PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker interview

Bruno
06-20-2008, 06:01 AM
Made 3 days ago.
Link in French : http://www.rmc.fr/edito/sport/52271/parker-ce-nest-pas-une-fin-de-cycle-/
I find it quite interesting. I only translated Spurs' related parts.

Tony, three weeks after your elimination against Lakers in the WCF, how do you judge this 2008 season?
When you play for a team like Spurs, there is a lot of pressure. The only goal is to win the title. We really wanted to realize a back to back this year. Despite our elimination, I find that we have made a good season. Our team is going old and some players weren't at 100%. As an example, I think at Manu Ginobili, who played the WCF with a bad ankle. On top of that, we had really difficult play-offs. We first played against Phoenix. Mentally and physically, that pumped us a lot of energy. We won the series in five games but we had the feeling that it was in seven. Then we had to play against Hornets , a team that drove us to the wall. They are young and athletic. In years to come, they are the team to look after. So we were a little tired against Lakers. We hadn't enough resources to beat them. As a whole, it is a good season but you are for sure disappointed to stop that close to the NBA final..

Can one speak about the end of a cycle for San Antonio?
I would not speak about the end of a cycle. I think that the team won't change a lot this summer. It will be the same players at 80%. We only need some rotation players. They are the ones who can allow us to win it all. In any case, it isn't the Spurs way to do a lot of changes. Gregg Popovich likes stability and it has always paid off. When we were eliminated in 2004 and 2006, we have won the title the following year. Don't wait for crazy things in the months to come. Two or three players will come, nothing more.

In which areas to you need improvements ?
we need an athletic swingman, a point guard and a bigman. About the bigman, we had to see what Ian Mahinmi can bring to us. The door has opened still a little more for him since Splitter, who was drafted in 2007, has decided to stay in Europe. Spurs were disappointed by his choice, they had high expectations on him for the next year. So, Ian could benefit from that.

About French NT, will you play qualifications of the Euro this summer ?
Not I will not play. My decision is made for a long time and I won't change it. Michel Gomez (French NT coach) knows that.

timvp
06-20-2008, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the find and translation :tu

Tony, three weeks after your elimination against Lakers in the WCF, how do you judge this 2008 season?
When you play for a team like Spurs, there is a lot of pressure. The only goal is to win the title. We really wanted to realize a back to back this year. Despite our elimination, I find that we have made a good season. Our team is going old and some players weren't at 100%. As an example, I think at Manu Ginobili, who played the WCF with a bad ankle. On top of that, we had really difficult play-offs. We first played against Phoenix. Mentally and physically, that pumped us a lot of energy. We won the series in five games but we had the feeling that it was in seven. Then we had to play against Hornets , a team that drove us to the wall. They are young and athletic. In years to come, they are the team to look after. So we were a little tired against Lakers. We hadn't enough resources to beat them. As a whole, it is a good season but you are for sure disappointed to stop that close to the NBA final..Pretty good summary. If the Spurs would have gone on to win the championship, this would have been the toughest road to a championship in NBA history. The Spurs didn't do it but it wasn't like the Spurs failed in a easily winnable situation like in 2006.

I would not speak about the end of a cycle. I think that the team won't change a lot this summer. It will be the same players at 80%. We only need some rotation players. They are the ones who can allow us to win it all. In any case, it isn't the Spurs way to do a lot of changes. Gregg Popovich likes stability and it has always paid off. When we were eliminated in 2004 and 2006, we have won the title the following year. Don't wait for crazy things in the months to come. Two or three players will come, nothing more.Sounds about right. Between two and four new players and the Spurs should be fine once again.

we need an athletic swingman, a point guard and a bigman. About the bigman, we had to see what Ian Mahinmi can bring to us. The door has opened still a little more for him since Splitter, who was drafted in 2007, has decided to stay in Europe. Spurs were disappointed by his choice, they had high expectations on him for the next year. So, Ian could benefit from that.I'm glad that TP (and hopefully RC and Pop) realize that their three biggest needs are athletic swingman, point guard and a bigman. Add in a project rookie and that's basically what is needed.

And yeah, the silver lining of the Splitter situation is it gives Mahinmi a legitimate shot to step into the rotation next season. We'll see if he can do it or not.

Not I will not play. My decision is made for a long time and I won't change it. Michel Gomez (French NT coach) knows that.Awesome. He needs to rest. Next season, especially if Ginobili ends up playing in the Olympics, the Spurs might need Parker to average ~22 points per game. He needs to rest up this summer so he can play at a high level next year during the regular season.

eric365
06-20-2008, 08:14 AM
Another interresting part :

Quel va être votre programme pour cet été ?
Comme j’ai du temps pour moi, je travaille sur différents projets. Il y a par exemple un documentaire qui sortira au mois d’octobre. C’est un 52 minutes qui retrace le début de ma carrière. On travaille dessus depuis un bout de temps. Vous y verrez des images inédites ainsi que des interviews de Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson, Zidane… Vous verrez, il y aura du très beau monde. J’ai également prévu de travailler mon shoot cet été. Comme j’ai du temps devant moi, je vais en profiter pour bien bosser.

He says that he will work a lot on his shoot this summer

completely deck
06-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Made 3 days ago.
I would not speak about the end of a cycle. I think that the team won't change a lot this summer. It will be the same players at 80%. We only need some rotation players. They are the ones who can allow us to win it all. In any case, it isn't the Spurs way to do a lot of changes. Gregg Popovich likes stability and it has always paid off. When we were eliminated in 2004 and 2006, we have won the title the following year. Don't wait for crazy things in the months to come. Two or three players will come, nothing more.

we need an athletic swingman, a point guard and a bigman. About the bigman, we had to see what Ian Mahinmi can bring to us. The door has opened still a little more for him since Splitter, who was drafted in 2007, has decided to stay in Europe. Spurs were disappointed by his choice, they had high expectations on him for the next year. So, Ian could benefit from that.

Not I will not play. My decision is made for a long time and I won't change it. Michel Gomez (French NT coach) knows that.

I really liked hearing these three answers. It's good to hear the team knows what they need and are going to do something about it. Nothing too drastic (that should hush the Ginobili trade b/s), looking for a swing, PG and big man. It looks like maybe they are sticking with Ian, which leaves the focus on the swing and pg.

Tony rested for next year is great to hear as well. Drive for five in 09! :flag:

GrandeDavid
06-20-2008, 11:34 AM
All it takes is a key Spurs player to say the the just needs a few minor tweaks, believes in roster stability and the team will be fine next season, and suddenly Spurs Fandom become believers again.

rAm
06-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the translation.

I love how Tony has matured both on and off the court.

Southwest Texas Fan
06-20-2008, 02:48 PM

Even though Pop played it off regarding Tiago I think the front office is really upset at him taking the contract. This could be a blessing in disguise for Ian, maybe we will see big things from him.

T Park
06-20-2008, 03:03 PM
If Parker is saying what they need, more than likely, the Spurs know it and thats what they are going after.

ducks
06-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Not I will not play. My decision is made for a long time and I won't change it. Michel Gomez (French NT coach) knows that

GO TP GO

milkyway21
06-20-2008, 08:45 PM
I have to give a :tu to Tony's plan about this summer:

"I'm going to rest, work on the stuff I can get better at, and come back a better player." -- Tony Parker

koopa
06-20-2008, 08:54 PM
that's good that tony isn't playing for the national team

i never got why they do it, it means absolutely nothing, fuck pride and playing for your country....... all it does is make your offseason shorter and puts you at a higher risk of getting hurt.......... they have millions invested in them to play in the nba, they shouldn't be allowed to risk injury

as long as finley and horry are not back next year, i think that would be the best, addition by subtraction..........

milkyway21
06-20-2008, 08:56 PM
About the bigman, we had to see what Ian Mahinmi can bring to us. The door has opened still a little more for him since Splitter, who was drafted in 2007, has decided to stay in Europe. Spurs were disappointed by his choice, they had high expectations on him for the next year. So, Ian could benefit from that.
I kind of expected this but now that someone on the team blurted out about what's the team's plan about Ian, I am really optomistic and glad. Let's give him a chance.

mrspurs
06-20-2008, 11:38 PM
i thought by now since pop lets tony has his way.......he woulda said...pop and his staffs bonehead moves lost this yrs championship..but i guess he is still scared of pop..i know i would said it(pop made some bad decisions this yr that really hurt us in the end)...what pops gonna do?...let jaque or mighty mouse start....hahahaha..and about ian...i would be suprised if he could play nba ball for us ....he just aint ready....and imo will hurt us more then anything else...i hope i wrong...go spurs go

Brutalis
06-21-2008, 12:49 AM
TP is smart. He understands the Olympics mean shit. He has his priorities straight. Better send a memo to Manu.

T Park
06-21-2008, 12:52 AM
i thought by now since pop lets tony has his way.......he woulda said...pop and his staffs bonehead moves lost this yrs championship..but i guess he is still scared of pop..i know i would said it(pop made some bad decisions this yr that really hurt us in the end)...what pops gonna do?...let jaque or mighty mouse start....hahahaha..and about ian...i would be suprised if he could play nba ball for us ....he just aint ready....and imo will hurt us more then anything else...i hope i wrong...go spurs go

Boy you are one dumb mfer.

You'd say your coach is an idiot?

Ian Mahinmi is gonna hurt the team.

How is that genius?

Can't wait to see the well thought out answers...

Marcus Bryant
06-21-2008, 01:10 AM
Mahinmi will play in the NBA for a while. I don't believe he will flame out and end up out of the league in a year or two. His talent is that good and he seems to have the right mental makeup for playing for Pop unlike a certain Slovenian point guard who shall remain nameless. The question with him is does he end up getting by on his athleticism, rebounding, and shotblocking to be a useful role playing big or is he able to develop a polished offensive game including a 15 to 18 foot jumper as well as the ability to put the ball on the floor when he faces up his defender? I think foul trouble will be an issue for him in the NBA, as it is with Stoudemire.

Basically, Mahinmi can be a very nice bigman for running breaks and a nice fit as a weak-side shotblocker who gets his points off put backs, cuts, lobs, and on the break or he can add a solid offensive game to that in the halfcourt. There's a $30 to 40 million difference between the latter and former.

Marcus Bryant
06-21-2008, 01:17 AM
If Splitter was joining the Spurs next season, Mahinmi would be relegated to another D-League season and perhaps could have found himself on the trade block to help the Spurs add a scoring swingman. As has been suggested in the media, the silver lining with the Splitter matter is that the Spurs are now basically forced to accelerate Mahinmi's development. That means he joins the Spurs' active roster next season and sees regular minutes of some sort. I'm not sure how much more he's going to glean with the Toros. In the end, Mahinmi may end up making a crapload more than Splitter in the league, helped in no small part by Splitter opting for more $ today.

Marcus Bryant
06-21-2008, 01:34 AM
And trading Mahinmi now for swingman help could very well be a colossal mistake. I'd rather see the Spurs sign Pietrus and start him at the 2 than deal Mahinmi for a higher pick in the draft to nab a Brandon Rush.

Blackjack
06-21-2008, 01:42 AM
If Splitter was joining the Spurs next season, Mahinmi would be relegated to another D-League season and perhaps could have found himself on the trade block to help the Spurs add a scoring swingman. As has been suggested in the media, the silver lining with the Splitter matter is that the Spurs are now basically forced to accelerate Mahinmi's development. That means he joins the Spurs' active roster next season and sees regular minutes of some sort. I'm not sure how much more he's going to glean with the Toros. In the end, Mahinmi may end up making a crapload more than Splitter in the league, helped in no small part by Splitter opting for more $ today.

Can't help but see the irony.

Tau loses Scola, which in turn gives Splitter his oppertunity to shine. While the Spurs lose Tiago, giving Ian an oppertunity of his own.

Hopefully Ian is able to capitalize on his oppertunity the way Tiago did.

Marcus Bryant
06-21-2008, 01:43 AM
Now that I think about it, Tyson Chandler got $64 million without having any real face up offensive game.

Blackjack
06-21-2008, 01:49 AM
If your an athletic big with a pulse, you're going to make some nice jack. Gadzuric anyone??? :lol

Marcus Bryant
06-21-2008, 01:55 AM
If your an athletic big with a pulse, you're going to make some nice jack. Gadzuric anyone??? :lol

That's the thing. I think a Mahinmi with 23 minutes of NBA action under his belt next season is an above average NBA big. It's not like the Spurs feature the big playing opposite TD in the offense that much anyways.

Maybe I'm way off on Mahinmi's talent and potential but I think he's going to surprise a lot of people next season and beyond. Even if he doesn't develop a face up game, as long as he brings rebounding, shotblocking, and scores off boards and breaks then he'll be a very significant contributor for this Spurs team.

Blackjack
06-21-2008, 02:10 AM
That's the thing. I think a Mahinmi with 23 minutes of NBA action under his belt next season is an above average NBA big. It's not like the Spurs feature the big playing opposite TD in the offense that much anyways.

Maybe I'm way off on Mahinmi's talent and potential but I think he's going to surprise a lot of people next season and beyond. Even if he doesn't develop a face up game, as long as he brings rebounding, shotblocking, and scores off boards and breaks then he'll be a very significant contributor for this Spurs team.

The situation he's coming into is ideal because of all the attention the big 3 attract. That should allow him to utilize his athleticism for weak-side offense/defense, and running the break.

Mahinmi really is a poor-mans version of Amare right now. If he's able to stay on the floor, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to help with his energy and athleticism alone.

Marcus Bryant
06-21-2008, 02:13 AM
The situation he's coming into is ideal because of all the attention the big 3 attract. That should allow him to utilize his athleticism for weak-side offense/defense, and running the break.

Mahinmi really is a poor-mans version of Amare right now. If he's able to stay on the floor, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to help with his energy and athleticism alone.

Exactly. Plus consider how much the Spurs break these days. How about a big who can keep pace with TP running the break?

:toast

Blackjack
06-21-2008, 02:26 AM
Exactly. Plus consider how much the Spurs break these days. How about a big who can keep pace with TP running the break?

:toast

Can you imagine how Spurs fans are going to react when they see Tony/Manu run a pick and roll that ends with an alley-oop, or a big finishing strong above the rim on a dive-cut???

I wouldn't be suprised to see a couple fans literally shit themselves. :lol

Marcus Bryant
06-21-2008, 02:32 AM
Well, bowel movements in the at&t center aside, the Spurs could have a few exciting plays next regular season.

This is the one argument for going after a player like Pietrus in free agency. You can give him plenty of minutes in the regular season in which he justifies his minutes with points off breaks and spot up jumpers. As long as those minutes are enough to keep Manu's minutes down in the regular season then he's done his job.

Tully365
06-21-2008, 02:35 AM

True-- while I think some people have unrealistic hopes for Mahinmi, the important thing to remember is the Spurs don't need (& surely don't expect) him to have a ROY type of season. If he can give 15-18 mpg, 5 ppg, 5 rpg, & 1 bpg, he will be very valuable. It would be amazing if he gave more, but that's all the Spurs really need from him next year.

Marcus Bryant
06-21-2008, 02:57 AM
True-- while I think some people have unrealistic hopes for Mahinmi, the important thing to remember is the Spurs don't need (& surely don't expect) him to have a ROY type of season. If he can give 15-18 mpg, 5 ppg, 5 rpg, & 1 bpg, he will be very valuable. It would be amazing if he gave more, but that's all the Spurs really need from him next year.

I've thought 8,5, & 1 myself in the same minutes, but the key would be the 5 and the 1.

T Park
06-21-2008, 03:37 AM
I think Mahinmi can give it.

I think his shot blocking next to Duncan will be awesome.

Hes an exciting prospect for next season.

Obstructed_View
06-21-2008, 06:47 AM
TP is smart. He understands the Olympics mean shit. He has his priorities straight. Better send a memo to Manu.
Completely different attitudes between the two countries. I seem to recall having read somewhere that Manu is the most famous person in Argentina. I'm glad for Parker's priorities as well, but there's a reason there aren't a hundred rabid Parker fans from France on this board, and that certainly makes his decision easier.

Obstructed_View
06-21-2008, 06:49 AM
I think Mahinmi can give it.

I think his shot blocking next to Duncan will be awesome.

Hes an exciting prospect for next season.

I'm with you on this. Hell, I'd have been happy to see him thrown into the mix this season.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-21-2008, 08:04 AM
Completely different attitudes between the two countries. I seem to recall having read somewhere that Manu is the most famous person in Argentina. I'm glad for Parker's priorities as well, but there's a reason there aren't a hundred rabid Parker fans from France on this board, and that certainly makes his decision easier.

Yeah, French National Team has a completely different situation.

bobbybob0
06-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Well, bowel movements in the at&t center aside, the Spurs could have a few exciting plays next regular season.

This is the one argument for going after a player like Pietrus in free agency. You can give him plenty of minutes in the regular season in which he justifies his minutes with points off breaks and spot up jumpers. As long as those minutes are enough to keep Manu's minutes down in the regular season then he's done his job.

I agree with you, Pietrus could be a nice fit.

He's got his share of shortcomings but for the right price (below the full MLE) I wouldn't mind him sparing minutes for Manu in the RS.

I think he can't do worse than Finley. He's not as smooth a shooter but his defense is much better than what Finley can bring at this point.

Yeah, French National Team has a completely different situation.

He has a lot less pressure than Manu.

Basketball is like the 5th major sports in France behind football, rugby, tennis... even Tour de France gets more attention than BB.

Magic_Johnson
06-21-2008, 08:16 AM

Tony is like Manu. He wants to play for the french NT. He dosn't play this summer because he knows the french team doesn't need him (like Manu last year). After that, i think he will play every year with the french NT.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-21-2008, 08:23 AM
Tony is like Manu. He wants to play for the french NT. He dosn't play this summer because he knows the french team doesn't need him (like Manu last year). After that, i think he will play every year with the french NT.

Yeah, last year, Tony seemed to enjoy leading the young French squad, even though they're still pretty underdeveloped.
I'm sure he wants to represent his country, just as passionately as Manu does.

stéphane
06-21-2008, 10:25 AM
If French NT would go to the Olympics, Tony would be playing.
The point is, we prefer trying to qualify for euro's championship w/o him and have good relationships with the Spurs than request his presence all the time and raise the anger on texan's side...
Diplomacy...

Obstructed_View
06-21-2008, 12:09 PM
If French NT would go to the Olympics, Tony would be playing.
The point is, we prefer trying to qualify for euro's championship w/o him and have good relationships with the Spurs than request his presence all the time and raise the anger on texan's side...
Diplomacy...

Methinks you forgot about last summer, bro.

stéphane
06-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Methinks you forgot about last summer, bro.

nope I remenber very well but euro championships are totally different from the olympics (meaning last year it was Olympics's qualifyings)... In France, apart from soccer's players, Olympics are every athlete's dream.

Manudona
06-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Not I will not play. My decision is made for a long time and I won't change it. Michel Gomez (French NT coach) knows that

GO TP GO

Make up your mind, you want Tony to go but not Manu? :p:

Obstructed_View
06-21-2008, 02:30 PM
nope I remenber very well but euro championships are totally different from the olympics (meaning last year it was Olympics's qualifyings)... In France, apart from soccer's players, Olympics are every athlete's dream.

Ah. I understand now. It could still be argued that the relationship isn't good. I might not be surprised if Tony's not pleased with the way his injury was treated. That would still reinforce what you are saying that they aren't going to waste trying to get him now when it's not as important as it might be later.

romain.star
06-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Basketball is like the 5th major sports in France behind football, rugby, tennis... even Tour de France gets more attention than BB.

5th?? Let's see:
1st soccer
2nd Rugby
3rd Tennis
4th Formula One
5th Cyclism
6th BB, Handball

I see 3 reasons for this lack of popularity: a shity french league, an underachieving French NT and the time zones between Europe and USA.

SequSpur
06-23-2008, 02:25 PM
It's a shame Tony Parker and Tim Duncan are surrounded by shitty talent. They still have a chance, but the Spurs need to retool the rest of the roster.