PDA

View Full Version : Horry's future: Do you guys want him brought back?

whottt
02-01-2005, 01:55 AM
And how much are you willing to pay to ensure it?

I remember at the beginning of the season there was a lot of talk about what to do with Horry, a few people thought he was done, a few people wanted to dump him for Scola(even though we don't have to make that choice)...

I'm just wondering what the mood of the board is towards Horry now...

IMO, and this is akin to blasphemy in Spursville, well remember when we were wondering how we were going to replace David Robinson? I'm not gonna say we totally replaced Dave...but the reason we haven't missed him as much as we thought we would is because of Mr.Horry.

At the end of his career Drob was described as a role player to the Nth degree...and that's what Horry has been for most of his career...he's not the defender Drob was but he still makes things happen similar to the way Drob did with his D...and even though most people don't think of Drob as being clutch, he turned into what I would call a clutch defensive player at the end of his career(see game 5 VS LA in 03 to get an idea what I mean by this).

So my question is...do you guys think it's a no-brainer that Scola is going to step in and replace Horry? Do you think we should let Horry run off?

And if Horry is still clutch(as I believe him to be)...there is a very good chance he will get offered more than the min this offseason...do you guys think it is worth busting into the MLE to keep him? For say, 2.5 mil per season?

I personally think if you have a player like Horry you keep him unless he starts getting stupid offers from other teams. I'd just as soon see Horry finish his career with the Spurs.

#1.I don't like facing that mofo in the post season.
#2.I think he has the type of game(intelligence based) that will enable him to play well into his mid late 30's.

I just think that if he goes we would miss him a lot more that the stats would show...

I believe there is still only 1 man in NBA history who has had the versatility to tally 100 blocks, 100 steals, and 100 three pointers in the same season...Mr. Horry.

That's what you call a role player to the Nth degree.

I think we should put quite a bit of thought into it before deciding to let him go to another team.

usckk
02-01-2005, 01:59 AM
Of course, we bring him back. The only reason the Spurs will not do it is if he's asking more than 2 million.

whottt
02-01-2005, 02:01 AM
Well I think Houston is going to try and get him this offseason...Van Gundy loves him.

I'd just as soon not see Horry on that Rockets team...I've kinda got bad memories of that pairing.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-01-2005, 02:14 AM
Van Gundy might be out of a job by the end of the year.

I want to keep Horry, unless he asks for the whole MLE. But I don't think he will.

Mr. Body
02-01-2005, 02:24 AM
Keep Will Smith as long as he wants to stay. He's a total pro, excellent role player. If Scola's great, he can bury on the bench. If Scola needs seasoning, Horry can still play. Question is more, when does he want to retire?

manustarting2gd
02-01-2005, 02:29 AM
I heard that too Whott, plus he has a sick daughter in Houston he probably would like to be closer to. I say definitely add him in to the team for next season along with Scola.

TheWriter
02-01-2005, 03:02 AM
With Scola coming next season, his role will be drasticly reduced.

TDrules01
02-01-2005, 03:09 AM
Keep him he helps spread the floor for duncan. plus he never forces a shot(like malik) and he is plays hard on both ends. not sure if you noticed but everytime he gets the ball his first look is at duncan...he knows his role and he is a MUST keep.

If he plays well during playoffs pop will keep him.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-01-2005, 03:42 AM
I think spurs fans expectations of Horry were too high last year.... He was expected to hit every big shot in the playoffs

san antonio spurs
02-01-2005, 03:54 AM
two options I see Horry making come the offseason
Retire: not bad at all with 6 rings (yep the spurs will give him that) so he can go and take care of his daughter

stay:stay for one more year (yeah, only one, let's be realistic) for the vet min or 2M max, he's not interested by money,but by playin for good teams, he never played for crap teams,and never will
________
COLORADO MARIJUANA DISPENSARY (http://colorado.dispensaries.org/)

xcoriate
02-01-2005, 05:53 AM
You keep Horry if the option is there, he makes noise in the playoffs, and he is starting to show hustle in the reg season. If Horry is hustling we have no need for Malik Rose.

Horry and Scola as backup bigs is great depth, add a tall 7 footer who can block some shots and its one of the best in the league.

Horry is savvy, intelligent and knows how to pass the ball, he can guard the tallers 3s as well if push comes to shove. For the vet minimum he is one of the best buys in the league.

Brodels
02-01-2005, 07:07 AM
With Scola coming next season, his role will be drasticly reduced.

It's way too early to know that. Scola hasn't even played an NBA game yet and nobody knows how he's going to perform.

I'm happy having Horry on the bench. I wouldn't mind seeing the team find a young guy with some potential and giving him some playing time to develop. But Horry is a good guy to have around. If I had to choose between Malik and Horry straight up, I would pick Malik. But If I had to choose between Malik with his current contract and Horry at the vet min, I would certainly choose Horry.

His best days are behind him, but he still knows how to play the game and he doesn't make stupid decisions while he's out there. If he wants to play for the vet minimum or a little bit more, keep him. If other teams offer him $2-3 million, which I personally don't think will happen, you've got to consider letting him go with Rose under contract and Scola coming in.

missmyzte
02-01-2005, 08:16 AM
Of course Horry will be back, he has a player's option on his contract for next year. Although there is a good chance that he could retire after next season, unfortunately.

samikeyp
02-01-2005, 08:27 AM
If he doesn't retire...then do what you can to keep him...if for no other reason, veteran leadership in the locker room.

That and I don't want to lose Misti on the boards! :)

SpursWoman
02-01-2005, 09:10 AM
If he doesn't retire...then do what you can to keep him...if for no other reason, veteran leadership in the locker room.

......and his hell-ified shot blocking. :wow :)

CHAMPS AGAIN
02-01-2005, 09:20 AM
Hello,we are 37-10 best team in the NBA,you guys already talking about if Horry comes back next season,let's enjoy this GREAT season and talk about it after the river parade.

samikeyp
02-01-2005, 09:39 AM
and his hell-ified shot blocking.

exactly! That block he had in the 4th was nasty!

Jimcs50
02-01-2005, 09:43 AM
Yes, if he is playing as well next Summer as he is now.

BigVee
02-01-2005, 09:49 AM
Absolutely, with Malik covering his head, and Rasho out, and Marks spinning around out there like who know what....where would the Spurs be without Horry right now?

genghisrex
02-01-2005, 10:26 AM
I'd keep Horry around as long as he's still able to play and willing to do so at a reasonable price. He's a good guy and brings plenty of intelligence, intangibles and experience at both ends of the floor. I think Houston is really our only competition for his services and hopefully he'll choose to stay here after building up some relationships with the Spurs organization and players.

The Spurs also will have early bird rights on Horry this summer (depending on what happens with the CBA I suppose) so they won't have to dip into the MLE to give him a raise. I think that a 2-year deal for $4-5 million (total) would be a good deal for the Spurs.

boutons
02-01-2005, 10:38 AM
I think he should come back in 05/06, for his 7th ring. :)

But more importantly, Pop loves the guy, so Horry will be back if Horry wants to come back. He gets is aging ass in good shape, fighting weight, he won't be that much worse than this year. I get the impression he's popular with the other Spurs, and is presentable and articulate enough to speak to the press.

Maybe he wants to retire with the home-town Rockets?

( I still wanna see if Luis can earn his Spurs in the NBA. He really seems like another winner and whatever-it-takes guy like Manu. Off that Argie team, Manu has excelled, while Carlos and Andres are certainly doing well enough in their first NBA years. I expect Luis to do the same. 4 players off one national team in the NBA would be amazing. (and 2 with the Spurs).)

ChumpDumper
02-01-2005, 11:19 PM
Keep him for the minimum or let him take his option. No one will pay him more.

Jdspur20
02-01-2005, 11:27 PM
i think it depends on what happens to the spurs this year, if we win the title, i see him retiring, if we don't, he will probibly pick up his player option, and give one more go around.

T Park
02-01-2005, 11:29 PM
bring him back, replace Massenburg with SCola,

keep the same bigman rotation as this season.

A guy like Horry teaching Scola is nothing but good stuff.

Horry is the smartest player I have ever seen.

That and his intestinal fortitude is unreal.

Clutch baskets last night, and the past few games, Horry is an amazing player.

When Nesterovic comes back, I hope that Malik can pull his head out of his ass, so Horry doesnt get burnt out for the playoffs.

but if the Spurs dont play the Lakers, ALA VS Memphis first round last year,

Horry could be his old self.

People forget how awesome he played against Memphis last year in the playoffs with some clutch shots of his own.

SPARKY
02-01-2005, 11:43 PM
Sure, Horry's ok to keep around on the deep bench ala Ferry's last year. Otherwise the Spurs need to get more physical up front. A lot of times Horry looks like he's running on empty out there on the court.

ducks
02-01-2005, 11:47 PM
atleast his head is not burried in his shirt well his man scores 2 points

SPARKY
02-01-2005, 11:50 PM
Yeah, instead he was worked over in the paint in the fucking postseason last year.

ChumpDumper
02-01-2005, 11:52 PM
By Shaq. So what? I'd love to have DRob back too....

SPARKY
02-01-2005, 11:59 PM
Shaq, Malone, whoever. When your starting center is Nesterovic you need the rest of your rotation to be more physical, not a 3 who can make a cameo at the 4.

ChumpDumper
02-02-2005, 12:00 AM
If you could mention anyone other than Malik -- otherwise keep it in the other threads.

missmyzte
02-02-2005, 12:01 AM
Sure, Horry's ok to keep around on the deep bench ala Ferry's last year. Otherwise the Spurs need to get more physical up front. A lot of times Horry looks like he's running on empty out there on the court.

Because Pop is playing him too many minutes lately. He averaged 20 MPG for January, playing as much as 34 minutes (against the Hornets). And this is while he was getting banged up and hurt what seemed like every game. He just can't play that kind of minutes anymore, they need to rest him before the post-season or he won't have anything left (a la Lakers 2003).

SPARKY
02-02-2005, 12:02 AM
Well, if he can't play strong now are we to expect anything different in the postseason?

T Park
02-02-2005, 12:02 AM
Misti, Im sure Pop would reign him in a little, if Nesterovic wasnt hurt.

T Park
02-02-2005, 12:03 AM
expect anything different in the postseason?

He wont play stupid like Domalik thats for sure.

SPARKY
02-02-2005, 12:04 AM
Instead he'll be weak in the post and not able to draw iron on wide open looks. And that'll be an improvement over Rasho.

Can't wait.

T Park
02-02-2005, 12:07 AM
draw iron on wide open looks.

No worse than your girlfriend Hedont.

At least Horry will play D, unlike Malik's hackastiff D.

missmyzte
02-02-2005, 12:08 AM
Instead he'll be weak in the post and not able to draw iron on wide open looks. And that'll be an improvement over Rasho.

Can't wait.

Have you even seen him play? Especially in the last month? He scored in double figures 4 times last month (and almost 2 other times). He's blocking shots like crazy, playing SMART and is a great rebounder, especially on the offensive glass.

You want to try again?

SPARKY
02-02-2005, 12:12 AM
Honeybear it doesn't matter now. Remember how he looked last year in the 2nd round? I don't like him as the primary backup big. He's nice to have on the bench but you dont want him playing heavy minutes in the paint. He's still a 3 faking being a 4.

T Park
02-02-2005, 12:15 AM
like malik being a 3 faking a 4, faking having a brain.

missmyzte
02-02-2005, 12:18 AM
Honeybear it doesn't matter now. Remember how he looked last year in the 2nd round? I don't like him as the primary backup big. He's nice to have on the bench but you dont want him playing heavy minutes in the paint. He's still a 3 faking being a 4.

He would prefer playing the 3 spot but has been forced into being a 5. And yes, I remember how he looked last year in the 2nd round. Get over it.

My point exactly about heavy minutes, he needs to be playing fewer minutes. But it's hard to argue with the guy who has more championships than any other active player.

SequSpur
02-02-2005, 12:18 AM
Just ignore Sparky, if that is truly Marcus, then he needs to log on as Marcus and quit jacking around.

whottt
02-02-2005, 12:21 AM
Marcus, you are a fucking douche sometimes...

Have you read Phil Jackson's book?

He fucking says they deliberately game planned to stop Horry from hurting them, they knew his weaknesses from him being on their team for 6 or 7 years and they most definitely did not leave him open from his spot. Phil Jackson is saying this...If Phil Jackson is saying something like this you can believe it is the truth because he isn't complimentary of players very often.

On top of that...Horry is not a weak interior defender...yes he sucks against Shaq...he sucks horribly against Shaq, in fact he sucked worse against Shaq than any player I have ever seen play against Shaq(except Olowokandi)...

But that's the only guy I have ever seen him suck like that against...

Tim Duncan and Greg Popovich both have said Horry was the best Duncan defender in the NBA. And if you look at some of Tim's ugliest statlines ever, you will find that Mr.Horry was the primary defender on him.

Look...being a Malik loyalist doesn't mean you have to hate Horry...they are both entirely different players, and no doubt Malik should have gotten the call against Shaq last season...but that's Pop's fault, he had that all or nothing mindset(that he seems to have broken out of this season) of either Malik or Horry was going to get PT, and the one that didn't was going to rot..

But anyway, Horry can D up, I agree with him in the Ferry role...only he's a hell of a lot better player than Ferry...he's just overmatched against Shaq.

SPARKY
02-02-2005, 12:21 AM
I appreciate Horry's savvy but he's not a young man anymore. He was spent in the 2003 playoffs and unfortunately he ended up in the same situation in 2004.

T Park
02-02-2005, 12:23 AM
My point exactly about heavy minutes, he needs to be playing fewer minutes.

Until Rasho gets back, horry will play heavy minutes.

More than likely against LA, theyll need heavy minutes.

If Malik can apologize for being a dumbfuck, then Pop can trust him and put him back in when it matters, and Horry can get rest.

But Horry will get plent of rest, along with the team here coming up.

lots of days off, Rasho back, and the need for Malik to pull his head out of his ass.

milkyway21
02-02-2005, 02:19 AM
atleast his head is not burried in his shirt well his man scores 2 points...while Pops is STARING HARD at you :lol

I never realized Horry could fit in well with this team after playing w/ the Lakers. All I can say is, if Duncan sits out and Pops put Horry in, I am not scared the Spurs will lose the game at all. Great defense,offensive rbds, along with those treys. I watched that finals vs. the lakers a thousand times and I'm happy he didn't make that shot, otherwise he'd still be playing against Duncan.

Plus sense of humor?(kicking Bibby's headband :lol ).

IX_Equilibrium
02-02-2005, 09:24 AM
Scola won't waltz into the NBA and dominate

He will have to get used to the game. They need Horry.