PDA

View Full Version : Dump Oberto, Vaughn, Finley, Barry and ther rest of the pensioners we have

AC#21_TD ERA
06-22-2008, 03:52 AM
Its time those pensioners go
Oberto is a dud he cant get a rebound and teams know how he gets is cheap buckets now. So its time we trade him for an expiring contract.
Finley, Garbage Vaughn, Barry, horry we shouldnt even look at giving them a new contract.
With the free money we have should sign:
PG:Duhon, SF:Artest or Petruis, and resign Kurt Thomas if we cant get a decent center. Im sick and tired of not having a decent back up PG or some youth. Buford and the Spurs get your head out of the sand.

anakha
06-22-2008, 04:06 AM
Not bad for a first try.

This post shows an appropriate amount of vitriol, player-bashing, and FO-bashing.

A little wordy, though. Needs shortening.

Try querying the forum for Sequ's posts for examples of concise ranting.

Thomas
06-22-2008, 04:19 AM
Barry deserves to stay!

TILDEN
06-22-2008, 04:38 AM
i agree with u spurs need a back up guard with speed to make layups. also need help with rebounds an a shot blocker

TILDEN
06-22-2008, 04:39 AM
hello

m33p0
06-22-2008, 04:40 AM
barry is a spurs legend.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-22-2008, 05:44 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if more guys stayed than expected.

mrspurs
06-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Oberto is a dud he cant get a rebound and teams know how he gets is cheap buckets now. So its time we trade him for an expiring contract.
Finley, Garbage Vaughn, Barry, horry we shouldnt even look at giving them a new contract.
PG:Duhon, SF:Artest or Petruis, and resign Kurt Thomas if we cant get a decent center. Im sick and tired of not having a decent back up PG or some youth. Buford and the Spurs get your head out of the sand.

agreed

spurs50_
06-22-2008, 09:18 AM
i hope we aren't the oldest team on the planet .......again

Mister Sinister
06-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Have you whistled for any cabs lately?

Biggems
06-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Barry stays....cause of his commercials and cause of Erin.

Kindergarten Cop
06-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Barry stays....cause of his commercials and cause of Erin.

Actually Barry stays.....because he is already under contract already for basically a vet minimum deal for this upcoming season. But yeah, the commercials and Erin are good reasons too. ;)

Dunc n Dave
06-22-2008, 12:12 PM

Let's see... where to start?
Barry, Vaughn, and Oberto will be back, well... because they have contracts next year. Dumping them won't give the Spurs any more cap space because their contracts are GUARANTEED and will still count against the cap unless someone else is willing to sign them as free agents for the same amount we are paying them (no one else is gonna pay Oberto $3.5 million.)

Now to the bigger issue. The salary cap... The Spurs are not under the cap and therefore they can't offer free agents any money other than the mid level exception of around $5.5 million. You are not gonna get Duhon AND Artest or Pietrus for a COMBINED $5.5 million. Artest has already publicly stated recently IF he DOES opt out (very unlikely) he won't take a mid-level contract offer. So you need 6-9 million of cap space if you want to sign him straight up. The Spurs don't have it...

Even if they renounce the rights to all their free agents (Finley, Horry, K. Thomas, D.Johnson, Stoudamire) they still would have $57 million assigned to 10 players under contract(Duncan, Parker, Manu, Bowen, Oberto, Barry, Vaughn, Bonner, Udoka, Mihinmi). The salary cap was $55.6 million last season. Let's say, due to inflation, the cap rises to $59 million, miraculously putting the Spurs a whopping $900k under the cap. What great free agents are they gonna get for $900k??? You think Artest will opt out of his $7mill contract to play for the Spurs for less than the minimum?

And by the way, if the Spurs end up under the cap and they renounce rights to all of their free agents, they lose the mid-level exception, since it is only for teams who are over the cap. Basically, unless a trade goes down, there will be no big time free agent signings and you can expect to see FInley and Thomas back in a Spurs uniform... Enjoy!

angelbelow
06-22-2008, 02:03 PM
vaughn is undercontract so if he wants to come back, thats his choice... unofrtunately for us.

Marcus Bryant
06-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Barry, Vaughn, and Oberto really aren't that much of a concern next season. Barry is as good as any 'veteran shooter' available, plus his ballhandling ability and his experience with the Spurs' offense makes him a very good fit. Vaughn is a good 3rd point. Oberto fits in well playing opposite Duncan.

I think the major concern for the Spurs is replacing Finley with a younger and athletic swingman. Of lesser concern, it would be nice if the Spurs could find a backup point who can score a little (ie Chalmers).

Biggems
06-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Actually Barry stays.....because he is already under contract already for basically a vet minimum deal for this upcoming season. But yeah, the commercials and Erin are good reasons too. ;)

i know he is still under contract....i was being a smartass

Kindergarten Cop
06-22-2008, 08:06 PM
i know he is still under contract....i was being a smartass

I realized that - which is why I was being a bit of one as well. No harm intended.:toast

Spurs da champs
06-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Barry should go,Vaughn should just go home no skillz at all,Finley he can shoot but not like he used to,Horry should retire although if he doesn't I wouldn't mind him staying.

Biggems
06-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Barry should go,Vaughn should just go home no skillz at all,Finley he can shoot but not like he used to,Horry should retire although if he doesn't I wouldn't mind him staying.

without Barry, we arent even in games 4 and 5 of the Lakers series.

the only place Barry needs to go is to the scorers table to check into the game more often.

AC#21_TD ERA
06-22-2008, 08:43 PM
Ok Barry can stay ill take back at least he can play still.
But if that garbage Vaughn deosnt get brought out i want RC internationalford's head on a stick. Everytime JV is on the court opposition teams just laugh at him and make runs at us. Ship his ass out of San Antonio or i will do it.

pawe
06-22-2008, 11:36 PM
The pensioners you're bashing helped keep the spurs' playoffs streak alive and even contributed in bringing in a championship. Id rather have them than a bunch of young clueless players who go for glory instead of respect for the game.

Spurs da champs
06-23-2008, 12:15 AM
The pensioners you're bashing helped keep the spurs' playoffs streak alive and even contributed in bringing in a championship. Id rather have them than a bunch of young clueless players who go for glory instead of respect for the game.

Vaughn did? I can get why you would defend finley,horry,and barry. But vaughn?:lol

pawe
06-23-2008, 12:32 AM
JV actually did a decent job backing up parker. I surely hated his ass when he's jacking up long shots while manu and td is in but i think he still deserves the props. id rather have vaughn back parker than MM.

thousandth
06-23-2008, 10:17 AM

I hope Brent'll be back, too. The guy is a great 3's shoter, one of the best in all NBA.

Indazone
06-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Another year of basketball coming. Another year of old time pensioners on your roster. If you guys think that Buford will let these geezers go you got another thing coming. One or two trades max on a playoff. You need more offensive firepower I'll give you that. Defensively the Spurs are pretty good. Ginobili is up and down too much. Parker is consistent and Duncan is more than servicable. You got Mahinmi up and coming. What you guys really need is a third scorer that can flat out score from anywhere.

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Uh, that would be a 4th scorer.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-23-2008, 10:47 AM
What you guys really need is a third scorer that can flat out score from anywhere.

Did you forget about Manu?

lotr1trekkie
06-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Every team in the West is scrambling to improve themselves. The West will be at have at least 11 teams viable for 8 playoff positions. The Spurs can't modify they must upgrade for next year. An NBA draft with no seniors projected until # 18 will not produce too many impact players for playoff bound teams.
Therefore:
1} The Spurs have to take a run at JR Smith. If he doesn't work out he's at least trade bait later on.
2} Based on #1, the Spurs need to move up in the draft to get that one player they think could contribute next season.
3} Failing #'s 1 & 2 work out some convoluted[4 team] cap deal that gets Mike Miller out of Memphis. Obviously, he's be a killer at SG.
We need to remember that the Spurs were one ankle injury away from another finals and the Celts didn't frighten me that much. They merely exposed the Fakers for who they were.
Horry and Finley got to go a prime players but we don't need to scuttle the team.

Chief
06-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Horry and Finley need to go , they're times up.

i know these veterans have helped us win championships, but are you willing to keep them ust out of respect for another year when that's a year that aging duncan will lose ?

AC#21_TD ERA
11-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by AC#21_TD ERA

The Spurs didn't get younger and they're now paying the price from their lack of off season moves. The Spurs are looking like a team that is heading to the lottery. :pctoss