted that ....and justice was written WAY BEFORE cliff died. hence, it was written while he was in the band. i know jason played on it, but he had no influence on that album. hell there isn't any bass guitar on that album!! i dare anyone to pick it out. lars and james were controlling dicks and didn't let jason have any influence whatsoever until load and reload. by then they already had a toe tag.

Not it wasn't.

He died before they recorded and wrote the songs.

The only song that was influenced by Cliff was "To Live Is To Die", which he was working on before he died.

Everything else was all Hetfield and Ulrich.

peewee's lovechild
06-20-2008, 02:02 PM
Yeah I know some of the songs on Justice for All were authored by Cliff. The reason there is no bass whatosever was the fact the band felt they needed to be an ass to Newstead to honor Cliff and it was supposed to be a temporary thing to act like an ass to Newstead, but they never stopped, which was incredibly stupid on Lars, Hetfield, and Hammet's part. Later on they were supposdely going to release And Justice for All with bass. LOL

It was more of how they recorded, rather than if Newstead had any influence or not.

Hetfield has always said that he wishes they could re-record the album because, the way it was recorded, the guitars drowned out the bass.

They honored Cliff with To Live Is To Die, a piece he was working on before he died.

peewee's lovechild
And, the S&M album was pretty good.

nsrammstein
Rammstein deserves to be on that list, a band formed by guys from East Germany that have sold over 15 million albums worldwide singing almost exclusively in German; Yet they still manage to fill up stadiums with 15,000+ people...All their songs are good and talk about the dark side of humans...Their live shows make other bands look weak

E20
06-20-2008, 02:03 PM
It was more of how they recorded, rather than if Newstead had any influence or not.

Hetfield has always said that he wishes they could re-record the album because, the way it was recorded, the guitars drowned out the bass.

They honored Cliff with To Live Is To Die, a piece he was working on before he died.

Yeah that's what I meant the way And Justice for All was produced was that they lowered the volume on the bass whilst upping the other guitars. But they still felt they needed to act like an ass on Newstead for a while.

peewee's lovechild
06-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Yeah that's what I meant the way And Justice for All was produced was that they lowered the volume on the bass whilst upping the other guitars. But they still felt they needed to act like an ass on Newstead for a while.

That was the producer and engineers fault, not the band.

That's why Hetfield and Ulrich always said they wish they could re-record the album.

E20
06-20-2008, 02:05 PM
That was the producer and engineers fault, not the band.

That's why Hetfield and Ulrich always said they wish they could re-record the album.

Hetfield and Lars had an influence on that. They felt it was their need to make Jason's inital membership of the band a living hell.

peewee's lovechild
06-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Hetfield and Lars had an influence on that. They felt it was their need to make Jason's inital membership of the band a living hell.

That's not what I have read or seen in interviews, but there might be something out there that you have read and I have not.

dimsah
06-20-2008, 02:11 PM

His initial membership was the ep Garage Days.

You can't hear the bass on AJFA. That's always been the knock against it but it's still a good album, Cliff Burton or not.

I can't listen to anything from Load to present as it makes me physically ill.

mardigan
06-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Rammstein deserves to be on that list, a band formed by guys from East Germany that have sold over 15 million albums worldwide singing almost exclusively in German; Yet they still manage to fill up stadiums with 15,000+ people...All their songs are good and talk about the dark side of humans...Their live shows make other bands look weak

Rammstein has doen nothing to help further the genre, and in fact they just might have set it back. They wouldnt even be in the top 100.

mardigan
06-20-2008, 02:16 PM
[QUOTE=Viva Las Espuelas;2613910] and meshuggah. they're good, but not that good.QUOTE]

Got to disagree with you on that one.

mardigan
06-20-2008, 02:17 PM
And no Sepultura? List is a fucking joke. Sepultura should be in the top 10 easy.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Got to disagree with you on that one.no. they are good. believe me. i was listening to obzen a little while ago, but they get too repetitive for me. kinda like lamb of god. same formula for every song. tomas haake is an excellent drummer.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-20-2008, 02:22 PM
His initial membership was the ep Garage Days.

garage days re-re-visited

mardigan
06-20-2008, 02:27 PM
no. they are good. believe me. i was listening to obzen a little while ago, but they get too repetitive for me. kinda like lamb of god. same formula for every song. tomas haake is an excellent drummer.

Yea, I can see that. Thats why I like bands like Between The Buried And Me so much, constant changes. But your right about the drummer, dude is a robot.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Yea, I can see that. Thats why I like bands like Between The Buried And Me so much, constant changes. But your right about the drummer, dude is a robot.oh i like changes too. i like dillinger, locusts, and daughters. a friend of mine lent me Colors and i just liked the first half of it. i feel they crammed too many influences on that one. i dug their cover album though.

mardigan
06-20-2008, 02:38 PM
oh i like changes too. i like dillinger, locusts, and daughters. a friend of mine lent me Colors and i just liked the first half of it. i feel they crammed too many influences on that one. i dug their cover album though.

Locusts is some crazy ass shit. Dillinger Ive lost my love for, but Under The Running Board and Calculating Infinity are classics. Dont know much about Daughters.And if you get a chance, check out the album Silent Circus by B.T.B.A.M., its their first and hardest album.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Locusts is some crazy ass shit. Dillinger Ive lost my love for, but Under The Running Board and Calculating Infinity are classics. Dont know much about Daughters.And if you get a chance, check out the album Silent Circus by B.T.B.A.M., its their first and hardest album.will do. i didn't care for the new dilinger at all. miss machine was ok at best. i saw a show with dillinger and locusts on the same bill and that was crazy. daughters is kinda similar to locusts. the drummer is a machine. check out their myspace.

Lebowski Brickowski
06-20-2008, 04:41 PM
metal rules

AlamoSpursFan
06-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Metallica performing One live is one of the most awesome concert going experiences I've ever experienced. I saw them on both the Justice and Black album tours. They extended the battlefield sequence in the intro and cranked it up to 11, complete with pyrotechnics to match the explosions. The freaking helicopter sound seemed like there was a Huey in the arena. I was amazed. And (not coincidentally) also quite high...

:lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-20-2008, 05:04 PM
This list almost needs to be done by period because the definition of "metal" has changed so much over the years.

Personally I'd of included Accept on the list...but I'm an 80's metal fan.

AlamoSpursFan
06-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Chopper wants to put a bomb in everyone's ass...

:lol

SAtoDallas
06-20-2008, 08:57 PM
This list makes no sense. No Sepultura, Anthrax, Megadeth wtf?

Condemned 2 HelLA
06-21-2008, 01:16 AM

Not just no, but FUCK NO!!!!!

nsrammstein
06-21-2008, 02:13 AM
The great thing about Rammstein is that none of the guys has a tatoo or is your typical ''rockstar'' but yet they still manage to wirte kick ass shows and perform better than most american bands.

Condemned 2 HelLA
06-21-2008, 02:37 AM
Did I just hear that Iron Maiden, Mastodon and Dethklok played in Toronto on the same day?!!?
:wow

Viva Las Espuelas
06-21-2008, 08:59 AM
I know mastodon was playing a few dates with maiden. don't know if deathKlok was included.

nsrammstein
06-21-2008, 02:08 PM
it would be a fucking disgrage to rammstein to compare them to some of the bands on that list

whottt
06-22-2008, 01:55 AM

Smart #1. If they hadn't been #1, this list would have failed no matter how they ranked anyone else. As it is...because of Sabbath's ranking, no matter what other fuckups they made the list is legitimate.

whottt
06-22-2008, 02:01 AM
I'd say it's fair to classify AC DC and Aerosmith as Heavy Metal. ACDC was definitely considered heavy metal at one point. It's more difficult to put Aerosmith on the list, but I remember in the early early 80's Aerosmith was pretty much considered heavy metal.

Hell...Def Leppard was considered heavy metal when they first came out.

Some of the other bands are jokes being on this list...most definitely Thin Lizzy.

whottt
06-22-2008, 02:44 AM
I haven't listened to heavy metal, probably since Metallica went mainstream, so I don't know much about most of the newer bands, but these are some of the notable omissions IMO:

1. Iron Butterfly - IMO they were the first modern heavy metal band even though they seldom get credit for it, so they belong on the list. I've can only think of one song they made, but to me In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is the first heavy metal song, and it's a long damn song too....that song is practically an album. Plus, I mean you hear that song and it's heavy. And it predates Sabbath just barely.

They've even got the name, and on their album they defined themselves as heavy. I think they probably deserve to be on this list more than Steppenwolf, even though I think Steppenwolf was the first band to ever use the term in a song. BLue Cheer is another band that is in the discussion for protopyical heavy metal band.

2. Blue Oyster Cult - Yeah they're heavy metal, half the time, and they were the first ones to use the term in a song name .

3. Raven - I can't think of a single song they made, nor have I heard anything from them in a loooooooong time...all I know is that the first time I heard Metallica, Metallica was the opening band for Raven. It was funny...we were excited about getting to see Raven, that was all we could talk about, didn't even know who Metallica was and Metallica destroyed them, and Raven was never heard from again. I think it happened on that entire tour that launched Metallica. The funny thing is they were actually a pretty good band...and were generally considered the best heavy metal band at the time of that tour...but they never got over the devastation that Metallica laid on them.

4. Alice Cooper - Maybe not a guy that screams heavy metal right off the bat, until you realize how many Metal Bands ripped off his stage persona. Kiss didn't invent the look and the themes...Alice Cooper did. He was so influential that he belongs on that list before most of the bands do.

It's funny...he's not even considered that unique by modern standards...but he was a fucking freak at one point.

5. UFO - I don't know why UFO never gets mentioned on any lists...Rock or Heavy Metal...people don't know what they're missing.

And you can't mention UFO without mentioning:

6. Michael Shenker(and group) - After Tony Iommi and before Randy Rhodes...this guy was theeeeeee Heavy Metal Guitarist.

There are probably a lot of new bands that are better bands and more deserving of being on the list than those guys...but I just know those guys belong on there more than some of those bands that made the list(like Thin Lizzy, who is not heavy metal and never was).

Condemned 2 HelLA
06-22-2008, 02:50 AM
I was wondering why BOC and UFO didn't get any mention on the list in question. I mean, if you're going to put Alice In Chains and Spinal Tap on the list, BOC and UFO should be on there long before you even get to AIC & the 'Tap.

Also: why all the disdain for Lizzy? Granted, I wouldn't consider them metal either, but if push came to shove, they deserve a spot moreso than say Meshggah, Robin Trower or Rush.

whottt
06-22-2008, 04:07 AM
I was wondering why BOC and UFO didn't get any mention on the list in question. I mean, if you're going to put Alice In Chains and Spinal Tap on the list, BOC and UFO should be on there long before you even get to AIC & the 'Tap.

Also: why all the disdain for Lizzy? Granted, I wouldn't consider them metal either, but if push came to shove, they deserve a spot moreso than say Meshggah, Robin Trower or Rush.

It's not disdain, I like Thin Lizzy...but they aren't a heavy metal band. Plus I couldn't remember any of the other bands that didn't belong on the list. I agree, Rush and Robin Trower don't belong either. Or Alice in Chains. Rush and Thin Lizzy aren't even close to heavy hetal IMO. I've never heard of Meshggah.

Spurminator
06-22-2008, 11:47 PM
I don't have any issue with calling Rush metal if you're talking about their 70s material. Same with AiC... I don't know if I'd call them a metal band, but I've always thought of Dirt as a metal album.

Marklar MM
06-23-2008, 12:15 AM
I've never heard of Meshggah.

Kick ass band. PS...it is Meshuggah.

J-XtIorce9Q

DarkReign
06-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Debate away, at least the guy got Metallica, Slayer, Pantera and Motorhead on the list.

Think of some noobs list that could have written this piece. Fallout Boy, My Chemical Romance or some obscure reference to Green Day or Jackal.

ATRAIN
06-23-2008, 09:48 AM
This list sucks bottome line. IF anything they should have done it by era.

Supreme_Being
06-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Where the FUCK is Dream Theater?

Viva Las Espuelas
06-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Where the FUCK is Dream Theater?
i seemed to have missed "gay" in the thread title.

ATRAIN
06-23-2008, 10:53 AM
^^ LMAO. This list fails especially because its totally opinionated. To each their own.

whottt
06-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Kick ass band. PS...it is Meshuggah.

J-XtIorce9Q

Is that them?

Gawd they suck.

That shit is why I don't listen to Heavy Metal anymore...IMO, it's just crap with little or no musical value, and to make things even worse...it's not even original crap or crap with variety. Not the topic of the songs, not the guitar stylings, not the vocal stylings...I doubt their visual style is original either.

IF you are going to eradicate any semblance of a melody and non screaming vocalizations, from your music...it at least needs to be original and shit you haven't heard before...not shit where not only does it sound like 50 other bands, but you can't even tell where one of their songs ends and the next one begins.

It's just not that good...especially in a genre where imitation is king.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Where's Megadeth? Sepultura? Saxon? Anthrax?

Anyone who says Rammstein should be there needs to listen to Helloween first and then come back to this thread.

If Hendrix, Alice In Chains and even friggin Aerosmith are to be considered, then the earlier Queen should be in there too.

Kiss blows. If they're there, so should be Alice Cooper.