PDA

View Full Version : Using only 20something% of our brain, and living to be 1000?

Brutalis
06-24-2008, 01:07 AM
I don't remember the exact number, but something around 20 percent is all we use of our brain, right?

And the Bible said Moses was like 900 and something years old.. as well as others.

Not saying that is true, but am asking: Is there other literature or documentation of people actually living that long back then? And if so, would you think they used more of their brain??

Well if they did how come it took so long for technology to boom? I mean the last 150 years flat own the last 2000 technology wise right?

Sometimes I wonder, if we used 50% of our brain, could we bend spoons with our mind? Levitate? etc etc...

Obviously opinions will vary, but me thinks there is some reason behind why we use such little of what's up there. And why the average lifespan of a human is continuously dropping over the decades. We smoke, eat, and fuck our bodies up with drugs and crap so it's no wonder the average lifespan is dropping.

See this is why I shouldn't have quit smoking weed. I get to wondering crazy shit. I just find it hard to believe we die and just turn into soil for grass to grow. To me there has to be a reason we are the supreme beings on this planet. God, the big bang, evolution, whatever you believe in is fine. But no big bang made this earth, you could sit there and listen to scientists make any fucking thing sound logical, just like the Bible tries to do. I just fail to believe we just die and that's that.

I know I'm all over the map here but damn, I can't help but to wonder if people really did live 100s of years back then? Or wonder why we have such a large brain and hardly use any of it? There has to be a reason why. And we're all to fucking dumb to ever know. So yeah just give your shitty opinion if you want.

mrsmaalox
06-24-2008, 01:21 AM
I don't remember the exact number, but something around 20 percent is all we use of our brain, right?

And the Bible said Moses was like 900 and something years old.. as well as others.

Not saying that is true, but am asking: Is there other literature or documentation of people actually living that long back then? And if so, would you think they used more of their brain??

Well if they did how come it took so long for technology to boom? I mean the last 150 years flat own the last 2000 technology wise right?

Sometimes I wonder, if we used 50% of our brain, could we bend spoons with our mind? Levitate? etc etc...

Obviously opinions will vary, but me thinks there is some reason behind why we use such little of what's up there. And why the average lifespan of a human is continuously dropping over the decades. We smoke, eat, and fuck our bodies up with drugs and crap so it's no wonder the average lifespan is dropping.

See this is why I shouldn't have quit smoking weed. I get to wondering crazy shit. I just find it hard to believe we die and just turn into soil for grass to grow. To me there has to be a reason we are the supreme beings on this planet. God, the big bang, evolution, whatever you believe in is fine. But no big bang made this earth, you could sit there and listen to scientists make any fucking thing sound logical, just like the Bible tries to do. I just fail to believe we just die and that's that.

I know I'm all over the map here but damn, I can't help but to wonder if people really did live 100s of years back then? Or wonder why we have such a large brain and hardly use any of it? There has to be a reason why. And we're all to fucking dumb to ever know. So yeah just give your shitty opinion if you want.

You came up with all this not smoking weed?

Mister Sinister
06-24-2008, 01:29 AM
Newtypes are the future! Humanity must migrate into space to unlock more of their potential and take the next evolutionary step! Sieg Zeon!

marini martini
06-24-2008, 01:30 AM

See this is why I shouldn't have quit smoking weed. I get to wondering crazy shit. I just find it hard to believe we die and just turn into soil for grass, I just fail to believe we just die and that's that.

Please, go back to herb:hat

Brutalis
06-24-2008, 02:51 AM
Oh come the fuck on people. Like you don't wonder shit like this or worse. Give me a fucking break.

ShoogarBear
06-24-2008, 04:20 AM
Go watch Defending Your Life.

Brutalis
06-24-2008, 04:45 AM
Go watch Defending Your Life.

Saw it a long while ago. Meryl Streep makes me want to puke. Decent movie however.

Extra Stout
06-24-2008, 07:51 AM
Telescoping genealogies.

peewee's lovechild
06-24-2008, 08:24 AM
We use 100% of the brain 100% of the time.

Well, you might be the exception to the rule.

tlongII
06-24-2008, 08:50 AM
I'm guessing he's from Arkansas...

remingtonbo2001
06-24-2008, 10:39 AM

Ok, because I've asked myself similar questions, I'll give you the answers I've found.

Okay, if we were able to use a larger percentage of our brain we would be able to multi-task (to a much greater extent), our recollection would be quicker, more accurate, and our memories would be greatly improved.

Bending spoons, ect, has more to do with perception and belief.

An example; When I was child I believed I was going to be 6'3. Correct that, I knew that I was going to be 6'3. My family isn't significantly tall. I grew to be 6'3.

Some will say this is genetics, however, I believe it has more to do with perception and belief.

What corrilation is there between the brain and beliief? I'm not sure, only I know that it does exist.

Take that for what it is.

To the question of age during biblical tiimes.

How do you know what a year was during that time?

Is it possible that their perception of year was much shorter than ours?

peewee's lovechild
06-24-2008, 10:50 AM
We DO NOT only use 10% or our brains!!!

We use it all.

Here's Dr. Chudler from the University of Washington:

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/pdf/tenper.pdf

angel_luv
06-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Maybe if we used more of our brains at once the quality of our work would decrease.

Maybe we use all our brains throughout the course of our lives- just not all of it 100% of the time.

monosylab1k
06-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Bending spoons, ect, has more to do with perception and belief.

An example; When I was child I believed I was going to be 6'3. Correct that, I knew that I was going to be 6'3. My family isn't significantly tall. I grew to be 6'3.

Some will say this is genetics, however, I believe it has more to do with perception and belief.

I kinda agree with this. I think genetics are a large factor, but the human mind can "will" your body at times, and people with especially strong wills can acheive those things despite genetics. I think that can explain Michael Jordan, whose entire family was short, suddenly growing six inches or whatever in one summer. I think it explains a lot of basketball players and other athletes, because when you're constantly around other tall people, your mind will start willing your body to grow to keep up with them. Obviously genetics & nutrition have something to do with it as well, and it doesn't work for most people, but I do think that the human mind is capable of this sort of thing.

monosylab1k
06-24-2008, 10:57 AM
You know how they say we only use 10 percent of our brains? I think we only use 10 percent of our hearts.

angel_luv
06-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Some people say we only use 20% of our brains. I say we only use 20% of our hearts.

awww. :)

mrsmaalox
06-24-2008, 11:04 AM

We use it all.

Maybe Mr. Brutalis' belief comes from the fact that only a percentage of the brain is used cognitively? Please find and post us an article that tells us the exact percentage. Thank you. :) I need to know!

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Moses was actually an alien in case you didn't know.

The next Indy movie is going to tie it all together.

peewee's lovechild
06-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Maybe Mr. Brutalis' belief comes from the fact that only a percentage of the brain is used cognitively? Please find and post us an article that tells us the exact percentage. Thank you. :) I need to know!

Not all parts of the brain are used for cognitive purposes.

That doesn't change the fact that we use 100% or our brains all the time.

peewee's lovechild
06-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Moses was actually an alien in case you didn't know.

The next Indy movie is going to tie it all together.

He used drugs, a marijuana like plant.

remingtonbo2001
06-24-2008, 11:18 AM

We use it all.

How can Dr. Chudler claim that an individual uses 100% of their brain, when there is no definitive answer to the precise makeup and function of the brain.

Yes, at this point in time, there is a vast amount of knowledge with regard to the brain. However, humanity hasn't come close to realizing the vast complexities and potential of the human mind.

mrsmaalox
06-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Not all parts of the brain are used for cognitive purposes.

That doesn't change the fact that we use 100% or our brains all the time.

Yes I understand that. But you need to find out (since you have infinite resources at hand) exactly how much is used cognitively and get back to me. I think it's a MENSA test question or something, so I'd like to know.

angel_luv
06-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Likely much more important than how much of our brains we are using is what we are using our brains for.

peewee's lovechild
06-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Yes I understand that. But you need to find out (since you have infinite resources at hand) exactly how much is used cognitively and get back to me. I think it's a MENSA test question or something, so I'd like to know.

I'm too lazy to look it up.

And, I'm eating candy.

mrsmaalox
06-24-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm too lazy to look it up.

And, I'm eating candy.

Worthless.

peewee's lovechild
06-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Worthless.

Like the sandbags you refer to as tits.

mrsmaalox
06-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Like the sandbags you refer to as tits.

Bite me.

peewee's lovechild
06-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Bite me.

You're sanbags are definitely more than 10% of your body.

angel_luv
06-24-2008, 11:28 AM
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006042401121

http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/how.html

Not so much answers as some interesting ideas.

mrsmaalox
06-24-2008, 11:31 AM
You're sanbags are definitely more than 10% of your body.

As are yours.

BRHornet45
06-24-2008, 11:34 AM
mrsmaalox ... is that you in the signature picture??