PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Reviews

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Just wondering, what sites you guys prefer for accurate video game reviews?

MavDynasty
06-24-2008, 10:18 AM
ign,even tho gta4's rating was bullshit

9.5ish at best

leemajors
06-24-2008, 10:35 AM
shacknews sometimes for user reviews.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2008, 10:40 AM
ign

Cry Havoc
06-24-2008, 10:40 AM
1up.com
and
Gamespot.com

Although this is in HEAVY collaboration with user reviews and an accumulated score from multiple websites.

Some review sites favor certain genres more than others. Some are just paid off. I find 1up is usually pretty critical towards most games unless they are utterly brilliant.

NASpurs
06-24-2008, 11:30 AM
I use this site:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/

It averages the scores given for games by all major game sites. Gamerankings.com is similar.

Here's an example for Alone in the Dark:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/aloneinthedark

then you can read a synopsis of what the critics said.

baseline bum
06-24-2008, 11:38 AM
I don't trust any of the written reviews. I usually watch the video reviews at IGN, and pay more attention to what I see than what I hear out of the reviewer.

IGN's 10.0 on GTA4 was asinine. 10.0 should have been reserved for games that are perfect, and GTA4 sure as hell isn't.

NASpurs
06-24-2008, 11:43 AM
IGN's 10.0 on GTA4 was asinine. 10.0 should have been reserved for games that are perfect, and GTA4 sure as hell isn't.

Pretty hard to do since nothing is perfect in this world.

NASpurs
06-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Speaking of video reviews, Gametrailers.com are the best IMO.

rAm
06-24-2008, 01:05 PM
I use IGN, even though sometimes they get carried away (ala GTA) they break down the game the best and give very good summaries and rating systems if you don't feel like reading the whole review.

I think GTA got such a high number (not only from them but from other sites as well) because it was the first real quality game game that had come out in a long while. If it wasn't for GTA 1 - 3, GTA 4 would have been considered one of the best games of all time.

Mister Sinister
06-24-2008, 01:08 PM
I don't, unless reviews for something are overwhelmingly, across-the-board bad.

Cry Havoc
06-24-2008, 01:31 PM
I use IGN, even though sometimes they get carried away (ala GTA) they break down the game the best and give very good summaries and rating systems if you don't feel like reading the whole review.

I think GTA got such a high number (not only from them but from other sites as well) because it was the first real quality game game that had come out in a long while. If it wasn't for GTA 1 - 3, GTA 4 would have been considered one of the best games of all time.

But that's the point. GTA4 IS GTA 1 2 and 3 with better graphics. Period. End of story.

Edit: Okay so I'm an idiot and thought we were talking about Gran Turismo. I always fucking do that. :(

baseline bum
06-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Pretty hard to do since nothing is perfect in this world.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time was

baseline bum
06-24-2008, 04:02 PM

GTA4 isn't nearly as good as San Andreas or Vice City. Those games had much better storylines, and didn't get preachy like GTA4. Niko is a worse protagonist than even Fido. San Andreas had a much better city, and the gang wars blew away anything in GTA4.

Sense
06-24-2008, 07:32 PM
gamespot and ign...

Slydragon
06-24-2008, 07:44 PM
www.ign.com to read them

www.Gametrailers.com to see them since they are moslty video reviews.

I used to go to www.gamespot.com until a reviewer was fired for giving a game a low score and the game company which had paid the site to advertise there game very heavy got piss.

Avitus1
06-24-2008, 09:54 PM
I use this site:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/

It averages the scores given for games by all major game sites. Gamerankings.com is similar.

Here's an example for Alone in the Dark:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/aloneinthedark

then you can read a synopsis of what the critics said.

I also use metacritic its good for reviews on just about everything.

ynh
06-24-2008, 11:02 PM
Gametrailers IMO have the best video reviews.

deadratsam
06-24-2008, 11:58 PM
I usually look at conversations on message boards at gamefaqs.

Based on the topic and post numbers and the type of discussion, I can usually see if a game is actually entertaining and not just popular.

TacoCabanaFajitas
06-25-2008, 11:10 AM
The only site I have gone to on a daily basis for the last 10 years in http://gamerevolution.com they have the best written reviews I have seen online and if you want to skip all of the reading they have a report card with every one that list the + and -'s

dallaskd
06-25-2008, 10:12 PM
I just use Game Informer