PDA

View Full Version : Steak: How do you like yours?

Don Quixote
06-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Also, give a place that serves a good steak.

Or mabe share some tips on cooking one yourself. :toast

Don Quixote
06-24-2008, 10:45 PM
I made a good one this past weekend. I got a 1" inch thick sirloin, rubbed some black pepper into it, and then put some Jack Daniels steak sauce on it, spread it on the meat, etc. (I'm not a big steak sauce guy, but I'm okay with it if used for actually cooking the steak.)

I cooked it off the coals about 15 min., flipped it once. Everyone else, I think, had their steaks too close to the coals, but theirs turned out alright.

Mine ended up juicy, medium-rare, and needed only a touch of salt.

yomama21
06-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Montana Mikes makes some pretty good ones up in New Braunfels

MannyIsGod
06-24-2008, 11:27 PM
:lol steak sauce. May as well eat hamburger.

Don Quixote
06-24-2008, 11:31 PM
That's how I feel about steak sauce too. Americans seem way too quick to go to the sauce, even if its a marvelous steak like what I made last weekend. Or if you go to Morton's or Ruth's Chris and pay $50 for a steak. You should at least try to taste the steak.

I only used a small bit on mine as a rub before I started cooking it.

On the other hand, if you're at IHOP and order a steak, use all the A-1 you need to get it down.

HighLowLobForBig-50
06-24-2008, 11:34 PM
thick ribeye cooked mr with salt pepper and butter on top
:hungry:

anakha
06-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Chicken-fried steak, with a generous serving of gravy and mashed potatoes.

I so need to take another vacation in the US. :lol

thispego
06-24-2008, 11:41 PM
medium rare, dry rub, i try different variations here and there. it's all good if you cook it right.

Texas Road House makes good steak but what really does it for me is their creamy horseradish for dipping

SequSpur
06-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Ate at Kirbys last week in Stone Oak. Peppercorn Filet..... Definitely gave Ruth Chris and Flemings a run for the money....

leemajors
06-24-2008, 11:52 PM
rare, lookin like this - salt, pepper, a touch of olive oil. maybe a splash of basalmic on one side, Worcestershire on the other side before seasoning as it warms to room temperature before it hits the grill:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb64/beestrofowler/IMG_0157.jpg

leemajors
06-24-2008, 11:54 PM
medium rare, dry rub, i try different variations here and there. it's all good if you cook it right.

Texas Road House makes good steak but what really does it for me is their creamy horseradish for dipping

their cuts are shit.

SequSpur
06-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Texas Road House, Texas Land and Cattle, Outback are okay...

Some of the good ones though if you can go are Flemings, Kirbys, Mortons, Ruth Chris and Paesanos 1604.

Their steaks are fricking awesome.

PM5K
06-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Why only three options?

mavs>spurs2
06-25-2008, 12:04 AM
Medium

pawe
06-25-2008, 12:13 AM
if i dont feel like grilling, what i do is im gonna buy a thin sliced tenderloin, dash it with salt pepper and basil, pan fry it for 30 seconds on each side then add half a cup of beer until it dries up and leaves this tangy, caramelized sauce. i eat it with baked potato with lots of butter and corn & carrot nibblets. Yum!!

marini martini
06-25-2008, 12:35 AM
Montana Mikes makes some pretty good ones up in New Braunfels

Yep, they do:toast

CuckingFunt
06-25-2008, 12:41 AM
Of the choices available I went for burned, but medium well would have been more accurate. Perfection is well done enough that there's only a tiny bit of pink in the middle, but not so done that it's dried out and tough.

And a good steak doesn't need anything more than cracked black pepper, REALLY course salt (sal de mer gros), and a grill.

TacoCabanaFajitas
06-25-2008, 12:44 AM
I like my steak like I like my women. Pink and dripping with blood.

leemajors
06-25-2008, 12:47 AM
Of the choices available I went for burned, but medium well would have been more accurate. Perfection is well done enough that there's only a tiny bit of pink in the middle, but not so done that it's dried out and tough.

And a good steak doesn't need anything more than cracked black pepper, REALLY course salt (sal de mer gros), and a grill.

nothing but kosher and sea salt in my house.

RashoFan
06-25-2008, 12:47 AM
Medium rare....Salt Grass has served a couple of steaks cooked to perfection and I like their seasonings. As far as high dollar places, I have yet to go to one. I shall someday.

Brutalis
06-25-2008, 12:53 AM
Not bloody, not burned. Just cooked all the way through.

Brutalis
06-25-2008, 12:55 AM
People that eat bloody steak are just wasting it and risking food poisoning.

leemajors
06-25-2008, 12:57 AM

no risk of food poisoning with a good, quality steak. buying off the SELL NOW rack, you might have a point. Nothing ruins the flavor of a steak like overcooking it.

Brutalis
06-25-2008, 01:02 AM
Sorry but a bloody steak tastes horrible compared to one actually cooked. Just my opinion. Here in the south we cook our food before we eats it!

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze27qdt/varney.jpg

marini martini
06-25-2008, 01:06 AM
What part of the South you talkin' about???^^^^
Medium rare is so juicy & flavorfull!

Brutalis
06-25-2008, 01:07 AM
Look up the SEC schools minus Kentucky. If you like the taste of blood why not eat chicken or pork the same way? Yuck.

marini martini
06-25-2008, 01:12 AM
Look up the SEC schools minus Kentucky. If you like the taste of blood why not eat chicken or pork the same way? Yuck.

Raw pork & chicken give you worms!!

Brutalis
06-25-2008, 01:35 AM
Raw pork & chicken give you worms!!

That explains why my gf don't lick my butt anymore. :depressed

marini martini
06-25-2008, 01:41 AM
That explains why my gf don't lick my butt anymore. :depressed

Who licks butt? If they do, then they shall love getting worms, and deserve it!!!

HighLowLobForBig-50
06-25-2008, 02:14 AM
I worked at TXLC for 2 yrs and the people there were awesome , the food ok but that place is not as busy as one would think

KEDA
06-25-2008, 06:36 AM
Actually you can eat medium rare pork now.

Back in the day, before the USDA regulated what the animals would eat, eating rare pork was a no-no, but with the regulations on living conditions, the food they ingest, and the way the hogs are handled after slaughter make it totally safe to eat medium rare pork.

As long as the internal temperature is 160 degrees this will kill all the bacteria, and therefore you are good to go.

Oh, and as far as steaks go, give me a 1-1.5 inch thick sirloin, well seasoned, RARE! and I am a happy man!

peewee's lovechild
06-25-2008, 07:32 AM

People who eat well done steaks burn all the nutrients that a steak has.

Plus, you might as well be eating cardboard.

peewee's lovechild
06-25-2008, 07:34 AM

You moron.

Chicken and pork are cooked all the way through because we have no other choice. Salmonella (for chicken) and worms (with pork) are real dangers.

Beef, on the other hand, is very safe. Cooking in medium rare preserves the nutrients found in the meat.

People of the south know this. I don't know where you claim to be from, but you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

peewee's lovechild
06-25-2008, 07:37 AM
Actually you can eat medium rare pork now.

Back in the day, before the USDA regulated what the animals would eat, eating rare pork was a no-no, but with the regulations on living conditions, the food they ingest, and the way the hogs are handled after slaughter make it totally safe to eat medium rare pork.

As long as the internal temperature is 160 degrees this will kill all the bacteria, and therefore you are good to go.

Oh, and as far as steaks go, give me a 1-1.5 inch thick sirloin, well seasoned, RARE! and I am a happy man!

I don't know. I'd still have to ask for my pork to be cooked all the way through.

Some dude in my dad's church was recently diagnosed as having that worm in his head. So, I won't take my chances.

to21
06-25-2008, 07:41 AM
I HATE when I go eat with someone and they order their steak "well done". I just want to slap the shit out of them.

Great, now we have to wait even longer to get our food. Medium to medium-well with a small pink center should be cooked enuff for you well done homos.

CosmicCowboy
06-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Medium rare. Just after the juices quit running but the center is still warm and pink. A very small amount of running is OK.

Best steaks in town are mine. 1-1/4" bone in choice rib eyes and 2" thick fillets. Let warm to room temperature before cooking. Dry rub with Bohlners "Uncle Chris's" steak seasoning.

I put a heavy pewter platter at the back of the grill (not over the coals) I sear the steaks over a HOT fire and only turn them once. Never stab them. Slide the fork under them and flip them. Sear till they get a good "crust" then move them to the pewter platter. Close the lid. When the steaks are right to the touch (feel like the fleshy part of your hand at the base of your thumb) pull the platter off and let the steaks rest for 5 minutes before serving.

If they want their steaks well done I offer them the use of my grill to finish their steaks while the others are resting. I refuse to ruin a good steak by overcooking it.

CosmicCowboy
06-25-2008, 09:36 AM
And I cook my thick pork chops and whole pork tenderloins to medium rare to medium. Trichinosis is just not the big deal it used to be and is virtually unheard of in modern pork.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2008, 09:41 AM
For strip steaks. Marinate in fresh lime, lemon, and orange juice along with some Shiner bock. Add some chopped garlic and Worcestershire sauce. A few healthy dashes of Tabasco. Add some coarse salt. Cover up and place in the fridge for about 2 hours.

Before grilling, add some fresh coarse ground black pepper. Grill until medium rare.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-25-2008, 09:47 AM
As long as there's some A1 thrown onto it, I don't care.

thispego
06-25-2008, 09:49 AM
their cuts are shit.

true, unless you get the most expensive steaks. I guess I just dont know anywhere else that serves horseradish dip :lol

thispego
06-25-2008, 09:55 AM
no, that's not gay

hmmm, yeah i agree

creamy horseradish dip is the shit though

06-25-2008, 09:58 AM
1-1/2" to 2" cuts of either rib eye or T-Bone from Penshorns. Hot gas grill (saving my ducats for a Big Green Egg (http://www.biggreenegg.com/)), steaks lightly sprinkled with Bolner's "Uncle Chris' Steak Seasoning (http://www.fiestaspices.com/?page=bbq_unclechrisss). Cooked medium rare and paired with either a mix of asparagus spears/mushrooms/shallots bathed in olive oil with kosher salt and black pepper that has been cooked in a grill skillet (http://www.brookstone.com/store/product.asp?product_code=595231&search_type=search&search_words=bbq%20skillet&prodtemp=t1&cm_re=Result*R1C1*T), or, asparagus spears wrapped in prosciutto and set under the broiler for a bit.

leemajors
06-25-2008, 09:59 AM
true, unless you get the most expensive steaks. I guess I just dont know anywhere else that serves horseradish dip :lol

lol quiznos

dickface
06-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Bob's Steak & Chop House ftw.

mrsmaalox
06-25-2008, 10:02 AM
There's notenough choices on this poll. But I do like cake. Saltgrass always cooks my steak exactly as I want it. I go medium rare because since I don't usually finish it, if I eat around the edges, the middle turns out good when I re-heat it at home.
At home I really, really love those thin little t-bones. I don't put anything on them, just toss em on the grill. But they are really hard to cook anywhere less than well.

thispego
06-25-2008, 10:07 AM
lol quiznos

yeah but then you have the problem of not having a steak to dip in it

thispego
06-25-2008, 10:12 AM
1-1/2" to 2" cuts of either rib eye or T-Bone from Penshorns. Hot gas grill (saving my ducats for a Big Green Egg (http://www.biggreenegg.com/)), steaks lightly sprinkled with Bolner's "Uncle Chris' Steak Seasoning (http://www.fiestaspices.com/?page=bbq_unclechrisss). Cooked medium rare and paired with either a mix of asparagus spears/mushrooms/shallots bathed in olive oil with kosher salt and black pepper that has been cooked in a grill skillet (http://www.brookstone.com/store/product.asp?product_code=595231&search_type=search&search_words=bbq%20skillet&prodtemp=t1&cm_re=Result*R1C1*T), or, asparagus spears wrapped in prosciutto and set under the broiler for a bit.

Prosciutto, man!?! come on lol

Hey how much are those Big Green Eggs? I looked on the site and couldnt find any prices.

CosmicCowboy
06-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Prosciutto, man!?! come on lol

Hey how much are those Big Green Eggs? I looked on the site and couldnt find any prices.

It's a richer thang.

dickface
06-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Sorry but a bloody steak tastes horrible compared to one actually cooked. Just my opinion. Here in the south we cook our food before we eats it!

Any southerner worth a shit knows that you don't ruin a good steak by overcooking it. You're a disgrace to the south.

thispego
06-25-2008, 10:23 AM
It's a richer thang.

:lol

i dont know, what's more expensive a package of prosciutto or a package of thick cut pepper bacon?

leemajors
06-25-2008, 10:59 AM
yeah but then you have the problem of not having a steak to dip in it

portion cups, lids. stockpile it.

Bigzax
06-25-2008, 11:00 AM
i take mine well done with a beer and some fries!

better make it two beers...

johnsmith
06-25-2008, 11:03 AM
It's a richer thang.

Really hanging on strong to this richer joke aren't you?

Don Quixote
06-25-2008, 11:14 AM
As long as there's some A1 thrown onto it, I don't care.

You, sir, must not like steak.

A-1 is useful for a bad steak, or one so overcooked and dry that you need something to help get it down.

Don Quixote
06-25-2008, 11:15 AM
There's not enough choices on this poll.

I know. You win points for naming the reference for how I stated my question. It's an easy one.

I like mine medium-rare, pink but not deep red, still juicy and flavorful. Anything more than medium ruins it.

sa_butta
06-25-2008, 01:10 PM
I like mine medium. A steak just is not a steak if it is burnt all to shit.

leemajors
06-25-2008, 03:11 PM
now for venison steaks, barely seared is where it's at on top of some arugula. they're very thin, so ~2 mins per side tops is the best. defrosting some now that the idea came to mind.

06-25-2008, 03:16 PM
now for venison steaks, barely seared is where it's at on top of some arugula. they're very thin, so ~2 mins per side tops is the best. defrosting some now that the idea came to mind.

I like to pair venison with this...

Mushroom Sauce
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup chicken broth, cool
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
dash Tabasco
1/2 cup red and green bell pepper, diced
2 green onions, white and green part, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups fresh mushrooms, thinly-sliced
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook while stirring until butter/flour mixture is smooth and beige in color, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in cool chicken broth, a little at a time, until incorporated. Stir in wine and cream until incorporated. Add remaining sauce ingredients and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring often.

thispego
06-25-2008, 03:25 PM
portion cups, lids. stockpile it.

now you're thinkin

Don Quixote
06-26-2008, 07:08 PM
I'll have you people know that the other day, I made for me and Doņa Quixote some filet mignons. Made a peppery rub, put that in, and then put them under the broiler for 5 min one side, 6 the other. Served them with potatoes au gratin and fresh asparagus that I roasted.

It was good, except the mignons were not the most tender I ever had. The flavor was still excellent. And they were medium-rare.

marini martini
06-26-2008, 07:11 PM
I'll have you people know that the other day, I made for me and Doņa Quixote some filet mignons. Made a peppery rub, put that in, and then put them under the broiler for 5 min one side, 6 the other. Served them with potatoes au gratin and fresh asparagus that I roasted.

It was good, except the mignons were not the most tender I ever had. The flavor was still excellent. And they were medium-rare.

Damn, why is it everytime you post, I gain 5 lbs.?:hungry:

Mister Sinister
06-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Damn, why is it everytime you post, I gain 5 lbs.?:hungry:
God hates you?

marini martini
06-26-2008, 09:05 PM
God hates you?

O.K. Fatty! The Unicorn hates you!

JoeChalupa
06-27-2008, 11:15 AM
medium well