PDA

View Full Version : Ohio teacher burned cross on kids' arms

mrsmaalox
06-20-2008, 02:27 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080620/ap_on_re_us/teacher_bible;_ylt=AvR3.AcndvFQIJAsNsKydjas0NUE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ohio teacher burned cross on kids' arms

MOUNT VERNON, Ohio - A public school teacher preached his Christian beliefs despite complaints by other teachers and administrators and used a device to burn the image of a cross on students' arms, according to a report by independent investigators.

Mount Vernon Middle School teacher John Freshwater also taught creationism in his science class and was insubordinate in failing to remove a Bible and other religious materials from his classroom, the report said.

School board members were scheduled to meet Friday afternoon to discuss the findings by consulting firm H.R. On Call Inc., hired by the district to investigate. The report was released Thursday.

School Superintendent Stephen Short wouldn't comment on the report before Friday's meeting, his office said. A message seeking comment was left for Freshwater's attorney, Roger Weaver.

The report comes one week after a family filed a federal lawsuit in Columbus against Freshwater and the school district, saying Freshwater burned a cross on their child's arm that remained for three or four weeks.

Freshwater's friend Dave Daubenmire defended him.
"With the exception of the cross-burning episode ... I believe John Freshwater is teaching the values of the parents in the Mount Vernon school district," he told The Columbus Dispatch in a story published Friday.
Several students interviewed by investigators described Freshwater, who has been employed by the school district for 21 years, as a great guy.

But Lynda Weston, the district's director of teaching and learning, told investigators that she has dealt with complaints about Freshwater for much of her 11-year term at the district, the report said.

A former superintendent, Jeff Maley, said he tried to find another position for Freshwater but couldn't because Freshwater was certified only in science, the report said.

Freshwater used a science tool known as a high-frequency generator to burn images of a cross on students' arms in December, the report said. Freshwater told investigators he simply was trying to demonstrate the device on several students and described the images as an "X," not a cross. But pictures show the images depict a cross, the report said.

Other findings show that Freshwater taught that carbon dating was unreliable to argue against evolution.

Don Quixote
06-20-2008, 02:32 PM
Maybe the teacher was a bit overzealous?

Viva Las Espuelas
06-20-2008, 02:34 PM
i see this thread going quite a few pages.

balli
06-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Really? What's there to say besides, "What a kook!"

I mean I guess people might debate the merits of evolution vs. creationism or something, but they shouldn't. Lets be clear, this is a thread about a public school teacher, ahem, BURNING FUCKING CROSSES INTO KID'S ARMS! There really shouldn't be too much debate about the merits of doing that.

BacktoBasics
06-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Finally a teacher that cares

Oh, Gee!!
06-20-2008, 02:44 PM
a little assault never hurt nobody. crybabies

MaNuMaNiAc
06-20-2008, 02:54 PM
Crazy fucker

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-20-2008, 03:08 PM
Finally a teacher that cares

Amen brother.

Extra Stout
06-20-2008, 03:12 PM
If he could use a high-frequency generator to burn crosses on kids' arms, why couldn't he just burn all the flesh off the heretics and atheists?

America is going soft, I tell you.

Don Quixote
06-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Is putting crosses on the kids supposed to protect them or something? Or save them?

Extra Stout
06-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Is putting crosses on the kids supposed to protect them or something? Or save them?
It's a high-tech form of chrismation.

Oh, Gee!!
06-20-2008, 03:18 PM
it's supposed to mark them as non-targets when this guy decides to shoot up the place

Don Quixote
06-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Hmm. Well that's helpful. God help us all.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Our education system is in such shambles the kids need help remembering the letter "t".

Don Quixote
06-20-2008, 03:20 PM
t is short for "time for you to go!"

T Park
06-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Our education system is in such shambles the kids need help remembering the letter "t".

post of the day

Thunder Dan
06-20-2008, 03:21 PM
we are serious about our religion,our education and football up here

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-20-2008, 03:22 PM
t is short for "time for you to go!"

B2B should get together with this guy. Damn richers.

mrsmaalox
06-20-2008, 03:55 PM

As far as I know it'll only help protect them from vampires.

Don Quixote
06-20-2008, 04:03 PM
We have them here in New Orleans. No, I think you need a real wooden cross to stand a chance against those guys.

But what was this teacher thinking? Did he go off his meds?