PDA

View Full Version : Is that a mirage or is there some local Spurs news?

Ocotillo
06-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Watching KSAT-12 with David Sears tonight and he had a very brief piece about Pop's thoughts on the draft. Pop was shown being interviewed (he has grown a post-season beard).

Gist of the question was were the Spurs going to get younger by using the draft this year.

Pop said to not expect too much out of whoever we draft. At the very best, maybe some sub minutes in the season and hopefully 3 or 4 years down the road.

Not much granted but at least someone spoke with someone in the FO this off-season.

Bruno
06-20-2008, 07:07 PM
The combination of a small market and a FO that likes working secretly is a deadly combo when it comes to get some news about Spurs.

The good news is that the draft is only in 5 days. :hungry:

jman3000
06-20-2008, 07:15 PM
The combination of a small market and a FO that likes working secretly is a deadly combo when it comes to get some news about Spurs.

The good news is that the draft is only in 5 days. :hungry:

fuck... if i was here for another day i'd be able to watch it.

SPURSGOAT
06-20-2008, 08:21 PM
WOOHOO!!! I can't wait til Thursday rolls around... we have the 26th pick and the draft is on the 26th... intersting...

wildbill2u
06-20-2008, 08:24 PM
The bad news is that Pop told it like it is. We are not likely to get anyone in the draft at 26 that will make a big contribution this year--or maybe in any year.

Doc Rivers was on radio today and said basically that fans expect too much from draftees, that most don't work out at all. Also that fans always blindly overrate their own team players in terms of their capabilities.

0201rinckwater
06-20-2008, 08:24 PM
pop should keep the beard year round

E20
06-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Pop always has a beard in the Offseason I think. He sported a beard last summer to Tony's wedding.

Punkkboy44
06-20-2008, 10:24 PM
The draft would be more interesting if the Spurs traded someone and actually tried to get better next year through the draft..please get rid of all the dead weight...

Steve-O-Matic
06-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Pop was merely delivering the company line for any team drafting late in round 1. Meaning, you set the expectations low, knowing that its ultimately a game of blackjack and if you hit 21 (Tony Parker) you look like a genius, and if you bust then its merely par for the course. Doc Rivers has an incentive to pooh-pooh the late first round/early second round range because he knows that his club just "hit" on Glen Davis, who was a legitimate contributor to their championship-winning club as a rookie high-second-rounder (even if Gabe Pruitt wasn't).

taps
06-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Pop's not lying and he's right, that is true for every draftee. There are no guarantees. Still, there is no way KSAT's spindly little investigative arms are lifting the iron curtain.

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2008, 11:07 PM
It's probably the absence of Ludden more than anything but things seem awfully quiet.

mrspurs
06-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Watching KSAT-12 with David Sears tonight and he had a very brief piece about Pop's thoughts on the draft. Pop was shown being interviewed (he has grown a post-season beard).

Gist of the question was were the Spurs going to get younger by using the draft this year.

Pop said to not expect too much out of whoever we draft. At the very best, maybe some sub minutes in the season and hopefully 3 or 4 years down the road.

Not much granted but at least someone spoke with someone in the FO this off-season.

it doesnt take a rocket science to figure out that with the picks we get...none of them will make an impact...we had our chances already at picking scolla and tau...and look who they are playing for....the days of finding guys like manu and parker are done...those guys came when other countrys didnt have enough money to pay...now they are both allstars and imo still dont make much compared to other allstars that aint even as good as them...imo thats holts way of paying...try to find the best hispanics to run his contruction companys and machines...then get rich.....i might be wrong...but i doubt i am....go spurs go

Marcus Bryant
06-20-2008, 11:44 PM
Scola to SA never materialized due to the slave contract he signed as a 12 year old with Tau, as well as Jackie Butler and the Luxury Tax. Last summer was probably the worst possible time for Scola to be available from the Spurs' perspective.

It's not that Holt didn't want to pay $3 mil a season for Scola, it's that he didn't want to pay $7 million for Jackie Butler.

With so much talent hitting the draft these days, be it from American early entries, international early entries, etc...there is a good possibility of picking up a contributor with a low 1st round pick or a mid to high 2nd round pick.

SenorSpur
06-21-2008, 08:17 AM
Pop wouldn't play a rookie too many minutes unless he see's a potential all-star in him like he did with manu and Tony. Just the way it is.

In looking back, Pop seems so prejudiced against rooks that I still can't believe he did that - despite their obvious talents.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-21-2008, 08:21 AM
In looking back, Pop seems so prejudiced against rooks that I still can't believe he did that - despite their obvious talents.

Providence maybe.

I hope we get lucky with another diamond in the rough - rook, hopefully. It's a long shot, but it would kick ass.