PDA

View Full Version : Pics from last night's Boston/Styx concert

J.T.
06-22-2008, 05:08 AM
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/rockthejoint/Boston%20Concert%206-21-08/

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/rockthejoint/Styx%20Concert%206-21-08/

I was in the 4th row so I got some really nice pictures. About 200 or so. I have to say, that was one of the best shows I have ever, ever been to. The first time I saw Aerosmith and the opening act, forget who it was, couldn't go on because the lead singer was sick, and Aerosmith came out and played an extended show to give everyone their money's worth... that might still be the best but this one was really close. This is the first time Boston has played a show outside of the city of Boston in four years and they didn't disappoint at all.

It was pretty hot out there until it got dark. Styx came out all wearing grey jackets. Each one of them had taken their jackets off by the third song. :lmao

AlamoSpursFan
06-22-2008, 08:32 AM
This is the first time Boston has played a show outside of the city of Boston in four years and they didn't disappoint at all.

How'd they do that without a lead singer?

(Semi-joking question...I'm sure they found someone to sing, but I just don't think it would be Boston without Brad Delp.)

J.T.
06-22-2008, 11:00 AM
How'd they do that without a lead singer?

(Semi-joking question...I'm sure they found someone to sing, but I just don't think it would be Boston without Brad Delp.)

They had Michael Sweet from Stryper doing some lead vocals (but mostly guitar). The guy doing most of the lead vocals was Tommy DeCarlo, and I believe they found him because he had recorded Boston songs with him doing the vocals and put them on his Myspace, and the band found him and liked him and asked him to come on tour with them. He works at a Home Depot in North Carolina.

I agree that replacing band members isn't the same as the originals, though. But these guys were very good, and they dedicated one of the songs to Brad which I thought was very cool. To me, Boston isn't Boston without Tom Scholz, and Tom was there tearin' it up.

mrsmaalox
06-22-2008, 11:15 AM
They had Michael Sweet from Stryper doing some lead vocals (but mostly guitar). The guy doing most of the lead vocals was Tommy DeCarlo, and I believe they found him because he had recorded Boston songs with him doing the vocals and put them on his Myspace, and the band found him and liked him and asked him to come on tour with them. He works at a Home Depot in North Carolina.

Somone told me that guy's story not long ago; cool. Sounds like a great show. I really considered going to it, but I was wary because I really thought Michael Sweet was doing all the lead vocals and I wasn't sure I would like that. I'm glad bands like that are getting out on the road now. They (like my favorites, Steely Dan) were so studio oriented that technology is finally such that they can put on a good live show.
Now what about Styx? Same singer situation there. I just didn't think I could enjoy them without Dennis DeYoung!

J.T.
06-22-2008, 11:29 AM
\Now what about Styx? Same singer situation there. I just didn't think I could enjoy them without Dennis DeYoung!

Eh their singer situation is more similar to Journey, Dennis had a falling out with James and Tommy, they've both sued and countersued each other a few times and Dennis allowed them to keep using the band name and James allowed him to use "the music of Styx" to promote himself, but not "the voice of Styx"

I don't think they played any songs written exclusively by Dennis, which sucked, because now I won't get to hear Lady or Suite Madam Blue (my all-time favorite Styx tune) at a Styx show ever.

Condemned 2 HelLA
06-22-2008, 01:12 PM

I agree that replacing band members isn't the same as the originals, though. But these guys were very good, and they dedicated one of the songs to Brad which I thought was very cool. To me, Boston isn't Boston without Tom Scholz, and Tom was there tearin' it up.

Isn't this pretty much the same situation with the guy who's singing for Journey now as well?