PDA

View Full Version : Charles Oakley To The NBA: "That's Cheating!"

Thomas82
06-22-2008, 01:55 AM
Retired player says NBA Officials exert too much influence on games
Saturday, June 21, 2008

Saturday morning editions of the New York Post will feature a story and interview with former Knicks standout Charles Oakley in which he articulates his belief that NBA officials and league executives exert too much control over the outcome of games.

In the article, Oakley also says that he feels the biggest surprise in the allegations by disgraced referee Tim Donaghy is that they didn't come sooner.

"I'm just surprised he hasn't put more stuff out about the league because everything he put out is the truth," Oakley told The Post. "There's a lot more going on behind this. Some official some day is going to come out with a book and tell the whole story.

"They should have asked about this a long time ago," added Oakley, who played for the Knicks for 10 seasons, from 1988 to 1998, when they made the playoffs every year. "When you can talk to officials at halftime about calls they made in the first half, that's control. When you control something, that's cheating."

Oakley cites the favorable treatment his buddy and one-time rival, Michael Jordan used to get from officials.

"Whenever you have superstar calls, that tells you right there it's cheating. It's controlled," Oakley said.

Oakley offers examples from this season's playoffs for support.

He pointed to the controversial end of Game 4 in the Lakers-Spurs Western Conference Finals. After no foul was called against LA's Derek Fisher for bumping the Spurs' Brent Barry, the league came out afterward and said a foul was warranted.

"In this year's playoffs [Barry] took a shot at the end of the game. That was a blatant foul and there was no foul called. Anybody who watches basketball knows it's a blatant foul," Oakley said. "

A ref is just doing what the league calls. . . . You can't tell a guy you can't blow a whistle in the last 30 seconds of the game. That's cheating."

Oakley contends the control extends beyond the officiating and cited frequent rule changes. Oakley was one of the toughest players in the NBA and often was rankled about rules that were added to give harsher penalties for rough fouls.

"Whenever you can change the rules every year to make somebody better, that's cheating," Oakley said.

Spurs fans may agree with Oakley on that point. After winning championships, the league has made several rule changes that seemed to hurt the Spurs the following year. In addition, many fans feel that the game itself has been deteriorated in favor of changes that might attract higher TV ratings.

spurs4real
06-22-2008, 02:18 AM
"In this year's playoffs [Barry] took a shot at the end of the game. That was a blatant foul and there was no foul called. Anybody who watches basketball knows it's a blatant foul," Oakley said. "

A ref is just doing what the league calls. . . . You can't tell a guy you can't blow a whistle in the last 30 seconds of the game. That's cheating."

Oakley contends the control extends beyond the officiating and cited frequent rule changes. Oakley was one of the toughest players in the NBA and often was rankled about rules that were added to give harsher penalties for rough fouls.

"Whenever you can change the rules every year to make somebody better, that's cheating," Oakley said.

Spurs fans may agree with Oakley on that point. After winning championships, the league has made several rule changes that seemed to hurt the Spurs the following year. In addition, many fans feel that the game itself has been deteriorated in favor of changes that might attract higher TV ratings.

Great find and great article in which I believe is so true.

Tully365
06-22-2008, 03:02 AM
Yeah, unfortunately it's true-- unspoken rules like star treatment and not calling fouls in the last seconds of a game just open up the floodgates for conspiracy theorists. I really think there should be limited instant replay calls available to coaches, say 2 per half. It'll never be perfect-- refs are human afterall-- but that would go a ways toward helping.
I love watching D Wade play, but every time he makes that 3 step spin move and scores i can't help but think that it's travelling... no question about it.

m33p0
06-22-2008, 05:20 AM

timvp
06-22-2008, 05:25 AM
That rule changing aspect has been pretty obvious over the years. Whenever the Spurs have won, major sweeping changes to the rulebooks have taken place. :lol

Now watch how there will be no major rule changes this year.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-22-2008, 05:30 AM
this one needs to be bolded, highlighted, underlined, etc and posted on every fucking thread concerning the league office.

It's the real reason why the Spurs have had so much trouble repeating and defending the title...

Stern feels they were never supposed to have won it all in the first place. Four times already, Duncan keeps foiling Stern again and again...

mrspurs
06-22-2008, 08:48 AM
oh yeah they cheat....have been for many yrs...im just happy that we had enough talent to overcome the nba's system and won 4 rings....but now that these secrets of nba cheating come out.......imo things will get worse not better....only one way to make things better next season with a great effect.....the nba must adopt the nfls version of the red flag...i would think half of the calls the refs make would be overturned, barry would have gone to the line, and joey's call would have been thrown out of the at&t center..after that noone knows if barry makes or misses...but at least the right call would have been made....all the nba refs would learn from being called out by coaches, they would learn that no matter what stern and his crew say todo, they wont be able to get away with it....(i tried to help the other team win mr. stern, but that new red flag busted me and got OVERTURNED) now i can't even makeup a call, cos they might overturn that play as well...guess ill wait till they run of red flags so i can help cheat for ya mr. stern.....no version of the nfls red flag=nba officiating getting worse imo

Mister Sinister
06-22-2008, 09:32 AM
It's the real reason why the Spurs have had so much trouble repeating and defending the title...

Stern feels they were never supposed to have won it all in the first place. Four times already, Duncan keeps foiling Stern again and again...
We need a shop of Stern with an old-time villain mustache saying, "Curses! Foiled again! Nya ha ha ha!"

Kermit
06-22-2008, 09:45 AM
That rule changing aspect has been pretty obvious over the years. Whenever the Spurs have won, major sweeping changes to the rulebooks have taken place. :lol

Besides the flopping rule?

KEDA
06-22-2008, 09:49 AM
This is why I have given up on the NBA, I'm 99% sure I will not be watching much if any NBA games next season. It was pretty blatant this season, and I'm just done supporting it.

I will not buy any merchandise, attend any games, or watch any on my home television. If I am at a bar, or someone else's house and it is on, then I will have no choice but to watch it. But as a consumer, I can voice my opinion by not supporting this product called the NBA.

I don't know how long I will boycott this, but until MAJOR changes are done, the NBA has lost a customer. I know its insignificant, but its what I believe in, so thats what I'm going to do.

Harry Callahan
06-22-2008, 09:50 AM

Too late TimVP. What about the fines for drawing offensive fouls too vigorously (called flopping in some quarters).

The most blatent act against SA was the change in the hand checking rules in 1999. That a clear, direct response by the league for what the Spurs did really well defensively.

BTW, Ginobili does not "flop" nearly as much as he used to. The curly headed guy in Cleveland as well as Derek Fisher are monster floppers.

boutons_
06-22-2008, 10:28 AM
"That rule changing aspect has been pretty obvious over the years."

Anybody have a compilation of the anti-Spur rules changes after each Spurs' Title?

Cant_Be_Faded
06-22-2008, 11:18 AM

Anybody have a compilation of the anti-Spur rules changes after each Spurs' Title?

Yeah I'm curious about that too.

timvp
06-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Besides the flopping rule?Yeah, that rule was announced while the Spurs were still alive in the playoffs. I'm talking about here on in.

jmard5
06-22-2008, 11:39 AM

Yup, no major rules. But they will be looking at the hack-a-shaq the spurs used against the Suns.

Ronaldo McDonald
06-22-2008, 11:39 AM

What he said.

timvp
06-22-2008, 11:44 AM

Anybody have a compilation of the anti-Spur rules changes after each Spurs' Title?I've posted it before ..... let me see if I can find it.

cash459
06-22-2008, 11:46 AM
This is why I have given up on the NBA, I'm 99% sure I will not be watching much if any NBA games next season. It was pretty blatant this season, and I'm just done supporting it.

I will not buy any merchandise, attend any games, or watch any on my home television. If I am at a bar, or someone else's house and it is on, then I will have no choice but to watch it. But as a consumer, I can voice my opinion by not supporting this product called the NBA.

I don't know how long I will boycott this, but until MAJOR changes are done, the NBA has lost a customer. I know its insignificant, but its what I believe in, so thats what I'm going to do.

:toast

timvp
06-22-2008, 11:47 AM
I've posted it before ..... let me see if I can find it.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2426219&postcount=30

Anti.Hero
06-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Nba is rigged.

Oh well. We got 4 rings outta the bitch!

Marcus Bryant
06-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Remember when Elliott was called for like 20 traveling violations in one playoff series?

Anyways, the Spurs have won 4 titles in spite of this crap.

E20
06-22-2008, 11:55 AM
I had a person living next to me who played with Oakley in college.

timvp
06-22-2008, 12:00 PM
To be fair to the NBA, it's usually the national media that starts whining first about rule changes and then the NBA follows through. I personally do not think the NBA is rigged or specifically targets the Spurs and other small market teams in attempt to make them lose.

I think that the NBA has been foolish at times and has caved in to pressure from the national media, but that could be said for any league. There's just no way the NBA can afford to even think about rigging games because if they were caught, the league would be over. I'm confident the playing field is about as level as possible. Obviously big market teams will always have a little bit of an advantage because that's true in every sport. Overall though, the NBA is an extremely fair league and it has a collective bargaining agreement that gives any team in the league a legit chance of winning a championship.

Thomas82
06-22-2008, 12:07 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2426219&postcount=30

Man, this post was right on point!!

spurscenter
06-22-2008, 12:22 PM
preach on

Cant_Be_Faded
06-22-2008, 01:03 PM
It's like the national media's first response to the Spurs winning is to change rules. Tim and David pack the paint? Change the illegal defense rules. David draws charges under the basket? Add the charge circle. Pop instructs his players to hand check on the perimeter? Eliminate handchecking.

Are you sure Tim and David packing the paint was the only reason to add the illegal defense?

LakeShow
06-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Are you sure Tim and David packing the paint was the only reason to add the illegal defense?

No it was not. The main reason for the change was to give teams a chance to deal with a dominant Shaquille Oneal.

rj215
06-22-2008, 02:10 PM
No it was not. The main reason for the change was to give teams a chance to deal with a dominant Shaquille Oneal.

It probably helps that David Stern has a hard on for the Lakers. He tries to do as much as possible to get them to win. Even if it means rigging the WCF against the Kings in '02. The NBA will be looked at like the WWE unless they get rid of Stern, seperate the refs from the NBA, get rid of super star calls and do their best to get some credibility back.

LakeShow
06-22-2008, 02:17 PM
It probably helps that David Stern has a hard on for the Lakers. He tries to do as much as possible to get them to win. Even if it means rigging the WCF against the Kings in '02. The NBA will be looked at like the WWE unless they get rid of Stern, seperate the refs from the NBA, get rid of super star calls and do their best to get some credibility back.

Superstar calls have been around long before Stern and it will continue to be that way but I agree, it would probably be best if Stern is removed.

cash459
06-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Superstar calls have been around long before Stern and it will continue to be that way but I agree, it would probably be best if Stern is removed.

Probably one of, if not the best post I've seen from you :toast

wildbill2u
06-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Seeing all those rules changes one after another is incredible. Pretty obvious that the league is involved with tilting the playing field.

Fiestadog
06-22-2008, 04:10 PM

Good for Oakley, one of the few to call SHADING what it is...cheating! "Fine that man a $100,000 for speaking the truth", David Stern.

Galileo
06-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Oakley is speaking out because he is no longer under contract with the league. We need more players to speak up for the truth.

VaSpursFan
06-22-2008, 07:29 PM
oakley was never one to conform and not that he's not contractually bound to the nba, he freely speaks his mind. a lot of his observations have credence. the purity of the game is gone.

Thomas82
06-22-2008, 07:51 PM

That's about the only way to fix the problem.

spurs2112
06-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Yeah, unfortunately it's true-- unspoken rules like star treatment and not calling fouls in the last seconds of a game just open up the floodgates for conspiracy theorists. I really think there should be limited instant replay calls available to coaches, say 2 per half. It'll never be perfect-- refs are human afterall-- but that would go a ways toward helping.
I love watching D Wade play, but every time he makes that 3 step spin move and scores i can't help but think that it's travelling... no question about it.

I agree with you 100% about having limited instant replays. The reason the league gives for not having it is it will slow the game down. But now with all this "games being fixed talk" it makes since for the league to not have it because if they are fixing the games challenging a call will throw a monkey wrench in there plans.

boutons_
06-22-2008, 08:32 PM
replays would slow the game down.

Add another ref on court, and then place 6 refs in the stands, 1 under each basket and 1 at each 1/4 court. If there was dispute between the 4 on court refs, they could consult aks the nearest stands refs to chime in.

bobbybob0
06-22-2008, 08:51 PM
replays would slow the game down.

Add another ref on court, and then place 6 refs in the stands, 1 under each basket and 1 at each 1/4 court. If there was dispute between the 4 on court refs, they could consult aks the nearest stands refs to chime in.

Sure, then wear white shorts and rename the league as ATP Tour

:lmao

BlackSwordsMan
06-22-2008, 09:04 PM
who wrote this?

Thomas82
06-22-2008, 09:35 PM
who wrote this?

Fred Kerber, NY Post

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06152008/sports/knicks/oak__nba_has_real_problem_115537.htm

RussN
06-22-2008, 10:14 PM

I have had some sort of season ticket package for the Spurs for a while now...next year I have a 10 game package, 2 seats at $120 a seat, or $2400 total. I am SERIOUSLY thinking about calling my spurs ticket office guy and telling him that I want my money for next year back and be done with it.

Even though I have had to take off days from work to go to the select a seat events and work my way down to the court since the SBC Center opened. Not sure if it is worth it anymore...and I am the biggest Spurs fan I know. This really SUCKS!

Thomas82
06-23-2008, 01:09 AM
I have had some sort of season ticket package for the Spurs for a while now...next year I have a 10 game package, 2 seats at $120 a seat, or $2400 total. I am SERIOUSLY thinking about calling my spurs ticket office guy and telling him that I want my money for next year back and be done with it.

Even though I have had to take off days from work to go to the select a seat events and work my way down to the court since the SBC Center opened. Not sure if it is worth it anymore...and I am the biggest Spurs fan I know. This really SUCKS!

A lot of people are echoing your sentiments.

rj215
06-23-2008, 01:34 AM
A lot of people are echoing your sentiments.

The problem is that the die hard fans will always support their teams and Stern knows it. He's more concerned about getting people (money) from other countries rather than keeping fans in the US. Kinda sucks that scumbag like him is ruining such a top notch sport. Hopefully someone else will step in and fix all of Sterns messes (ie. cheating refs).

v2freak
06-23-2008, 04:53 AM
Any Stern fans here? I've heard some proclaim that he has been a good commissioner.

Thomas82
06-23-2008, 05:44 AM
The problem is that the die hard fans will always support their teams and Stern knows it. He's more concerned about getting people (money) from other countries rather than keeping fans in the US. Kinda sucks that scumbag like him is ruining such a top notch sport. Hopefully someone else will step in and fix all of Sterns messes (ie. cheating refs).

The sad thing is that he doesn't even realize it, and the consequences for him will be devastating, especially since he'll be surprised by the reality of the situation that he got himself into once he wakes up.

sickdsm
06-23-2008, 06:10 AM

Didn't they change the catch and shoot rules after DFish killed the spurs?

Just because your paranoid doesn't mean there not out to get you, huh?

Spur-Addict
06-23-2008, 06:21 AM
Didn't they change the catch and shoot rules after DFish killed the spurs?

Just because your paranoid doesn't mean there not out to get you, huh?

If someone has to explain to you it's not possible to get a shot off in .4 in that manner then you are already lost. Catch, turn, release all in .4? Hmm, maybe you may want to re-evaluate that statement. Nice shot though nonetheless. In my opinion, time didn't permit clearance.

Thomas82
06-23-2008, 06:43 AM
If someone has to explain to you it's not possible to get a shot off in .4 in that manner then you are already lost. Catch, turn, release all in .4? Hmm, maybe you may want to re-evaluate that statement. Nice shot though nonetheless. In my opinion, time didn't permit clearance.

Yeah, it's definately impossible to get a good shot off in that amount of time. Looking back at the replay, it's obvious that the clock was started late.

timvp
06-23-2008, 06:43 AM
Are you sure Tim and David packing the paint was the only reason to add the illegal defense?I never said it was the only reason. But it's purpose was to help put an end to the low scoring era ... which coincidentally the defensive-minded Spurs were faring well in.

No it was not. The main reason for the change was to give teams a chance to deal with a dominant Shaquille Oneal.WTF? How would adding defensive three second help teams guard Shaq?

Laker fans :shootme

Any Stern fans here? I've heard some proclaim that he has been a good commissioner.Overall, I think he's probably one of the top three commissioners of all-time in any sport. When he took over, the NBA Finals were on tape delay. He's not perfect but he has been very good.

Didn't they change the catch and shoot rules after DFish killed the spurs?No. They changed it before that shot ... yet they counted the shot anyways. Nice try.

Just because your paranoid doesn't mean there not out to get you, huh?Just because you don't use a double negative doesn't mean I can't not understand you.

Anyways, like I said, the NBA isn't rigged. Seriously, there isn't a sport with a more even playing field than the NBA. When a team from the middle of South Texas can be in the middle of the field in payroll on a yearly basis, that in itself is a miracle and is something unique to the NBA. If the NBA didn't bend over backwards to give small market teams a shot, the Spurs not only wouldn't exist, they would have been one of the worst teams in NBA history. So before those who want to give up on the NBA throw away their basketball, they should realize there is a lot to be thankful for when it comes to the NBA. If the NBA were run like baseball, for example, the Spurs would have absolutely no chance to ever make the playoffs.

And the rule changes aren't specifically to dethrone the Spurs. The rule committee comes up with the changes to "better" the game and make it more appealing. The Spurs haven't really played appealing basketball since they started being a championship contender, so it's natural that some of the rules would affect how they have to play.

But the bottomline is the Spurs have won four championships with the cards they've been dealt. On the whole, the NBA has helped the Spurs stay competitive a thousand times more than the NBA has hurt the Spurs.

Dry up the tears and try again in '09.

2centsworth
06-23-2008, 08:38 AM
To be fair to the NBA, it's usually the national media that starts whining first about rule changes and then the NBA follows through. I personally do not think the NBA is rigged or specifically targets the Spurs and other small market teams in attempt to make them lose.

I think that the NBA has been foolish at times and has caved in to pressure from the national media, but that could be said for any league. There's just no way the NBA can afford to even think about rigging games because if they were caught, the league would be over. I'm confident the playing field is about as level as possible. Obviously big market teams will always have a little bit of an advantage because that's true in every sport. Overall though, the NBA is an extremely fair league and it has a collective bargaining agreement that gives any team in the league a legit chance of winning a championship.

they don't rig, they influence.

LakeShow
06-23-2008, 11:27 AM
WTF? How would adding defensive three second help teams guard Shaq?

Laker fans :shootme

Timvp :shootme, Where did I say that? Nice try though.

In 2001, Shaq and the Lakers blitzed the league in the playoffs which was very good for the Lakers and bad for the league.

Lakers' perfection proving costly to league, TV (http://spurstalk.com/forums/Lakers' perfection proving costly to league, TV)

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2001/2001/0531/1208216.html

It was after that dominance that the league made changes to the Illegal Defense calls. The Illegal defense and the defensive 3 seconds rule came hand in hand.

http://www.nba.com/news/rule_changes_010412.html

NBA Approves Rules Changes
Posted Nov 21 2002 12:14PM

BOG approves changes designed to improve the flow and pace of the game
NEW YORK, April 12 -- The NBA Board of Governors today approved several playing rules changes designed to improve the flow and pace of the game. The new rules will go into effect for the 2001-02 season.
The rules changes had been recommended by a select committee on playing rules chaired by Phoenix Suns Chairman and CEO Jerry Colangelo, and were presented to the board at last month's meeting.
The changes are:

Illegal defense guidelines will be eliminated in their entirety.
A new defensive three-second rule will prohibit a defensive player from remaining in the lane for more than three consecutive seconds without closely guarding an offensive player.
The time that a team has to advance the ball past midcourt will be reduced from 10 seconds to eight.
Brief contact initiated by a defensive player will be allowed if it does not impede the progress of the player with the ball.

The League decided that they needed more games in the playoffs and a dominance in the playoffs was bad business for them and the networks. They decided that allowing teams to play zone would give teams a better chance to defend Shaq, who was unguardable at the time. At the same time allowing Shaq to just hang out in the lane on defense would be just as damaging to the league so they added the defensive 3 second rule to prevent that from happening.

I know there were other factors in the rule changes, for instance, the leagues attempt to go global. One of the main things that have prevented the overseas involvement in the league was their lack of playing man on man defense. With the zone, it gives them a better chance to compete without the pressures of having to guard players one on one.

The Hand check rule was introduced by Mark Cuban because of Dirk and Nash not being able to move their stronger counterparts. Cuban used Billups vs. Nash as an example of a stronger guard being able to stop the weaker guard in their tracks. It may have had something to do with Bowen's defense as well but it was not a rule change implemented specifically for the Spurs, it was to help the weaker guards compete.

stretch
06-23-2008, 11:30 AM

I'm curious as to what rule changes were made after the spurs won championships that affected them directly? and im not trying to be a dickhead or anything, its an honest question.

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Handchecking, for one.

Thomas82
06-23-2008, 11:46 PM
Handchecking, for one.

That was the biggest one, because it hurt guys like Mario Elie and Jaren Jackson the most.

Robinzine
06-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Retired player says NBA Officials exert too much influence on games
Saturday, June 21, 2008

Saturday morning editions of the New York Post will feature a story and interview with former Knicks standout Charles Oakley in which he articulates his belief that NBA officials and league executives exert too much control over the outcome of games.

In the article, Oakley also says that he feels the biggest surprise in the allegations by disgraced referee Tim Donaghy is that they didn't come sooner.

"I'm just surprised he hasn't put more stuff out about the league because everything he put out is the truth," Oakley told The Post. "There's a lot more going on behind this. Some official some day is going to come out with a book and tell the whole story.

"They should have asked about this a long time ago," added Oakley, who played for the Knicks for 10 seasons, from 1988 to 1998, when they made the playoffs every year. "When you can talk to officials at halftime about calls they made in the first half, that's control. When you control something, that's cheating."

Oakley cites the favorable treatment his buddy and one-time rival, Michael Jordan used to get from officials.

"Whenever you have superstar calls, that tells you right there it's cheating. It's controlled," Oakley said.

Oakley offers examples from this season's playoffs for support.

He pointed to the controversial end of Game 4 in the Lakers-Spurs Western Conference Finals. After no foul was called against LA's Derek Fisher for bumping the Spurs' Brent Barry, the league came out afterward and said a foul was warranted.

Sour grapes from a player who's team came up short every year for 10 years. Where's his outrage against his pal Michael Jordan's Bulls, who punked them in that decade? He's strangely silent about them, but of course he has to go after the Lakers. You're yesterday's news, Oakley - thank you for playing.

michaelwcho
06-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Overall though, the NBA is an extremely fair league and it has a collective bargaining agreement that gives any team in the league a legit chance of winning a championship.

Just to nitpick, only a few teams have legitimate chances to win. For example, unless you were the Spurs or the Lakers, it has been rather difficult to win championships for some time. This has more to do with the ability of great centers to dominate than the other factors, but just had to throw in my 2-yen.

Thomas82
06-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Just to nitpick, only a few teams have legitimate chances to win. For example, unless you were the Spurs or the Lakers, it has been rather difficult to win championships for some time. This has more to do with the ability of great centers to dominate than the other factors, but just had to throw in my 2-yen.

That makes sense.

himat
06-25-2008, 02:52 PM
The rules that limited defense after 04 was really gay. Especially handchecking. NBA is weak now.

Thomas82
06-25-2008, 10:18 PM
The rules that limited defense after 04 was really gay. Especially handchecking. NBA is weak now.

Very weak!!!