PDA

View Full Version : Pre-draft Mood?

Solid D
06-23-2008, 03:55 PM
With each NBA draft, people here at SpursTalk have their "moods".

What is your mood this week as the Draft approaches?

baseline bum
06-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Definitely apathetic. After seeing them pick Splitter last year, I gave up all hope for RC in the draft.

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Optimistic. They are looking for help sooner than later. The FO seems to do a good job in these situations.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Optimistic.
With Pop putting in some work in the draft this time, we can't go wrong. :tu

angelbelow
06-23-2008, 04:10 PM
optimistic!

MarCowMar
06-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Optimistic. Our front office makes mistakes, but we're not a team like Atlanta or New York that is constantly messing up. Everything we do makes sense, and even though none of our recent draft picks is on the roster (except maybe Mahinmi) at least we traded them for pieces that netted us championships.

Everyone's upset about Splitter, but about the only way the Spurs could have done better last year is to have drafted Landry or traded the pick away. Two years down the line Splitter could still be good for us.

SenorSpur
06-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Optimistic - Now because with a draft deep in 2's and 3's, there should be at least 1 available for the Spurs @ #26. With 3 picks in both rounds, that's something to be optimistic about.

Apathetic - if the FO burns their 1st round pick on yet another Euro (not named Batum or Ibaka) that we've never heard of.

Crestfallen - if the FO doesn't get aggressive and try and swing a deal for another late 1st round pick.

Outraged x 100 - if the FO doesn't bring in at least a minimum 3 new, young players (2 immediate, 1 draft-and-stash) that could help address the age, lack of scoring and athleticism issues that currently plague the team. I know that the FA period is also coming and more help should be on the way. However, the Spurs have got to turn around their hard luck draft selections over the past 5 years.

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Outraged x 100 - if the FO doesn't bring in at least a minimum 3 new, young players (2 immediate, 1 draft-and-stash) that could help address the age, lack of scoring and athleticism issues that currently plague the team. I know that the FA period is also coming and more help should be on the way. However, the Spurs have got to turn around their hard luck draft selections over the past 5 years.

Unless they draft Chalmers, the players drafted and brought in are likely to be spending next season in Austin. The roster as it stands has openings at backup point, starting 2, and backup 4/5. No rookie selected at #26 is going to step into that starting 2 spot. The backup 4/5 will go to Mahinmi.

Mr. Body
06-23-2008, 04:27 PM
If it's 'Stand Pat' Spurs, then I'm booking a flight to SA to kick someone in the balls.

I'm tentative and hope for at least a decent young player who can get some time next year. At the very least actually be on the team.

picnroll
06-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Indifferent. Spurs won't get anything close to near immediate help in the draft so it'll take a couple of years to figure out what they bought.

Tully365
06-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Optimistic. Our front office makes mistakes, but we're not a team like Atlanta or New York that is constantly messing up. Everything we do makes sense, and even though none of our recent draft picks is on the roster (except maybe Mahinmi) at least we traded them for pieces that netted us championships.

Everyone's upset about Splitter, but about the only way the Spurs could have done better last year is to have drafted Landry or traded the pick away. Two years down the line Splitter could still be good for us.

I agree. It's easy to fault it now in retrospect, but the Splitter pick was a very good one in my opinion, and it took an unforeseen number of circumstances-- the value of the Dollar dropping , the contracts in Europe rising, Splitter's emergence as one of the best bigs in europe after Scola left, Tau winning the Spanish championship, his sister's illness, etc.-- to lead to his surprising decision to stay in Spain. There's always guess work and gambling in the draft, and even moreso with a pick in the mid to late 20s.

timvp
06-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Approach with caution

I think this is a solid draft that can help the Spurs either in the immediate future or down the line. I'm just worried that the Spurs will do something dumb like Nathan Jawai at 26, Sasha Kaun at 45 and then trade 57 to the Rockets for a conditional second round pick so that the Rockets can draft the free-falling Nicolas Batum whose heart problems end up being overstated and he turns out to be a stud.

:pctoss

Bruno
06-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Approach with caution.

Spurs situation for this draft isn't that great. Their picks are late ones. However and despite mistakes made recently, Spurs' front office is one of the best in the NBA and can do some kind of wonders.

And I'm damn impatient. After weeks of speculations, it's time to see what will happen in reality. :hungry:

Marcus Bryant
06-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Free agency will be much more important. That will give the Spurs a true opportunity to improve their roster significantly today. In free agency I'm much more cautious. The draft will take a little while to produce value. With respect to Mahnimi I guess I'm wildly optimistic. But I have good reason to be.

Tully365
06-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Approach with caution

I think this is a solid draft that can help the Spurs either in the immediate future or down the line. I'm just worried that the Spurs will do something dumb like Nathan Jawai at 26, Sasha Kaun at 45 and then trade 57 to the Rockets for a conditional second round pick so that the Rockets can draft the free-falling Nicolas Batum whose heart problems end up being overstated and he turns out to be a stud.

:pctoss

CSKA Moscow reportedly signed Kaun to a 3 year deal yesterday, so at least that scenario is gone...

Tully365
06-23-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm optimistic. The Spurs don't need an overhaul. If Mahinmi gives them a good 10-18 mpg, and a free agent gives them a good 15-25 mpg, and a decent draft pick gives them 10-12 mpg, they'll be in fine shape. If any of those three overachieve, well... that would be fantastic.

ChumpDumper
06-23-2008, 05:07 PM
I suppose "apathetic" is the closest answer for me -- though "willfully ignorant" is more accurate. If I learn too much about the players, I get fixated on the picks I want, which is silly.

timvp
06-23-2008, 05:11 PM
CSKA Moscow reportedly signed Kaun to a 3 year deal yesterday, so at least that scenario is gone...Actually, I think that makes him even more appealing for the Spurs since he'd be a draft-n-stash candidate who wouldn't need to be begged to go overseas for a few years.

E20
06-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Apathetic. I don't really gve a shit, chances are our draft picks will amount to nothing. The Spurs haven't drafted a keeper since Oberto/Manu. I guess you could count Mahinmi, but he has yet to play a meaningful game and with his name in trade talks, I don't think you can call him a keeper just yet.

AFBlue
06-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Approach with caution...

The talent and potential is there in front of the Spurs, and I'm cautiously optimistic they can land one or two legitimate long-term players for this team....key word being "cautiously".

Brutalis
06-23-2008, 06:38 PM
I careless. Spurs won't be drafting anyone good anyways.

Tully365
06-23-2008, 06:42 PM
I've seen names here and there of guys that have worked out for the Spurs, but does anyone have a comprehensive list with all the players they've actually looked at?

objective
06-23-2008, 07:16 PM
caution for me.

I may be optomistic that at least one player or two I'd be happy with/could live with will be there but the odds of the Spurs trading for second rounders or picking Jawai/Anderson or some other ludicrous scenario are very good.

This is the draft that sets the table for the future, 3 opportunities for youth that could help during what remains of the Duncan era, and I'm crossing my fingers that the Spurs do it right.

misterx91578
06-23-2008, 09:50 PM
Approach with caution

loveforthegame
06-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Approach with caution.

I'm trying to be hopeful but ...

Solid D
06-24-2008, 04:25 PM
There are far too few emos responding to this. Wait till the draft. Then they'll show themselves, on their latest worst day of their lives.

SequSpur
06-24-2008, 04:38 PM
There are far too few emos responding to this. Wait till the draft. Then they'll show themselves, on their latest worst day of their lives.

thanks for the update...

koopa
06-24-2008, 04:45 PM
caution.............. as long as rc is employed by holt, i'm never gonna be optimistic about the draft.........

coopdogg3
06-24-2008, 04:49 PM
I wanted nervous and excited. I love the draft. But I chose optimistic for polling purposes.

Solid D
06-24-2008, 04:50 PM
thanks for the update...

You're welcome, Mr. FTS (Frivolous Thread Starter). :)

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99691

Watermelon.........fricking rules....

:fro

50 cent
06-24-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm optimistic, but I usually am until we draft Ianosdgijo Maschasoigchidsaga every year.

mrspurs
06-24-2008, 06:29 PM
Optimistic. They are looking for help sooner than later. The FO seems to do a good job in these situations.

i sure hope your right....go spurs go

Solid D
06-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Any mood swings?

Solid D
06-26-2008, 09:24 PM