06-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Talented.

Bronze.

xtremesteven33
06-23-2008, 11:39 AM
Ole,Ole.Ole,Ole

JamStone
06-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Thin in the post. An injury to Howard or Bosh really hurts the team.

Would replace Prince or Redd with Tyson Chandler.

1Parker1
06-23-2008, 12:06 PM
What if Howard/Bosh get in foul trouble...?

tlongII
06-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Thin in the post. An injury to Howard or Bosh really hurts the team.

Would replace Prince or Redd with Tyson Chandler.

Agreed. The team needs more rebounding.

rAm
06-23-2008, 12:20 PM
What happened to the need for outside shooters / role players to compete with the international rules? I thought we found out that just putting a bunch of athletic all-stars together just won't cut it anymore.

JamStone
06-23-2008, 12:35 PM
What happened to the need for outside shooters / role players to compete with the international rules? I thought we found out that just putting a bunch of athletic all-stars together just won't cut it anymore.

This is a different team. While LeBron, Wade, and Carmelo were on the 2004 Olympic team, they were NBA rookies and hardly played. They are superstars. Team USA isn't strolling out Richard Jefferson, Lamar Odom, and Stephon Marbury. It's Kobe, LeBron, Carmelo, and Dwight Howard. Quite different than just some "athletic all-stars" being out there. Those are legit superstars that will actually be getting playing time this time around.

And, unlike Jefferson, Marion, Odom, those guys can consistently hit jump shots. They might not be deadly three point shooters, but everyone on the current squad except for Dwight Howard and Jason Kidd are good jump shooters. Also consider that the Olympic three point shot is a couple feet closer, so a guy like Wade can make those shots as well.

monosylab1k
06-23-2008, 12:40 PM
it's pretty surprising to see such a lack of post players. I mean, in the World Championships a couple years ago they lost to Greece because that fat Greek guy was killing them in the post.

I can see this team missing out on gold again. Especially if Manu is healthy enough to play for Argentina.

stretch
06-23-2008, 12:45 PM
This is a different team. While LeBron, Wade, and Carmelo were on the 2004 Olympic team, they were NBA rookies and hardly played. They are superstars. Team USA isn't strolling out Richard Jefferson, Lamar Odom, and Stephon Marbury. It's Kobe, LeBron, Carmelo, and Dwight Howard. Quite different than just some "athletic all-stars" being out there. Those are legit superstars that will actually be getting playing time this time around.

And, unlike Jefferson, Marion, Odom, those guys can consistently hit jump shots. They might not be deadly three point shooters, but everyone on the current squad except for Dwight Howard and Jason Kidd are good jump shooters. Also consider that the Olympic three point shot is a couple feet closer, so a guy like Wade can make those shots as well.

This year, Kidd was the king of the league at hitting threes just inside the 3pt line. I think he will thrive with the shorter 3pt line :lol

monosylab1k
06-23-2008, 12:47 PM
This year, Kidd was the king of the league at hitting threes just inside the 3pt line. I think he will thrive with the shorter 3pt line :lol

he'll find a way to get his foot on that line too.

stretch
06-23-2008, 12:48 PM
I just dont like having Carmello on the team. The guy plays no defense, and has a terrible attitude.

But if we run a great trap defense, I see US murding all competition. That trap defense and getting easy buckets from it is very vital. We gotta keep our bigs out of foul trouble as much as possible, and we have guys who are great at creating steals and trapping opponents (CP3, Kobe, Kidd, Wade, Prince, Lebron)

our perimeter players defense is VERY important.

Red Hawk #21
06-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Prince really disappointed me this year with his play vs the Celts. Hopefully he does better in the Olympics. And why the F should Carmelo Anthony be playing PF?!

rAm
06-23-2008, 12:54 PM

True, I just feel that throwing one defensive stopper (ala Battier/Bowen) and one knock-em-dead shooter (ala Korver / I don't fucking know) would round the team off well enough where we could adapt to whatever those crazy europeans throw at us.

stretch
06-23-2008, 12:58 PM
True, I just feel that throwing one defensive stopper (ala Battier/Bowen) and one knock-em-dead shooter (ala Korver / I don't fucking know) would round the team off well enough where we could adapt to whatever those crazy europeans throw at us.

i definitley would love Bruce Bowen being on the team. and perhaps JJ Reddick would be great for a shooter kind of guy.

monosylab1k
06-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Shane Battier should be on this team. I can't recall how he played last year, was he disappointing? Did he withdraw from the team already? It's even more surprising he isn't there because of the Coach K connection.

stretch
06-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Shane Battier should be on this team. I can't recall how he played last year, was he disappointing? Did he withdraw from the team already? It's even more surprising he isn't there because of the Coach K connection.

Yea i liked battier being on there.

as for my last post about a shooter, i forgot we have Redd, so i think that solves that problem.

i would love Bowen though for the defense and that easy corner 3. i think it should be a no brainer that he be on the team.

Brutalis
06-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Nobody cares anymore. Olympic basketball popularity isn't half of what it used to be. Pointless tourney. Good luck not getting injured.

tlongII
06-23-2008, 01:03 PM
it's pretty surprising to see such a lack of post players. I mean, in the World Championships a couple years ago they lost to Greece because that fat Greek guy was killing them in the post.

I can see this team missing out on gold again. Especially if Manu is healthy enough to play for Argentina.

The USA might lose, but it won't be to Argentina.

InRareForm
06-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Nobody cares anymore. Olympic basketball popularity isn't half of what it used to be. Pointless tourney. Good luck not getting injured.

With the lack of sports entertainment this summer, I care.

JamStone
06-23-2008, 01:46 PM

Battier probably would be on the team instead of Prince if he wasn't having surgery this summer. Bowen was soured by his experience, and quite frankly, I don't think he's better than Battier and Prince, especially when you talk about overall contribution. Plus, Kobe will play the role of defensive stopper on the perimeter for much of the tournament.

As far as a knock-em-dead shooter, Michael Redd is on the team.

jack sommerset
06-23-2008, 02:22 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8230584?MSNHPHMA

C Howard/Bosh
PF Anthony/Boozer
SF Lebron/Prince
SG Kobe/Wade/Redd
PG Paul/Deron/Kidd

Pretty good

xtremesteven33
06-23-2008, 02:48 PM
the USA will not win the Gold this year.

Book it.

stretch
06-23-2008, 02:52 PM
the USA will win the Gold this year.

Book it.

fixed

sribb43
06-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Melo = Bronze

tlongII
06-23-2008, 02:57 PM
I don't know why Jason Kidd is on the team.

Red Hawk #21
06-23-2008, 02:59 PM

Who do you think should have been there in his place?

xtremesteven33
06-23-2008, 03:02 PM
fixed

-Boozer needs "basketball for dummys"
-no real bigs besides Howard.
-the zone defense will contain penetration
-Kobe and Redd are only pure shooters

i make a prediction.......

the team goes where Howard goes.

stretch
06-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Who do you think should have been there in his place?

No one, because his IQ and ability to run an offense is unsurpassed. ive never seen any PG ever with his overall IQ, awareness, and ability to run an offense. he still found a way to average over 9 assists in that horrible, motionless offense of Avery.

now other players have had more offensive skills, such as Nash, Stockton, and Zeke, (some may wonder why i didnt say Magic, but IMO Magic's "skills" were overrated, as i dont think he was any more skilled than Zeke or Nash, and the reason he was a special player was due to his ability to run PG in such a large body, but there isnt a single pass that if you took his height away, that guys like Nash, Stockton, and Kidd couldnt make. Magic was not a very good shooter either, and a piss-poor defender) and those skills will only make things easier when running an offense. despite not having their types skills, Kidd still could run an offense just as good, if not better than any of those guys. i think that speaks voulmes for his natural ability to pass, read defenses, and lead teams.

Kidd is one of, if not the most highest IQ player the league has seen.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-23-2008, 03:23 PM
-no real bigs besides Howard.

So then what is Bosh?

xtremesteven33
06-23-2008, 03:26 PM
So then what is Bosh?

Bosh:

-not a great post up player
-not a good defender
-not a great rebounder
-too skinny

not a "real" big

ajh18
06-23-2008, 05:12 PM
I think Al Jefferson would have helped this team. He and Howard would have been a nice offense/defense rotation.

Medvedenko
06-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Should have picked up bynum if he was healthy.

Indazone
06-23-2008, 05:30 PM

Cause he's from Dallas which makes him...

America, eatin' my lunch from a single bowl in my parents basement, where I'm livin'. Happy Birthday, I'm forty-three.

Don't want to waste those precious calories...chewin'. Jesus come move my jaw for me, help me get my sloppy food down my throat.