PDA

View Full Version : The Boring Spurs & Championships

mytespurs
06-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Thought some of you might enjoy this article (from a Spurs fan no less):toast

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/Spurcse/2008/06/19/The_Spurs_May_Get_the_Last_Laugh_if_not_the_Champi onship

Oh, Gee!!
06-20-2008, 09:39 AM
that article was boring

Mister Sinister
06-20-2008, 10:44 AM
This forum is boring.

jack sommerset
06-20-2008, 10:52 AM
I'm bored

SenorSpur
06-20-2008, 01:23 PM
After the draft and FA, the entire offseason is boring.

mrspurs
06-20-2008, 01:59 PM
i didnt click on the link so i dont have a clue to what anyone is bored about (yawns)..i know without basketball and the nfl........and i have everydang channel dishtv offers.....and its very boring...i have no clue how ppl. watch baseball,golf,soccer,tennis and all the rest of those shows.(if i need a nap i watch those shows) so until the nfl and nba starts........its all boring......it makes for great fishing, no doubt in my mind....go spurs go

mytespurs
06-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Well then I guess I'll bore you all further; here's the blog in its entirety:downspin::downspin::

For years now, the Spurs have been criitzed for not having flashy players who score 50 points every night. They have been critized for the style of play that make their games boring. But they knew supurb defense and great teamwork was what would win them championships.

But because the names on their jerseys were the Spurs not the Lakers or the Celtics, they have been pretty much ignored and called boring. Too bad so many people missed seeing them in the finals, because they thought the games would be boring. Especially, it is too bad so many people missed the Spurs/Pistons finals, arguably the best finals since Jordan retired,. Including thie one just completed.

The Lakers/Celtics series drew a 50% increase in ratings over last year's finals. Of course there are several reasons for that. A sweep is not likely to draw very good ratings. They were two small market teams, so the built in fan base was small. They had little "star" power aside from Lebron. And a preconceived idea that the games would be boring was probably the main reason. People are unlikely to watch something they have been told is going to be boring.

And this season's finals are the most hyped since the '04 series with the Pistons and the "HOF Lakers." The idea of revisiting the "most storied" franchises was appealing. There was "star power" both on and off the court. It was the league's dream matchup, the one they had been waiting for for over 20 years. And when the upset began to loom it drew viewers.

But I saw little difference in the actual content of these finals games from the ones the Spurs played in their finals. Great defense, unselfish team play, great coaching, and a desire to win. At least on the part of the Celtics. That is the way the Spurs won 4 titles in less than a decade.

It is the wave of the future. In this decade, the Spurs have won 4 with defense, the Pistons have won 2 with defense, and the 3 the Lakers won also had great defenee. And now the Celtics have won with great defense.

People are beginning to realize that while the run and gun Suns and Mavs type of ball may be fun, it does not win championships. And let's face it, fans want championships. So get prepared for more "boring" defensive basketball.

The number of head coaches and assistant coaches and front office people next season, who have either played for or coached for the Spurs is staggering. Coaches with defensive credentials are getting hired in droves.

Looks like the Spurs may get the last laugh if not the championship."

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-20-2008, 05:44 PM
I'd click that link if I wasn't so bored.

Oh wait...it's been posted?

Too bored to read it I'm afraid.

m33p0
06-21-2008, 01:30 AM
i was bored so i read it and got even more bored so i posted this boring post.

Brutalis
06-21-2008, 02:26 AM
Fuck the Spurs. Boring, dirty, and cheaters.