PDA

View Full Version : Why is Duncan not playing for our Olympic Team?

DazedAndConfused
06-23-2008, 06:50 PM
I know he played for Team USA in '04, why isn't he playing this year?

JamStone
06-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Because FIBA basketball sucks. It's retarded.

Spur-Addict
06-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Better things to do, like rest and spend time with his family. End thread.

duncan228
06-23-2008, 06:53 PM
Duncan's words after '04 left it pretty clear he would never play again.

I am about 95 percent sure my FIBA career is over. I'll try not to share my experiences with anyone.

FIBA sucks.

SPURSGOAT
06-23-2008, 06:53 PM
Cuz he is resting his old weary bones...and he understands that the Spurs need him fully rested and healthy.

exstatic
06-23-2008, 06:55 PM
He was selected in 2000 but didn't play because of his torn meniscus, and was selected and played in 2004. How many fucking times does he have to play to satisfy Laker Fan? Don't you have a Bynum poster to clean spooge off of?

Oh, and Kobe is 30, and it's his first Olympics. Fuck off.

duncan228
06-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Because FIBA basketball sucks. It's retarded.

:lol According to Duncan, FIBA sucks, it's the dress code that's retarded.

DazedAndConfused
06-23-2008, 07:08 PM
LOL I'm just asking why he isn't playing......not denigrating him for not playing. No need to get your panties in a bunch.

jack sommerset
06-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Its pretty pathetic the best are not playing. You won't hear to many people here complain about who is not playing because there boy Duncan isn't. Amare,KG,Pierce and Duncan would be very hard to beat.

JamStone
06-23-2008, 07:29 PM
:lol According to Duncan, FIBA sucks, it's the dress code that's retarded.

I know the quotes. I just figured Duncan also feels FIBA is retarded as well as it sucks. That's my interpretation.

0201rinckwater
06-23-2008, 07:41 PM
FIBA does suck

td4mvp21
06-23-2008, 09:21 PM
He hated FIBA. I would give him a free pass to bitch about that all he wants-I don't blame him at all. Plus he was really fatigued the next season.

v2freak
06-23-2008, 09:28 PM
FIBA does suck

Agreed

He hated FIBA. I would give him a free pass to bitch about that all he wants-I don't blame him at all. Plus he was really fatigued the next season.

I remember he had a horrible time adjusting to the rules. There was one less foul to use in every game (5) and he ended up fouling out as many times during the 2004 Olympics than he had over his entire NBA career. At least that's what I remember the announcers saying. Lots of suspect traveling calls too.

Fillmoe
06-23-2008, 10:42 PM
They have an age limit.

JamStone
06-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Anyone complaining about 5 fouls is crazy because unless they changed the rules, they play 40 minute games. It's in essence the same.

Avitus1
06-23-2008, 10:45 PM
FIBA is full of shit.

Lake_show
06-24-2008, 01:20 AM
Because we want gold not bronze.

Ghazi
06-24-2008, 02:02 AM
fail.

Lakers08Champs
06-24-2008, 02:22 AM
Because we want gold not bronze.

:lmao

too old, too slow!!

DazedAndConfused
06-24-2008, 02:26 AM
:lmao. I remember Duncan playing like complete shit with international rules. When he wasn't getting the star treatment he was completely useless. That's why I love international ball, we get to see who the real stars of the NBA are.

v2freak
06-24-2008, 02:30 AM
Best player and most consistent force on the team played like shit? Interesting. I doubt you even watched the games, given the nature your question.

Lakers08Champs
06-24-2008, 02:38 AM
Without the burden of that old timer senior citizen duncan on the team, i really like our chances of winning the gold medal this year. :toast

Brutalis
06-24-2008, 04:12 AM
:lmao. I remember Duncan playing like complete shit with international rules. When he wasn't getting the star treatment he was completely useless. That's why I love international ball, we get to see who the real stars of the NBA are.

I swear to GOD you just keep racking up the fuckhead comments.

Complete. Fucking. Loser.

dknights411
06-24-2008, 04:17 AM

http://www.dubfrequency.com/blog/archives/ManuGold.jpg

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-24-2008, 04:18 AM
LOL I'm just asking why he isn't playing......not denigrating him for not playing. No need to get your panties in a bunch.

At least be consistent with your LIES troll! :rolleyes

What a useless thread and bullshit question to ask, as if you didn't know the answer, you seem to follow the Spurs recent history more than some Spurs fans on here. :lmao

Why single Tim out in the first place. He's not the first U.S. NBA professional to sit one out after having participated in prepping for previous Olympics. This thread has :stirpot: all over it.

KidCongo
06-24-2008, 05:12 AM
Without the burden of that old timer senior citizen duncan on the team, i really like our chances of winning the gold medal this year. :toast

As long as Kobe isn't the 1st option USA could win.

timvp
06-24-2008, 07:00 AM
Because he sucks.

SenorSpur
06-24-2008, 08:14 AM
I watched some of the FIBA games in 2004 and I know Duncan got beat up unmercifully during those games. He stayed in a constant state of frustration the entire game.

In some of his statements, he felt the officiating was biased against TEAM USA and that the international rules adversely affected his game.

I have no issue with him retiring from international competition. He needs the rest anyway.

Kindergarten Cop
06-24-2008, 10:53 AM
At least be consistent with your LIES troll! :rolleyes

What a useless thread and bullshit question to ask, as if you didn't know the answer, you seem to follow the Spurs recent history more than some Spurs fans on here. :lmao

Why single Tim out in the first place. He's not the first U.S. NBA professional to sit one out after having participated in prepping for previous Olympics. This thread has :stirpot: all over it.

+1

Kindergarten Cop
06-24-2008, 10:54 AM

Exposed.

BTW, when do you plan on changing your avatar?:lmao

xtremesteven33
06-24-2008, 11:37 AM
DazedandConfused is exactly what he says he is....Dazed and Confused

dbreiden83080
06-24-2008, 11:41 AM
He didn't like it and at age 32 he needs all the rest he can get. Lot of miles on those tires, if he wants to win another ring he needs his summers off.

Lakers08Champs
06-24-2008, 11:47 AM
He didn't like it and at age 32 he needs all the rest he can get. Lot of miles on those tires, if he wants to win another ring he needs his summers off.

lmao another ring??? wait till kobe/ bynum retire....which means :nope

dbreiden83080
06-24-2008, 11:52 AM

I didn't say he was going to win another one you little piece of shit, i said if he wants to win another one he needs his rest, go back to Faker land already.

BlackSwordsMan
06-24-2008, 11:57 AM
I love how kobe says he's getting surgery after the olympics. He already has an excuse ready to go.

AA2120
06-24-2008, 11:59 AM
3 out of the 12 have a ring...2 of em only 1....kobe is the only one with more than one..

JamStone
06-24-2008, 12:01 PM
I love how kobe says he's getting surgery after the olympics. He already has an excuse ready to go.

Excuse for what? The guy wants to play in the Olympics. He's always been a guy that will get surgery as soon as he's done playing so he can re-hab and be ready to go as soon as possible.

Of all the criticisms you can make of Kobe, this is as weak as you can dig up.

J.T.
06-24-2008, 12:04 PM
The Team USA model and system are horrible. The team was built by the Suns, and we know how much the Suns franchise knows about winning championships. I don't blame any NBA player for turning down an offer to play for that team.

Oh, Gee!!
06-24-2008, 12:05 PM
we should just send college players over there

Kindergarten Cop
06-24-2008, 12:13 PM

Yeah, because they are such great teammates that have great chemistry, right? It's not like one of them trashed the other to fans in the parking lot.

Oh, it's because they have already won multiple Championships toghether? One Championship together?

TheProfessor
06-24-2008, 12:27 PM
That's as ignorant a statement as I've read on this board.

jacobdrj
06-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Because he doesn't like the idea of not playing for the Virgin Islands anymore.

Anti.Hero
06-24-2008, 12:38 PM
TD has conquered the world. He has no need for gold medals.

baseline bum
06-24-2008, 12:44 PM

So is Kobe doing it on company time too? :lol

LakeShow
06-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Too busy molesting!

baseline bum
06-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Duncan in the Olympics > Kobe in the Finals

Borosai
06-24-2008, 12:50 PM
He's playing for Russia.

dbreiden83080
06-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Yeah, because they are such great teammates that have great chemistry, right? It's not like one of them trashed the other to fans in the parking lot.

Oh, it's because they have already won multiple Championships toghether? One Championship together?

I can't believe Faker fans are still acting like they are winning a bunch of rings when Bynum comes back after this finals loss. Kobe got outplayed badly by Paul fucking Pierce, Lakers got beat by a far more physical team. They have no toughness, their D completely sucks, but Bynum is going cure all that and they will win a bunch of rings, give me a break. Maybe the Spurs run is over but to think this will be Laker domination for the next few years, is just funny.

Harry Callahan
06-24-2008, 02:15 PM
I can't believe Faker fans are still acting like they are winning a bunch of rings when Bynum comes back after this finals loss. Kobe got outplayed badly by Paul fucking Pierce, Lakers got beat by a far more physical team. They have no toughness, their D completely sucks, but Bynum is going cure all that and they will win a bunch of rings, give me a break. Maybe the Spurs run is over but to think this will be Laker domination for the next few years, is just funny.

The Laker "fans" seem to think Kobe is 25 or 26 years old - he's not. 30 year old shooting guards break down at times. Bryant has 2 or 3 quality years left before the wear and tear is too much.

He's been playing heavy minutes 11 of the 12 years he has played in the NBA. The rest of that roster is not all that. Bynum is a huge question mark since he already has had a couple of surgical procedures on his troublesome knee.

There are no guarantees for that bunch.

BTW. Odum and Gasol varied between mediocre and dreadful in the finals for the most part.

T Park
06-24-2008, 02:19 PM

Yeah Tim Duncan is totally overrated.

Your stupidity falls to further depths.

duncan228
06-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Duncan's numbers '99 Qualifying Team:

12.7 ppg
9.1 rpg
2.4 bpg

Duncan's Team Best numbers '04:

15.6 ppg on 60.7% shooting
8.0 rpg
1.56 bpg

JamStone
06-24-2008, 02:35 PM

3rd place > 2nd place

dbreiden83080
06-24-2008, 02:37 PM
The Laker "fans" seem to think Kobe is 25 or 26 years old - he's not. 30 year old shooting guards break down at times. Bryant has 2 or 3 quality years left before the wear and tear is too much.

He's been playing heavy minutes 11 of the 12 years he has played in the NBA. The rest of that roster is not all that. Bynum is a huge question mark since he already has had a couple of surgical procedures on his troublesome knee.

There are no guarantees for that bunch.

BTW. Odum and Gasol varied between mediocre and dreadful in the finals for the most part.

Exactly, Spurs likely have 2 or 3 more years to build around Timmy and have a shot to win one more title. Laker fans seem to act like Kobe will be winning titles for the next 5 or 6 years, he won't be. Jordan won his last title at age 35 and we just saw clearly Kobe is no Jordan, he is not even close to MJ. I agree with you, Lakers window is not much bigger than the Spurs here, i don't see Kobe playing at this level well past the age of 33. By the time he is that age, in all likelihood, Lebron will be the premiere guy in the league anyway. Lakers are young but Kobe does not have a decade of great play left in him here.

angelbelow
06-24-2008, 02:37 PM
because drob told him to pass.

dbreiden83080
06-24-2008, 02:40 PM
3rd place > 2nd place

Duncan in NBA finals>Kobe in NBA finals

v2freak
06-24-2008, 03:17 PM
3rd place > 2nd place

Doesn't quite work like that. You're comparing two different levels of competition. I wouldn't say that a T-Ball player whose team comes in 1st place is better than Todd Helton of the Rockies.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2008, 03:20 PM
He's playing for Russia.

:lol

Harry Callahan
06-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Exactly, Spurs likely have 2 or 3 more years to build around Timmy and have a shot to win one more title. Laker fans seem to act like Kobe will be winning titles for the next 5 or 6 years, he won't be. Jordan won his last title at age 35 and we just saw clearly Kobe is no Jordan, he is not even close to MJ. I agree with you, Lakers window is not much bigger than the Spurs here, i don't see Kobe playing at this level well past the age of 33. By the time he is that age, in all likelihood, Lebron will be the premiere guy in the league anyway. Lakers are young but Kobe does not have a decade of great play left in him here.

In addition, Jordan left college at 21 years of age, so he had three less years of wear and tear when he got into his 30s.

spursfan09
06-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Duncan doesn't say alot to the media, so you know if he thinks FIBA sucks, it must really really suck

spursfan09
06-24-2008, 05:43 PM

Well at least Kobe is not the leader of the team, or else its Boston Vs LA all over again

JamStone
06-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Doesn't quite work like that. You're comparing two different levels of competition. I wouldn't say that a T-Ball player whose team comes in 1st place is better than Todd Helton of the Rockies.

The comparison wasn't comparing players. It was comparing performances.

Isn't the point of these particular competitions winning?

Isn't it similar to Suns fans talking about Amare dropping something like 37 and 15 on the Spurs in that playoff series a few years ago and Spurs fans responding by saying the Suns lost the series?

JamStone
06-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Duncan in NBA finals>Kobe in NBA finals

Completely agree.

JamStone
06-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Duncan doesn't say alot to the media, so you know if he thinks FIBA sucks, it must really really suck

A player not saying much to the media does not mean when he does say something it's accurate.

Anti.Hero
06-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Let's see Kobe win a gold medal for a country other than the Supa powa.

Kobe will never do what Manu did.

Bitches.

JamStone
06-24-2008, 05:54 PM

I don't understand this since each individual athlete is different in terms of ability to play at an older age than every other individual athlete. Kobe actually works on his conditioning year round. He doesn't get fat and happy in the off season. He trains 365. He watches his diet. And, he works at his game all the time. There's no reason to believe that Kobe cannot continue to play at the highest level well into his 30s and closer to when he approaches 40. And, because he doesn't recklessly throw his body around attacking the rim like other slashers like Dwyane Wade and Manu Ginobili and he actually has a finesse game, his durability should be greater than those kinds of players.

It's a guessing game either way. But, it's no guarantee that Kobe can't play at this level for another 5-7 years.

JamStone
06-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Let's see Kobe win a gold medal for a country other than the Supa powa.

Kobe will never do what Manu did.

Bitches.

Beat a team of Tim Duncan, Allen Iverson, a bunch of third tier NBA all stars and a few rookies who would eventually be superstars but didn't get to play at all?

ShoogarBear
06-24-2008, 06:13 PM

Try as you might, innate douchbaggeryness will always win out.

diego
06-24-2008, 06:41 PM
i see what you are saying jamstone, and the team definitely had flaws, but some of those superstars did play. lebron travelled, wade gave manu a 4pt play. the only ones i dont remember playing at all was amare and melo. but lebron and wade did play, only a little, but they werent exactly earning more time out there. iverson, wade, lebron, duncan + boozer, odom, marion - if that was a NBA team most people would shit their pants.... the only guys that werent legit were marbury, jefferson, and okafor. that melo and amare were unable to beat them out for playing time is alarming, but the coaching staff is also competing and if other countries run better programs, more power to them.

v2freak
06-24-2008, 06:53 PM
The comparison wasn't comparing players. It was comparing performances.

Don't you think there are too many intangibles for a straight up comparison? Rule changes, for one? Fatigue, for another? Let me rephrase my analogy.

I wouldn't say a T-Ball player who hits for the cycle in one game is better than Todd Helton, who may have gone 2-4 with two singles. This is assuming they are playing the equivalent game of their respective series, IE game 2 or the T-Ball "world series" and game 2 of the MLB world series.

JamStone
06-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Don't you think there are too many intangibles for a straight up comparison? Rule changes, for one? Fatigue, for another? Let me rephrase my analogy.

I wouldn't say a T-Ball player who hits for the cycle in one game is better than Todd Helton, who may have gone 2-4 with two singles. This is assuming they are playing the equivalent game of their respective series, IE game 2 or the T-Ball "world series" and game 2 of the MLB world series.

Your comparison is between a tee ball player and an MLB professional baseball player.

The other comparison is between the performances of two NBA professional basketball players.

Don't you think your analogy of the comparison is pretty incongruent?

JamStone
06-24-2008, 07:14 PM
i see what you are saying jamstone, and the team definitely had flaws, but some of those superstars did play. lebron travelled, wade gave manu a 4pt play. the only ones i dont remember playing at all was amare and melo. but lebron and wade did play, only a little, but they werent exactly earning more time out there. iverson, wade, lebron, duncan + boozer, odom, marion - if that was a NBA team most people would shit their pants.... the only guys that werent legit were marbury, jefferson, and okafor. that melo and amare were unable to beat them out for playing time is alarming, but the coaching staff is also competing and if other countries run better programs, more power to them.

Wade and LeBron played a little. Still it was just after their rookie seasons. Think there's a difference in their games now compared to back in the summer of 2004? I would think so. Plus, you mentioned a couple of guys that weren't legit in Marbury and Jefferson, and they both started. I would include Marion and Odom as well because neither was a top 5 player, maybe not even top 10, at their position in the summer of 2004.

I really believe it was Duncan and Iverson basically competing and the other players trying to fit in with what they were doing.

Now you have LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Dwight, Carmelo, Chris Paul, Bosh, Deron Williams. You can argue all 8 of those guys are top 25 players in the NBA. Back in 2004, you had 2 top 25 players on the team. That's a significant difference.