PDA

View Full Version : What teams will represent the WC next season?

DazedAndConfused
06-23-2008, 09:42 PM
I see a changing of the guard. The old powerhouses PHX, DAL, and even SAS will be on their inevitable decline while the young guns in LAL, NOH, UTA, POR, and HOU will be on the rise. My top 6 teams for next season:

POR - may make the jump earlier then we think, they are seriously stockpiled with talent.

HOU - should be a strong contender if they can keep their team healthy.

NOH - will be back in the mix if they can improve their bench and get more experience together as a unit.

UTA - are a question mark, if they move Boozer it may end up setting them back a season or two.

LAL - should be a favorite to get out of the West with the addition of Bynum and a full season+training camp together.

SAS - depending on what they do this off-seaosn they could sneak up on everyone like they always do in odd years. Never count these old farts out.

1Parker1
06-23-2008, 10:01 PM
It's going to be a dogfight. You're crazy if you think those "old powerhouses" like the Mavs, Suns, and Spurs are just going to roll over and die next season. Replace the Blazers with the Nuggets and you basically have the same 8 teams making the playoffs in the WC next season.

Lakers08Champs
06-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Lakers of course, are you kidding me? we got the big 3 + kobe!! :king :lobt2:

as for the oldies like spurs or the suns, well.... :rolleyes

DazedAndConfused
06-23-2008, 10:26 PM
It's going to be a dogfight. You're crazy if you think those "old powerhouses" like the Mavs, Suns, and Spurs are just going to roll over and die next season. Replace the Blazers with the Nuggets and you basically have the same 8 teams making the playoffs in the WC next season.

I think the Mavs may miss the playoffs entirely. The Suns are a question mark, they can make some big moves in the off-season and we have no idea how they will react to their new coach. The Spurs should be right back in the mix but unless they make some really good moves in the off-season I don't know if they'll have enough in the tank to survive a grueling regular season and a deep post-season run.

Guajalote
06-23-2008, 10:42 PM
Lakers of course, are you kidding me? we got the big 3 + kobe!! :king :lobt2:

Who are the big 3?

Bynum? I'll buy that one, if he comes back 100%.

Gasol? Meh Still has to prove he's got physical and mental toughness. Decent fill in for Bynum, but being in the finals spotlight showed some pretty serious flaws in his armor.

Odom? Meh I'll forever feel for the man for what happened to his son, but I just don't see him ever fulfilling his potential, whether in the 3 or the 4 spot.

Having Kobe is always going to be enough to at least get you guys there. Here's hoping Bynum heals up and is able to play again (a la Amare).

Guajalote
06-23-2008, 10:44 PM
I think the Mavs may miss the playoffs entirely. The Suns are a question mark, they can make some big moves in the off-season and we have no idea how they will react to their new coach. The Spurs should be right back in the mix but unless they make some really good moves in the off-season I don't know if they'll have enough in the tank to survive a grueling regular season and a deep post-season run.

I thought that about Boston at the beginning of the season. I think the big 3's desire for a ring got them to another level of adrenaline.

The question now is, what will motivate Boston when the tank is on 1/8?

DazedAndConfused
06-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Gasol looked weak in the playoffs because he is a PF forced to play C out of necessity. Notice how Amare looked worlds better at the 4 when they got Shaq? I suspect a similar thing will happen with Pau when he is being guarded exclusively by other PF's. He gave Garnett fits but struggled mightily against the stronger Perkins. He is the least of my worries next season.

Odom is the real question mark. Dude has never really found his place here in LAL and I suspect the Lakers will trade him if a decent offer comes their way.

DaDakota
06-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Odom is the real question mark. Dude has never really found his place here in LAL and I suspect the Lakers will trade him if a decent offer comes their way.

We will give you Battier for him.

DD

tlongII
06-23-2008, 11:48 PM
The Blazers will dominate next season. We are UNBEAVABLE!

Guajalote
06-23-2008, 11:53 PM
tlongII, any rumors regarding the Blazers possibly starting training camp early like they did last year? It seemed to help their cohesiveness and being a former Washingtonian who got to witness firsthand the troubles that the Blazers have had in the past, I'm sure it did quite a bit to help mend fences with the Portland fan base.

tlongII
06-24-2008, 12:05 AM
tlongII, any rumors regarding the Blazers possibly starting training camp early like they did last year? It seemed to help their cohesiveness and being a former Washingtonian who got to witness firsthand the troubles that the Blazers have had in the past, I'm sure it did quite a bit to help mend fences with the Portland fan base.

I have no info on when the players will start getting together this summer yet. It probably depends on Oden. Obviously everybody wants to play with him, but the team might not let him go full bore until October which is the start of training camp. I think he's ready right now, but the team is being overly cautious with him.

m33p0
06-24-2008, 12:24 AM
old farts?! :flipoff
yeah, sayonara phoenix. and to you too, dallas.

Roxsfan
06-24-2008, 12:33 AM

I can't wait to see Yao back down oden and dunk on his ass:downspin:

DazedAndConfused
06-24-2008, 12:46 AM
I think we're all in for a real treat next season. The West is going to be incredible. So many great teams.

It's a shame the EC is so weak. With DET being dismantled the Celtics have a clear path back to the Finals.

Lake_show
06-24-2008, 01:31 AM

You aren't shit, make the playoffs and then come talk boy.

Ghazi
06-24-2008, 01:54 AM
Mavs are definitely not missing the playoffs next season. They've upgraded their coaching and will make roster and chemistry upgrades as well.

IronMexican
06-24-2008, 02:07 AM
You aren't shit, make the playoffs and then come talk boy.

i wish people like you didn't post here, you ruin Laker fans rep on this board.

stretch
06-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Gasol looked weak in the playoffs because he is a PF forced to play C out of necessity. Notice how Amare looked worlds better at the 4 when they got Shaq?

Gasol is weak period.

and Shaq wasn't the reason that he looked worlds better. It was because Marion wasn't there anymore recieving alley-oops from Nash all day. They were all directed at Amare. Kinda like when Amare missed that year, Marion's game thrived because he got more easy buckets from Nash.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2008, 09:12 AM
It's unfair how much the West can beat the shit out of the East.

DazedAndConfused
06-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Gasol is weak period.

and Shaq wasn't the reason that he looked worlds better. It was because Marion wasn't there anymore recieving alley-oops from Nash all day. They were all directed at Amare. Kinda like when Amare missed that year, Marion's game thrived because he got more easy buckets from Nash.

Dead wrong. Gasol is weak as a CENTER, but against the majority of PF's in the NBA he will do just fine. Outside of Duncan, who is the best PF to ever play the game, he hasn't been dominated by a single PF in the playoffs. He held Garnett and Boozer to well below their averages.

And wrong again about Amare. Shaq's mere presence in the lane opened up the lanes for Amare on offense. Nash and Amare have run their P&R plays since forever, that didn't just occur when Marion got shipped out.

Ghazi
06-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Dirk torched his ass in 2006. :D

stretch
06-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Dead wrong. Gasol is weak as a CENTER, but against the majority of PF's in the NBA he will do just fine. Outside of Duncan, who is the best PF to ever play the game, he hasn't been dominated by a single PF in the playoffs. He held Garnett and Boozer to well below their averages.

Gasol is weak period.

He didn't hold Garnett to shit. KG is overrated period, and was just doing the choke job he's supposed to do.

Gasol wasn't doing a lot on Boozer. It was the fact that the defense was funneled to stop Boozer.

I really wanted the Mavs to play the Lakers because it was a guaranteed 35 ppg for Dirk, cuz no one owns Gasol more than Dirk.

And wrong again about Amare. Shaq's mere presence in the lane opened up the lanes for Amare on offense. Nash and Amare have run their P&R plays since forever, that didn't just occur when Marion got shipped out.

No.

nashzilla
06-24-2008, 04:14 PM
old farts?! :flipoff
yeah, sayonara phoenix. and to you too, dallas.

your team is no spring chicken. denial is not just a river a in egypt.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2008, 04:16 PM
I would count Houston and Utah out.

Findog
06-24-2008, 04:19 PM
At this time last year, the Celtics were coming off a 24-58 season and had just been devastated by tanking the season and not getting one of the top two picks to select either Oden or Durant for their troubles. Now they're champs. Let's weigh in again in August after all the player movement has been settled.

Kindergarten Cop
06-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Mavs are definitely not missing the playoffs next season. They've upgraded their coaching and will make roster and chemistry upgrades as well.

I agree that they probably won't miss the Playoffs - but I completey disagree that they "upgraded their coaching". What has Carlisle done that Avery Johnson hasn't? How can you consider it an upgrade. Carlisle will get along better with Cuban, because IMHO Cuban was just looking for a puppet that will let him make all of the decisions.

Kindergarten Cop
06-24-2008, 04:22 PM

Honestly?:wow

JamStone
06-24-2008, 04:35 PM
I think if New Orleans picks up two players this summer, one from the draft and one from free agency that will contribute immediately, then they could be the best team in the Western Conference next year.

Lakers, Spurs, Jazz, and Suns should still compete at a high level. And, the Rockets, Blazers, and Mavs should round out the playoff contenders.

Findog
06-24-2008, 04:37 PM
I agree that they probably won't miss the Playoffs - but I completey disagree that they "upgraded their coaching". What has Carlisle done that Avery Johnson hasn't? How can you consider it an upgrade. Carlisle will get along better with Cuban, because IMHO Cuban was just looking for a puppet that will let him make all of the decisions.

The players quit on Avery. The average coach has a 3-year shelf life. They'll play hard and buy into Carlisle, at least initially.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2008, 04:39 PM
Honestly?:wow

I wouldn't count on Houston to stay healthy, and I get the feeling the Jazz make a blockbuster trade that doesn't really work out in their favor.

Roxsfan
06-25-2008, 11:20 PM

Yao>oden
Hou>Portland

DelNegroStoleMyBike
06-25-2008, 11:26 PM
teams will fucking bow down to the newest powerhouse in the EC: my big-balled Bulls of Chicago!!!

Chicago Bulls: 2009 NBA Champions

mojorizen7
06-25-2008, 11:30 PM
1)LAKERS
2)HORNETS
3)SPURS
4)JAZZ
5)ROCKETS
6)TRAILBLAZERS
7)MAVERICKS
8)NUGGETS

SUNS....done. Mark it down.

Kindergarten Cop
06-25-2008, 11:36 PM
1)LAKERS
2)HORNETS
3)SPURS
4)JAZZ
5)ROCKETS
6)TRAILBLAZERS
7)MAVERICKS
8)NUGGETS

:wow:wow:wow

IronMexican
06-25-2008, 11:47 PM
1)LAKERS
2)HORNETS
3)SPURS
4)JAZZ
5)ROCKETS
6)TRAILBLAZERS
7)MAVERICKS
8)NUGGETS

nice to know we don't have blind homers.

anyways, I think Bynum is better than Kareem(:lol i kid, i kid)

mojorizen7
06-25-2008, 11:49 PM
:wow:wow:wow

Old,tired,slow,no defense,no cap room,a penny-pinching owner,and a new coaching staff(which is actually the only good news).

SpursDynasty
06-26-2008, 01:41 PM
Portland I can see doing well. As for Houston, they've had their chances YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR to do something in the playoffs, and I think their opportunities have passed them by. New Orleans had their only shot this year. Up 2-0, up 3-2, and blew both. The Lakers had their chance this year too...went to the Finals supposedly, but lost.