PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon 2008

kingsfan
06-23-2008, 12:12 AM
Tennis time again, the best tournament in the world starts in 6 hours :elephant
I just hope it's not another win for Roger. I really think Rafa has a great shot to win it. His whole game, especially on grass has improved dramatically and the last time a man won both the French and Wimby was Borg. It would be great to see him dethrone the champ. He won Queens-grass warm up and from the little bit I saw he looked good. Federer will want to avenge his embarrassing loss in Paris. Outside of those two I doubt anyone else can win except possibly Novak. You can never tell when an upset might occur though. I'd like to see Blake and Roddick do well but not holding my breath on that one.
The ladies is far more wide open. Maria and Williams' sisters are always a threat on grass but Ana has to be a favorite. I have a feeling Venus might win it again, but she tends to beat herself more often than her opponents do.
I hate that ESPN is covering it during the week, their coverage in Paris sucked :depressed
GO RAFA and ANA!!! :toast

dbreiden83080
06-23-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm a Huge Roger fan and i am not going to jump off his bandwagon when he is this close to making history. Hoping he gets his 6th in a row and wins the US open to tie Sampras.

NASpurs
06-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Sweet can't wait for it to start. With the UEFA and WC Qualifying, Wimbledon and the Olympics looming, who says the summer is boring... unless you're into just basketball and football. :lol

kingsfan
06-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Wow Novak's out already :wow A lot of people picked him to beat Rog. Safin hasn't played that well in a while. So far no-one looks dominant,men or women. The top Americans are still in it but I'm having my doubts. as to how far they can go.
What is it with the damn fashion? Serena went on for 10 minutes about coats :lol and they're all talking about Rog's cardigan. This is a tennis tournament not a Paris runway. :sleep

kingsfan
06-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Ana was very lucky today, down match points then got a net cord. She'll have to play better than that. Great day of tennis despite the wind. 3 days with no rain :elephant, going for a record. :lol

1Parker1
06-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Go Roger Go!

:lol And it's classic that after all the talk, Novak gets ousted so early.

carina_gino20
06-26-2008, 12:36 AM
Go Roger Go!

:lol And it's classic that after all the talk, Novak gets ousted so early.

Yeah. That was a shocker. I was watching the Ivanovic match and didn't realize that the Novak-Marat match was on another channel. After all his talk of Roger slowing down, I guess karma bit him in the ass on that one.

carina_gino20
06-26-2008, 12:46 AM
And I can't believe he had the audacity to say this, fourth paragraph from the bottom (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AvW5AHXya0REsyCeJGCGCNw4v7YF?slug=ap-wimbledon&prov=ap&type=lgns), after he got beat. :lol

And damn this AP thing.

Spurtacus
06-26-2008, 05:19 PM
I never thought American Men's tennis could get any lower.

Agassi, please come out of retirement.

dbreiden83080
06-26-2008, 09:19 PM

Why so he can lose in straights to Federer??

kingsfan
06-26-2008, 09:39 PM

There's still Bobby Reynolds :lol At the French I can understand it but on grass Americans should be better than that. God where is Mcenroe,Courier,Agassi when you need them. :bang
The funny part is the commentators/ "experts" were saying this morning that after Rafa, Andy was Roger's toughest challenge :lmao Roddick's game has fallen a lot and Blake isn't far behind him.
Don't make me start rooting for Andy Murray :nope

carina_gino20
06-26-2008, 10:48 PM
:wow Roddick and Sharapova also gone this early in the tournament? :lol And Rafa facing a scare in the 1st set...

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-27-2008, 06:30 AM
:sleep The only Grand Slam to which I can easily fall asleep while watching.

Good news that Marat is back. I just hope he doesn't implode against Seppi and makes a good run deep into the second week.

florige
06-27-2008, 12:15 PM
:wow Roddick and Sharapova also gone this early in the tournament? :lol And Rafa facing a scare in the 1st set...

And that is a surprise why? He constantly gets knocked out of tournaments early, and is HIGHLY overrated. The US is trying to make him out as the next Agassi, or Sampras, and it just isn't happening. ESPN put out a bulletin yesterday "upset at Wimbledon, Sharapova and Roddick lose". Maybe Sharapova losing is an upset, but Roddick.... no surprise. Now a upset on the Men's side would be either Nadal, or Federer getting knocked out before the Final. Especially Federer.

1Parker1
06-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Man, so many big names with early upsets. Nice to see Federer didn't catch the "choking" bug and lose today.

Next week is the real test though, it's going to get a lot tougher.

1Parker1
06-27-2008, 08:46 PM
And I can't believe he had the audacity to say this, fourth paragraph from the bottom (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AvW5AHXya0REsyCeJGCGCNw4v7YF?slug=ap-wimbledon&prov=ap&type=lgns), after he got beat. :lol

And damn this AP thing.

:lol I don't see what you're referring too :pctoss

carina_gino20
06-28-2008, 01:15 AM
:lol I don't see what you're referring too :pctoss

oops, sorry. I don't know why it now links to the Ivanovic-Zheng news. Djokovic talked about how it was common knowledge that Safin loses his cool easily.

Sad to see Ana go, too. Is this the year of the upsets?

carina_gino20
06-28-2008, 01:18 AM
And that is a surprise why? He constantly gets knocked out of tournaments early, and is HIGHLY overrated. The US is trying to make him out as the next Agassi, or Sampras, and it just isn't happening. ESPN put out a bulletin yesterday "upset at Wimbledon, Sharapova and Roddick lose". Maybe Sharapova losing is an upset, but Roddick.... no surprise. Now a upset on the Men's side would be either Nadal, or Federer getting knocked out before the Final. Especially Federer.

I wasn't that surprised with Roddick's exit. I kind of expected that from him and I think he's overrated. Sharapova's was the real shocker.

1Parker1
06-28-2008, 09:33 PM
oops, sorry. I don't know why it now links to the Ivanovic-Zheng news. Djokovic talked about how it was common knowledge that Safin loses his cool easily.

Sad to see Ana go, too. Is this the year of the upsets?

:lol Ahhh, I do remember reading that.

Hopefully, we get to see a Nadal vs Federer final, with of course, Federer winning it all.

I'm not too surprised by Roddick/Ana/Maria losing so early, though I am shocked that Venus/Serena didn't join in on the choking.

Spurtacus
06-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Why so he can lose in straights to Federer??

Its funny how you thought I was serious.

I have little reason to watch the women's side now. Sharapova, Ivanovic, Hantuchova are out.

dbreiden83080
06-28-2008, 09:59 PM

Roddick is washed up, he is not winning another major, i'd be shocked if he did. All these years since he has won the US Open and he is still a 2 trick pony. Big Serve, Huge Forehand, that's about it. The more well rounded players that can play different styles based on how the match is going just keep beating him in these slams and i see that continuing until he retires.

dbreiden83080
06-28-2008, 10:00 PM
I have little reason to watch the women's side now. Sharapova, Ivanovic, Hantuchova are out.

Women's Tennis has very little consistant competiton anymore. Sharapova should be dominating that tour, but she keeps choking to lesser players in these slams.

mystargtr34
06-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Good to see Ancic and Cilic doing well....

Cilic will be a star

And Ancic should hold hope that he was the last guy to beat Fed at Wimbledon...albeit 6 years ago :lol...

Spurtacus
06-29-2008, 12:30 AM
Women's Tennis has very little consistant competiton anymore. Sharapova should be dominating that tour, but she keeps choking to lesser players in these slams.

Jankovic and Kutnetzsova have a chance at #1 by the end of Wimbledon. One of them would make the fourth #1 this year (Henin, Sharapova, Ivanovic). Shows the competition for #1, but no single player is dominating. There's some solid players still in the field, but no one I'm a fan of.

On the men's side I haven't cheered for an American since Agassi. Its depressing to see Roddick and Blake lose early often. I'll go for the underdogs and older guys like Safin and Hewitt. Funny how I use to hate them.

kingsfan
06-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Great day of tennis today, I love manic Monday. Awesome match with Murray and Gasquet. I thought Andy was done after the 2nd but he came back. I know Britain's going nuts right now. Nice to see Safin doing well as he hates the grass.
Rafa can do it but he has to get off to better starts. His 1st sets haven't looked so great and to beat Rog he can't afford to let him get the momentum. I don't see anyone beating either of them until the final.
On the ladies' side it looks like it might be an all Williams' final again. :sleep I said at the beginning Venus would win it and I'm sticking to it. Shame Ana lost but I think the pressure got to her of being #1.
Don't get me started on the American men :bang

polandprzem
06-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Agnieszka will take Serena down!

Spurtacus
07-01-2008, 01:04 AM
Jankovic and Kutnetzsova have a chance at #1 by the end of Wimbledon. One of them would make the fourth #1 this year (Henin, Sharapova, Ivanovic). Shows the competition for #1, but no single player is dominating. There's some solid players still in the field, but no one I'm a fan of.

This post is now worthless.

dbreiden83080
07-01-2008, 01:43 AM
We can basically pencil in Roger and Nadal right now in the finals. Roger is going to come through it on top again. I see a 5 setter but he'll take it.

1Parker1
07-02-2008, 09:22 PM
I agree, it's pretty much going to be Nadal and Federer on Sunday. I think it's going to be a close one, but the fact that it's on grass makes me want to give the edge to Federer. Plus he's been playing amazing this whole tournament.

This is exactly like the French Open, except the roles are reversed. Federer is actually a great clay court player and if it weren't for Nadal, who's arguably the best clay court player ever, Federer would have won a couple French Open titles by now.

On the flip side, I think the arguement that Nadal is a one trick pony on just clay is also misleading. He's also very good on grass and if it weren't for Federer, who's arguable the best tennis player period, I think Nadal could have also won some Wimbledon titles.

We shall see though (**knocks wood). I am rooting for Federer all the way!

kingsfan
07-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Today was total domination by Rafa and Rog. It's amazing how much Rafa's serve has improved. Murray was obviously tired but Rafa didn't give him anything. Good to see Safin still around, it could a big surprise when he plays Rog. His problem is his head, if he can keep his shit together it should be a good match. I'd love to see a Safin-Rafa final. :hungry: Rafa can beat Rog if he plays like he did today but he may have peaked too early. Hopefully not.

dbreiden83080
07-03-2008, 04:49 PM
This is exactly like the French Open, except the roles are reversed. Federer is actually a great clay court player and if it weren't for Nadal, who's arguably the best clay court player ever, Federer would have won a couple French Open titles by now.

That is exactly right and when Fed's career is over, i really hope most people understand this. He is not Pete Sampras on clay, Pete was a terrible clay court player. Losing in the opening and 2nd rds many times. Roger would dimiss Pete with ease on the clay. He is losing to the same great clay courter that everyone else is losing too. Roger is something like 23-0 against everyone else last few years.

carina_gino20
07-04-2008, 04:24 AM
That is exactly right and when Fed's career is over, i really hope most people understand this. He is not Pete Sampras on clay, Pete was a terrible clay court player. Losing in the opening and 2nd rds many times. Roger would dimiss Pete with ease on the clay. He is losing to the same great clay courter that everyone else is losing too. Roger is something like 23-0 against everyone else last few years.

True. He has also reached 17 straight semifinals Grand Slam appearances so that Roger guy is not that bad. It has to be frustrating because it's not like he's a terrible clay player. You don't get to three straight French Open finals if that were the case. Nadal is just better.

Nadal has looked great so far in this tournament, but as much as I'd love to see him win it, Roger just doesn't seem to be slowing down. Still, vamos Rafa! :lol

florige
07-04-2008, 01:11 PM
We can basically pencil in Roger and Nadal right now in the finals. Roger is going to come through it on top again. I see a 5 setter but he'll take it.

I don't know about that one. Nadal came awfully close to beating him last time on grass. I can see Nadal beating him this time around.

1Parker1
07-05-2008, 01:43 PM
I think the fact that Federer got crushed...and so recently at that, by Nadal is going to benefit him. Also, I think Federer's serve which has been outstanding so far at Wimbledon may be the thing that gives him the slightest of edge over Nadal.

misterx91578
07-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Venus wins on the womens side

carina_gino20
07-05-2008, 10:41 PM
I think the fact that Federer got crushed...and so recently at that, by Nadal is going to benefit him. Also, I think Federer's serve which has been outstanding so far at Wimbledon may be the thing that gives him the slightest of edge over Nadal.

I wish people would stop asking Roger about the French Open and people saying that he's losing his edge. It only gives him more reason to beat up Nadal.

dbreiden83080
07-05-2008, 10:45 PM
I wish people would stop asking Roger about the French Open and people saying that he's losing his edge. It only gives him more reason to beat up Nadal.

For all those talking smack about Roger, people need to understand if he wins the final tomorrow, he will walk into the US open with a shot to tie Pete Sampras all time record of 14 slams at just 27 years old. He is far from done.

Spurtacus
07-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Return of the Williams sisters reign at the top?

Can't wait for tomorrow's match. My money is on Federer though. 4 sets.

misterx91578
07-06-2008, 12:45 AM
I'm going with Nadal. Federer has to lose at Wimbledon sometime

Brutalis
07-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Why is Tennis on ESPN? Lame. This is exactly why the NBA or NFL need to always be going - one or the other. Not at the same time. 10 mins of ESPN TV time wasted on some classy pricks.

1Parker1
07-06-2008, 11:31 AM
:pctoss F*CK. This is almost as bad as watching the Spurs lose!

How the HECK did Federer lose Wimbledon against Rafa? I know Nadal is good, but Roger has been playing outstanding this entire tournament, it's his best surface by far, and after not dropping a set and on a 64 game winning streak, he's going to end up losing in 3 STRAIGHT sets?? Nadal is good, but not that good.

Nadal is definitely in his head now. That has to be a big part of the reason. :pctoss Damn, I was rooting for Roger. It's hard to believe this may be the end of an era.

Spurtacus
07-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Wow. Great match so far. Going into the fifth set right now.

Spurtacus
07-06-2008, 01:55 PM
God damn England. F-ing rain again. Match is 2-2 in the fifth.

braeden0613
07-06-2008, 02:03 PM
:pctoss F*CK. This is almost as bad as watching the Spurs lose!

How the HECK did Federer lose Wimbledon against Rafa? I know Nadal is good, but Roger has been playing outstanding this entire tournament, it's his best surface by far, and after not dropping a set and on a 64 game winning streak, he's going to end up losing in 3 STRAIGHT sets?? Nadal is good, but not that good.

Nadal is definitely in his head now. That has to be a big part of the reason. :pctoss Damn, I was rooting for Roger. It's hard to believe this may be the end of an era.
haha nice

Magic_Johnson
07-06-2008, 02:05 PM
it's not gonna end today

Magic_Johnson
07-06-2008, 02:08 PM
they can play one hour, then it's too dark

SAtown
07-06-2008, 02:49 PM
5 - 5, 5th set, Nadal has Federer on a double break point and Federer comes back to save. Crazy match

SAtown
07-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Congrats to Nadal. What an incredible match

SAtown
07-06-2008, 03:17 PM
wtf is Nadal doing? :lol

misterx91578
07-06-2008, 03:22 PM
called the Nadal win

Pistons < Spurs
07-06-2008, 03:35 PM
:clap :clap NADAL :clap :clap

Now maybe he and Federer both can retire so that mens tennis is not so dammed predictable. Those 2 can be penciled in for every tournament. It's getting a bit boring.

I miss the days of Tennis truly being great. Watching Connors, McEnroe, Becker, Lendel, Borg, Wilander, Nastase, Gueralitis, Edberg, Cash. So much competition. Different styles of play. Players with great personalities. Todays tennis is pathetic compared to the game I grew up on.

Spurtacus
07-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Congrats Nadal!

Amuseddaysleeper
07-06-2008, 04:04 PM
oh wow

props to nadal but I really wanted Federer to come back!

1Parker1
07-06-2008, 04:53 PM
:pctoss

Roger Federer era is officially OVER...and in his own words, "This one hurt" :(

dbreiden83080
07-06-2008, 05:35 PM
:pctoss

Roger Federer era is officially OVER...and in his own words, "This one hurt" :(

Why is it over, he is not retiring tomorrow. He has won 4 US open titles in a row heading into this years open where Nadal has never fared very well. He'll be back, an epic back and forth 5 set match that could have gone either way, is the hardly the end of an era.

TheProfessor
07-06-2008, 05:51 PM
:clap :clap NADAL :clap :clap

Now maybe he and Federer both can retire so that mens tennis is not so dammed predictable. Those 2 can be penciled in for every tournament. It's getting a bit boring.

I miss the days of Tennis truly being great. Watching Connors, McEnroe, Becker, Lendel, Borg, Wilander, Nastase, Gueralitis, Edberg, Cash. So much competition. Different styles of play. Players with great personalities. Todays tennis is pathetic compared to the game I grew up on.
You just watched one of the greatest finals in the history of tennis and you're whining about the olden days? :lol

I'm just glad we've left the desert of Roger Federer's invincibility and have a compelling rivalry now.

1Parker1
07-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Why is it over, he is not retiring tomorrow. He has won 4 US open titles in a row heading into this years open where Nadal has never fared very well. He'll be back, an epic back and forth 5 set match that could have gone either way, is the hardly the end of an era.

Meaning his era of complete dominance is over. His whatever amt of weeks as #1 will now be over soon with this loss. Do you realize until this year the guy lost on average 8 tournaments a year? This year, he already has that much. Not to mention, he's now either failed to reach or lost in the last three grand slams (Aussie Open, French Open, and now Wimbledon).

Don't get me wrong, I do still believe that he's going to catch Sampras's record of 14. I also still believe that Men's tennis is still basically a 3 way game between Djokovic, Federer, and Nadal. That being said, I think the problem we saw is that Federer has peaked, he can't exactly get any better than he is at now. Meanwhile, he's two closest competitors have gotten a lot better over the last year or so.

Grass is Federer's by far strongest court, yet Nadal came in here and knocked him out and that was against Federer's best.

1Parker1
07-06-2008, 06:03 PM
I will say this, I think it's high time Federer hired a coach. What do you guys think?

kingsfan
07-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Wow incredible match. I've been watching tennis a long time and that has to be 1 of the best I've ever seen. Congrats Rafa, he never gave up. I'm very happy he won :clap:elephant I was sick of Rog winning every year. I missed the end b/c of the stupid rain(the new roof can't come soon enough for me) and I had to work but they're reshowing it on ESPNclassic tomorrow night so hopefully I can catch the end. It's been a great week for Spain.
I think the Federer era might be over also. I'm not saying he won't anymore majors but Rafa knows he can beat him and the momentum has swung. It remind me a lot of the Borg-McEnroe rivalry. Borg knew in his heart that his domination had ended so he walked away. Federer won't but I seriously doubt he will ever win the French now and his best chance will be the USOpen.
They both played so well though it's a shame someone has to lose. I loved the fact that Rafa even went out to sign autographs after the match when he must have been exhausted. I said Rafa and Venus would win and I'm not right very often so I'll enjoy it. :toast

dbreiden83080
07-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Meaning his era of complete dominance is over. His whatever amt of weeks as #1 will now be over soon with this loss. Do you realize until this year the guy lost on average 8 tournaments a year? This year, he already has that much. Not to mention, he's now either failed to reach or lost in the last three grand slams (Aussie Open, French Open, and now Wimbledon).

Don't get me wrong, I do still believe that he's going to catch Sampras's record of 14. I also still believe that Men's tennis is still basically a 3 way game between Djokovic, Federer, and Nadal. That being said, I think the problem we saw is that Federer has peaked, he can't exactly get any better than he is at now. Meanwhile, he's two closest competitors have gotten a lot better over the last year or so.

Grass is Federer's by far strongest court, yet Nadal came in here and knocked him out and that was against Federer's best.

Well watching this match today i knew that if Roger won the media would all say, "The best ever pulled it out again what a performance" and if he lost they would say "It is the end of his era". I really think Roger is fine. Yes you are right about this season not being as great as his others however he started the year sick with Mono and i think if he was healthy he would have won the Aussie Open again. He probably won't win the French although i think it is a stretch to think Nadal will win 3 or 4 more in a row there, he is going to get beat eventually. Nadal played about as well as he could play in that match and Roger for the first 2 sets really didn't. He could have won that in 4 sets today, he blew that 2nd set big time and he had tons of chances to finish off Nadal in that 5th set. I really feel he will win the US open as he will be insanely motivated to do so and end his year on a high note. Nadal as great as he is still has a lot to prove on the hard courts where his game i feel does not translate well. I also don't see him having a long career because of his physical style of play, he already at age 22 is having knee problems. I think with a little coaching and a few changes Roger can get back to dominating the majors next year. He's only 26, Pete won his last one at age 31.

dbreiden83080
07-06-2008, 06:19 PM
I will say this, I think it's high time Federer hired a coach. What do you guys think?

Yes he really needs a full time coach now and there are plenty of great candidates out there for him to hire. Maybe he should talk to Brad Gilbert or even Pete Sampras old coach Paul Annacone. He needs someone with him full time, i think he should concede to that as it should be beneficial.

1Parker1
07-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Yes he really needs a full time coach now and there are plenty of great candidates out there for him to hire. Maybe he should talk to Brad Gilbert or even Pete Sampras old coach Paul Annacone. He needs someone with him full time, i think he should concede to that as it should be beneficial.

Yea, I definitely feel like he's getting a little too stubborn and set in his ways to adjust to other players he's facing.

Though I just think Nadal is just a bad matchup for him, period. His superior athleticism, strength, and quickness is not something a lot of other players in Men's tennis have. Federer's game is based more on finess and smoothness. I couldn't tell you how many forehand corner winners I saw from Federer today that against ANYONE else would have been winners, but against a guy as quick and strong as Nadal, they ended up as another shot in a volley. Nadal was just all over the court today. Crazy!

1Parker1
07-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Well watching this match today i knew that if Roger won the media would all say, "The best ever pulled it out again what a performance" and if he lost they would say "It is the end of his era". I really think Roger is fine. Yes you are right about this season not being as great as his others however he started the year sick with Mono and i think if he was healthy he would have won the Aussie Open again. He probably won't win the French although i think it is a stretch to think Nadal will win 3 or 4 more in a row there, he is going to get beat eventually. Nadal played about as well as he could play in that match and Roger for the first 2 sets really didn't. He could have won that in 4 sets today, he blew that 2nd set big time and he had tons of chances to finish off Nadal in that 5th set. I really feel he will win the US open as he will be insanely motivated to do so and end his year on a high note. Nadal as great as he is still has a lot to prove on the hard courts where his game i feel does not translate well. I also don't see him having a long career because of his physical style of play, he already at age 22 is having knee problems. I think with a little coaching and a few changes Roger can get back to dominating the majors next year. He's only 26, Pete won his last one at age 31.

Well, I think it's going to be hard for him to go back to dominating the majors. You know that as long as Nadal is healthy for the French, that's one major Federer almost has no chance of winning. Also, you have to wonder about the mental affects not just this Wimbledon loss, but the embarassing French Open loss has on Federer.

1Parker1
07-06-2008, 06:35 PM
I will say that I absolutely loved Federer's sportsmanship and Nadal's humility that they showed after the match for eachother. Novak could learn a little something from them.

leemajors
07-06-2008, 07:29 PM
i was a little confused about Federer not serving and volleying more, kinda played into Nadal's strength. Either way, with Federer serving that poorly it was just a matter of time. Looked like he just ran out of gas.

tlongII
07-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Great match! I think Roger is in decline now which is a good thing for me. I have a tennis ball autographed by Andre Agassi and it wouldn't be worth as much if Roger were to win the French.

Spurtacus
07-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Great match! I think Roger is in decline now which is a good thing for me. I have a tennis ball autographed by Andre Agassi and it wouldn't be worth as much if Roger were to win the French.

Uh....

:lol

:rolleyes

L.I.T
07-06-2008, 09:16 PM

Federer hired Jose Higueras earlier this year I believe.

dbreiden83080
07-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Federer hired Jose Higueras earlier this year I believe.

Yes but it was just for the French i think. He seems to be stubborn about his game and probably does not love taking advice on how to attack his opponents Can't really blame him hell he has 12 GS titles. I think he needs to make some changes and a full time coach that he trusts should be one of them. A fresh perspective may be needed.

Amuseddaysleeper
07-06-2008, 10:41 PM
I will say that I absolutely loved Federer's sportsmanship and Nadal's humility that they showed after the match for eachother. Novak could learn a little something from them.

:tu

I also think that Federer may need a coach. The amount of unforced errors he was hitting was staggering. I will also say one other thing....

Not to rain on Nadal's parade, as his forehand winners were a thing of beauty, but considering he only got broken ONCE the entire match, it's pretty remarkable on Federer's behalf to push the game for as long as he did. I can see why people feel that Federer is in decline, but let's not forget that he had a brutal stomach virus prior to the Australian open, and that like 1Parker1 said back on page 1, Nadal is arguably the greatest clay court player this sport has ever seen. Of the last 17 Grand Slams, Roger has never done worse than the semi-finals. Meaning, he's almost ALWAYS going to be there in the end.

Mark my words, Federer will win the US Open. I think Nadal has narrowed the gap tremendously after today's epic win (some would say he's overtaken Roger, but I'll see after the US Open), but I would still take Federer on any surface that isn't clay.

It took Nadal the performance of his lifetime to beat Federer who had his worst non-clay finals appearance....yet he still took it to 5 sets and pushed the final set to 9 games. I hope this loss haunts Federer for a long time to come. Maybe he got too bored/relaxed dominating the sport so thoroughly. Now that Nadal has gotten the #1 ranking, Federer should come back guns blazing in the next grand slam.

1Parker1
07-06-2008, 10:56 PM
i was a little confused about Federer not serving and volleying more, kinda played into Nadal's strength. Either way, with Federer serving that poorly it was just a matter of time. Looked like he just ran out of gas.

Really? I actually thought Federer's serve was what ended up keeping him in the game for so long. I just was very surprised by how excellent Nadal's service game was today...I definitely didn't expect that and I think that's a big reason why he was able to win. The service game was supposed to be one of the things that gave Federer the edge of Nadal on grass, but Nadal ended up pretty much matching him on % points there.

Federer's inability to break Nadal's serve is what cost him, plus I think Nadal's sheer strength and athletic advantage over Federer. Also his backhand was shaky at best at certain points, and he seemed to hesitate on going around and hitting a forehand or just slicing it with his backhand at some points and that cost him some points early on in the 1st and 2nd sets.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Fun match to watch, even if you're like me and don't really follow tennis.

dbreiden83080
07-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Federer's inability to break Nadal's serve is what cost him, plus I think Nadal's sheer strength and athletic advantage over Federer. Also his backhand was shaky at best at certain points, and he seemed to hesitate on going around and hitting a forehand or just slicing it with his backhand at some points and that cost him some points early on in the 1st and 2nd sets.

I don't think Nadal is a better athlete than Roger. He is bigger but he doesn't strike the ball harder, Roger has the bigger forehand and Nadal has the bigger backhand. Roger consistantly strikes the ball harder and gets it in much more consistant than Nadal on serve. His serve is also more versatile, he can hit the lines on the slice out wide or right up the middle more consistantly. From what i have seen Roger has better hand eye coordination. They both move like cats out there, running down countless balls it is insane. Nadal is more physical the way he likes to grind points out but Roger has a feel for the game like nobody i have ever seen. That is one of the reasons Nadal is not as of yet a great hard court player, winning US Opens. Grinding pts out on the hard stuff really takes it's toll in a best of 5 set grand slam at the end of the season. On the Clay, he gives Roger so much trouble because he has that big time Western forehand grip and he goes after the Roger backhand over and over again and it bounces so high, Roger finds himself in too many defensive positions. The grass, he does not have the edge as much as the ball stays far lower, but it still skids off the surface a lot, and Nadal has learned how to play a more consistant game at the baseline on the grass, going for less, picking and choosing his spots to attack. When he attacks, the only one that can handle it and beat him 3 sets is Roger. Nobody else has the stamina or shotmaking ability to do it right now. Nadal also is starting to go for more on his serve. However Roger's game is still better suited for grass dominance. He serves bigger and is just as great a shotmaker as Nadal. Maybe not on the dead run, but in a normal paced rally he is as good or better at finding the angles and putting shots away or getting his man on the defensive. He also is much better at net, something he needed to use more of today. I feel like Roger let this get away, he should have had the 2nd set, and he did not cash in on countless break pt chances. I don't think Nadal is better than him on grass, i feel if given the chance to play again next year, Roger will avenge this loss.

Horry For 3!
07-07-2008, 12:16 AM
What has happened to Federer? He was really dominate until this year now its all Nadal.

dbreiden83080
07-07-2008, 12:25 AM
What has happened to Federer? He was really dominate until this year now its all Nadal.

Nothing really has happened to him, he lost a match today that he easily could have won. The French Open, Nadal is probably the best of all time on clay, so that was expected he would lose there. Roger is still the best hard court player in the world, 4 times in a row US open champ. He will win the US open and get back on track, he still has a lot left. I still think Federer can win 17 or 18 GS titles.

Kobulingam
07-07-2008, 12:47 AM
Fed isn't at his absolute peak yet. He had the friggen kissing disease (mono) this year and as far as I'm concerned, this is a write off year.

Anything significant he wins this year is just bonus.

Spurtacus
07-07-2008, 01:49 AM
Too much Federer talk....not enough credit going to Nadal. Up next, the Olympics.

zech
07-07-2008, 04:17 AM
if the nadal would hit the ball as hard as federer did,the match would be over in 3 sets,federer's serve saved him from embarassment especially in tie breaks,but anyway,the best player of the two won,its clear to me that nadal is federer's worst matchup,he just can't solve him and hes(nadal) peaking up while federer is decling,nadal might even end up with more slams than federer if he doesn't get injured.

1Parker1
07-07-2008, 07:36 AM
^:lmao @ the idea that Nadal may end up winning more slams than Federer. Unless you think that Nadal can win 9 or 10 more French Opens.

dbreiden83080
07-07-2008, 09:57 AM
nadal might even end up with more slams than federer if he doesn't get injured.

No chance in hell at that. Roger will be a favorite to win the US open and that would give him 13 at 26 years old. I'd be shocked if he can't get 16 or 17 before he is all done.

tlongII
07-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Isn't Nadal something like 10 - 2 against Federer on hard courts? The only surface he's had problems on is grass and it seems like he has that solved now. I could easily see him winning more GS's than Federer. Dude is only 21.

leemajors
07-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Really? I actually thought Federer's serve was what ended up keeping him in the game for so long. I just was very surprised by how excellent Nadal's service game was today...I definitely didn't expect that and I think that's a big reason why he was able to win. The service game was supposed to be one of the things that gave Federer the edge of Nadal on grass, but Nadal ended up pretty much matching him on % points there.

looked to me like federer's first serve % was pretty low for him. When he was actually able to get his first serve in he won pretty quickly.

dbreiden83080
07-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Isn't Nadal something like 10 - 2 against Federer on hard courts? The only surface he's had problems on is grass and it seems like he has that solved now. I could easily see him winning more GS's than Federer. Dude is only 21.

Fed is 3-2 lifetime against Nadal on Hard courts and at the Aussie Open, while Fed came in still sick recovering from Mono and lost in the semis to Novak Djokovic the clear cut 3rd best player in the world, Nadal in the Semis lost a straight set beating at the hands of a journeyman named Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. A guy who right now is sporting a career record of 33 -21. Federer in a million years is not losing to a guy like that on a hard court. By the time Nadal gets to the US open he is usually too beat up to do much of anything. His game is physical and grinding, not smooth and easy like Roger's. Last year he lost to David Ferrer in the 4th RD, a guy who has never come close to a GS title and who Federer would whip badly on a hard court. I don't give Nadal much of a chance at the US Open. He is great this time of year and he eeked out a great win yesterday to take Roger's crown at Wimbledon, but i fully expect for Roger to be hoisting number 13 at the US open in August.

1Parker1
07-07-2008, 03:48 PM

Federer has accumlated his 12 Grand Slams by winning a combination of Wimbledon, US Open, & Aussie Open, he did this consistently for the last 3-5years or so. So far Nadal has only shown he can consistently win in dominating fashion over a long period of time at the French Open. When he can win the Wimbledon more than once or twice and contend for the US and Aussie Opens then we can talk about him possibly catching Federer's 12 grand slams. I honestly don't see it happening.

dbreiden83080
07-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Federer has accumlated his 12 Grand Slams by winning a combination of Wimbledon, US Open, & Aussie Open, he did this consistently for the last 3-5years or so. So far Nadal has only shown he can consistently win in dominating fashion over a long period of time at the French Open. When he can win the Wimbledon more than once or twice and contend for the US and Aussie Opens then we can talk about him possibly catching Federer's 12 grand slams. I honestly don't see it happening.

Exactly, When Nadal has 3 Aussie Opens, 4 US Opens and 4 more Wimbledons we can talk about him and Federer being in the same class all time. I don't see his game being one that will ever dominate on the Hard Courts. Maybe he gets 1 or 2 GS titles there but i doubt he'll ever dominate like Fed has and i believe still will. I think Roger can win 6 or 7 US opens.

Penya
07-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Dude is only 21.

He might reach Nš1 in Flushing Meadows. It'd be really awesome.

Alain
07-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Unfortunately, human body limitations will prevent him from having a long and healthy carreer.
:stirpot:

mavsfan1000
07-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Vamos Rafa. King of clay and now the King of Grass. Dethroning Federer was a beauty to watch. :)