PDA

View Full Version : 30 Teams, 30 Days: San Antonio Draft Preview

Spurs Brazil
06-21-2008, 01:01 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_twoplusthefoul/216/20080621/30_teams_30_days_san_antonio_draft_preview/

30 Teams, 30 Days: San Antonio Draft Preview
Authored by Jason M. Williams - 21st June, 2008 - 12:26 pm

2007-2008 Finish: 56-26
2008 Draft Picks: 26th, 45th, 57th

Pre-Draft 2008-09 Projected Starters:
PG Tony Parker
SG Manu Ginobili
SF Bruce Bowen
PF Tim Duncan
C Fabricio Oberto
Key Reserves:
PG Jacque Vaughn
SF Ime Udoka
SG Brent Barry
PF Matt Bonner

What the Spurs Do Well:

The Spurs have won four championships since 1999. But the one thing they haven’t been able to do is repeat and defend their crown. That was the case this year as they were ousted by the Los Angeles Lakers in the West Finals.

Once again, the team was centered on The Real Big Three. Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili continued to be incredible together and got this team to another 56 wins.

Manu had perhaps his finest season, capturing the ‘suspect’ Sixth Man Award by leading the team in scoring ‘off the bench’ with 19.5 points, 4.8 rebounds, 4.5 assists, and 1.47 steals.

Tim Duncan was the steady force in the middle, leading the team with 11.3 rebounds and 1.95 blocks per game, to go along with his leadership and 19.3 points per game.

Parker was once again the straw that stirs the drink. His speed into the paint gets the Spurs going on a nightly basis, and he had a team high 6.0 assists to go with his 18.8 points.

Greatest Areas of Improvement:

Youth on the Wing
Bruce Bowen and Mike Finley are getting up there, and I don’t mean leaping to the basket. They are both stars of yesteryear and maybe it’s time the Spurs get some young blood at the position before these guys become ineffective.

Depth at Point Guard
With the departure of former backup and now rising star Beno Udrih, the Spurs once again find themselves looking for a steady backup at the point. Will they use their pick this year on a backup floor leader?

Who’s Gone Number 26 Recently?

Over the past five years, the 26th pick has turned out marvelously. Kevin Martin is in the top of the league in scoring, Jason Maxiell is proving to be a vital role player for Detroit, Jordan Farmar was a key reserve for the West Champion Lakers, and Aaron Brooks demonstrated he deserves a crack at the rotation next year.

Aaron Brooks, Houston Rockets

Jordan Farmar, Los Angeles Lakers

Jason Maxiell, Detroit Pistons

Kevin Martin, Sacramento Kings

Ndudi Ebi, Minnesota Timberwolves

Who Should the Spurs Target?

For more in-depth analysis and background regarding the players that the Spurs should target in this year’s Draft, click on each player name to be redirected to Christopher Reina’s Prospect Report piece.

Mario Chalmers of Kansas

With minimal wing players available at this stage of the Draft, look for the Spurs to pounce on Chalmers if he is available. He is a high quality guy from a winning program, which seem to fit perfectly with the Spurs. They could also look at Chris Douglas-Roberts of Memphis, but he may not fit properly in the San Antonio environment.

- Kyle Weaver of Washington State

Weaver is a talented guard that can play both positions and defend the one, two, and three positions like a menace. He is the type of guy you love if he’s on your team, but hate if he isn’t. The intangibles he brings to the floor would fit perfectly with what the Spurs are trying to do.

Picks Over the Past Five Years

The Spurs have obviously not been afraid to draft players from overseas. That is how they got Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker. Unfortunately, none of their recent picks has panned out as nicely, but when the team is already stacked it doesn’t really matter.

Bartleby
06-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Interesting. The recent history of the players selected with 26th pick looks really encouraging . . . until you get down to 2003.

Marcus Bryant
06-21-2008, 01:06 PM
They could also look at Chris Douglas-Roberts of Memphis, but he may not fit properly in the San Antonio environment.

A curious, Casper-esque statement.

Pucho!!!
06-22-2008, 12:11 AM
"They could also look at Chris Douglas-Roberts of Memphis, but he may not fit properly in the San Antonio environment"

Y would he think that, does he not think the spurs could use a slashing, mid-range shooting (nba 3pt range with chip's help) sf/sf?

Guajalote
06-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Depth at Point Guard
With the departure of former backup and now rising star Beno Udrih, :rolleyes the Spurs once again find themselves looking for a steady backup at the point.

They could also look at Chris Douglas-Roberts of Memphis, but he may not fit properly in the San Antonio environment.

Since when was Beno a steady backup? Wasn't that why we brought in Vaughn?

Anybody get the CDR thing? Is this insinuating that he has bad character? Or that his skills would not fit?

pawe
06-22-2008, 12:32 AM
I really think what we need is a scoring point guard to team up with manu as second stringers. Manu's effectiveness will drop if he will be the focus of the entire defense because nobody can help him with the scoring load.

Kindergarten Cop
06-22-2008, 12:37 AM
I really think what we need is a scoring point guard to team up with manu as second stringers. Manu's effectiveness will drop if he will be the focus of the entire defense because nobody can help him with the scoring load.

I don't necessarily think that it has to be a scoring PG, because Manu is more than capable of running the point. I would be happy with a capable scorer at ANY position coming of the bench.

TDMVPDPOY
06-22-2008, 12:46 AM
lets just hope the spurs draft a fukn american...

Spurtacus
06-22-2008, 02:46 AM
Good read except for the Beno rising star part. What? lol. Anyways, I hope the Spurs draft someone who can come in and play right away. I'd be thrilled if they traded up and got CDR/Courtney Lee and Mario Chalmers.

pawe
06-22-2008, 02:47 AM
american, chinese, euro, klingon or whatever race they're going to draft, just as long as they can contribute. I hope the Spurs can steal/develop another manu or tony this year.