PDA

View Full Version : Pacers and Raptors Discussing O'Neal Trade

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Pacers And Raptors Talk Jermaine Trade
Jun 23, 2008 1:34 PM EST

According to league sources, the Raptors and Pacers have discussed a trade where Jermaine O’Neal would be shipped for T.J. Ford, Rasho Nestervoic, and, perhaps, the 17th pick in this week’s draft.

A trade is not imminent, but a source said the Raptors are aggressively trying to move Ford, and O’Neal is one of their targets.

Toronto also still has serious interest in forward Boris Diaw of the Phoenix Suns and is in talks with at least three other teams for trades of a similar magnitude.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53139/20080623/pacers_and_raptors_talk_jermaine_trade/

resistanze
06-23-2008, 02:39 PM
...And what, he plays backup to Bosh?

Red Hawk #21
06-23-2008, 02:40 PM
Why would the Raptors do this?

confined
06-23-2008, 02:44 PM
JO and bosh would be a dominate front line in the east and plus they aren't going to get out of the first round with the roster they have now

baseline bum
06-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Jermaine O'Neal is one of a long line of players who went from grossly underrated to grossly overrated overnight. He's a low percentage scorer with serious injury problems. Colangelo is an awful GM though, so I could see him taking that contract.

PacerFan
06-23-2008, 03:43 PM
I would do this from the Pacers perspective, but only if the 17th pick is included. Larry Bird is said to be in love with Arthur, and this would be the place to take him, not at 11.

Ronaldo McDonald
06-23-2008, 03:44 PM
Raptors should def. do this. If O'neal is healthy you're a second tier contender in the East or maybe better depending on how much progress Bargnani has made over the summer.

lefty
06-23-2008, 05:16 PM
WTF

O'Neal is a fantastic player (when you see "O'Neal" and "fantastic player" in the same sentence, you know I'm not talking about Shaq), BUT he is injury prone.

JamStone
06-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Makes sense for both sides. Pacers get rid of JO and get another first round pick. Raptors were trying to move TJ Ford anyway and they probably don't get an impact player at #17 of the draft. There's risk, but it's probably worth the gamble.

edit: If I were the Pacers, I'd also try to get Kris Humphries in the deal.

Spur-Addict
06-23-2008, 05:25 PM
I like it. They would still need one more guard though, and a vet or two.

SpursFanFirst
06-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Get It Done, Larry! :hungry:
I can't wait for the day that the Pacers dump O'Neal and his inflated salary.

SPURSGOAT
06-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Rasho Nestervoic

:lmao I guess he is still good for something...

exstatic
06-23-2008, 06:53 PM
:lmao I guess he is still good for something...

I guess ploto will have to hate on another franchise for daring to dump Frankenstein.

PacerFan
06-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Word is the deal is off. Oh well.

DazedAndConfused
06-23-2008, 08:14 PM
I feel bad for the Pacers. JO's contract is so bad nobody will take him and he is owed so much money that he'd be a fool to opt out. They are in a lose-lose situation no matter what they do.

mystargtr34
06-23-2008, 08:51 PM
:lol Rasho fucking Nesterovic

mystargtr34
06-23-2008, 08:51 PM
I could listen to Stephen A Smith say that name over and over and over.

angel_luv
06-24-2008, 10:57 AM
I just want to know where Rasho ends up so I know which team I am rooting for next year.
Personally, if he moves, I hope it is to the Western Conference so I can see him play more.

jacobdrj
06-24-2008, 12:39 PM
I so wanted this trade to happen. Was AB part of the deal?

T Park
06-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Would be a good trade for both teams.

Indiana gets a good draft pick, decent point guard (better than suck ass Jamal Tinsley) Rasho is a decent starting center, especially in the east.

O'Neal gives some help to Bosh, and gives the Raptors a legit bigman.

Win win for both teams.

A tad heavy on the Pacer's side.

bostonguy
06-24-2008, 03:28 PM
:lmao:lmao

The Pacers need to stop requesting picks and other talent. They better be glad someone is wanting Jermaines horrible contract. They need to hope and expect for expiring deals at best. Deal him to the knicks or Mavs for Marburys/Kidds expiring contract with nothing else. Please stop thinking youll get anymore than that Indy.:lmao:lmao

resistanze
06-24-2008, 03:29 PM
I so wanted this trade to happen. Was AB part of the deal?
If AB is part of that deal, I'll change my stance.

"Fucking ship his ass out!"

duncan228
06-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Today...

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080624/SPORTS04/806240350/1004/SPORTS

Pacers talk to Raptors about deal for O'Neal
Pacers, Raptors discuss deal involving O'Neal, Ford
By Mike Wells

Team president Larry Bird's Indiana Pacers roster makeover might start sooner than expected.

It might start by trading six-time All-Star forward Jermaine O'Neal.

Two people familiar with the situation said the Pacers and Toronto Raptors have discussed trading O'Neal for point guard T.J. Ford and center Rasho Nesterovic, whose contract expires after next season, and possibly Toronto's first-round pick (No. 17) in Thursday's draft.

The Raptors would have to include at least one other player, probably with an expiring contract, to make the deal work financially.

Pacers officials declined comment when reached by phone Monday. O'Neal could not be reached.

Trade speculation involving O'Neal isn't new. This is at least the second consecutive offseason the Pacers have shopped him. If this deal doesn't come to fruition, the Pacers will likely keep trying.

Like last summer, O'Neal's health issues may be a sticking point.

O'Neal, who suffered injuries the past four seasons, had left knee surgery before last season and played just 42 games. He averaged 13.6 points, the fewest since scoring 12.9 in his first season with the Pacers in 2000-01. He is due to make $44 million in the final two years of his contract.

Pacers officials, however, recently said O'Neal's knee is healthy. O'Neal started working on his conditioning several weeks ago. Officials from several teams have been to Las Vegas to watch him work out.

The Pacers have concerns about Ford's durability.

The Raptors' point guard missed time last season after he struck his head on the floor following a foul by Atlanta's Al Horford. Ford missed the 2004-05 season after suffering a bruised spinal cord during the 2003-04 season.

Bird, in his first offseason with sole control over basketball decisions, said recently he wanted to upgrade the roster through trades, the draft and free agency.

Pacers priorities are point guard and post players.

Acquiring the 6-0, 165-pound Ford would upgrade the Pacers' murky point guard situation. Ford averaged 12.1 points and shot 29 percent on 3-pointers last season, but he's quick, attacks the basket and creates scoring opportunities for teammates. His assist to turnover ratio was 6.1-to-2.0.

Late last season, the Pacers used Travis Diener and Flip Murray after starter Jamaal Tinsley was injured.

Tinsley's future is unclear, particularly after coach Jim O'Brien said he no longer can rely on the injury-plagued guard to direct the team.

The Pacers could address their point guard issues further if they select Texas' D.J. Augustin with the No. 11 pick Thursday.

The Toronto Star reported at least four teams, including Phoenix, are interested in Ford.