PDA

View Full Version : A question for the gym rats here

florige
06-23-2008, 01:28 PM
What is your biggest pet peeve when it comes to dealing with the people at a public gym?

1) People Leaving the machines sweaty
2) Leaving tons of weight on the equipment
3) Sitting or standing in way of a machine just holding a conversation
4) People having favorite pieces of cardio equipment that they just HAVE to have when they come.
5)While you are on a piece of equipment that someone else who wants to use it just stands there looking at you instead of doing something else until you are done.
6) Something else....

Mine is def number 4. It can be tons of other cardio equipment open in the gym, but they would rather rush you off of it instead of getting on whatever one is available. Thats one of the reasons I go at night before work. Hardly no one there.

ATRAIN
06-23-2008, 01:41 PM
3 is up there. I hate the social idiots that spend hours there. for number 5 all you have to say is, you want to work in? They will usually say no and leave and do something else or they will say yes.

ATRAIN
06-23-2008, 01:43 PM
6. For me is stupid but it makes me shake my head. When you see someone working out totally wrong, with wrong form. Or the guys that arent built walking around like they are. You know the whole arms so big they can't put them down. Ive seen guys outside of the gym walking normal but when in there its like they are inflated. its pretty funny.

MavDynasty
06-23-2008, 01:47 PM
7. When people live shit in the showers...:bang

johnsmith
06-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Hands down, 100%, the most annoying thing to me is the guy that lifts a ton of weight and then just drops it on the floor.

We get it dude, you can lift a lot of weight, no need to make sure everyone sees by making as much noise as possible.

I'm a fairly big guy and lift pretty heavy weights as compared to most at the gym, and I've never once dropped a weight or a bar because of exhaustion, so I know it's not necessary.

florige
06-23-2008, 01:51 PM
6. For me is stupid but it makes me shake my head. When you see someone working out totally wrong, with wrong form. Or the guys that arent built walking around like they are. You know the whole arms so big they can't put them down. Ive seen guys outside of the gym walking normal but when in there its like they are inflated. its pretty funny.

That is pretty funny. But as long as they stay out my way I could care less.

3 is up there. I hate the social idiots that spend hours there. for number 5 all you have to say is, you want to work in? They will usually say no and leave and do something else or they will say yes.

If there is a piece of equipment that I want to use that someone else is on I'll just go on to whatever I was going to do next. But by me going at night I rarely have to worry about that.

DannyT
06-23-2008, 01:51 PM
number six for me is when the fat bitch doing sit-ups displays her toe...I cant help but fall off the treadmill every time i see this

mardigan
06-23-2008, 01:53 PM
number six for me is when the fat bitch doing sit-ups displays her toe...I cant help but fall off the treadmill every time i see this

Yea, the fat ladies in spandex can ruin my day.
I also hate the people that flitter from one machine to the next, seemingly trying to put in about 30 seconds on every machine in the gym.

johnsmith
06-23-2008, 01:55 PM
How about "way too much cologne guy"?

Or, "high school kid flexing in front of the mirror".

Or, "ambiguously gay guy doing hanging leg raises while holding his t-shirt by his teeth in order to see his abs guy".

johnsmith
Cell phone on the treadmill guy.

SequSpur
:lmao at toe...

Why do you feel rushed? Fuck em.. Nobody can rush me, you need to learn how to care about what you do instead of others..

I don't like dudes walking around naked in the men's bathroom. That's fucking gay. Wrap a towel around you or something... fricking homos...

johnsmith
06-23-2008, 01:56 PM
locker room naked guy

florige
06-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Hands down, 100%, the most annoying thing to me is the guy that lifts a ton of weight and then just drops it on the floor.

We get it dude, you can lift a lot of weight, no need to make sure everyone sees by making as much noise as possible.

I'm a fairly big guy and lift pretty heavy weights as compared to most at the gym, and I've never once dropped a weight or a bar because of exhaustion, so I know it's not necessary.

Thats all in them trying to show off for everyone like you said. It is a guy at my gym who when he lifts grunts so freakin loud you can hear that cocksucker all the way down stairs when you first come in the door. It got so bad they had to put up a sign. People are not trying to hear that crap.

johnsmith
06-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Early 90's parachute pants and tiny pink tanktop guy.

ATRAIN
06-23-2008, 02:04 PM
locker room naked guy

LOL yeah some of these guys dont know what towels are.

SequSpur
06-23-2008, 02:04 PM
real men of genius............

to21
06-23-2008, 02:06 PM
I hate when there's not enuff good looking, sweaty, trim.

Why in the hell would I go to a gym for? To work out? Hell no..........

florige
06-23-2008, 02:06 PM
How about "way too much cologne guy"?

Or, "high school kid flexing in front of the mirror".

Or, "ambiguously gay guy doing hanging leg raises while holding his t-shirt by his teeth in order to see his abs guy".

Geez I'm glad I go at night...:lol I can only imagine the characters that would be there right around the time everyone is getting off. Between 5-7pm.

DannyT
06-23-2008, 02:07 PM
real men of genius............

Mr Naked Locker Roooooooooooooom Guy

DannyT
06-23-2008, 02:08 PM
I hate when there's not enuff good looking, sweaty, trim.

Why in the hell would I go to a gym for? To work out? Hell no..........

thats why I love the Golds on the south side cause they always put out in the sauna

to21
06-23-2008, 02:10 PM
LOL yeah some of these guys dont know what towels are.Sorry, I left my embroidered "Hammer-time" towel at home that day.

florige
06-23-2008, 02:10 PM

lol, They made a sign for that too. "Please be courteous of other members and cover up in the lounge area" I can understand right by your locker, or from the shower to your locker. But to parade around the entire locker room buttball naked is un-called for.

We have a lounge area in my gym. How about the ignorant jerks who feel as though they will sit in the leather chairs soaking freakin wet to watch television? It takes two seconds to dry off. Some people are just so freakin common.

u2sarajevo
06-23-2008, 02:16 PM
I can't stand it when people don't clean equipment when they are done. And by the same token I hate it when the gym wipes run out. That's just disgusting.

I don't care much about people leaving weights on equipment other than I then wonder if someone is in the middle of reps.... so when I see this I hate having to check around to find out if anyone is using the equipment.

The conversation thing doesn't bother me because I just barge in to get to the equipment.

I don't guess I ever see #4. Do they ask you to find another one or something? I would just ignore them probably.

As for #5 I agree with ATRAIN.

So #1 by far for me is the most annoying.

Chief
06-23-2008, 02:21 PM

man tell me about it

I was at gold's once on nacodoches and these 2 ripped guy's were lifting major weight, but they were screaming like banshees while doing it, but they got what they wanted, everyone was looking at them.

Chief
06-23-2008, 02:22 PM

u must shake ur head at me then :D

I try to do the workout as accurately as i can, but sometimes i know i'm doing it slightly wrong, but too embarrassed to ask someone

ATRAIN
06-23-2008, 02:26 PM

I try to do the workout as accurately as i can, but sometimes i know i'm doing it slightly wrong, but too embarrassed to ask someone

Don't be man, people ask me stuff all the time and I show them. No big deal at all. Make friends with some of the regulars and work out with them. Remember everyone starts somewhere, dont be ashamed at all.

mrsmaalox
06-23-2008, 02:26 PM
This funny! Well I hate number 1 the most; that is why I have only ever used "Ladies Only" gyms. I just joined a new gym (went for the first time this morning) and they have a ladies only workout room so we'll see how that works out. Sometimes just looking at those sweaty guys makes me want to puke! #3 the socializers are a pain, especially in the ladies areas; but I usually only use the ellipticals so I just park myself on one and they can wait for me.
I'm very squeamish about the locker room/showers too. I pretty much use my own towel and keep a can of Lysol in my bag.

tlongII
06-23-2008, 02:28 PM
It's #1 by far for me. I can't stand cleaning somebody else's sweat! The rest of those don't bother me.

ATRAIN
06-23-2008, 02:28 PM
It's #1 by far for me. I can't stand cleaning somebody else's sweat! The rest of those don't bother me.

I usually wipe it before and after I use the machines.

ATRAIN
06-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Another thing I hate is the hot chicks working out with some chode boyfriend....hahaha hey you know you all thought it at least once.

florige
06-23-2008, 02:38 PM
I can't stand it when people don't clean equipment when they are done. And by the same token I hate it when the gym wipes run out. That's just disgusting.

I don't care much about people leaving weights on equipment other than I then wonder if someone is in the middle of reps.... so when I see this I hate having to check around to find out if anyone is using the equipment.

The conversation thing doesn't bother me because I just barge in to get to the equipment.

I don't guess I ever see #4. Do they ask you to find another one or something? I would just ignore them probably.
As for #5 I agree with ATRAIN.

So #1 by far for me is the most annoying.

I have NO PROBLEM at all if I'm on the treadmill if it's crowded and getting off after the allotted time. But when no one is there and there is open treadmills everywhere don't expect me to break my routine and move just because the one I happen to be on is your favorite.:rolleyes
Most of the time it's the older/middle aged women. One time this one woman went and told the trainer on me. I told her that I just got on and wasn't about to cut my workout short just because she wanted that particular treadmill to walk on. She either had to wait, or get on one of the other 10 that were open. I pay my money just like she does. Probably more.

ATRAIN
06-23-2008, 02:43 PM
I have NO PROBLEM at all if I'm on the treadmill if it's crowded and getting off after the allotted time. But when no one is there and there is open treadmills everywhere don't expect me to break my routine and move just because the one I happen to be on is your favorite.:rolleyes
Most of the time it's the older/middle aged women. One time this one woman went and told the trainer on me. I told her that I just got on and wasn't about to cut my workout short just because she wanted that particular treadmill to walk on. She either had to wait, or get on one of the other 10 that were open. I pay my money just like she does. Probably more.

So what did the trainer tell you? What did you say. HO is lucky that it wasnt me that she told on.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-23-2008, 02:47 PM
When I go to the gym I ignore everyone. I go in, do my thing, and get out. If someone is on the stuff I want, I move to something else. If people are hanging out, checking people out, dressing for success, whatever, I don't notice. Basically I don't care about anyone in there but the Chopper, therefore I have no peeves with anyone there. They could all be engaged in a giant circlejerk and I wouldn't notice or care.

I don't look at you...I don't talk to you...I don't care. I do my workout and get my ass out the door.

florige
06-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Don't be man, people ask me stuff all the time and I show them. No big deal at all. Make friends with some of the regulars and work out with them. Remember everyone starts somewhere, dont be ashamed at all.

+1.

SequSpur
06-23-2008, 02:50 PM
When I go to the gym I ignore everyone. I go in, do my thing, and get out. If someone is on the stuff I want, I move to something else. If people are hanging out, checking people out, dressing for success, whatever, I don't notice.

I don't look at you...I don't talk to you...I don't care. I do my workout and get my ass out the door.

hell yeah!

Praise Joel Osteen!

I don't notice anyone.. shit.. but I did notice some fag the other day walking up next to me at the sink in the locker room fricking naked.. I'm like wtf? gtfo of here... shit... Gaylord...

florige
06-23-2008, 02:53 PM
So what did the trainer tell you? What did you say. HO is lucky that it wasnt me that she told on.

The trainer was this girl who was sort of new and inexperienced. She didn't no any better so she came over and asked if I could move. She was really nice and you could tell she wasn't too sure of what she was doing. I told her that I only had 6 more minutes to go and I will be off. I said it loud enough so the older woman could hear me. So the older woman got pissed and grabbed her bag and stormed out. The experienced trainers would had told her right away that she would have to wait until I got off. But you should have heard how she came up to me. "You have to hurry up and finish up". I'm looking at her like who are you? If she had asked nicely or something I probably would have moved. But she's approaching me like it's her gym or something.

florige
06-23-2008, 02:54 PM
When I go to the gym I ignore everyone. I go in, do my thing, and get out. If someone is on the stuff I want, I move to something else. If people are hanging out, checking people out, dressing for success, whatever, I don't notice. Basically I don't care about anyone in there but the Chopper, therefore I have no peeves with anyone there. They could all be engaged in a giant circlejerk and I wouldn't notice or care.

You don't check out the hot girls there at all?

tlongII
06-23-2008, 03:04 PM

You ignore the hotties???

tlongII
06-23-2008, 03:06 PM
You don't check out the hot girls there at all?

Didn't see your post before I posted! :lmao

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-23-2008, 03:09 PM
:lol

Oh, I check out the hotties. I'm a man after all....that's the one form of multi-tasking all men are good at.

florige
06-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Didn't see your post before I posted! :lmao

I try man but them girls be looking riiiiight sometimes....:lol Especially when you KNOW they are doing stuff around you to get your attention.

tlongII
06-23-2008, 03:22 PM
I try man but them girls be looking riiiiight sometimes....:lol Especially when you KNOW they are doing stuff around you to get your attention.

Like when they're on that machine that works their inner thighs. They're all spread eagle and squeezing their legs together. :lol

florige
06-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Like when they're on that machine that works their inner thighs. They're all spread eagle and squeezing their legs together. :lol

I think that is every guy's favorite machine for women. I love it when they are all spread out on that workout mat stretching and stuff......

SpursWoman
06-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Wow ... every reason a lot of women don't like going to the gym all validated in one thread. Good job. :lol

florige
06-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Wow ... every reason a lot of women don't like going to the gym all validated in one thread. Good job. :lol

I think those also are the reasons alot of them come as well...:king

SpursWoman
06-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Judging from what I hear in the locker room, not as many as you guys would obviously like to think. :lol

I really don't care one way or another about anyone in there and what they are doing ... unless you're hogging a machine I'd like to use. And by "hogging" I mean, 50 sets of 50 reps ... WTF? Increase the weight if you aren't getting a burn yet, dumbass.

And yeah, the sweat thing is pretty disturbing.

florige
06-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Judging from what I hear in the locker room, not as many as you guys would obviously like to think. :lol
I really don't care one way or another about anyone in there and what they are doing ... unless you're hogging a machine I'd like to use. And by "hogging" I mean, 50 sets of 50 reps ... WTF? Increase the weight if you aren't getting a burn yet, dumbass.

And yeah, the sweat thing is pretty disturbing.

:lol

to21
06-23-2008, 04:13 PM
I think that is every guy's favorite machine for women. I love it when they are all spread out on that workout mat stretching and stuff......Moose knuckle!!

Cry Havoc
06-23-2008, 04:21 PM

Men aren't scared to admit that they could learn something. Stupid people continue doing something wrong, knowing it's happening.

E20
06-23-2008, 04:28 PM

+1.

Same here. When I work out I focus on my workout and usually don't know what's happening around me. Part of it's I wanna focus and make it a quality workout the other part is don't get distracted cause I don't want to waste half my day in the gym.

TDMVPDPOY
06-23-2008, 05:39 PM
skinny dudes who do a rep, and then go flex at the mirrors hahahahaha

1Parker1
06-23-2008, 09:46 PM
My biggest Pet Peeves at the Gym:

1) People asking me if they can "get in" on my time on a machine. i.e I do a set, they do a set, etc. Just wait your damn turn.

2) People chit-chatting with their friends while holding up a machine.

3) People taking about a 10 minute break between sets on a machine. There are other people you know...

4) Guys thinking it's ok to hit on girls at the gym...please do not flex your muscles at me, please do not try to give me some lame pick up line on how much you can bench press...most girls don't want to get hit on while they are all sweaty at a smelly gym :oops

5) The terrible, annoying songs they always seem to play on the loudspeakers.

6) The fact that despite the fact that I already pay them $35 a month, if I want to take any of the "good" gym classes; i.e Pilates, Yoga, etc I have to pay an additional $5 per class. WTF, I'm already paying you!

There's a lot more things that piss me off about the gym, hence the reason I cancelled my membership and invested in a treadmill and some free weights. Ahhh the comforts of working out at home in peace and quite.

1Parker1
06-23-2008, 09:50 PM

:lol That's cuz you're a guy!

1Parker1
06-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Oh I forgot to tell you guys my best gym story: So I have this Spurs-Tshirt that I wore the gym sometimes...how about I actually got BOOED by a group of guys at the gym when I wore it one time! :pctoss

Damn Philadelphians! Of course, I wore my Sixers-Tshirt the next day :oops

lefty
06-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Oh I forgot to tell you guys my best gym story: So I have this Spurs-Tshirt that I wore the gym sometimes...how about I actually got BOOED by a group of guys at the gym when I wore it one time! :pctoss

Go with a Lakers t-shirt next time, see how they react :lol

Or tell them Malik Rose is from Philly :king

florige
06-23-2008, 11:15 PM

Ahhhh you sellout....:lol j/k

NorCal510
06-23-2008, 11:20 PM
people who stare
people who take 30 mins per machine/equipment
fat people working abs (you gotta burn off the fat before you can even see abs!!!)

CuckingFunt
06-23-2008, 11:23 PM
I don't get the thought process behind getting mad at fat people trying to work their abs. Or doing anything else in the gym, for that matter. I would imagine it takes a lot of courage for someone who's overweight to go and work out in public, and at least they're doing something about it.

NorCal510
06-23-2008, 11:25 PM
I don't get the thought process behind getting mad at fat people trying to work their abs. Or doing anything else in the gym, for that matter. I would imagine it takes a lot of courage for someone who's overweight to go and work out in public, and at least they're doing something about it.

if you knew anything, working your abs while being a fatass is pointless. it's like eating cake and trying to lose. well maybe not but you get the point. if youre fat, you have to burn the fat, do some damn cardio, not crunches.

florige
06-23-2008, 11:28 PM
people who stare
people who take 30 mins per machine/equipment
fat people working abs (you gotta burn off the fat before you can even see abs!!!)

Now I am guilty of number 2. Especially if I'm lifting heavy that day.
But you gotta remember, most of those oveweight people don't know. They are just like alot of us when we started. I give them an E for effort at least.

NorCal510
06-23-2008, 11:31 PM
Now I am guilty of number 2. Especially if I'm lifting heavy that day.
But you gotta remember, most of those oveweight people don't know. They are just like alot of us when we started. I give them an E for effort at least.

Word to that. I applaud those overweight people who are actually trying to make a difference. Unfortunately the gym's don't have some kind of knowledge program to teach to their clients.

florige
06-23-2008, 11:39 PM
Word to that. I applaud those overweight people who are actually trying to make a difference. Unfortunately the gym's don't have some kind of knowledge program to teach to their clients.

Yeah really. There is actually alot of stuff I learned from just watching the in shape people around the gym with there routines and stuff. There was this one guy struggling to get like one pull-up out. I guess he thought I was going to laugh at him or something, he was like "man I know I look like and idiot"I said man who the heck cares? You are here trying and that is the important thing. I told him to keep at it and he will eventually be able to knock them out. They are still a struggle for me and I go to the gym damn near everyday. I know they are going to be really hard when I can finally get back to lifting again.

tlongII
06-23-2008, 11:42 PM
I decided to start doing steroids.

florige
06-23-2008, 11:47 PM

In all seriousness I know for sure that there are alot of dudes at my gym who take some kind of hormone pills. There were these one set of brothers there who were blobs when I first started. Man these boys got freakin ripped beyond imagination in like 2 months.

tlongII
06-23-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm serious. I've got a bottle of dexamethasone pills.

florige
06-23-2008, 11:53 PM

Be careful with that stuff dude...

tlongII
06-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Be careful with that stuff dude...

:lol Just playin. I got the pills for an injury.

ATRAIN
06-24-2008, 07:16 AM

Thats a great decision!! Trust me!!

SpursWoman
06-24-2008, 07:37 AM
if you knew anything, working your abs while being a fatass is pointless. it's like eating cake and trying to lose. well maybe not but you get the point. if youre fat, you have to burn the fat, do some damn cardio, not crunches.

Ummm...the abdominal muscles support the core and the lower back, a big problem area for overweight people ... and muscle strength in that area is extremely important, even moreso than those not carrying around much extra weight.

And muscle is essential for burning fat, and you can't develop muscle unless you work them.

Wow. Seriously.

ATRAIN
06-24-2008, 07:43 AM
Ummm...the abdominal muscles support the core and the lower back, a big problem area for overweight people ... and muscle strength in that area is extremely important, even moreso than those not carrying around much extra weight.

And muscle is essential for burning fat, and you can't develop muscle unless you work them.

Wow. Seriously.

Don't listen to him, its just Norcal being Norcal. He can't help being a douche.

BRHornet45
06-24-2008, 09:05 AM
fat guys that have a bigger rack than Jessica Simpson who walk around and pose in the mirrors like they are muscular sons.

ATRAIN
06-24-2008, 09:34 AM
I do hate when someone works in with you and they don't do the courtesy adjustment especially when you do it for the first. This happens on cables and Hammer Strengths all the time.

johnsmith
06-24-2008, 09:38 AM
fat guys that have a bigger rack than Jessica Simpson who walk around and pose in the mirrors like they are muscular sons.

You know, I've been posting on this site for about two years now. It's entertaining as hell, and it helps pass the time on those slow days at work. In those two years, I've seen a lot of smart people, dumb people, random people, funny people etc post on this site. Having said that, hands down, without a doubt, the dumbest shit I've seen on here aside from everything Tpark posts, is adding "son" or "sons" to every single post.

It's not funny, it's not annoying, it's not cute, it just comes off really fucking dumb.

ATRAIN
06-24-2008, 09:40 AM
You know, I've been posting on this site for about two years now. It's entertaining as hell, and it helps pass the time on those slow days at work. In those two years, I've seen a lot of smart people, dumb people, random people, funny people etc post on this site. Having said that, hands down, without a doubt, the dumbest shit I've seen on here aside from everything Tpark posts, is adding "son" or "sons" to every single post.

It's not funny, it's not annoying, it's not cute, it just comes off really fucking dumb.

It defines his posts but im just curious why he says that.

BRHornet45
06-24-2008, 09:42 AM

thanks son. glad you enjoy my post. god bless

johnsmith
06-24-2008, 09:43 AM
thanks son. glad you enjoy my post. god bless

eh :rolleyes

stretch
06-24-2008, 09:55 AM

I agree with you 100%. Those all annoy me more than anything else.

stretch
06-24-2008, 09:56 AM

bullshit you play too much halo to work out

O-Factor
06-24-2008, 10:02 AM
I hate when people slam cables down,

don't wipe down,

and get on the cardio machine right next to me when there are plenty others avaliable.

mrsmaalox
06-24-2008, 10:05 AM

Wow. Seriously.

:lol Go to the "5-6 meals thread" for more on this subject!!! Some men obviously know everything! :lol

ATRAIN
06-24-2008, 10:08 AM
get on the cardio machine right next to me when there are plenty others avaliable.

LMAO yeah I agree on that one but since I go around 4-6 its kind of hard to avoid that since they are all being used.

MavDynasty
06-24-2008, 10:14 AM
eh :rolleyes

Have you met the dumbass mav fan who puts holmes at the end of every post?

O-Factor
06-24-2008, 10:24 AM

Wow. Seriously.

yup, building muscle is how you increase metabolism. Thats pretty common knowledge. If you just run and run, and do cardio you will burn fat, but not build up your metabolism. Thats why a good weightlifting to cardio balance is good. Of course diet is relevant to all this.

O-Factor
06-24-2008, 10:28 AM
LMAO yeah I agree on that one but since I go around 4-6 its kind of hard to avoid that since they are all being used.

When I go in the morning thats fine, but in the evening its annoying as hell. And I do cardio in front of one of the many T.V.s that are broadcasting ESPN, so they can't tell me its because they want to watch the same program. Cocksuckers.............when its a lady its different however:toast

ATRAIN
06-24-2008, 10:32 AM
When I go in the morning thats fine, but in the evening its annoying as hell. And I do cardio in front of one of the many T.V.s that are broadcasting ESPN, so they can't tell me its because they want to watch the same program. Cocksuckers.............when its a lady its different however:toast

Id rather work out behind the hotties hahaha, what can I say part of the gym is the eye candy.

O-Factor
06-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Id rather work out behind the hotties hahaha, what can I say part of the gym is the eye candy.

:toastTrue. There is absolutely no reason to work out in the first row of cardio machines whatsoever.

ATRAIN
06-24-2008, 10:49 AM
:toastTrue. There is absolutely no reason to work out in the first row of cardio machines whatsoever.

No reason whatsoever!!

ballhog
06-24-2008, 01:34 PM
The ones who change the channel on the TV without asking.

DarkReign
06-24-2008, 01:51 PM
I have never enjoyed working out a day in my life. I am tall and thin but not weak. I am (going to be) 28 years old and I feel the worst shape of my life.

Be succinct....where do I start? Running? Lifting? Both?

leemajors
06-24-2008, 02:01 PM
recumbent bikes are where it's at.

ShoogarBear
06-24-2008, 06:45 PM
My biggest Pet Peeves at the Gym:

1) People asking me if they can "get in" on my time on a machine. i.e I do a set, they do a set, etc. Just wait your damn turn.

Um, if there are no other machines available, that's considered normal etiquette at every gym I've been to.

Dumbass. :lol Dexamethasone is not an anabolic steroid, just in case you didn't know.

ShoogarBear
06-24-2008, 06:49 PM
I have never enjoyed working out a day in my life. I am tall and thin but not weak. I am (going to be) 28 years old and I feel the worst shape of my life.

Everybody's different. Personally, when I've been off for a while, I always start off with cardio (running, treadmill, swimming, biking) for a few days and then get back into weights, and then eventually mix in some days of both.

It works better if you can figure out something you enjoy doing first, then expanding on that.

HighLowLobForBig-50
06-24-2008, 07:46 PM

lol, They made a sign for that too. "Please be courteous of other members and cover up in the lounge area" I can understand right by your locker, or from the shower to your locker. But to parade around the entire locker room buttball naked is un-called for.

We have a lounge area in my gym. How about the ignorant jerks who feel as though they will sit in the leather chairs soaking freakin wet to watch television? It takes two seconds to dry off. Some people are just so freakin common.

:lmao:lmao
define "member" :lol

Don Quixote
06-24-2008, 07:56 PM
I don't like dudes walking around naked in the men's bathroom.

Dang straight. When I was in the Air Force, the Chief would walk around like that. Gosh .., that guy was clueless.

Anti.Hero
06-24-2008, 08:15 PM
I've recently purchased a powertec power rack, 300 lb Olympic weight set, and a bench.

I'm done with crowded gyms.

florige
06-24-2008, 11:32 PM

If you are just starting back I suggest any type of cardio. Bike, treadmill, Gazelle, etc.... just to get your body used to it. You will be sore though at first. I'm talking about not hardly being able to walk sore. (that is if you really go at it)
It's important that you incorporate cardio at least some in your workout. Maybe not alot since you said you are already thin, but at least enough when you first get there to get your heart pumping some and to warm you up. You will benefit more from your workout that way.
Me, I normally run around the track twice to get my heart going, then I go into my lifting exercise. After I am all said and done with my lifting, I normally go on the treadmill hard for 20 minutes after I'm done and I am finished for the night. Because for me after I do hard cardio I am pretty much spent. I mean I feel great, but I can't really lift like I want to after doing hard cardio.

florige
06-24-2008, 11:41 PM
Um, if there are no other machines available, that's considered normal etiquette at every gym I've been to.

Dumbass. :lol Dexamethasone is not an anabolic steroid, just in case you didn't know.

That can be a pain in the behind though when someone wants to work in with you. But like you said if it's crowded then you shoud expect that. Thats why I go at night. But when the gym closes early or something because of a holiday and I go right when I leave work, all bets are off for me. I normally just scrap the whole routine thing and get in whatever workout I can. Because now what you have is all 4 shifts of people there all trying to cram in there time before the gym closes at 12 or 1. The regulars there who normally go morning-afternoons anyway, then you have all of the evening-night people there too are crammed in there together.

tlongII
06-24-2008, 11:44 PM

Thanks for ruining it for me! :flipoff