PDA

View Full Version : "Red Dawn" Murphy pulling for Russia in the Summer Olympics

Chris Duel
06-20-2008, 03:03 PM
http://www.chrisduel.com/AltRedDawnGIF.gif

Comrade Dawn Murphy has announced on our air that she will be pulling for RUSSIA over the United States in this Summer's Beijing Olympics.

She's choosing this because she believes that Team USA Women's Basketball gave San Antonio SilverStar Becky Hammon the shaft, causing Becky to choose to play for Russia in the Olympics.

Consequently, Dawn has earned the nickname RED DAWN.

I wonder how many people pull against Team USA in any competition?

I couldn't bring myself to do it. Even when Manu plays for Argentina and there's not a Spur on Team USA, I gotta pull for America.

T Park
06-20-2008, 03:04 PM
I won't. While I like Becky Hammon and think shes the hottest thing alive, I can't root for Russia.

GBUSA!!!

johnsmith
06-20-2008, 03:08 PM
http://www.chrisduel.com/AltRedDawnGIF.gif

One of these people doesn't belong, can you gas which one it is?

MoSpur
I will be cheering for the Americans, but I think Becky was dissed bad by the US. Oh well. I have nothing against her. She is looking out for herself.

Opinionater
IMHO, I don't think Becky's ever gotten the shaft.

Mister Sinister
06-20-2008, 03:15 PM
This looks like a job fooooor...COMMIE MAN! Yes, Commie Man! Armed with the Hammer Of Shared Wealth and the Sickle Of...Uhhh...Also Shared Wealth, and his faithful sidekick, Still More Shared Wealth Lad, he does battle against the nefarious Capitalist Man and his trusted sidekick, Beaurocracy Lad! Whooosh! To the Marx Cave! COMMIE MAN....AWAAAAAAAAAY!!!!

Extra Stout
06-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Will Becky come back from her Olympic experience as one of those crazy overzealous Orthodox converts?

Don Quixote
06-20-2008, 03:18 PM
You know from first-hand experience?

T Park
06-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Will Becky come back from her Olympic experience as one of those crazy overzealous Orthodox converts?

Wouldn't surprise me if she came back with an Obama 08 shirt though :lol

Don Quixote
06-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Um ... TPark. The Soviet Union is gone. Since 91.

Maybe if that gubmint still existed, she'd come back wearing an Obama shirt.

Extra Stout
06-20-2008, 03:29 PM
You know from first-hand experience?
Oh good golly yes.

T Park
06-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Um ... TPark. The Soviet Union is gone. Since 91.

Maybe if that gubmint still existed, she'd come back wearing an Obama shirt.

It was a joke.

Following along with the thread?

They should be a great example to any country of the successes of capitalism.

Extra Stout
06-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if she came back with an Obama 08 shirt though :lol
You think Russia like Obama? Is outrage!

T Park
06-20-2008, 03:31 PM
You think Russia like Obama? Is outrage!

Yeah they probably would be offended by that :lol

Extra Stout
06-20-2008, 03:31 PM
It was a joke.

Seeing as their flag is not even red neither?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f3/Flag_of_Russia.svg/125px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
You will notice the horizontal bands of white, blue, and... what is that, green?

T Park
06-20-2008, 03:32 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f3/Flag_of_Russia.svg/125px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
You will notice the horizontal bands of white, blue, and... what is that, green?

You will notice the edit in post as well?

Premmature quotization.

Extra Stout
06-20-2008, 03:32 PM
It was a joke.

They should be a great example to any country of the successes of strong-armed autocracy.
FIFY.

Don Quixote
06-20-2008, 03:34 PM

Francis Schaeffer's son Frank converted to Eastern Orthodoxy. I don't know of many other evangelicals who went. Most of the converts go the other way.

Extra Stout
06-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Francis Schaeffer's son Frank converted to Eastern Orthodoxy. I don't know of many other evangelicals who went. Most of the converts go the other way.
I know the SBC has a lovely booklet they give to their missionaries in Russia to convert nominal Orthodox over there. I read it and laughed about how far off it was from anything resembling Orthodox theology. The distortion regarding the Fall was spectacular.

Don Quixote
06-20-2008, 03:53 PM
I've never seen it.

So did the SBC misrepresent Orthodoxy? If so, I would of course be all for changing the booklet to better represent it.

S_A_Longhorn
06-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Commie bastard!

More pics of Becky plz...

T Park
Commie bastard!

More pics of Becky plz...

:lol

exactly.

Don Quixote
I personally would be okay if nominal Orthodox people would "convert" to their own faith, that of Orthodoxy. It's perfectly orthodox (little o) and I would have no problem welcoming them as my brothers and sisters, despite disagreements over minor things. Does Eastern Orthodoxy have much of an evangelical push these days, as we have seen in some other denoms (e.g., Roman Catholicism, Lutheranism)?

AlamoSpursFan
06-20-2008, 05:12 PM
Commie bastard!

More pics of Dawn plz...

Fixed...

Extra Stout
06-20-2008, 06:05 PM
I've never seen it.

So did the SBC misrepresent Orthodoxy? If so, I would of course be all for changing the booklet to better represent it.
It would take me 20 pages to go through all the distortions.

remingtonbo2001
06-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Angel_Luv is pulling for Slovenia and Argentina.

What does that make her?

Extra Stout
06-20-2008, 06:15 PM
I personally would be okay if nominal Orthodox people would "convert" to their own faith, that of Orthodoxy. It's perfectly orthodox (little o) and I would have no problem welcoming them as my brothers and sisters, despite disagreements over minor things. Does Eastern Orthodoxy have much of an evangelical push these days, as we have seen in some other denoms (e.g., Roman Catholicism, Lutheranism)?
Try expressing that opinion to somebody associated with the IMB and see what happens to you.

As far as my dealings with the Orthodox, my Greek friend is more evangelical than I am, though a greater number of Greeks are beset by religious nationalism. The Russian (OCA) and Arab (Antiochian Archdiocese) churches here are the most likely to view North America as a mission field, as well as being overtly "pan-Orthodox," that is, accommodating all the various traditional ethnicities, and being very convert-oriented. The vast majority of the clergy in those latter two are converts, frequently those who have left the Episcopal ex-church on account of its apostasy.

Extra Stout
06-20-2008, 06:15 PM

What does that make her?
Friend of Catholics?

KEDA
06-20-2008, 06:43 PM
I too am rooting for Russia for the womens bball team as well as the Argentinain national team.

My opinion, deal with it.

E20
06-20-2008, 07:07 PM
WTF cares. No one watches womens basketball.

T Park
06-20-2008, 07:08 PM

What does that make her?

I'd say theres a bit of a difference.

Kori Ellis
06-20-2008, 07:17 PM
I'd say theres a bit of a difference.

Why?

Personally, I can understand rooting for a foreign player to do well, but I can't imagine actually rooting against the American team.

T Park
06-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Why?

Personally, I can understand rooting for a foreign player to do well, but I can't imagine actually rooting against the American team.

Angel rooting for Argentina is a little different than Becky Hammon playing for Russia I would say.

I have no problem with either one though.

Don Quixote
06-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Try expressing that opinion to somebody associated with the IMB and see what happens to you.

As far as my dealings with the Orthodox, my Greek friend is more evangelical than I am, though a greater number of Greeks are beset by religious nationalism. The Russian (OCA) and Arab (Antiochian Archdiocese) churches here are the most likely to view North America as a mission field, as well as being overtly "pan-Orthodox," that is, accommodating all the various traditional ethnicities, and being very convert-oriented. The vast majority of the clergy in those latter two are converts, frequently those who have left the Episcopal ex-church on account of its apostasy.

I happen to know people associated with the IMB, and I would say that the majority would at least be sympathetic to my view. Their chief concern, of course, ought to be introducing unbelievers, Moslems, and nominal (most unbelieving) Orthodox to Christ. If this makes them evangelicals, or Baptists, then great! If they decide to become true adherents to Eastern Orthodoxy, then good, I wish them all the best. You'll be pleased to know that the majority of my associations feel the same way.

On the other hand, I have heard about some of the Orthodox churches using thuggist tactics, threats, intimidation to keep evangelical believers from leaving the Orthodox church. Have you heard anything about this?

Kori Ellis
06-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Angel rooting for Argentina is a little different than Becky Hammon playing for Russia I would say.

I have no problem with either one though.

Ahh ... I thought you were saying Angel rooting for Argentina over USA is different than Dawn rooting for Russia over USA.

Extra Stout
06-20-2008, 08:38 PM
On the other hand, I have heard about some of the Orthodox churches using thuggist tactics, threats, intimidation to keep evangelical believers from leaving the Orthodox church. Have you heard anything about this?
In Russia? Not surprise. Putin put henchmen in Holy Russian Orthodox Church. Henchmen help control people. Control nominal people easiest because not have Spirit. Tell people what Communist start doing Orthodox Church, Baptist want finish.

Extra Stout
06-20-2008, 08:40 PM
On other hand, can Baptist missionary count Orthodox rededication same as conversion in reports?