PDA

View Full Version : Trash the Draft and Stash Strategy

wildbill2u
06-23-2008, 11:05 AM
With more teams in Europe becoming financially able to to outbid/compete with NBA rookie payscales, the draft and stash strategy has lost all its allure/rationale. Saving first round money on some developmental or longshot player who might become a star is not feasible any longer. Some might say it has been a failure anyway since most of the stashees aren't even close to playing yet for the Spurs.

Additionally, this week the agents of two players, Gallinari and Asik, announced that their clients were considering offers of high paying long term contracts with their respective teams. Both players' positions in mock drafts immediately moved down because of the uncertainty. That in itself might be a further inducement for them to sign with their home team.

Put aside the players natural nationalism and desire to remain among friends/relatives and you still have young players whose immediate financial prospects may be better in Europe than in the NBA. And you can't predict their future

Many young players will opt for the immediate money, saying, "Don't talk to me about pie in the sky prospects in the NBA years from now, show me the money!"

The Spurs need to recognize that the days of saving first round money with draft and stash are over.

Ocotillo
06-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Yeah, the new strategy may be for low first round picks to go domestic projects and stash them with the Toros.

Pistons < Spurs
06-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Yeah, the new strategy may be for low first round picks to go domestic projects and stash them with the Toros.

Exactly. You use the first 2 years of their careers by sticking them in the D league.

SenorSpur
06-23-2008, 11:13 AM
The economic decline of the US Dollar versus the Euro have only aided in the diminished viability of this strategy.

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2008, 11:14 AM
This doesn't necessarily hold true with all international prospects. It has worked out rather well with Mahinmi thusfar.

The Spurs may rethink the timing on when they bring an international prospect over. It might be worth it to bring them in immediately and assign them to the Toros rather than wait.

VaSpursFan
06-23-2008, 11:22 AM
The economic decline of the US Dollar versus the Euro have only aided in the diminished viability of this strategy.

+1. it all comes down to economics. the league that offers the contract with the most money, gets the player. it's just like the splitter situation. if a team drafts and stashes a guy who becomes good, given the NBA pay scale, it's going to be hard for any NBA team to compete.

wildbill2u
06-23-2008, 11:27 AM
This doesn't necessarily hold true with all international prospects. It has worked out rather well with Mahinmi thusfar.

The Spurs may rethink the timing on when they bring an international prospect over. It might be worth it to bring them in immediately and assign them to the Toros rather than wait.

It's only worked with Mahimi because his French team didn't make a big offer to keep, perhaps because they didn't play him much and didn't value him highly.

I agree on the timing. If they draft someone like Ibaka, they better be ready to bring him on board in some form immediately because they'll lose the pick if he develops overseas into a player the foreign teams want to keep.

Basketball players are now a global commodity with market values. Who'd a thunk it?

JamStone
06-23-2008, 12:03 PM

Compared to what?

Mahinmi was drafted in the same class as David Lee and Ronny Turiaf, both of whom were drafted after Mahinmi. Has it really worked out "rather well" with Mahinmi compared to possible alternatives based on what the Spurs could have done on that draft day?

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Compared to what?

Mahinmi was drafted in the same class as David Lee and Ronny Turiaf, both of whom were drafted after Mahinmi. Has it really worked out "rather well" with Mahinmi compared to possible alternatives based on what the Spurs could have done on that draft day?

They didn't have room for a pick to come in. Hence, draft and stash. He'll be better than both of those anyways.

TheTruth
06-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Compared to what?

Well, the Spurs have won 2 championships since that draft.

TheProfessor
06-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Just so no one freaks out if we draft either of them, Serge Ibaka told the Salt Lake Tribune he'll stay in Spain another year if his team wants him to, but he's amenable to coming over now. Ajinca wants to come over immediately. So drafting either of these guys doesn't necessitate draft and stash.

Bruno
06-23-2008, 12:40 PM
I don't see Spurs doing a "draft and stash" at #26. But they could do it at #45 or #57 and I won't have nothing against that.
Spurs won't have an unlimited number of roster spots available next year.

SenorSpur
06-23-2008, 12:44 PM
I don't see Spurs doing a "draft and stash" at #26. But they could do it at #45 or #57 and I won't have nothing against that.
Spurs won't have an unlimited number of roster spots available next year.

If they get what they want @ #26 and #45, they can afford to allow the choice at #57 to develop. Look for an international player at that spot.

JamStone
06-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Well, the Spurs have won 2 championships since that draft.

Because of Ian Mahinmi?

That's like saying Darko Milicic was the right draft pick in 2003 for the Pistons because they won a title that following year.

JamStone
06-23-2008, 12:46 PM
They didn't have room for a pick to come in. Hence, draft and stash. He'll be better than both of those anyways.

Teams always have room for a pick to come in. It was Holt's refusal to pay luxury tax. And, there's absolutely no guarantee that Mahinmi will be better than either or both.

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2008, 12:48 PM
I don't believe the lux tax was a concern in 2005-06.

JamStone
06-23-2008, 12:53 PM
I don't believe the lux tax was a concern in 2005-06.

Then what? Are you saying the Spurs couldn't buy out Sean Marks' $800,000 contract to open a roster spot up?

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Why would they have done that?

Bruno
06-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Compared to what?

It's a stupid way to judge a pick. You can almost always find a better player drafted after one.
So Tayshaun Prince was a bad pick because Boozer has been drafted after him ?

timvp
06-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Because of Ian Mahinmi?

That's like saying Darko Milicic was the right draft pick in 2003 for the Pistons because they won a title that following year.

Carmelo Anthony definitely was a better pick than Darko.

But, probably wouldn't have made the Pistons much better. In fact, probably would have made the Pistons worse.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2585361&postcount=10

timvp
06-23-2008, 01:07 PM
I'm not against draft-n-stash on a whole. However, it depends on the scenario. If the Spurs are drafting a player from a league that doesn't pay its players that much money, then it makes sense. If it's a second round pick the Spurs are drafting-n-stashing, that's fine.

JamStone
06-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Would David Lee or Ronny Turiaf made the Spurs worse?

Looking back, Carmelo wasn't the right pick either. It should have been Chris Bosh.

What I said about Carmelo is very likely true. That doesn't mean Darko was the right pick.

JamStone
06-23-2008, 01:37 PM
It's a stupid way to judge a pick. You can almost always find a better player drafted after one.
So Tayshaun Prince was a bad pick because Boozer has been drafted after him ?

Not my point.

I was questioning the notion that "Ian Mahinmi has worked out rather well."

I asked, "compared to what?"

Whether he's worked out well or not is still yet to be determined anyway.

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2008, 01:39 PM
Probably not. Spurs were enamored with Mahinmi and didn't have the room for a rookie the next season. So, draft and stash...

timvp
06-23-2008, 01:39 PM
Would David Lee or Ronny Turiaf made the Spurs worse?Would Carmelo have made the Pistons worse?

JamStone
06-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Would Carmelo have made the Pistons worse?

My point in the quote you posted of mine was that picking Carmelo probably would have changed the course of the 2003-04 season. First, he probably doesn't get much playing time under Larry Brown. And, if Carmelo doesn't get playing time, he could have very well been a problem in the locker room. And, drafting Carmelo could have also changed the prospects of trading for Rasheed.

If any of those things happen or any combination of those things, the Pistons likely don't win the 2004 title, and yes, they would have been worse that year, the only championship year the core of this Pistons team had.

angelbelow
06-23-2008, 03:49 PM
im sure our FO is aware.