PDA

View Full Version : Stephen A Smith demoted from the NBA Draft Analyst Panel

tlongII
06-24-2008, 10:12 AM
This is from the Miami Herald (http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/576676.html). Apparently he'll take on the role of the draft pick interviewer.

In his previous draft-night role alongside Bilas, Smith's rants were too much to stomach. He relentlessly ridiculed the Portland Trail Blazers two years ago, saying they didn't know what they were doing as they made multiple moves that resulted in acquiring Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge, who have developed into terrific players.

Smith looks foolish in retrospect, and his loud rip jobs detracted from ESPN's presentation.

This part's a bit condescending...

...though Smith still will be allowed to offer occasional opinions.

:lmao

Spur-Addict
06-24-2008, 10:14 AM
He's biased anyways, alot are but he's just open about it and doesn't care. Media should just report the facts even though that may seem bland or boring for some. That's my opinion.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Good riddance.
He doesn't know shit about the draft.

O-Factor
06-24-2008, 10:42 AM
I hate his condesending attitude....

AA2120
06-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Hahaha

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-24-2008, 10:47 AM

jack sommerset
06-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Smith needs to get his facts first, then he can distort them as he pleases. I like the guy but he has fallen in love with his own voice to the point he makes no sense.

angel_luv
06-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Quite frankly, I applaud this decision. :)

dbreiden83080
06-24-2008, 11:14 AM
:lmao:lmao:lmao

This guy has gotten fired or cancelled from basically everything he has done in the last few years. Lets review

TV Show- Cancelled
Philadelphia Inquirer Column-Stripped from Him
Radio Show Cancelled

Now, he has been demoted as an anaylist at the draft, LOL. What is funny is he does not seem to get that people are sick of his rants and overall attitude. He always thought he was funny when he trashed the cities he did not want to go to in the playoffs, yet nobody laughed but his dumb ass. He will likely be gone from ESPN for good soon.

xtremesteven33
06-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Bill Walton owns Stephen A

dbreiden83080
06-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Oh yeah and Stuart Scott is the worst host in all of sports, get rid of him too please. The fact that ESPN loves him is hilarious, he is clueless and annoying.

xtremesteven33
06-24-2008, 11:28 AM
most annoying on ESPN:

1. Stuart Scott
2. Stuart Scott
3. Stuart Scott
4. Dana Jacobson
5. Dana Jacobson
6. Dana Jacobson

Spur-Addict
06-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Bill Walton owns Stephen A

He's biased as well, with his little smug smile. What happened to your son in the finals Bill? Oh yeah, I remember now. :lol

dbreiden83080
06-24-2008, 11:31 AM
most annoying on ESPN:

1. Stuart Scott
2. Stuart Scott
3. Stuart Scott
4. Dana Jacobson
5. Dana Jacobson
6. Dana Jacobson

Remember Scott last year was riding Lebron James jock, even though he was playing like shit against the Spurs and giving incorrect stats. His anaylisis on the games also sucks, he is just there to blurt out his dumb-ass catchphrases.

JamStone
06-24-2008, 11:40 AM

At least he knows the NBA. I mean didn't he predict the Denver Nuggets would either win the NBA championship or at least come out of the West this past year?

xtremesteven33
06-24-2008, 11:47 AM
He's biased as well, with his little smug smile. What happened to your son in the finals Bill? Oh yeah, I remember now. :lol

yea but walton is entertaining!

his analysis are not the greatest but i also get a kick out of every little thing he says or does.

xtremesteven33
06-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Remember Scott last year was riding Lebron James jock, even though he was playing like shit against the Spurs and giving incorrect stats. His anaylisis on the games also sucks, he is just there to blurt out his dumb-ass catchphrases.

did you all also catch how he would always insult jon barry all the time?

and barry would just give a fake smile like hes really saying

"stupid jerk"

jacobdrj
06-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Most annoying at ESPN:

Hubie Brown <The John Madden of the NBA
Bill Walton <A parody of himself. Less than John Madden. Doesn't even make basketball sense 80% of the time.
Jack Ramsey <For a former NBA Championship coach, and a PhD, he sure sounds clueless. Dementia?

Yeah, that covers it.

I like Mike Breen.
I don't mind Stephen A so much. He is a bit repetitive, but he is passionate.
I like John Barry, but sometimes it becomes apparent why he wasn't nominated for any all defense teams in his mentality to basketball, not to mention the fact that most of his act is Monday-morning-quarterbacking.
I liked Tom Tolbert a lot. He seemed to have a unique grasp on reality. He wasn't always right, but at least he made sense, and was quite articulate.
Mike Breen is THE NBA commentator right now IMHO. He has totally supplanted the other announcers with his grasp of reality and his completely unbiased way of announcing games.
Jeff VanGundy confuses me. 1 minute he will say something so dumb that sheds light onto why he didn't win a championship, and the next minute he will say something so insightful and so spot-on. It befuddles me.
Anybody else miss Bob Costas?
Gumbles, all of them, blow.
Doug Collins generally does a good job. I don't think he brings that much to the table, but he is solid.
I am so glad Kerr is gone from the booth... Pre announcing, I used to think him, along with Horry, was HOF worthy. But with every sentence he spoke, I took him down a notch in respect points with me. He was close to negative territory. But he is not technically part of this list as he is no longer employed by TNT, or anybody else for that matter, in TV.
Woody Page used to be interesting, but has become a parody of himself.
Skip Bayless is a less entertaining version of Stephen A, and less credible IMHO.

Why is Dana Jacobson considered annoying?

Scott is a little anoying, but nowhere on the leval of Hubydoobydoo.

romad_20
06-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Most annoying at ESPN:

Hubie Brown <The John Madden of the NBA
Bill Walton <A parody of himself. Less than John Madden. Doesn't even make basketball sense 80% of the time.
Jack Ramsey <For a former NBA Championship coach, and a PhD, he sure sounds clueless. Dementia?

You are way off on those. Bill Walton is a parody of himself but he knows it, and Hubie and Dr Jack just flat out know Bball.

DazedAndConfused
06-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Cheez Doodles!!!!!

IronMexican
06-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Oh yeah and Stuart Scott is the worst host in all of sports, get rid of him too please. The fact that ESPN loves him is hilarious, he is clueless and annoying.

seriously, whenever they do a little bit on a player at half time, he comes back and says "if you're wondering those are tears rolling down you're eyes" like seriously, it was played out after the 10th time you said it, no need for a 20th.

jacobdrj
06-24-2008, 12:29 PM
You are way off on those. Bill Walton is a parody of himself but he knows it, and Hubie and Dr Jack just flat out know Bball.

If they know it, it never comes out on TV. They sound like bumbling idiots.
Hubie doesn't even sound like he is paying attention to the game most of the time.
Yes. We know. Rebounding and scoring is good, while turnovers and missed shots are bad.
Jack just does not show an understanding of modern basketball at all. He analyzes some aspects of the game, and it sounds like most of his comments are predicated on his prior relationships with certain head coaches, kind of like the old Red-Red rivalry.

dbreiden83080
06-24-2008, 01:33 PM
seriously, whenever they do a little bit on a player at half time, he comes back and says "if you're wondering those are tears rolling down you're eyes" like seriously, it was played out after the 10th time you said it, no need for a 20th.

Oh absolutely, i have seen enough of him over the years to know he is not very knowledgeable when it comes to sports. When he hosts these shows, he just sits there, throws it around to the experts and every now and then tosses in one of his 5 or 6 annoying and pointless catchphrases, the guy is useless.

Brutalis
06-24-2008, 01:35 PM
What happened to Bill Walton anyways?

xtremesteven33
06-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Cheez Doodles!!!!!

STEEEEEEVVEEEENNN.....HAHA

angelbelow
06-24-2008, 02:51 PM
good.

duncan228
06-24-2008, 03:25 PM
What happened to Bill Walton anyways?

I think he was down with his bad back most of this season.

rAm
06-24-2008, 03:43 PM
most annoying on ESPN:

1. Stuart Scott
2. Stuart Scott
3. Stuart Scott
4. Dana Jacobson
5. Dana Jacobson
6. Dana Jacobson

Give Stuart Scott a break. He was one of the best sportscenter anchors back in the day before ABC bought ESPN and started putting him everywhere that was important. He was never supposed to be a basketball expert, he was a TV personality and one of the best.

But I agree, he has definitely gone down hill once ESPN sold out and once the cancer treatment started.

IronMexican
06-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Oh absolutely, i have seen enough of him over the years to know he is not very knowledgeable when it comes to sports. When he hosts these shows, he just sits there, throws it around to the experts and every now and then tosses in one of his 5 or 6 annoying and pointless catchphrases, the guy is useless.

not really his fault though, he is taking the extra money ESPN is giving him from appearing on NBA countdown. i would put more of the blame on ESPN.

xtremesteven33
06-24-2008, 04:03 PM
not really his fault though, he is taking the extra money ESPN is giving him from appearing on NBA countdown. i would put more of the blame on ESPN.

I want my NBC

IronMexican
06-24-2008, 04:27 PM
I want my NBC

agreed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UooitEU6AtE

angelbelow
06-24-2008, 07:02 PM
to me, sas and stuart scott are tied in terms of tragedy on set.

Red Hawk #21
06-24-2008, 07:07 PM
agreed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UooitEU6AtE

Ahh that shit's great, brings back memories.

Red Hawk #21
06-24-2008, 07:07 PM
LOL @ Stephen A. Smith. Epic Fail

m33p0
06-24-2008, 08:11 PM
would be great if they came up with a number. :lol

T Park
06-24-2008, 09:13 PM
NBC sucked as well with Peter Vescey and Bob Costas being the "main studs"

Vescey in the studios and Costas who sucked as a PBP guy doing all the best games.

Behrooz24
06-24-2008, 09:23 PM
http://valdefierro.com/amen02.jpg

next, he should be demoted from life

SRJ
06-24-2008, 09:38 PM
My heart leapt with joy when I quickly read "Stephen A Smith demoted" because I mentally plugged in the phrase "from life"; sadly, a closer look sobered me up.

SenorSpur
06-24-2008, 11:21 PM
This is from the Miami Herald (http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/576676.html). Apparently he'll take on the role of the draft pick interviewer.

This part's a bit condescending...

Hallelujah! There is a God!

Avitus1
06-24-2008, 11:57 PM
If he could be demoted off my television it would be even better.

Strike
06-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Good riddance.

He doesn't know shit about anything except riding the bandwagon.

Spurtacus
06-25-2008, 11:34 PM
NBC intro was epic.

Fuck Stephen A. "full of" Shit. I hope he gets bitchslapped on national TV.

IronMexican
06-25-2008, 11:37 PM
NBC intro was epic.

Fuck Stephen A. "full of" Shit. I hope he gets bitchslapped on national TV.

I wish Sunday night football could steal the song, they are both NBC, or ABC could possibly buy the copyrights for the song? i can dream, right?