PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Recommendations?

tp2021
06-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Hey everyone. I'm about to go off to college and one of the things I know I will need is a laptop. I was wondering if any of you guys or girls have recommendations as to what computers have worked for you and what features are the most important. All opinions are appreciated.

Sense
06-22-2008, 05:31 PM
I recently bought one... not too long ago... and after some reasearch I found this beauty....

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41c1MjrB9bL._SS260_.jpg

here are the specs

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-pavilion-dv9830us-entertainment/4507-3121_7-32934392.html

the only bad thing about it is the processor... but since its an intel core 2 duo... 1.83 mhz doesn't seem so bad .

oh and it's kind of a pricey.. but for a desktop replacement ... I definately thought it was worth it..

I mean 17", Blu Ray, and the graphics card did it for me...

as far as the features most important... that depends on you man.... what are you using it for? this laptop is ment for entertainment.. but it's sweet specs make it usable for all other stuff

tw05baller
06-22-2008, 06:02 PM
I recently bought one... not too long ago... and after some reasearch I found this beauty....

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41c1MjrB9bL._SS260_.jpg

here are the specs

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/hp-pavilion-dv9830us-entertainment/4507-3121_7-32934392.html

the only bad thing about it is the processor... but since its an intel core 2 duo... 1.83 mhz doesn't seem so bad .

oh and it's kind of a pricey.. but for a desktop replacement ... I definately thought it was worth it..

I mean 17", Blu Ray, and the graphics card did it for me...

as far as the features most important... that depends on you man.... what are you using it for? this laptop is ment for entertainment.. but it's sweet specs make it usable for all other stuff

i want that

tp2021
06-22-2008, 07:36 PM
As of now, i doubt i will usemy computer for gaming, but that may change. i doubt i will be able to tke my 360 to school with me, since i have younger siblings. i mainly use my computer at home for media-pics, movies, and music- and of course the internets.

Sense
06-22-2008, 09:31 PM
how much are you willing to spend?

CubanMustGo
06-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Many colleges have discount programs, and especially with Apple. Check with your college bookstore.

Kyle Smith
06-22-2008, 09:59 PM
Get a Macbook.

You'll thank me.

PumpUpTheJam
06-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Get a Macbook.

You'll thank me.

Word.

Heath Ledger
06-22-2008, 11:14 PM
if u buy an iMac right now they are giving away a free iPod itouch iMacs aren' notebooks though if u want a outer cool enough to get u laid get a macbook

Anti.Hero
06-22-2008, 11:25 PM
thinkpad.

If you are a contractor you get huge discounts...sdf.sf.sdaf..

fuck mac.

Kyle Smith
06-23-2008, 05:53 PM
if u buy an iMac right now they are giving away a free iPod itouch iMacs aren' notebooks though if u want a outer cool enough to get u laid get a macbook

If you buy any Mac, actually (even a macbook).

thinkpad.

fuck mac.

Yeah. He's a contractor going to college for the first time.

Use your head.

Macbooks are perfect for college kids.

N.Y. Johnny
06-24-2008, 03:34 PM
If you're wanting a very compact and easy to carry around computer, then get a Macbook or a Macbook Air if you have some scratch and aren't on a budget.

Or a small PC for that matter. It also depends on what all you want to do with it and what you're going to need it for.

If you're doing graphic intensive stuff then consider that. If you need just a basic computer to do light word processing and stuff then don't go over.

Kyle Smith
06-24-2008, 04:25 PM
If you're wanting a very compact and easy to carry around computer, then get a Macbook or a Macbook Air if you have some scratch and aren't on a budget.

I agree - Except the Air only has 1 usb drive and no slot for CDs/DVDs.

A college kid is definitely going to want something he can listen to music / watch movies on.

bigfish22
06-24-2008, 04:43 PM
thinkpad.

fuck mac.

http://www.pbmai.com/pbmai_blog/uploaded_images/indextop20070130-716548.jpg

See there you go again PC. Why all the hate?

Sense
06-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Personally... those ads don't do shit for me...

if you don't know how to use a pc don't buy a laptop.. if you wanna go the easy way out go with a mac...

i like pc's better than the mac's... but if you're one to get easy viruses... etc. go with the macs

Heath Ledger
06-24-2008, 08:31 PM
macs are very user friendly a small learning curve if you transition from pc to mac. plust they are just hip in general.

Sense
06-24-2008, 10:42 PM
macs are very user friendly a small learning curve if you transition from pc to mac. plust they are just hip in general.

some people don't need user-friendlyness.....
lol and hip? hows a computer hip...

just choose on what youd rather see daily... the pc icon/desktop or a mac slide-icon thingy/desktop...

of course there are alot of other differences... my suggestion is get what you're used to.

Anti.Hero
06-24-2008, 10:59 PM
If you buy any Mac, actually (even a macbook).

Yeah. He's a contractor going to college for the first time.

Use your head.

Macbooks are perfect for college kids.

Use my head? Use YOUR head and google contractor discount code. Hypothetically...I hear...

mouse
06-26-2008, 01:14 AM
Don't spend more than 400.00

and make sure it has a wide screen.

http://www.kentmusictechnology.co.uk/images/Macbook%20Pro%2017%20inch.jpg

ElNono
06-26-2008, 09:46 AM
For a Laptop, and specially college, I would definitely recommend an Intel MacBook. Further, do go ahead and take advantage of the college discount. And if you never laid your hands on a iPhone Touch, you'll be simply blown away. Single handedly changed the way I surf the net (I don't even use the music player much at all), and the way I catch up with TV shows. And you can get it for free? It's a steal. Apple's are a little pricier, but my experience with their technical support has been outstanding. Plus with Parallels, or VMWare, you can also install XP or Vista for the odd application that might require Windows. And if you get a virus in your VM, it won't kill your system.

For a little background, I owned Macs and developed software for them for over 15 years now. I also own PC(s) and develop software for them for even longer. There was a time, around when XP came out, where Windows was vastly superior to MacOS 8/9 and even the early edition of MacOS X. But having to use both on a daily basis these days, OS X is superior in almost every way. I mean, Vista manages to get in your way no matter what you do. And in XP you spend more time rebooting after every weekly system update than actually doing work. I basically use the Mac for everything I can these days. Oh, and we also develop software for the iPhone/iPod Touch, and again, the platform is unbelievable. Easiest thing to program for, very flexible and powerful. And there's going to be a horde of all sorts of third party Apps, Games and Tools coming out for it starting next month (including ours :)). Highly recommendable device.

Sense
06-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Don't spend more than 400.00

and make sure it has a wide screen.

http://www.kentmusictechnology.co.uk/images/Macbook%20Pro%2017%20inch.jpg

if you want something that will last... spend about 700 and up...

400 is ... well crap... unless you add to it... which is hard on laptops....

now if you wanna spend 400 dollars on a laptop... sell them later on.. take mouse's advice

Kyle Smith
06-26-2008, 07:58 PM

now if you wanna spend 400 dollars on a laptop... sell them later on.. take mouse's advice

Plus Macs start at about a grand.

Kyle Smith
06-26-2008, 07:59 PM
just choose on what youd rather see daily... the pc icon/desktop or a mac slide-icon thingy/desktop...

Mac can do both :wakeup

Kyle Smith
06-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Use my head? Use YOUR head and google contractor discount code. Hypothetically...I hear...

:lol:toast

AnotherArgie
07-01-2008, 10:35 PM
thinkpad.

fuck mac.

+1

I love Thinkpads, rugged as hell, great keyboard feeling, run Linux beatifully, and they also have a trackpoint (nipple) as an input device (they also have a touchpad in the newer models).

I tried Macbooks but the keyboard just didn' feel well, the spanish layout was horribly designed (the Enter key was the smallest key in the keyboard, in order to put the Ñ, lame), and I hate touchpads. Oh, and one-button mouse sucks, Thinkpads have 3.

In my case, I appretiate more a good keyboard and a rugged construction.

Heath Ledger
07-01-2008, 10:56 PM
silly rabbit you can use a regular mouse and set it up with right click on a mac, also Macs are hip, come to California you will be convinced.

tp2021
07-02-2008, 02:39 AM
fuck california

AnotherArgie
07-02-2008, 12:19 PM
silly rabbit you can use a regular mouse and set it up with right click on a mac, also Macs are hip, come to California you will be convinced.

What's the point about using a laptop if I have to carry and plug a regular mouse?

mouse
07-02-2008, 11:28 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130233495080&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=003

angelbelow
07-03-2008, 03:36 AM
Dell XPS