PDA

View Full Version : Is Eddie Johnson a racist?

Tully365
06-20-2008, 03:52 PM
"The Celtics are probably the only team in the NBA with not one foreign import on their roster. OK, what does that mean? Well, in this instance, especially judging by how the Celtics just manhandled the Lakers, I would say hunger, pride and toughness."

This is how Eddie Johnson starts his hoopshype.com blog column about why the Celtics won the title this year. There is a spirited debate in the comments section responding to the article. It's a very subtle and shaded thing that Johnson is saying, but I've always thought he had a chip on his shoulder regarding foreign players.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-20-2008, 03:55 PM
I don't see how it makes sense when it isn't a racist remark, unless it is a racist remark.

T Park
06-20-2008, 03:56 PM
I honestly can't see how its racist.

Sorry.

Oh, Gee!!
06-20-2008, 03:58 PM
xenophobic maybe? but probably not.

ChumpDumper
06-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Racist? Unknown.

Xenophobic? Probably.

Utterly stupid considering the Spurs' past three championships?

Definitely.

SenorSpur
06-20-2008, 04:21 PM
It may be blatant "homerism", but is aint a racist remark.

Pero
06-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Must be why American players dominated all those recent WC's and Olympics games against foreign teams, because they have tougher players. Oh wait...

BigVee
06-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Not a racist, just a homer asshole.

Extra Stout
06-20-2008, 06:28 PM
"The Celtics are probably the only team in the NBA with not one foreign import on their roster. OK, what does that mean? Well, in this instance, especially judging by how the Celtics just manhandled the Lakers, I would say hunger, pride and toughness."

What the hell does Eddie Johnson know about winning championships?

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2008, 06:31 PM
I guess he's not a fan of the Canucks.

FlAVaK
06-20-2008, 07:00 PM
The thread-starting quote was totally out of context!
Here are some more out of his blog and the following discussion:

I played in Greece and I had no idea how important it was to beat Turkey until I lost a game and had rocks thrown at my house. I fought the passion and hatred for other teams we competed against until I started to realize that this was their history. This is the problem facing the foreign players. I bet Gasol, Radmanovic and Vujacic had no idea of the history of Celtics-Lakers. They do now, but it’s too late...

the difference between Duncan and Hakeem is that they played college ball in the USA.
Guys understand i am not bashing foreign players. i gave you the analogy of what i went through in Greece as a player that had already played 13 years in the NBA.I did not appreciate and understand what winning against certain teams meant.
what i am saying is that it takes longer for them to figure it out and the hunger does not match American born players.
Tony Parker lived in both countries his dad grew up and played here.
Manu is the poster boy for figuring it out quickly

you are trying to make this into a foreign issue. that was not my point—read the article. i said they don’t understand the importance of the trophy to the magnitude of a Boston team that has 15 home grown products.
that is why Boston had an advantage. i have no hard feelings towards foreign players. –read the analogy i made of myself in the article.

FlAVaK
06-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Actually, he is making some valid points, and comes to the right conclusion:

Los Angeles Lakers:
- They will be challenged mainly by San Antonio, New Oleans and Phoenix.
- They will not get back to the Finals because I think the West is too competitive and dominance will not happen.

ShoogarBear
06-20-2008, 07:43 PM
His followup comments did a much better job of explaining what he meant than the initial one did.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Glad he made himself more explicit.

Personally, I don't think it's xenophobic to assess competitive conditions and infer upon them. But Eddie Johnson makes a poor argument. And conveniently glosses over Manu and Parker examples which do nothing to support his "college bball" angle. But whatever, it's his opinion.
Celtics didn't win by being homegrown Americans. They were just fucking stacked.

I also think the Lakers don't have the swagger of the Shaq-Kobe Lakers. They're pretty soft, and will continue to be soft with that core. :lol
Bynum seems like he'll be another David West too.

urunobili
06-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Racist? Unknown.

Xenophobic? Probably.

Definitely.

+1

Dunc n Dave
06-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Glad he made himself more explicit.

Personally, I don't think it's xenophobic to assess competitive conditions and infer upon them. But Eddie Johnson makes a poor argument. And conveniently glosses over Manu and Parker examples which do nothing to support his "college bball" angle. But whatever, it's his opinion.
Celtics didn't win by being homegrown Americans. They were just fucking stacked.

I also think the Lakers don't have the swagger of the Shaq-Kobe Lakers. They're pretty soft, and will continue to be soft with that core. :lol
Bynum seems like he'll be another David West too.

Bynum is nothing like David West. West is a face up post player who scores from 10-18 feet. Bynum is a classic back-to-basket post player with no mid-range game. Bynum is a much better shot blocker than West, but West has a higher basketball IQ. The Lakers will improve with Bynum because he brings toughness in the post, unlike that p*ssy Gasol who throws up weak hooks and fade aways.

Udokafan05
06-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Only proves danny ainge cant spot international talent, and had to put a team together of players who cant win on their own.

pjjrfan
06-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Racist? Unknown.

Xenophobic? Probably.

Definitely.
Yeah it is a pretty stupid remark.

pjjrfan
06-20-2008, 10:28 PM
After following the NBA since the mid 60's I can honestly say that I have seen very few players play with the hunger and drive that Manu Ginobili brings to the court every game. And really the entire Argentine team in the 04 olympics played with an energy and confidence seldom seen in foreign teams. I disagree with Johnson, I think too many US athletes don't have that hunger anymore, most of them are pampered and when they get to the NBA the talent is there but the drive is sorely lacking.

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Three underachieving veteran American stars come together for one title run and suddenly all is well with US basketball.

mrspurs
06-20-2008, 11:22 PM
i remember eddie's comments during the allstar game....he said...the nba is our sport and no other country players should be allowed to play......is that racist? imo....very much so...anytime a man has the right to say russians,argentians,mexicans etc shouldnt be allowed to play a sport that is open to world to play....its called racist...its no different than owning a company of any race and saying, no other race should be hired(no matter how talented)...hello its that simple....if you ask me eddie johnson is just a player who sucked no matter what race he is......because there are so many players from other countries that are 3 times better then he would ever be its also called stupid....and thats what eddie is...stupid...he has an allstar canadian point guard on his team(nash),french(diaw) barbosa(brazil)....and this fool has the nerve on national tv to say....this is our sport and noone else should be allowed to join......that my friends is just plain.....stupid...but everyman has a right to say what he wants...even if only a handful of humans agree....imo i woulda fired him first for being a mentor with no brains, the guy, and ive seen him play for many yrs for the suns... is really no different then horry....a overrated player who cares only about himself....and there is noway that can be argued....horry places whereever winning the next championship odds are better(he just said it in the mysa article).....i bet he plays for NO next season, or maybe even the lakers....cos he surly isnt needed around here anymore...heck send him to the suns so he can help eddie be a mentor for nba players born in the usa only......either way neither one of them can play todays nba game....bunch of has been overrated shining the pine players who have suckered teams and coaches for the exception of houston....i mean look how many rings horry has,(and he is no allstar, not even close) all from teams other then houston he chose togo to......if that isnt someone who only thinks of himself......then explain it to me.......cos i dont get it....horry just like the staff who thought keeping him might help the spurs this season along with the fans, got suckered....and thats the way it goes...and its proven, not a guess....go spurs go

Tully365
06-21-2008, 12:41 AM
From the Sports Business Daily 1/29/2008:

The league is unbelievably successful and I think Stern's personal challenge is dealing with governments and places where he may feel some personal uncomfortability, such as China, such as the Soviet Union. Yes, they are business opportunities, but as a guy who reads the New York Times page one everyday, this is a guy who is concerned with the kind of things that goes on there." However, Suns broadcaster and former NBAer Eddie Johnson said the influx of foreign-born players is "taking jobs away from American ballplayers." Johnson: "I have no problem with putting a restriction (on foreign players) because this is our game" ("Outside The Lines," ESPN, 1/27/2008)

m33p0
06-21-2008, 01:02 AM
The Celtics are probably the only team in the NBA with not one foreign import on their roster.
doesn't mean anything in terms of winning championships vis-a-vis i don't have any idea why he brought that up.

Tully365
06-21-2008, 01:06 AM
I should have added in the beginning that Johnson's strange attitude about foreign players is something I've noticed numerous times for close to a year now, mostly due to occasionally reading his hoopshype blog (which is the worst homer blog of all time). He definitely has a chip on his shoulder concerning this issue.

Tully365
06-21-2008, 01:12 AM
doesn't mean anything in terms of winning championships vis-a-vis i don't have any idea why he brought that up.

Exactly-- it's such a non-sequitur, and that's what caught my attention. It's like starting a yearly business report by saying: " Happily, our large company, which has no minorities in upper management, has experienced record profits this year..."

m33p0
06-21-2008, 01:21 AM
Exactly-- it's such a non-sequitur, and that's what caught my attention. It's like starting a yearly business report by saying: " Happily, our large company, which has no minorities in upper management, has experienced record profits this year..."
ah, you mean other than pointing out that they have no foreigners on their team... a sublte slight maybe.

Obstructed_View
06-21-2008, 06:22 AM
Eddie Johnson knows that if international players were as common in the NBA as when he played that he'd probably have been unable to get a job in the league. He's shown for a while that he can't control his biases and that he's not terribly bright. As a black man he's also permitted to get away with mistakes that anyone else would probably lose their job for.

Harry Callahan
06-21-2008, 07:26 AM
Three underachieving veteran American stars come together for one title run and suddenly all is well with US basketball.

In all honesty, I think Allen and Garnett have played their best basketball already. Allen especially looks like he has lost a little bit from his Seattle heyday.

And let's get this straight right now. Kevin Garnett has no business being mentioned in the same breath as Tim Duncan. Period.

Paul Pierce is an excellent player, and deserved the credit he is getting right now.

Boston has a great shot again next year in the East, but their window is smaller than the Spurs I think (as weird as that sounds since the media mentions the average age of all players and not key players). All of their star guys in Boston are over 30 and Allen more than the others has declined.

Garnett is to willing to defer when it is crunch time. The Lakers were so bad in this series Boston was not really challenged that much or often overall.

Harry Callahan
06-21-2008, 07:32 AM
Eddie Johnson is closely tied to Phoenix,

"Phoenix, where ignorance happens."

ShoogarBear
06-21-2008, 07:47 AM
As a black man he's also permitted to get away with mistakes that anyone else would probably lose their job for.

:rolleyes

Yeah, this country is pretty much set up that way.

Talk about not being able to control your biases.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-21-2008, 07:59 AM
Bynum is nothing like David West. West is a face up post player who scores from 10-18 feet. Bynum is a classic back-to-basket post player with no mid-range game. Bynum is a much better shot blocker than West, but West has a higher basketball IQ. The Lakers will improve with Bynum because he brings toughness in the post, unlike that p*ssy Gasol who throws up weak hooks and fade aways.

I meant mentally. i.e. he can be easy to get under his skin and cost the team momentum with technical fouls, like David West. West was pretty stupid for New Orleans in the decisive last games.

Obstructed_View
06-21-2008, 12:05 PM
:rolleyes

Yeah, this country is pretty much set up that way.

Talk about not being able to control your biases.

I'm sorry, are you suggesting that I'm incorrect? Since we're about to elect a guy president who gets away with saying just about whatever he wants because he's got a black face I'd say the evidence is on my side.

ShoogarBear
06-21-2008, 01:01 PM
I'm sorry, are you suggesting that I'm incorrect? Since we're about to elect a guy president who gets away with saying just about whatever he wants because he's got a black face I'd say the evidence is on my side.

The only evident thing is that whatever stupid things Eddie Johnson may be saying, you are providing more than a counterbalance.

Obstructed_View
06-21-2008, 02:27 PM
The only evident thing is that whatever stupid things Eddie Johnson may be saying, you are providing more than a counterbalance.

Yeah, I knew you didn't actually have any bullets in that gun. We all know black people can't be racist anyway.

ShoogarBear
06-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I knew you didn't actually have any bullets in that gun.

You're the one spouting non-sequitur rantings and not backing them up, and thus making my point for me.

We all know black people can't be racist anyway.Yeah, hey, toss that old one out there, too. Doesn't matter that nowhere in this thread did anyone say anything remotely like that. Glad you're taking this opportunity to get your festering issues out in the open, though. :tu Can't wait for the next boil you pop.

FromWayDowntown
06-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Eddie Johnson knows that if international players were as common in the NBA as when he played that he'd probably have been unable to get a job in the league. He's shown for a while that he can't control his biases and that he's not terribly bright. As a black man he's also permitted to get away with mistakes that anyone else would probably lose their job for.

I'm just going to guess here, but I'm thinking a guy who averaged 16 ppg while shooting 47% from the floor over the course of a 17-year NBA career -- one that started when the league only had 23 teams -- is a guy who probably would have gotten and kept a job in the league in just about any era.

As for the notion that a black man is given more leeway in our society than a white man is -- well, I find that sadly absurd.

The Truth #6
06-21-2008, 03:17 PM
I think the Lakers had more a weed problem. Odom, Walton, Sasha, and Vlad Rad played like they were stoned out of their minds.

Mr. Body
06-21-2008, 09:28 PM
How is this racist in any way?

Obstructed_View
06-21-2008, 09:49 PM
You're the one spouting non-sequitur rantings and not backing them up, and thus making my point for me.
Way to use a term someone used ten posts before in the same thread. The difference is that they used it correctly. Give a monkey a typewriter...

Yeah, hey, toss that old one out there, too. Doesn't matter that nowhere in this thread did anyone say anything remotely like that. Glad you're taking this opportunity to get your festering issues out in the open, though. :tu Can't wait for the next boil you pop.
Yeah, whatever. Your PC medal is in the mail. :lol

timvp
06-22-2008, 04:14 AM
Obstructed_View must have a "black face" to think he can get away with making no sense in this thread.

Dunc n Dave
06-22-2008, 12:35 PM
I meant mentally. i.e. he can be easy to get under his skin and cost the team momentum with technical fouls, like David West. West was pretty stupid for New Orleans in the decisive last games.

OK, agreed. Both of them are lacking in the mental toughness area, as Bynum is still very young. Sorry, thought you were comparing their games...

ShoogarBear
06-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Way to use a term someone used ten posts before in the same thread. The difference is that they used it correctly. Give a monkey a typewriter...

Yeah, whatever. Your PC medal is in the mail. :lol

And with that, he slinks away.

Nesterofish
06-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Huray to obstacted view fro stadningf up too teh rase pimps.

DMX7
06-23-2008, 12:03 AM
Eddie Johnson is a scrub and who cares what he says. Besides, this is hardly newsworthy anyway.