PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a PS3 and have a question...

Ronaldo McDonald
06-21-2008, 11:07 PM
I want to get a PS3 mainly for the MGS that just came out, but I also want a PS3 that will let me play PS 1 and PS 2 games as well since I wouldn't mind playing them again. The last time I heard there were different versions of the PS3 out, and depending on which one you have you can play PS 1 and/or PS 2 games on it. I want the version that lets me play both...can any of you help me out? Thanks.

BruceBowenFan
06-21-2008, 11:54 PM
i have the one when it launched and it lets me play game dont know about the newer one's pretty sure it will let u

Sense
06-22-2008, 01:14 AM
it depends on which PS3 you have.

the 20GB has almost full backwards compatibility.
the 60GB has a little more backwards compatibility and is the best choice overall.
the 80GB has less backwards compatibility then the other 2, but can play a large percentage still.
the 40GB has no backwards compatibility. this will never change.

but, they can all play PS1 games.

you can just google questions...
thats what I always do :P

apparently 60 gigs is the way to go

Slydragon
06-22-2008, 01:26 AM
They don't make 60GB ones no more, Basically the 60GBs had the PS2 emotion chip built in so it had 100% backward compatibility BUT they took the chip out to save cost and the only choice you have left is the 80GB which is not 100% but I believe above 90%. The 80GB uses emulation to run the PS2 games. All models of the PS3 play PSone game tho.

stretch
06-23-2008, 08:24 AM
yup. your best bet is to find an 80 gig.

however, if you can get ahold of a 60 gig, they might actually be worth quite a bit in the future, cuz not many were made and because of the type of hardware they came with.

but the only ones in production is the 40 gig. although for the MGS4 release, they have new 80 gig bundles, so you may wanna try and get one of those. thats why im going to do.

Ronaldo McDonald
06-23-2008, 12:10 PM
I just got the 60 GB over the internet (Amazon).

Stretch, you may want to look on Amazon.

Thanks everyone.

Ronaldo McDonald
06-23-2008, 12:13 PM
I think it'll be worth it. My favorite games of all time were on ps1 and ps2. I'll be able to play them. But the main reason I got the PS 3 is for the new MGS. Can't wait.

robino2001
06-23-2008, 01:04 PM
Huh, I actually had no idea about the backwards compatibility being different on the different PS3 versions. Interesting to know... I've been getting the itch to get one solely for the blu-ray player. I never had a ps1 or 2 so the BC isn't a huge thing but it'd be nice to have to family and friends with old games.