PDA

View Full Version : Mario Chalmers or CDR?

Pucho!!!
06-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Just curious to know what yall think...espn's recent mock draft and fellow peers have chosen mario chalmers as the pick the spurs should take at #26 with, usually, CDR right behind him at #27. I find it hard to believe the spurs would choose a backup pg over a scoring swingman. PG's r a dime a dozen. With both still on the board, who would u choose?

NuGGeTs-FaN
06-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Seriously, Chalmers isn't getting past the Nuggets, UNLESS they trade with the Grizzlies and bring back Lowry. The package would not only inlude the swap of picks but also other players, hopefully one of them being Mike Miller :smokin

If they dont bring in another young PG, then they will bring in Chalmers if available.

Pucho!!!
06-21-2008, 09:20 AM
Seriously, Chalmers isn't getting past the Nuggets, UNLESS they trade with the Grizzlies and bring back Lowry. The package would not only inlude the swap of picks but also other players, hopefully one of them being Mike Miller :smokin

If they dont bring in another young PG, then they will bring in Chalmers if available.

yea it makes more sense for yall to go after a pg in the draft than us. Havin mike miller would improve ur offense and chalmers would improve yalls defensive issues at pg

Cant_Be_Faded
06-21-2008, 09:26 AM
there is no way Chalmers will fall to us, spurs fans have become more and more delusional about draft prospects with each passing year we don't pick a viable one.

AFBlue
06-21-2008, 09:26 AM
CDR was an effective scorer in college, but if the Spurs don't think he has the athleticism or strength to have the same or similar effect in the NBA, I can see why they would go with Chalmers.

Understanding that he would have a backup role on this team, Chalmers still provides length, athleticism, defense, and a reliable three-point shot. IMO, there's also a bit of "Rondo" when it comes to Chalmers. By that I mean, he was a highly touted prospect with the total skill package that never really took off in college but may put it all together for his NBA team.

If the Spurs got either, it'd be a success.

urunobili
06-21-2008, 10:08 AM
CDR was an effective scorer in college, but if the Spurs don't think he has the athleticism or strength to have the same or similar effect in the NBA, I can see why they would go with Chalmers.

Understanding that he would have a backup role on this team, Chalmers still provides length, athleticism, defense, and a reliable three-point shot. IMO, there's also a bit of "Rondo" when it comes to Chalmers. By that I mean, he was a highly touted prospect with the total skill package that never really took off in college but may put it all together for his NBA team.

If the Spurs got either, it'd be a success.

:tu

SPURSGOAT
06-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Chalmers stock has shot up since the Chad Ford mock; I do not see him falling to us; probably be taken in the teens now. CDR stock has fallen some so he could fall to us.

Steve-O-Matic
06-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Just curious to know what yall think...espn's recent mock draft and fellow peers have chosen mario chalmers as the pick the spurs should take at #26 with, usually, CDR right behind him at #27. I find it hard to believe the spurs would choose a backup pg over a scoring swingman. PG's r a dime a dozen. With both still on the board, who would u choose?

If PG's are a dime a dozen then how come we're STILL searching for a quality backup to Tony Parker FIVE YEARS after Speedy Claxton left? Chalmers is one of the most underrated players in this draft, and he is the IDEAL fit for what the Spurs need and for the system that we run. If he were to somehow be available at 26, the Spurs would be insane to pass on him, Chris Douglas-Roberts be damned.

urunobili
06-21-2008, 04:17 PM
I'd take CDR for the sake of not creating a new Spur Killer somewhere (Hornets specially)... plus i think we have a shot a Jarret Jack

Spurtacus
06-21-2008, 04:21 PM
I'd rather have CDR. There has to be an effective backup PG we can sign in the offseason.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-21-2008, 04:22 PM
I'd rather have Mario, but it'll be easier to get CDR.

TheProfessor
06-21-2008, 04:30 PM
I see Chalmers adjusting more easily to his intended role on this team. But I wonder if CDR might not be the kind of resourceful, unconventional, and competitve player that could successfully spell Manu during the regular season. A couple of weeks ago, Chalmers was the easy choice, but with him shooting up the board, the Spurs might have to roll the dice.

T Park
06-21-2008, 04:31 PM
If the Spurs are gonna go after a JR Smith in free agency, I would vote for Mario Chalmers.

SenorSpur
06-21-2008, 05:22 PM

Funny you should bring this up. An article on RealGM indicates the two teams are at least discussing the possibility of such a draft night scenario.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53101/20080620/denver/memphis_discussing_draft_night_swap/

Bruno
06-21-2008, 05:41 PM
I don't like the idea of using the first round pick on a small PG who will struggle at SG in most matchups.
Parker is young and can play 38mpg during the playoffs. What is the interest to spend a first round pick on a player who can only play 10mpg at his natural position ?
If a quality SG/SF is still available at #26, drafting a PG would be a waste.

K-State Spur
06-21-2008, 06:41 PM
I don't like the idea of using the first round pick on a small PG who will struggle at SG in most matchups.

I don't know about MOST match-ups. There are certainly SOME match-ups where he would really struggle. But despite his height, he's actually long enough to guard players up to 6'5.

Steve-O-Matic
06-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Chalmers measured 6-0 3/4 without shoes, which is taller than Tony Parker and Chris Paul. He also has much longer than average arms for a player his height. He is by no means a "small" PG.

SenorSpur
06-21-2008, 06:53 PM
If I had my druthers, I'd prefer to see them take CDR, if he's there. However, I wouldn't be disappointed with either.

DMX7
06-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Chalmers is the guy. I don't know if he'll be there but ya gotta think if the Spurs want him then they'll be crafty enough to package something together to move up a couple picks.

bigdog
06-21-2008, 08:50 PM
I'd rather have Chalmers. As much as we need a wing player, I don't CDR would fit very well here.

exstatic
06-21-2008, 09:40 PM
:lmao Just looked at Chalmers nbadraft.net profile. His lowest attribute is strength (6), which is NBD. You put his ass in the weight room. The funny part is his next lowest attributes. In a four way tie at (7): intangibles, passing, ball handling, and leadership. This guy is YEARS away, and would not see the floor in the Popovich system, not even as a backup.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-21-2008, 09:49 PM
exstatic are you being tongue in cheek?

Mario Chalmers is exactly the type of point guard Pop should want to have. He can be tenacious on defense and is a good leader by example type player. And he is not years away, if we gave him three-fourths the playing time we gave that abortion of a point guard Beno Udrih in his rookie season he'd pan out very well by the end of the season. AND he would go uninjured.

However

We all know Pop is looking for a non-chucking, old, smart point guard, so that he can try to mold him into a chucking, fast paced, irrational point guard, so yeah, Pop would never pick Chalmers, even if the impossible DID happen, and he fell to 26.

Mr. Body
06-21-2008, 10:09 PM
:lmao Just looked at Chalmers nbadraft.net profile. His lowest attribute is strength (6), which is NBD. You put his ass in the weight room. The funny part is his next lowest attributes. In a four way tie at (7): intangibles, passing, ball handling, and leadership. This guy is YEARS away, and would not see the floor in the Popovich system, not even as a backup.

nbadraft.net's player profile ratings is precisely the way to go when evaluating a pro prospect.

exstatic
06-21-2008, 10:24 PM
nbadraft.net's player profile ratings is precisely the way to go when evaluating a pro prospect.

Right. I should be watching YouTube instead.

oligarchy
06-21-2008, 11:31 PM
Right. I should be watching YouTube instead.

PGs: http://www.hoopsanalyst.com/0708ew14.htm
SGs: http://www.hoopsanalyst.com/0708ew15.htm
Combos: http://www.hoopsanalyst.com/0708ew16.htm
SFs: http://www.hoopsanalyst.com/0708ew17.htm

A different look at the players.

angelbelow
06-21-2008, 11:50 PM
we are so weak at both positions, i like chalmers over CDR though.

Pucho!!!
06-22-2008, 12:07 AM
Does no one think CDR's game alittle resembles that of Manu's?

SenorSpur
06-22-2008, 07:57 PM

If you read some of the early scouting reports on him, it sounds like he may have some semblance of Manu in his game. Consider the following descriptions, which have been bandied about regarding his game:

Highly unorthodox style of play
Has a nose to get to the rim
Difficult player to contain
Excellent off the dribble creating shots for himself and others
Wants to take the big shot
SHows solid toughness to play through pain when injured

tp2021
06-22-2008, 08:06 PM
If you read some of the early scouting reports on him, it sounds like he may have some semblance of Manu in his game. Consider the following descriptions, which have been bandied about regarding his game:

Has a nose

you coulda stopped right there.

Tully365
06-22-2008, 10:09 PM

Highly unorthodox style of play
Has a nose to get to the rim
Difficult player to contain
Excellent off the dribble creating shots for himself and others
Wants to take the big shot
SHows solid toughness to play through pain when injured

I really like that strange half-jumpshot, half-hook shot thing he does sometimes-- it's kind of a cross between a T Parker floater and a Manu drive. Definitely unorthodox, but hey, it has worked for him so far. I read an article the other day where CDR claimed that he has never lost a game of one on one. In his entire life! He said Derrick Rose has come close, but has never beaten him. sounds impossible, but he must have some confidence to even make that claim.

At this point, honestly , I would be happy with any of the players who've been mentioned as targets: CDR, Chalmers, C Lee... I guess I'm leaning
towards CDR and Lee because I think the Spurs can get Darius Washington or someone similar who could give 5 mpg. Give Barry 3-5 mpg at the point, Vaughn 3-5 mpg, and even Manu 3 mpg at the point, and that's all the rest tony needs. But Chalmers would be great too-- I think he's similar to Kyle Lowry, who is another guy I would love for the Spurs to get a hold of....

DMX7
06-23-2008, 12:00 AM
Yeah, I agree. CDR does have a lot of Manu's game in him. He's a guy that gambles on defense for steals, makes difficult unorthodox shots, and has great competitiveness. His quickness is good but he obviously will need time to develop to become 3/4ths the player Manu is.

Russ
06-23-2008, 10:47 PM
At the end of ESPN's draft special, each commentator was asked to make a prediction. This was Jalen Rose's:

"Chris Douglas-Roberts is gonna have a big time rookie season. He slid in the draft true enough possibly. This is a first team All-American that played with Derrick Rose. He was the leader of the team. Watch CDR next year."

Blackjack
06-23-2008, 11:04 PM
At the end of ESPN's draft special, each commentator was asked to make a prediction. This was Jalen Rose's:

"Chris Douglas-Roberts is gonna have a big time rookie season. He slid in the draft true enough possibly. This is a first team All-American that played with Derrick Rose. He was the leader of the team. Watch CDR next year."

Maybe he turns out to be right, but it should be known that Rose also has a personal relationship with CDR.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Take CDR AND sign Smith this summer.

Time to cover the bases at the wing.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-23-2008, 11:15 PM
Maybe he turns out to be right, but it should be known that Rose also has a personal relationship with CDR.

If the Spurs pass on CDR (should he be available), about midway through next season Spurs fans are going to be looking back on that the way we were looking back on the Scola trade about February.

Blackjack
06-23-2008, 11:24 PM
If the Spurs pass on CDR (should he be available), about midway through next season Spurs fans are going to be looking back on that the way we were looking back on the Scola trade about February.

I'm not against CDR, (Although, I'd prefer Chalmers if he's there) I was just letting it be known that Rose is... Let's just say, less than objective.

wildbill2u
06-24-2008, 09:56 AM
This thread presupposes that both would be available at our pick, a very unlikely scenario, but playing along with the fantasy:

Which one has the highest upside? That's who we should take if there is a decision between the two. We need to roll the dice and take a risk once in awhile and neither of these players seem like a completely bad risk. Seven or eleven is a winner.

Marcus Bryant
06-24-2008, 10:04 AM
If both were available at #26, the Spurs would take Chalmers.

AA2120
06-24-2008, 10:27 AM
isnt lindsey hunter a FA?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-24-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm not against CDR, (Although, I'd prefer Chalmers if he's there) I was just letting it be known that Rose is... Let's just say, less than objective.

I don't really care what Rose had to say about it. I watch a ton of college hoops. Everyone had a hard on for Derrick on that Memphis squad, but it was CDR that made them go.

He bailed them out of several regular season games that were close going down the stretch (or were close with say 4-5 minutes left) that he just took over the game and closed it out.

Kid can ball. We could plug him in at starting 2guard and get 15 a night out of him without even really running plays for him or him breaking a sweat.

T Park
06-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Yeah I've been all for CDR since the end of May beginning of June.

Chalmers wouldn't be bad, but the huge need is SG.

Shoot, theres backup points you could sign.

If the Hornets draft Chalmers, then they lose the need for Jannero Pargo :eyebrows

EJK5032
06-24-2008, 01:14 PM
CDR all the way........can have a bigger immediate impact right away with his scoring.......the guy is a flat out baller.

Chalmers would play, but for the most part would be buried on the bench behind Parker.

DPG21920
06-24-2008, 01:16 PM
I like CDR, mostly because of a gut feeling that weird style players (a la gino and such) have good careers. CDR is so unorthodox that he could have a very solid career.

kevm2
06-24-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm just expecting us to pick a Euro who isn't coming over. That way, I won't be disappointed, and if we DO pick something decent, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

T Park
06-24-2008, 02:08 PM
As perfect as CDR would be, unfortunately I keep hearing the "experts" project him as in the mid first round. Unfortunately it looks like it will be Mario Chalmers or a euro.

SenorSpur
06-24-2008, 03:39 PM
An interesting "what if" scenario. What if these three prospects are available at 26?

CDR
Chalmers
Batum

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2008, 03:46 PM
A what if scenario. What if these three prospects are available at 26?

CDR
Chalmers
Batum

I'd go with Batum.

50 cent
06-24-2008, 03:54 PM
I keep hearing Chalmers will go earlier.

I would be happy with CDR.

50 cent
06-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Batum has really dropped in the mock drafts because of worries of a possible heart condition.

It might be worth taking a shot on him.

K-State Spur
06-24-2008, 04:17 PM

It'd be a poor man's Manu, but I can see it.

He lacks the explosiveness, but there are certainly some similarities.

K-State Spur
06-24-2008, 04:18 PM
An interesting "what if" scenario. What if these three prospects are available at 26?

CDR
Chalmers
Batum

I'd take them exactly in that order.

T Park
06-24-2008, 04:29 PM
CDR >>>>>> Batum

Not even close.

SequSpur
06-24-2008, 04:32 PM
CDR is fricking bad ass. When Derrick Rose went in the tank last year.. CDR won games all by himself. This is a no brainer... I would buy his jersey if he were a Spur. Shit.

T Park
06-24-2008, 04:33 PM
CDR is fricking bad ass. When Derrick Rose went in the tank last year.. CDR won games all by himself. This is a no brainer... I would buy his jersey if he were a Spur. Shit.

Quit rehashing.

SequSpur
06-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Quit rehashing.

Blow me... I don't read this forum...I just type shit. Rehash this beyotch.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2008, 04:34 PM
CDR >>>>>> Batum

Not even close.

Then why is Batum listed above CDR in just about every mock so far?

CaptainLate
06-24-2008, 06:03 PM
If PG's are a dime a dozen then how come we're STILL searching for a quality backup to Tony Parker FIVE YEARS after Speedy Claxton left?

B/c Pop and the FO screwed up with Beno. Well, here's one fan glad to see him doing well with the Kings.

Everyone saw the potential his rookie year. Then the Detroit playoffs come around. All of a sudden he has problems dealing with the pressure of the Finals in a new country. So you screw with his mind and play an overrated NVE the next yr.

And, then, Scola this year as well. Good job, Pop!! :nope

T Park
06-24-2008, 06:05 PM

Hell if I know.

Thats what I believe though, CDR is gonna be a stud.

T Park
06-24-2008, 06:06 PM
B/c Pop and the FO screwed up with Beno. Well, here's one fan glad to see him doing well with the Kings.

Everyone saw the potential his rookie year. Then the Detroit playoffs come around. All of a sudden he has problems dealing with the pressure of the Finals in a new country. So you screw with his mind and play an overrated NVE the next yr.

And, then, Scola this year as well. Good job, Pop!! :nope

Wrong, every year in SA at the beginning of the year he was GIFTED the backup point duties.

Every year he fucked it up.

As every Beno lover your putting the blame in the wrong place.

romad_20
06-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Beno screwed himself. CDR is who we should go with if availible. We've all seen him play and we know what he can do. He doesn't shrink from pressure and does have junk in his game. If he can grasp the concepts of the system, why the hell not? For some reason though, i don't think he's going to drop as far as the experts are saying. Memphis was a high profile team all year and all the GM's have seen him. I don't think a month of workouts overrules an entire season of in-game evidence

koopa
06-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Hell if I know.

Thats what I believe though, CDR is gonna be a stud.

ok, well batum is the one euro i wouldn't mind

but i'd take CDR over him too

i think the reason batum is ranked higher then CDR is because he's only 19 years old and has what they think is more potential then a dude that is a junior in college

i too think CDR is gonna be a badass, and i hope we get him if he's there, but i wouldn't mind batum, him being with two other Frenchmen would help him ease into a new environment, and maybe help him grow faster

Tully365
06-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Both guys look great, along with Courtney Lee, which is one of the reasons that I feel pretty optimistic about this draft. If the Spurs do in fact have JR Smith in their sights, you could argue that CDR is unnecessary because he'd be a bit buried in the depth chart. The thing is, I don't think Smith, with his wannabe gangsta persona, would personally chose to play for the Spurs over other teams, and I think there will be plenty of other teams willing to throw the MLE at him. So I'm going to work on the assumption that the Spurs don't start the 08-09 season with him, in which case CDR is a great option. His numbers from last season are amazing: his FG% was 54%, and his 3PT% was 41.3%, and he accomplished these percentages as a guy who took lots of shots, not as an opportunistic guy in the shadows (a la Oberto). Chalmers looks great, especially his D, But Parker is the Spurs' youngest starter and star, and so it seems to me that the need at the PG position just isn't as great as it is at the swing positions. CDR is also long enough to play limited minutes alongside Ginobili, which would give us a relatively young and athletic backcourt trio of Parker/Manu/ CDR that could be paired with Duncan & Thomas.

Russ
06-24-2008, 10:14 PM

Does anyone else think Batum looks and plays a bit like a young George Gervin? Seems uncanny. :flag:

CDR should be able to contribute immediately but likely doesn't have the upside of Batum, hence the mock draft ratings.

underdawg
06-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Does anyone else think Batum looks and plays a bit like a young George Gervin? Seems uncanny. :flag:

CDR should be able to contribute immediately but likely doesn't have the upside of Batum, hence the mock draft ratings.

sort of looks like Prince

itzsoweezee
06-24-2008, 10:30 PM
CDR, although i'm betting he won't be available

Tully365
06-24-2008, 10:33 PM

Very True. Batum's future might have higher potential, but the reality is that he is a guy coming off a year where he averaged 8.5 ppg playing for LeMans in France. If Splitter, as a good defender, was a hopeful question mark averaging 14 ppg with Tau (a much better euro-team), what does that say about Batum? I imagine even his biggest fans think of him as being at least 2 years away from playing significant minutes in the NBA. If the Spurs were younger, I'd love the move to get Batum, but my guess is they still hope to win another title or two with Duncan.

Blackjack
06-25-2008, 12:53 AM
I don't really care what Rose had to say about it. I watch a ton of college hoops. Everyone had a hard on for Derrick on that Memphis squad, but it was CDR that made them go.

He bailed them out of several regular season games that were close going down the stretch (or were close with say 4-5 minutes left) that he just took over the game and closed it out.

Kid can ball. We could plug him in at starting 2guard and get 15 a night out of him without even really running plays for him or him breaking a sweat.

First off, I was originally responding to a post by Russ because it sounded like he was drawing conclusions on CDR by what J.Rose had to say. I wasn't saying Rose might not turn out to be right, only that you'd get the same glowing reviews from him as you would from CDR's agent.

I like CDR, and I've watched him plenty of times to know the type of player he is. I'm pretty sure he'll be a solid player in this league, but if you think he's going to step in an avg. 15ppg as are starting 2? I guess will just agree to disagree.

If it's Chalmers or CDR? I'm taking Chalmers and not thinking twice about it. Unlike CDR, Chalmers affects the game on both sides of the floor. Even if his shot is off he still has an impact on the game with his defense, energy, hustle, and playmaking.

I don't know if you remember L.Hunter when he was young, but that's a little how I see Chalmers. Only Chalmers is a better shooter. He'd fit right in with our motion offense, ignite our break with his steals, be able to play alongside Parker occassionally, and keep Tony fresh for the end of games.

The way I see it, rookies that you find late in the first aren't likely to contribute immediately unless they can affect the game in more than one way. CDR's a gamer, but if he isn't scoring... I don't see him having that much of an impact on the game. I have a hard time believeing Pop is going to stick with a rookie 2 guard in the midst of a shooting slump, if he's not getting much else out of him.

So while I like CDR, Chalmers makes more since to me because he'll have a spot in the rotation on day one.

The wing-scorer we'll hopefully be addressed through free-agency/trade, where we can get a more immediate impact. Where we're drafting it's probably a little unrealistic expecting to draft a wing that can really have an impact as soon as next year.

bigdog
06-25-2008, 01:58 AM
I liked CDR in college, but I don't think his game will transfer to the NBA very quickly, which is what we need. I would pick Batum over CDR, because I see Batum as a Prince/Josh Smith type of guy and that would be amazing.

I wanted Chalmers at 26 but I'm starting to think he'll be gone at that point in the draft.