PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Horry's leap: To Play Or Not

duncan228
06-19-2008, 11:35 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.062008.1D_BKN_mike_monroe.en.3d58225.html

Mike Monroe: Horry's leap: To play or not
Mike Monroe

Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen finally have earned championship rings.

So, too, did 38-year-old P.J. Brown, who is older than every NBA player not named Armstrong or Mutombo.

He is even older than Robert Horry, who won't turn 38 until Aug. 25.

Brown came out of retirement in March, and gave the Celtics precisely the sort of front-line help they needed in their run to a 17th title.

Horry has seven rings, and no player who wasn't part of the Celtics' first dynasty has more. Bill Russell, who was, gets to keep all 11 of his rings now that Garnett, to whom he famously pledged one if the Celtics did not win the title, has one due him at a ceremony this fall.

Horry would like an eighth ring, not to mention a shot at redeeming a wasted 2007-08 season. It was so choppy, it rivaled 1996-97 as the worst of his amazing, 16-season run that has stamped him as one of the greatest role players in league history.

Then, the Suns traded him to the Lakers after he threw a towel at Suns head coach Danny Ainge during a regular-season game. Can you imagine how thoroughly that incident would have been revisited had the Spurs advanced to the Finals against the Celtics?

For now, Horry remains “up in the air” — his words — about returning. He will become a free agent July 1. If the Spurs decide not to offer him another deal, there are only two or three other teams for which he would consider playing. Presume one is the Rockets, because he still has a home in Houston. The Hornets would be another, both for their proximity to Houston and the presence of a championship-contending core.

What Horry says he won't do, though, is what Brown did: wait until late next season to come out of retirement to help a team with championship potential.

“I wouldn't feel right doing that,” Horry said. “You've got to go through training camp with the rest of the guys. Don't just sit back and wait and get all the glory.”

Horry doesn't begrudge Brown his ring, but when you already have seven, you can afford a more rigorous set of standards.

Tim Duncan and Gregg Popovich have joked that Horry has been sitting back through the regular season and waiting for playoff glory since he signed with the Spurs in the summer of 2003.

His response: “If Pop would play me more during the regular season, he'd find out I could give him a lot more than he's gotten the last couple of years.”

In fact, Popovich couldn't play Horry often last season. When training camp began, he sent Horry to Houston to deal with a serious illness of a family member.

Then Horry was plagued by injuries all season, including a deep knee bruise that carried into the playoffs.

It should be noted that when the Spurs were pressed by the Hornets in the second round, Horry still was in Popovich's regular playing rotation. In Game 7 of that series, “Big Shot Rob” made two 3-pointers.

With the Spurs' 2007 first-rounder, Tiago Splitter, re-signing with a team in Spain, can the Spurs completely dismiss the notion of bringing Horry back for one more run?

Horry didn't pay much attention to the Finals. In fact, he missed the media feeding frenzy that followed felonious referee Tim Donaghy's assertion that two NBA “company men” refs made sure the Lakers won Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference finals vs. the Kings.

“I've been wondering why a bunch of people have been asking me about that the last few days,” Horry said on Monday afternoon. “I didn't even hear anything about what (Donaghy) said.”

Was Horry angry that such an allegation would diminish his legacy, since his “Big Shot Rob” reputation pretty much grew out of the amazing 3-pointer that won Game 4 of that memorable 2002 series?

“I don't believe I have a legacy,” he said. “I think that went down the drain after the Steve Nash play (in the 2007 Western Conference semifinals).”

It didn't, but Horry always has maintained a humility about his personal achievements that is rare in a look-at-me league full of chest-pounders.

pawe
06-19-2008, 11:45 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing him on the squad next season but at least let him earn his money by playing him and relieving Duncan from time to time. TD should be the one fresh for the playoffs.

Udokafan05
06-19-2008, 11:47 PM
I like Horry, but his shot was not there when they needed it, and is why he didn't play near as much in the playoffs as he usually does. Thomas should have recieved more of his minutes.

phyzik
06-19-2008, 11:59 PM
I like Horry, but his shot was not there when they needed it, and is why he didn't play near as much in the playoffs as he usually does. Thomas should have recieved more of his minutes.

The problem with that is he barely played last season. I still think Rob has the magic in him. You dont just give away a player like Robert Horry.... I can seriously imagine him killing the Spurs with a dagger shot.

If he wants to play, he should be allowed to stay.... 2005 earned him at least that much respect.... Everyone thought he was done back then too...

Im sorry, but in this day in age, I feel the Spurs are better at respecting players than any other orginization and we should hold them to that. I would rather have the feeling of integrity with my chosen team and lose rather than to have them sell out and try and "buy" a championship.

Thats not a knock on Lakers or Celtics. It worked so what can I say? but still... at least my team doesnt have its integrity in question.

Holt's Cat
06-20-2008, 12:05 AM
That's swell, Monrow. What might the Spurs do next week?

PM5K
06-20-2008, 12:29 AM
I would rather have the feeling of integrity with my chosen team and lose rather than to have them sell out and try and "buy" a championship.

Thats not a knock on Lakers or Celtics. It worked so what can I say? but still... at least my team doesnt have its integrity in question.

Dumbest post ever....

T Park
06-20-2008, 12:33 AM
The problem with that is he barely played last season. I still think Rob has the magic in him. You dont just give away a player like Robert Horry.... I can seriously imagine him killing the Spurs with a dagger shot.

If he wants to play, he should be allowed to stay.... 2005 earned him at least that much respect.... Everyone thought he was done back then too...

Im sorry, but in this day in age, I feel the Spurs are better at respecting players than any other orginization and we should hold them to that. I would rather have the feeling of integrity with my chosen team and lose rather than to have them sell out and try and "buy" a championship.

Robert Horry still has bullets left in the gun.

I could think of worse 12th men to have.

timvp
06-20-2008, 12:41 AM
If Kurt Thomas can't be re-signed, Horry becomes an option. If Thomas is re-signed, Horry is probably gone. But then again, if the Spurs move Bonner, a spot deep on the bench opens up for Horry.

Blackjack
06-20-2008, 01:34 AM
If Kurt Thomas can't be re-signed, Horry becomes an option. If Thomas is re-signed, Horry is probably gone. But then again, if the Spurs move Bonner, a spot deep on the bench opens up for Horry.

I agree. Selfishly I want him back because I don't want to see him go out on such a sour note. Between the family issues in training camp and the injuries, Rob deserves better.

Having said that... Unless Bonner or Kurt goes, I just can't justify him being on the roster next year. :(

milkyway21
06-20-2008, 01:38 AM
IMO, Horry will be back. If they can sign a worthless Mengke Bateer before, why not Horry who can help them in the playoffs? And he is plus factor in the locker room.

maybe he can be a mentor to the Red Rocket.

Blackjack
06-20-2008, 01:55 AM
IMO, Horry will be back. If they can sign a worthless Mengke Bateer before, why not Horry who can help them in the playoffs? And he is plus factor in the locker room.

maybe he can be a mentor to the Red Rocket.

Our front-line is most likely-

Duncan, Oberto, Thomas, Mahinmi, Bonner, and maybe a draft-pick.

Doesn't really leave room for Rob unless there's a trade.

I'd love for Ian to be able to learn from Rob, but unless he's interested in coaching? I just dont see it happening.

SenorSpur
06-20-2008, 02:36 AM
I always have to preface my comments about Horry by saying I love Robert and appreciate his contributions - especially in 2005. However, the Spurs have reached a critical juncture in terms of their personnel. They have to make hard, sound decisions on the team they're going to roll into next season with.

Sentiment cannot and should not get in the way of making these decisions. They can ill-afford to waste a roster spot on anyone who cannot be counted on game-to-game.

That said, it's time to turn the page and replace the older players, like Horry, whose skills have diminshed.

1Parker1
06-20-2008, 07:37 AM
Part of me wants Horry to have nothing to do with the Spurs next season. Especially when I remember just how bad he was this season, including for most of the playoffs. I agree that Horry does probably have another big shot or two up his sleeve, a player like him always will. But at this point in his career, he's such a liability on the defensive end against most of the players the Spurs will meet in the playoffs that it's really hard to justify having him out there.

That being said, another part of me can just picture him signing with the Rockets or the Hornets and making one of his patented shots against the Spurs in the playoffs. :pctoss

1Parker1
06-20-2008, 07:42 AM
Oh and I think Horry's pride is really hurt, he didn't want to go out and end his career the way he played in 2008. That's the biggest reason why he thinks he can play one more year. Personally, from what I saw this past year, it's hard to imagine him being able to keep up.

Then again, if a 38 PJ Brown can do it, I think Horry can. It's worth it to have him on the end of the bench. Even at this point, I'd rather play him than Bonner. :lol

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-20-2008, 08:17 AM
I hope we package Bonner. Seemed like a nice guy but Pop obviously didn't trust him, couldn't get with the program defensively I guess.

The Truth #6
06-20-2008, 08:23 AM
Re-signing Horry seems like an admission that we couldn't find anyone else to develop and have run out of ideas.

As others have said, Horry should always be loved for what he brought to the Spurs, but his time is passed. It makes sense he doesn't want to end his career on a bad note, but to be honest, I thought he should have retired after his last title on a high note.

If he played better in this year's playoffs it would make sense to bring him back, but I don't think he did play that well, and knowing that he can't play much in the regular season his presence would probably put more wear on Tim.

MoSpur
06-20-2008, 08:44 AM
Only if Bonner doesn't come back. Let Horry retire with the Rockets.

mrspurs
06-20-2008, 08:53 AM
first of all..if kurt would have been traded at from the start of the season...horry would have been a waterboy....im not sure what people see in horry..honestly the man is overrated...he cant shoot, he cant play defense, he is slower then a toddler learning how to walk...imo besides our staff killing our season with such bonehead bones ....one of the other bonehead moves was to allow horry to comeback and shine the pine.....like buck harvey articles........horry was just a........waste of space....pj brown outplayed horry easily....wanna know why an old fart can come our of retirement and make an impact on his team.........easy...pj brown doesnt have the ok to chunk up bricks from the arc....pj brown played great defense for a man his age....horry will never be the same....unless he meets up with some of the mlb players on steriods..i see no use in keeping him...........i would have kept elson over horry.....elson still had speed, he could still jump and rebound, but most of all, elson never looked at taking a shot from the arc....elson looked to block shots, stretch those arms and make it harder for opponents to shoot over.....horry...what a joke if we keep him...if we keep horry, its only cos he does something in the lockerrooms better then anyother players..

MarCowMar
06-20-2008, 10:34 AM
I love having Horry on the Spurs but he just seemed slow and out of it--even bored--when Pop gave him minutes this year. He still makes savvy plays but it didn't seem like he was a net positive on the court in most of his playing time.

I would like to see what Bonner is capable of with Horry's minutes. Bonner is not as smart as Horry, but he's scrappy and I trust Bonner's shot more at this point. We only need 10 minutes a game from either of these guys.

SenorSpur
06-20-2008, 10:53 AM
It's a difficult thing, but sometimes the player is the LAST to know how far south his skills and abilities have deteriorated. The mind says "I can play", but the body usually says otherwise.

Personally, I questioned whether Horry's commitment to play still existed. After all, he was absent the first part of the season, injured during the middle and ineffective/out-of-shape during the latter. Sure he had a moment or two during the Hornet series, but it was readily apparent that he was hurting the team defensively.

Most NBA players do not have the foresight to simply retire, they are just forced to "move aside" when they do not receive a call from anyone or don't like the situation they are in. P.J. Brown very well might have been in the same situation, had it not been for the Celtics coming to his rescue. Before that, he was on the couch - and liking it.

Nostalgia and sentiment do not win championships. If the Spurs give into sentiment and bring Horry back, they may as well do the same for Finley. Then they'll have virtually the same team, and the same bench players, that faltered in the WCF. All of which solves absolutely nothing and doesn't make them any better! Everyone is in virtual agreement that the Spurs need to get younger, healthier and more athletic. They cannot do so by continuing to harbor older, injury-prone players, whose better days are behind them. They absolutely have to move on.

There's an old saying among athletes that "anytime you start to contemplate retirement, you already have". Since Horry can't make the decision himself, the Spurs will have to do so for him. If he wants to continue to play, that's fine. He just can't play here.

Sway
06-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Retire already! Don’t be that guy that stays around way past his time. That is not the way to go out…

Gino
06-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Retire already! Don’t be that guy that stays around way past his time. That is not the way to go out…

Too late.

SPURSGOAT
06-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Retire!!! you were worthless in the playoffs... past your prime. Damn I hope the Spurs don't re-sign him.

Brutalis
06-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Retire bro. Don't prolong your end.

remingtonbo2001
06-20-2008, 08:34 PM
I think if Horry hadn't been injured many would be singing a different tune.

Horry still has gas left in the tank. He still has one big shot left in him.

I'll take the heart of a champion over athleticism any day of the week.

koopa
06-20-2008, 08:49 PM
fuck horry, if he's back, i'm not gonna watch a single game next year and hope they don't win a game, because bringing back this bum just shows they have no desire to make the team better

Ronaldo McDonald
06-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Trade Bonner if it's possible and keep Horry. Hopefully he just had an off year with the injuries and personal problems and all that. People conclude that he's done based on his performance against L.A. and I don't know why. He was still recovering from injury and trying to get his stroke back. Hopefully with training camp, the fire under is ass after being knocked out, and good fortune health wise he'd contribute and be "Big Shot" again.

Guajalote
06-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Whatever happens, I hope that when the Spurs/Robert Horry years come to an end, we don't throw him under a bus like the Lakers did. Absolutely shameful. I'll always root for him because of how they treated him. (That, and all the huge shots he's hit for us).

bigdog
06-21-2008, 03:28 AM
If he does come back this year, then I'd want Bonner gone. No matter what injuries or setbacks Horry has had, he's still more mobile and agile than Bonner is, even at his age.

I know it wouldn't make us any younger, but I do think Horry would be better than Bonner.

But I say that he should retire.

T Park
06-21-2008, 03:32 AM
fuck horry, if he's back, i'm not gonna watch a single game next year and hope they don't win a game, because bringing back this bum just shows they have no desire to make the team better

Fuck you.

m33p0
06-21-2008, 05:41 AM
the man has nothing more to prove.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-21-2008, 08:13 AM
If he does come back this year, then I'd want Bonner gone. No matter what injuries or setbacks Horry has had, he's still more mobile and agile than Bonner is, even at his age.

I know it wouldn't make us any younger, but I do think Horry would be better than Bonner.

But I say that he should retire.

I'm ambivalent about Horry coming back. It would be great for him to be aboard if we win it all next year again, with the odd number year in our favor. :lol
but at the same time he looks like he should have retired after 2007.

Sometimes you just gotta let it go and step aside.

wildchild
06-21-2008, 08:26 AM
I'm ambivalent about Horry coming back
Me too. I hope Pop lets Ian and Matt play next season and I don't know how he'll make it happen if Robert is going to stay in the team.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-21-2008, 09:44 AM

Splendid.

Booharv
06-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Please dear god fucking retire.

SenorSpur
06-21-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm ambivalent about Horry coming back. It would be great for him to be aboard if we win it all next year again, with the odd number year in our favor. :lol
but at the same time he looks like he should have retired after 2007.

Sometimes you just gotta let it go and step aside.

Amen, brother,