PDA

View Full Version : Wall-e

G-Nob
06-24-2008, 01:40 PM
I saw a screening for this movie last night and I'm not going to spoil it for anyone. I just wanted to give you a general perspective as to what to expect...

First off, the creativity is off the charts. Like most Pixar films, this one kinda gives you that feeling of can they replicate the genius of cars or monsters inc. again? The answer to that is a emphactic Hell Yes, They Can. I was so impressed by the incredible detail and the story is so intelligent.

One of the highlights of the film occurs before it even starts. A short film before it titled "Presto". There is usually a short film before every Pixar film and this one is great. I might have to go back to see it again just catch what I missed in "Presto".

Anyone expecting to fork out their 10 bucks this weekend for this one should not feel hesitant. Its worth every penny.

Brutalis
06-24-2008, 01:43 PM
I'll be sure to let my little cousin know!

Cry Havoc
06-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Definitely going to see this movie.

desflood
06-24-2008, 01:50 PM
I told my kids I'd take them to see it Friday if they could behave this week. The way things are going so far, they're not going to get to watch it until 2011.

T Park
06-24-2008, 01:52 PM
I believe a member of PIXAR's team passed away last year or two years ago, and this was his pet project so to speak or whatever.

Sounded interesting last summer.

DarkReign
06-24-2008, 02:25 PM
What a weird thread to find today.

Just yesterday, I found myself surfing the Wall-E website watching all the trailers and vignettes (sp?) because I found the commercial so amusing.

Im going to see this flick. I have no children. Let the accusations fly, pre-teens.

Brutalis
06-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Pixar actually came from Lucas Arts. He sold some animation division of his company or some shit, which turned out to be Pixar.

Whatever happened to Dreamworks?

leemajors
06-24-2008, 02:32 PM
they just released kung fu panda

to21
06-24-2008, 02:34 PM
they just released kung fu panda:lol Yeah I was gonna say that. Also, a funny movie.

I tell my friends even if I had didn't have kids, I'd still go check out these movies.

T Park
06-24-2008, 02:36 PM
What a weird thread to find today.

Just yesterday, I found myself surfing the Wall-E website watching all the trailers and vignettes (sp?) because I found the commercial so amusing.

Im going to see this flick. I have no children. Let the accusations fly, pre-teens.

I saw ratatouille last year and thought it was funny.

I'm with ya, I see movies that appeal to me, don't give a shit who they are made for.

slowchild25
06-24-2008, 02:37 PM
I told my kids I'd take them to see it Friday if they could behave this week. The way things are going so far, they're not going to get to watch it until 2011.

I keep telling my 3 1/2 year old she can only go if she's good this week and like your's it's not working out so well. But to be honest I think I'm too pumped to see it that anything short of her lighting the couch on fire we are going to see the movie on Friday. :lol

to21
06-24-2008, 02:38 PM
I saw ratatouille last year and thought it was funny.

I'm with ya, I see movies that appeal to me, don't give a shit who they are made for.:lol....another funny one.

I like to go into these movies and see if I can figure out the actor's voices.

Spurminator
06-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Pixar has yet to disappoint.

G-Nob
06-24-2008, 03:00 PM
They have another one coming out next year called Up. Not sure what the premise is but every time I see a preview of one, at first I'm like, that's where they'll jump the shark. Then dang it they strike gold again. Other upcoming titles: Cars 2, Toy Story 3, Toy Story 3-D, Newt (about blue-footed newts), and The Bear and the Bow.

peewee's lovechild
06-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Pixar actually came from Lucas Arts. He sold some animation division of his company or some shit, which turned out to be Pixar.

Whatever happened to Dreamworks?

You're right.

Lucas Arts owned it, but they felt that they weren't able to sustain it, so they let them go.

Big mistake.

Dreamworks just got a billion dollar loan from a Bollywood big wig to help them buy out their contract with Paramount (or was it Universal?). Spielberg and company wanted independence and it seems like they got it.

peewee's lovechild
06-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Oh, and Wall-e is going to kick ass.

06-24-2008, 03:33 PM
I've been wanting to see this (Using my kids as an excuse) ever since I heard about it.

One of the early questions about the movie was whether or not audiences would sit through half (that's what the original rumor was) a movie that essentially contained no dialogue. Sounds like the ploy worked G-Nob?

G-Nob
06-24-2008, 03:39 PM
You're following the story without the need for dialogue. It totally works.

desflood
06-24-2008, 03:40 PM
I keep telling my 3 1/2 year old she can only go if she's good this week and like your's it's not working out so well. But to be honest I think I'm too pumped to see it that anything short of her lighting the couch on fire we are going to see the movie on Friday. :lol
My daughter is 3 1/2 also. Aren't they something else again? And I thought the boys stretched my patience at that age...

For anybody who hasn't seen it, Kung Fu Panda was the (kid's) movie of the year. Quite funny. Just enough adult humor to make it really entertaining for the parents.

G-Nob
06-24-2008, 03:44 PM
Dreamworks does a good job too with the animation and humor. But you can tell Pixar is far and beyond better. Animation-wise and story-wise. I think if they kept the release dates spread out, they would continue to be appreciated by audiences.

TheSanityAnnex
06-24-2008, 08:04 PM
wall-e looks to be a blatant ripoff of Johnny 5 from Short Circuit.

macdude06
06-25-2008, 02:08 AM
just got done seeing WALL-E

it was pretty good

DarkReign
06-25-2008, 08:46 AM
wall-e looks to be a blatant ripoff of Johnny 5 from Short Circuit.

Aesthetically speaking strictly, I hope.

G-Nob
06-25-2008, 09:28 AM
I guess Wall-e and johnny 5 have the same eyes.
I promise Parker Stevens doesn't make a cameo.

TheSanityAnnex
06-25-2008, 11:15 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/underseth/johnnyfive.jpghttp://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/underseth/walle.png

MaNuMaNiAc
06-25-2008, 12:05 PM
I guess Wall-e and johnny 5 have the same eyes.
I promise Parker Stevens doesn't make a cameo.

Fisher Stevens you mean

Viva Las Espuelas
06-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Fisher Stevens you mean
Bimbo!

sa_butta
06-25-2008, 01:06 PM
I was at the screening last night as well. Took my daughter. It was really good. G-nob were you at the 7pm or 730pm?? I went to the 730pm. Disney Pixar always does a great job.

G-Nob
06-25-2008, 01:29 PM
I was at the screening last night as well. Took my daughter. It was really good. G-nob were you at the 7pm or 730pm?? I went to the 730pm. Disney Pixar always does a great job.

I went to the dallas observer screening monday at northpark in dallas. I think it started at 7:30.

Fisher Stevens you mean

Sorry. :)

sa_butta
06-25-2008, 01:40 PM
I went to the dallas observer screening monday at northpark in dallas. I think it started at 7:30.

Sorry. :)
Oh ok I went to San Antonio Huebner Oaks last night and I didnt pay attention to when you posted this thread.:lol

Gino
06-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Dreamworks sucks. Shrek was funny but the sequels were ridiculous. Shark Tale was bad (especially compared to Finding Nemo). Can't think of any others.

Dreamworks likes to cast voice actors solely based off name recognition instead of talent.

Justin Timberlake? Are you serious?

slowchild25
06-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Dreamworks sucks. Shrek was funny but the sequels were ridiculous. Shark Tale was bad (especially compared to Finding Nemo). Can't think of any others.

Dreamworks likes to cast voice actors solely based off name recognition instead of talent.

Dreamworks certainly has a lot more misses than hits. Although I did enjoy The Original Shrek, Madagascar and Over the Hedge, and I have not seen Kung Fu Panda yet but have heard good things about it. The others not so much.

0201rinckwater
06-25-2008, 02:44 PM

Well at the time he was banging the princess

cherylsteele
06-25-2008, 03:24 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/underseth/johnnyfive.jpghttp://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/underseth/walle.png
I am glad I am not the only one who thought this.

T Park
06-30-2008, 02:26 AM
After hearing that the plot is another "humans are evil and destroying the planet" talking down to movie. No thanks.

Disappointed in Pixar that they had to go this route and be political.

Spurtacus
06-30-2008, 02:43 AM
Will be seeing thsi on my next day off. Haven't been disappointed with a single Pixar film.

Blackjack
06-30-2008, 02:55 AM
They just straight jacked Johnny 5.

Los Lobos kick your ass...

Los Lobos kick your face...

Los Lobos kick your balls into outer-space!!! :lol

leemajors
06-30-2008, 09:07 AM
After hearing that the plot is another "humans are evil and destroying the planet" talking down to movie. No thanks.

why don't you just go see it, you're way off base.

stretch
06-30-2008, 09:08 AM
i saw it

i liked it

tpark has no idea what hes talking about as usual

desflood
06-30-2008, 09:11 AM

I have to agree. We took the kids to see it and it was a cute movie and all, but after we walked out I told my hubby, "If I have to watch one more kids' movie with a big social message (WALL-E actually had several), you're taking the kids to movies by yourself from now on."

On the other hand, the short film before (Presto!) was the best Pixar short yet. Absolutely adorable.

CuckingFunt
06-30-2008, 09:18 AM

I envy you.

It must be convenient to have people who can tell you how to feel about something so that you don't have to expend the energy necessary to watch it yourself and make up your own mind. Critical thinking is far too taxing.

stretch
06-30-2008, 09:26 AM
I envy you.

It must be convenient to have people who can tell you how to feel about something so that you don't have to expend the energy necessary to watch it yourself and make up your own mind. Critical thinking is far too taxing.

:toast

johnsmith
06-30-2008, 09:31 AM
I envy you.

Judging by the photos I've seen on this site, Tpark hasn't expended any energy in years.

Fabbs
06-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Very dissapointed in WALLE.

I'm not even sure T-Park and the other neo-cons need to see it for themselves. Altho the North Pole has not melted yet in WALLE world of 700 years from now. That's one fantacy they may enjoy.

stretch
06-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Judging by the photos I've seen on this site, Tpark hasn't expended any energy in years.

lol

MavDynasty
06-30-2008, 09:38 AM
I saw it,it was pretty good.Slow paced storyline IMO and yeah it is about how shitty the humans made the earth but overall move is 8.5/10

MavDynasty
06-30-2008, 09:41 AM

he said hes starting to "lose weight"

06-30-2008, 09:54 AM
I guess I went in expecting more, and while I enjoyed it, I was a bit underwhelmed.

Now, the short before Wall-E? That had me laughing so hard I teared up and the wife and daughter acting like they really didn't know me.

MavDynasty
06-30-2008, 09:55 AM
I guess I went in expecting more, and while I enjoyed it, I was a bit underwhelmed.

Now, the short before Wall-E? That had me laughing so hard I teared up and the wife and daughter acting like they really didn't know me.

yeah that was the best 5 minutes of my life lol

Southwest Texas Fan
06-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Saw the movie this weekend and thought it was great. I thought I would have problems with it because the lack of dialogue but the movie is very intelligently made. The IMDB gave it something like 9.3 stars but that might be a little to many.

stretch
06-30-2008, 11:31 AM
he said hes starting to "lose weight"

is he eating fiber rich foods?

stretch
06-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Saw the movie this weekend and thought it was great. I thought I would have problems with it because the lack of dialogue but the movie is very intelligently made. The IMDB gave it something like 9.3 stars but that might be a little to many.

i agree. a lot of people i think found it boring due to the lack of dialogue, but i personally liked it a lot. it was very different, and as you say, was very intelligently made.

T Park
06-30-2008, 01:49 PM
I envy you.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize reading the plot was enough to make a decision on something.

Move along

T Park
06-30-2008, 01:50 PM

judging by your comments on this site your a lonely fuck who has nothing better to do.

stretch
06-30-2008, 01:59 PM
judging by your comments on this site your a lonely fuck who has nothing better to do.

lol defensive

stretch
06-30-2008, 02:00 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't realize reading the plot was enough to make a decision on something.

Move along

this post failed

T Park
06-30-2008, 02:02 PM
this post failed

A maverick fan would know fail I guess.

Sorry that reading the plot and deciding not to see a movie is not good enough for your pea brain to handle.

0201rinckwater
06-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Its called "suspension of disbelief"

stretch
06-30-2008, 02:07 PM
A maverick fan would know fail I guess.

Sorry that reading the plot and deciding not to see a movie is not good enough for your pea brain to handle.

fail

again

Spurminator
06-30-2008, 02:08 PM
The message is not overtly political. Unless you find pollution and laziness to be political issues.

For me, it was the best movie I've seen this year. My only problem was that (slight spoiler in gray) ---> I thought the happy ending was a bit too forced.

Pixar scores again.

CuckingFunt
06-30-2008, 04:33 PM
Sorry that reading the plot and deciding not to see a movie is not good enough

Did you read the plot/script, though? Or did you read someone else's summation of the plot?

I just find it funny, all things considered, because the consumption/environmental angle is not even the most prevalent of the film's underlying themes. Its (mildly) preachy side is actually focused much more on humanity as a whole turning into mindless, gluttonous drones who accept everything that's told to them rather than actually interacting with their world/surroundings.

johnsmith
06-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Did you read the plot/script, though? Or did you read someone else's summation of the plot?

I just find it funny, all things considered, because the consumption/environmental angle is not even the most prevalent of the film's underlying themes. Its (mildly) preachy side is actually focused much more on humanity as a whole turning into mindless, gluttonous drones who accept everything that's told to them rather than actually interacting with their world/surroundings.

:lol:lol:lol:lol

Tpark, you've just been virtually bitch slapped..............................again.

mFFL03
06-30-2008, 09:55 PM
presto was the best part of the film?

oh jesus de christo....

Slydragon
06-30-2008, 10:37 PM
The message is not overtly political. Unless you find pollution and laziness to be political issues.

For me, it was the best movie I've seen this year. My only problem was that (slight spoiler in gray) ---> I thought the happy ending was a bit too forced.

Pixar scores again.

I like how you did the spoiler text.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l266/Revolos55/Macros/GuinnessBrilliant.jpg

Whisky Dog
06-30-2008, 11:05 PM
humanity as a whole turning into mindless, gluttonous drones who accept everything that's told to them rather than actually interacting with their world/surroundings.

That sounds about right.

spursfor5
07-02-2008, 08:34 AM
Fantastic movie. Most intelligent film this year. All of this from an animated movie just shows how times are changing. Thank you Pixar for telling a story not everyone wants to hear because it may not be "convenient." There were numerous levels of interpretation in this movie and even more themes.

When I saw the movie I was in a theater with about 30-40 kindergarten aged kids and they sat through the "silent part" of the movie tacit as can be. Political messages aside, I have never seen a movie captivate a group of rambunctious kids as well as this movie did. And there wasn't even any dialog in the first half. Pixar is truly amazing.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-02-2008, 12:19 PM
I took the munchkin to see it this past weekend and he loved it...I loved it too.

Pixar does some great work.

It made a political statement, no doubt, but I took it as a very well-done kids' movie. It was fiction and you have to take it as that.

I don't understand why no one's complaining about the fact that there was artificial gravity on a space based cruise ship that wasn't spinning on a central axis, and that it was able to sustain an entire civilization for 700 years when it was built for 5.

Why do we just enjoy the movie and not care about these things? Because it's a freaking cartoon!

mFFL03
07-02-2008, 05:00 PM
I took the munchkin to see it this past weekend and he loved it...I loved it too.

Pixar does some great work.

It made a political statement, no doubt, but I took it as a very well-done kids' movie. It was fiction and you have to take it as that.

I don't understand why no one's complaining about the fact that there was artificial gravity on a space based cruise ship that wasn't spinning on a central axis, and that it was able to sustain an entire civilization for 700 years when it was built for 5.

Why do we just enjoy the movie and not care about these things? Because it's a freaking cartoon!

I'll complain...

complain about the looney toones rip off that was Presto!!

slayermin
07-03-2008, 01:46 AM
I liked it.

But they did steal some ideas from "Short Circuit" and to a lesser degree, "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "Blade Runner."

For a kids film, I thought it was quite creative and intellectually stimulating.

RandomGuy
07-03-2008, 09:06 AM
About the political statement:

Dysotopias (broken societies) make for more interesting dramas than things in which everything is just fine.

If the whole point of a movie is to have tension/drama, you can't have everything copasetic. That would make for a very boring movie.

Set aside your politics for a bit, settle in and enjoy the movie for what it is: a funny love story.

RandomGuy
07-03-2008, 09:07 AM
I liked it.

But they did steal some ideas from "Short Circuit" and to a lesser degree, "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "Blade Runner."

For a kids film, I thought it was quite creative and intellectually stimulating.

There is a difference between "stealing" and paying tribute to something.

07-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Anyone else pick up on the Pixar/Apple connections made at certain points throughout the movie?

RandomGuy
07-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Anyone else pick up on the Pixar/Apple connections made at certain points throughout the movie?

Yes, I did.

Macs are used for most computer graphics applications, because they tend to be better at handling the data.

Given the craptacular Vista operating system that will be forced by Microsoft on an unwilling public, I can guess that more than a few people will also be buying macs too.

If you haven't used Vista yet, be prepared to spend hours and hours of time re-learning everything about MS word, MS excel, and how to use the computer. :bang

slowchild25
07-03-2008, 11:59 AM

Yea I liked that when he was done charging it made the chime of an apple starting up. Or the fact that he was using an iPod to watch his hello dolly tape. My daughter saw the iPod and she screamed "He has a little TV just like daddy!!"

leemajors
07-03-2008, 12:25 PM

Ivey, who designed the iPod and iPhone among other things, designed Eve. Wall-e's MacOS bootup sound was funny too.

Taco
12-03-2008, 02:08 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/underseth/walle.png

http://www.moviesoundclips.net/movies1/wall-e/wall-e.mp3

http://www.moviesoundclips.net/movies1/wall-e/eve.mp3

Spurminator
12-03-2008, 02:11 PM
I know a lot of the Oscar-wannabe films are coming out in the next month or so, but for me, this is the best movie that came out this year.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-03-2008, 02:17 PM
I know a lot of the Oscar-wannabe films are coming out in the next month or so, but for me, this is the best movie that came out this year.

My son now has the DVD and I think he's watched it a dozen times or so. I think he would agree with your assessment.

ORION
12-03-2008, 02:24 PM
My son now has the DVD and I think he's watched it a dozen times or so. I think he would agree with your assessment.

I want to get my son the remote controlled Wall-e

desflood
12-03-2008, 02:27 PM
I want to get my son the remote controlled Wall-e
I think we're going to get the Eve for our girl.

bigzak25
12-03-2008, 03:07 PM
got tired of the damn redbox not having it, so had to bite the bullet and drop the 20 on it...

was a good flick.

balli
12-03-2008, 03:33 PM
got tired of the damn redbox not having it, so had to bite the bullet and drop the 20 on it...

was a good flick.
I agree, great movie, but are you really that ethical a person? I've downloaded 3 different copies of it so far.

Taco
12-03-2008, 03:33 PM

was a good flick.

Dude Reserve it online that way your sure to get the movie you want

50 cent
12-05-2008, 09:30 PM
It's supposed to be one of the best BluRay movies you can see. Haven't seen it yet, but I might buy it just for the great picture.

Slydragon
12-05-2008, 09:34 PM
It's supposed to be one of the best BluRay movies you can see. Haven't seen it yet, but I might buy it just for the great picture.

Just watch it on BluRay, it look good but my show off piece would still be the Planet Earth BluRay.

Saw it with my PS3 on a 47" 1080p@24fps.

RandomGuy
12-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Great movie.

Bought it for the kids for christmas.

Slomo
12-08-2008, 03:24 PM
How about "Presto" the movie that in theaters was shown before Wall-e. It cracks me up every time I see it :lol

PM5K
12-08-2008, 05:47 PM
It wasn't anywhere near as good as I'd hoped, and the kids didn't like it nearly as much as movies like Toy Story or Cars....

sonic21
12-08-2008, 08:04 PM
one of the best animated movie just behind the Lion King and Toy story.

LaMarcus Bryant
12-08-2008, 09:13 PM
This movie was alright I guess, I felt sorry for WallE when he was about to get destroyed. But where the fuck does Disney Pixar get off to satirizing fat, lazy, over-consuming, bovine westerners when that is the exactly the type of human being that has made them all rich?

Pretty weak.