PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Committed to Ryan Anderson

Spaceman Spiff
06-25-2008, 01:55 AM
Sorry if posted. Seems a little early for him, no?

From Chad Ford on ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-080625):

The skinny: [Updated 6/25] Lots of buzz that the Spurs have committed to Cal's sweet- shooting forward Anderson with the No. 26 pick. He should be able to stretch the defense the way Robert Horry used to.

timvp
06-25-2008, 01:56 AM
:pctoss

Play Bonner or re-sign Horry if you want a perimeter shooting big. Don't waste a first rounder and then force yourself to unload Bonner somewhere.

anakha
06-25-2008, 01:59 AM
If this is true, there better be a deal in place for an additional first-round pick.

jcrod
06-25-2008, 02:00 AM

Play Bonner or re-sign Horry if you want a perimeter shooting big. Don't waste a first rounder and then force yourself to unload Bonner somewhere.

:nope

You know Pop never shows his hand, I don't believe it.

Spaceman Spiff
06-25-2008, 02:00 AM
It could just be smoke and mirrors...but I don't see the advantage of making people think you're drafting a guy that's not in high demand.

Blackjack
06-25-2008, 02:01 AM
Chad Ford better be wrong or unaware that the Spurs would be picking Anderson as part of a trade.

There is no way in hell the Spurs could justify taking Anderson with their 1st.

Kori Ellis
06-25-2008, 02:01 AM
:lol :lol :lol

Instead of an athletic slasher, they target Matt Bonner Jr. when they already have Matt Bonner. :lmao

bigdog
06-25-2008, 02:03 AM
well, I would have liked this decision if we didn't have Bonner and possibly Horry back.

Perhaps this choice means they won't resign Horry.

I think there has to be something else going on, possibly for another 1st rounder, maybe trading one of the 2nd rounders + Bonner for one, or something of that sort.

I think he's gonna be a good player, but could turn out to be Keith Van Horn who was pretty average in my mind.

timvp
06-25-2008, 02:06 AM
It could just be smoke and mirrors...but I don't see the advantage of making people think you're drafting a guy that's not in high demand.True. Anderson is a second round pick so no one would care if this got leaked.

Chances are this is BS. But if it's true, it's going to suck.

ChumpDumper
06-25-2008, 02:06 AM
Yes, this seems like something the Spurs would do.

Let everyone know exactly to whom they have committed days in advance of the draft.

timvp
06-25-2008, 02:07 AM
Yes, this seems like something the Spurs would do.

Let everyone know exactly to whom they have committed days in advance of the draft.Again, it's probably BS but the whole world knew they wanted Nenad Krstic a couple days before that draft.

Spaceman Spiff
06-25-2008, 02:08 AM
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ryan-Anderson-1150/

21.1 points and 9.9 rebounds last year. 6'10" and 240, limited athletically. 41% 3-pt shooter last season at Cal. Compared to Troy Murphy a lot, but I don't know if he has Murphy's face up game. Shoots lights out.

Draft Express has him going to the Spurs at #26 as well.

I call bs....but a very timid bs.

ChumpDumper
06-25-2008, 02:11 AM
Again, it's probably BS but the whole world knew they wanted Nenad Krstic a couple days before that draft.So the Nets will take him at 21....

I'll believe anything at this point.

Blackjack
06-25-2008, 02:16 AM
I'm going to choose to believe this is B.S., and that there's no way in hell that Pop/R.C. would commit to someone before seeing who could fall to them at 26. :bang

SenorSpur
06-25-2008, 02:19 AM
This had better be nothing more than smoke and mirrors. That's all they need now is another 6'10", one-trick pony who can't play D to save his life.

My draft-day optimism is starting to lean toward outrage. :bang

bigdog
06-25-2008, 02:22 AM
It's likely that if they did commit to this pick, it would be packaged in some type of deal.

Like I said, I'd only like it, or even consider it, if we didn't have Bonner and possibly Horry.

Let's just wait it out and see what happens.

Tully365
06-25-2008, 02:34 AM
Bonner's senior year at Florida:

15.2 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 47% 3ptFG

Anderson's sophomore year at Cal:

21.1 ppg, 9.9 rpg, 41% 3ptFG

Blackjack
06-25-2008, 02:36 AM
Well this is the type of news that will drive a man to drink... Heavily

The good news... If it's not true???

Well... I'll celebrate by drinking heavily.

What do you know??? It's a win/win!:toast

johngateswhiteley
06-25-2008, 02:56 AM
i'm a genius, lol.

timvp
06-25-2008, 03:28 AM
The more I research about Anderson, the more it looks like BS. He worked out today for the Spurs in San Antonio but the Rockets were allowed to come too. Making a promise to a player two days before the draft doesn't make much sense since the point of making a promise is for a player to either stay in a draft or stop working out for other teams. You don't make a promise to a player who will be available with or without the promise.

I can't see a scenario where the Spurs flew him in and were so blown away that they told him on the spot that he was the pick. Makes no sense. Unless the Spurs had the Rockets in town to say "you think the Scola trade was dumb, wait until you see this . . ."

angelbelow
06-25-2008, 03:34 AM
wow.. like most posters have said, this is bs, at least we hope it is!

ChumpDumper
06-25-2008, 03:37 AM
That's weird, because both the Spurs and Rockets already have a long range PF on their rosters -- though Steve Novak is not as good and easily more jettisoned. I can't see the Rockets' burning a first rounder on a fourth or fifth big man any more than I can see the Spurs' doing it. It only makes sense for either team if they get rid of multiple big men.

Spurtacus
06-25-2008, 03:39 AM
WTF hell no.

johngateswhiteley
06-25-2008, 03:43 AM
The more I research about Anderson, the more it looks like BS. He worked out today for the Spurs in San Antonio but the Rockets were allowed to come too. Making a promise to a player two days before the draft doesn't make much sense since the point of making a promise is for a player to either stay in a draft or stop working out for other teams. You don't make a promise to a player who will be available with or without the promise.

I can't see a scenario where the Spurs flew him in and were so blown away that they told him on the spot that he was the pick. Makes no sense. Unless the Spurs had the Rockets in town to say "you think the Scola trade was dumb, wait until you see this . . ."

but i want to win $100.

timvp
06-25-2008, 03:45 AM
but i want to win $100.It makes no sense ... but judging by the trades and draft picks we've seen in the last year, you have a good chance to be right.

johngateswhiteley
06-25-2008, 03:51 AM
It makes no sense ... but judging by the trades and draft picks we've seen in the last year, you have a good chance to be right.

well...i have no idea, we'll see.

ChumpDumper
06-25-2008, 03:51 AM
Eh, the Spurs' needs are pretty clear and there is no pressure to dump salary. If the Spurs are picking up this guy it is because one or more of their big men are on the way out.

silk
06-25-2008, 03:55 AM
Wow spurs drafting anderson when batum, lee, cdr are still available would be a major blow...

But if they have a trade for bonner and horry not resign, it makes a little sense ...

Spurtacus
06-25-2008, 03:56 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_CZhIOEcLaQ

mountainballer
06-25-2008, 06:49 AM
I can very well see the Spurs like Anderson. it might not be a very popular pick, but he has so many of the typical Spurs-material qualities, the possibility can't be ignored.
fact is, the Spurs see a player like him as part of their system. another fact is, that Bonner didn't look as if he can fill this spot the way Pop expected it. (will likely be gone. back to the Raptors?) fact is, Anderson has the potential of a rich man's Bonner and, most important, he has the BBIQ Bonner lacks.

still, what I absolutely can't see is that the Spurs pick him with Batum still on the board, as Ford predicts it. they might pass on CDR and Lee, but no way they pass on Batum. he could have a heart plus a kidney problem and the Spurs would still pick him.

Bruno
06-25-2008, 07:10 AM
Spurs are usually very discreet on their draft picks. I don't buy this rumor.
Anyway, let's say it's true and Spurs draft Anderson at #26.

Having a big who can shoot alongside Duncan is always nice. Spurs could consider him as a significant upgrade over Bonner in that role.

What is surprising is that Spurs had way bigger needs than that. Their biggest need is some kind of athleticism at every spot and Anderson doesn't fill that at all. We don't have the whole picture, maybe there are more than just drafting Anderson. Spurs could have under their wing a trade with Bonner.

Drafting Anderson at #26 doesn't make a lot of sense but it could make some if it's just a part of a bigger plan.

SenorSpur
06-25-2008, 08:00 AM
I have a hard time believing that, in a draft so rich in 2's and 3's, the Spurs would ignore their obvious need for an athletic wing player for about the 4th year in a row. Picking Anderson in the 2nd round, I can see. But not with the 26th pick.

Ryan Anderson -> Matt Bonner -> Matt Bullard = Same guy

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2008, 08:13 AM
You take this guy if you are moving Bonner.

VaSpursFan
06-25-2008, 08:48 AM
You take this guy if you are moving Bonner.

+1...must be part of some kind of trade package...one of these guys will not be a spur

Russ
06-25-2008, 08:50 AM
If true, this must mean that the Spurs don't like any of the players that might "fall" to 26. That's hard to imagine and, hopefully, it's incorrect.

2centsworth
06-25-2008, 08:54 AM
3 way trade, Bonner to LA for Mihm and then Bonner to Miami for Dwayne Wade.

AA2120
06-25-2008, 08:55 AM
fuckkkkkk...

mexicanjunior
06-25-2008, 08:56 AM
If they draft Anderson and leave Chalmers, CD-R or Batum on the board...I will be sick.

Extra Stout
06-25-2008, 08:57 AM
R.C. Buford was stupid enough the first time around to think that replacing Robert Horry was as easy as finding a tall guy who can shoot 3's. Perhaps he's convinced himself that Matt Bonner is the problem and the next time around, a slow, unathletic stiff who plays no defense successfully will become the next Big Shot Rob.

At some point it will dawn on people that R.C. Buford and Dennis Lindsey have no idea what the hell they're doing.

SenorSpur
06-25-2008, 09:06 AM
+1...must be part of some kind of trade package...one of these guys will not be a spur

It sure as hell better be.

The way I see it is Horry's time has expired, Bonner has had his turn, may as well give someone else a shot. Just not at pick #26.

stxspurs
06-25-2008, 09:18 AM
:bang:bang:bang:bang:ihit:ihit:pctoss:pctoss:pctos s:makemyday:makemyday:shootme:shootme
this would ruin my day......no not anderson!

spurster
06-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Maybe Bonner is part of some package for a higher draft pick.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Anyways, I doubt this guy is the pick. Pop's back to using disinformation rather than trying to hide in plain sight. Of course, watch Thorn take Anderson at #21 now.

Joe Schmoogins
06-25-2008, 09:46 AM
if this is true... there is either a larger deal at work, or the spurs feel anderson is the most equipped to help immediately. I'm hoping for something else in the works.

tav1
06-25-2008, 09:49 AM
This has got to be false. I'll throw up in disgust on draft night if this happens.

AA2120
06-25-2008, 09:52 AM
so....anderson=splitter?
or wat?

Big P
06-25-2008, 09:54 AM
I call BS.

TheProfessor
06-25-2008, 10:01 AM
I can very well see the Spurs like Anderson. it might not be a very popular pick, but he has so many of the typical Spurs-material qualities, the possibility can't be ignored.
fact is, the Spurs see a player like him as part of their system. another fact is, that Bonner didn't look as if he can fill this spot the way Pop expected it. (will likely be gone. back to the Raptors?) fact is, Anderson has the potential of a rich man's Bonner and, most important, he has the BBIQ Bonner lacks.

still, what I absolutely can't see is that the Spurs pick him with Batum still on the board, as Ford predicts it. they might pass on CDR and Lee, but no way they pass on Batum. he could have a heart plus a kidney problem and the Spurs would still pick him.
I think your evaluation of Anderson is dead on, except I don't think drafting Anderson indicates we're dumping Bonner - just that Horry is gone, and we need another perimeter big. If they're going to reach on Anderson, I hope there's a wing or back-up PG in the second round they'll take a chance on (Malik Hairston? George Hill?).

It's a reach, but if true, it could be worse - we could be selling our picks or drafting Tomic/Asik.

loveforthegame
06-25-2008, 10:05 AM
It's something the Spurs would do even with other guys on the board who would help more.

I agree with others that if he is the pick for the Spurs then it means Bonner is on the move for something else. Or the pick is for someone else.

Steve-O-Matic
06-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Not that I'm lobbying for Anderson, but FWIW, Jay Bilas was on last night's draft preview show on ESPN2 and was asked who his biggest sleeper was this year. He said Ryan Anderson. He feels Anderson is vastly underrated and should be (in his opinion) someone that teams consider in the high teens or low 20s instead of the late first/early 2nd round. He said that Anderson has a true inside-outside game which will only improve as he adds strength. He said he's not a great athlete, but he's good enough, and has a chance to develop into one of the most "complete" PF's in the NBA in time.

tav1
06-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Jay Bilas is an ass. His saying this makes me think less of Anderson.

td4mvp21
06-25-2008, 10:15 AM
This better be a big fucking piece of bullshit.

Bruno
06-25-2008, 10:34 AM
The more I think at, the more I think that drafting Anderson at #26 could make some sense.

Spurs first option should be to draft a perimeter player. Take aside players who will likely be picked before Spurs like Chalmers, Lee or Donté Greene and players not worth a first round pick and you end up with only three names CDR, Batum and Walker.
Spurs could be scared by Batum and Walker health, not liking CDR playing style. CDR and/or Batum could also be drafted before 26th.

If there isn't a perimeter player Spurs like at #26, which isn't a too far fetched scenario, Spurs will have to draft a big.
Bigs who coudl be available at #26 and who are first round materials : Hibbert, Hickson, Anderson, Jason Thompson, DeVon Hardin, Ibaka, D.J. White, Richard Hendrix, Ante Tomic and Nathan Jawai.
When I look at that list and that their draft profiles, Ryan Anderson doesn't look like a too bad choice...

SenorSpur
06-25-2008, 10:40 AM
The more I think at, the more I think that drafting Anderson at #26 could make some sense.

Spurs first option should be to draft a perimeter player. Take aside players who will likely be picked before Spurs like Chalmers, Lee or Donté Greene and players not worth a first round pick and you end up with only three names CDR, Batum and Walker.
Spurs could be scared by Batum and Walker health, not liking CDR playing style. CDR and/or Batum could also be drafted before 26th.

If there isn't a perimeter player Spurs like at #26, which isn't a too far fetched scenario, Spurs will have to draft a big.
Bigs who coudl be available at #26 and who are first round materials : Hibbert, Hickson, Anderson, Jason Thompson, DeVon Hardin, Ibaka, D.J. White, Richard Hendrix, Ante Tomic and Nathan Jawai.
When I look at that list and that their draft profiles, Ryan Anderson doesn't look like a too bad choice...

Anderson (or any similar prototype prospect) is not a more of a priority than an athletic wing. If this draft order holds true to form or unless something weird transpires, either CDR or Batum should available @ #26. Therefore, either of these guys must take precedence over Anderson.

If the Spurs really want Anderson, they'd better purchase or package a deal to acquire another first round pick.

peacemaker885
06-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Dood's chill out. If there's anybody with lots of pressure right now its RC, POP and the whole Spurs FO. They have tens of people looking at this. This is the SPURS people. If this rumor is true, for sure there HAS to be more into it. Maybe not a major move but a MOVE nonetheless. Let's be patient and see.

Russ
06-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Question (more of a hope actually): Is Anderson the type of player Larry Brown might like? (I think not :bang).

mountainballer
06-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Anderson (or any similar prototype prospect) is not a more of a priority than an athletic wing. If this draft order holds true to form or unless something weird transpires, either CDR or Batum should available @ #26. Therefore, either of these guys must take precedence over Anderson.

If the Spurs really want Anderson, they'd better purchase or package a deal to acquire another first round pick.

the fact that the athletic wing is the prime need, could also mean that the Spurs DO NOT draft such a player, because they feel that no rookie will be able to fill this need.
this player will be the major target in free agency and/or via trade.
I can very well see Delfino as this target, maybe JR Smith (not that I like this idea) even Ricky Davis. Maggette as an unrealistic option, but worth a call (if he opts out). more or less any wing, who can create his own shot and is willing to sign for the MLE.

considering that Spurs then have this FA, Manu, Ime, Bruce and still Brent on the wing, another wing from 1st round might not be the best solution. better look what wing falls to #45 and give that player a non guaranteed contract (Hairston, Weaver, Forbes)

Spaceman Spiff
06-25-2008, 11:04 AM
even Ricky Davis.

Fuck.no.

TheProfessor
06-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Fuck.no.
:lol Davis does address that need. Is J.R. Smith really that far off in terms of being a headcase?

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2008, 11:12 AM

True, there does seem to be a pretty big selection of quality bigmen prospects in this draft. And you have Mahinmi joining the rotation next year who gives you the athletic rebounding and shotblocking type prospect. A big man with a shooting touch would fit the Spurs' system...

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2008, 11:24 AM
If it is indeed Anderson I'm not going to lose much sleep over it. The Spurs currently have two open rotation spots. Backup point and a spot in the swingman rotation. That spot in the swing rotation requires someone who is capable of starting. No rookie taken at #26 will be able to pull that off. The only available point who could step into that backup spot would be Chalmers.

So other than point, any player you draft will likely be on IR and perhaps in Austin. You address the swingman spot via free agency.

montgod
06-25-2008, 11:32 AM
I personally think it's a smoke screen. The Spurs have learned from Kristic as well as their many efforts in the last couple of years to move up in the draft to let this type of info leak.

From what I have heard, R. Anderson is one dimentional player no matter what his stats show. He is just a shooter which isn't exactly what the Spurs need.

I just wish I heard the results of his workout vs Ibaka or whoever he worked out with yesterday. That will really tell the tale of if the Spurs were impressed or just a smokescreen.

objective
06-25-2008, 11:41 AM
the MSNBC mock has Anderson being taken ahead of the Spurs at 20!

Hopefully true, Spurs need some guys to surprise and get taken higher than expected for the right players to fall.

baseline bum
06-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Whenever one of our front office's moves makes me say 'what the fuck?', I remember what ducks once told me:

If Pop when shooters go, so was CIA.

Closs.

rascal
06-25-2008, 11:47 AM
This will happen. I don't expect Bonner to be back. Bonner will be traded in some package deal.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Whenever one of our front office's moves makes me say 'what the fuck?', I remember what ducks once told me:

If Pop when shooters go, so was CIA.

Closs.

:lol

tav1
06-25-2008, 11:52 AM
the MSNBC mock has Anderson being taken ahead of the Spurs at 20!

Hopefully true, Spurs need some guys to surprise and get taken higher than expected for the right players to fall.

If the Spurs draft Anderson, then they must have a pretty confident line on two other things: who'll they'll be able to get in free agency and a trade partner for Matt Bonner.

If it's a smoke screen, maybe they are releasing Anderson's name early to bump him up in the draft and cause someone esle to fall.

And even if this rumor is true, the Spurs could still acquire another pick: maybe their seconds or Matt Bonner are in this scenario.

SenorSpur
06-25-2008, 11:54 AM
If it is indeed Anderson I'm not going to lose much sleep over it. The Spurs currently have two open rotation spots. Backup point and a spot in the swingman rotation. That spot in the swing rotation requires someone who is capable of starting. No rookie taken at #26 will be able to pull that off. The only available point who could step into that backup spot would be Chalmers.

So other than point, any player you draft will likely be on IR and perhaps in Austin. You address the swingman spot via free agency.

Granted, any swingman drafted this year will most certainly require an apprenticeship in Austin. We all expect the Spurs to address the need for a primary swingman via free agency. While nothing is guaranteed, they should be able to accomplish this objective.

Meanwhile, next season could very well be Barry's last. Furthermore, what will be the situation with Bowen after next season? That lends the possibility that 1 or maybe even 2 spots could be open in the swingman rotation after next season.

Having a young, second year swingman, who has completed 1-year in D-league, would be ease the transiition from the possibility of a Barry departure in '09. That said, this is the reason rookie swingman is necessary - for the year after next.

As I've stated previously, the time to buy car insurance isn't when you have an accident. Besides, who's to say that next years draft will have the level of 2's and 3's that we see in this one?

SpursChampsIII
06-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Of the players who MIGHT be available at 26, I like Thompson. From everything I've read, Ajinca and Batum look like good pickups too, but what is their "contract" status with overseas teams? Are they available to come in now? I like the idea of trying to get J.R. Smith, and I don't care about the comments about his lack of defensive intensity...that's not we need him for...we need LEGITIMATE scoring off the bench. The Spurs need a center capable of creating a defensive presence to help Duncan and an athletic wing (most comments on CDR say he is not athletic). Thompson and Smith for me...I'm still not happy with the PG backup situation, but if we could land someone like Dooling, that would be nice.

:flag:

TheProfessor
06-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Katz states Anderson is still all over the board, and no one else has verified this. I'm not seeing where Ford gets the Spurs are "committed." Likely, he can't get a bead on the Spurs and is going off other mocks.

tav1
06-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Of the players who MIGHT be available at 26, I like Thompson. From everything I've read, Ajinca and Batum look like good pickups too, but what is their "contract" status with overseas teams? Are they available to come in now? I like the idea of trying to get J.R. Smith, and I don't care about the comments about his lack of defensive intensity...that's not we need him for...we need LEGITIMATE scoring off the bench. The Spurs need a center capable of creating a defensive presence to help Duncan and an athletic wing (most comments on CDR say he is not athletic). Thompson and Smith for me...I'm still not happy with the PG backup situation, but if we could land someone like Dooling, that would be nice.

:flag:

Their contract status' are discussed all over the place on this board, even within this thread. Do the leg work.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 12:34 PM
The only person I would believe this from is Ludden.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-25-2008, 12:38 PM
If this happens it would be grounds to fire R.C. as GM and Pop as team president or whatever his non-coaching title is these days.

Talk about a fucking stupid pick. We need perimeter players in the worst way so they think Matt Bonner Jr. is the answer?

Spaceman Spiff
06-25-2008, 12:39 PM
:lol Davis does address that need. Is J.R. Smith really that far off in terms of being a headcase?

I'm not really on the J.R. Smith bandwagon, either. But, to be fair, Smith kills you off the court, while Ricky kills you on it.

Davis is, arguably, the dumbest player in basketball. Riley laughed at some of his choices this season. He takes terrible shots, doesn't pass, and doesn't play man-to-man defense.

objective
06-25-2008, 12:40 PM
Sure it could just be a smokescreen with Anderson (hopefully). But in this discussion of "if they were interested in Anderson and pass on a wing player that's understandable because they plan to get one in free agency" is one I find to be very troubling.

The only way for the Spurs to control their own destiny with any certitude is the draft.

Free agency is so unreliable that the Spurs could easily come out of it with a big nothing to show for it. Passing on a 2/3 for another Bonner almost smacks of lunacy.

1. Board favorite JR Smith . . . like any free agent, the chances aren't good to get him even if the Spurs threw the full MLE at him. Aside from his own preferences (questionable due to his lifestyle whether he'd come to SA of his own free will), there's still plenty of other teams he could sign with not to mention the fact that he's still restricted and that Denver should be much more willing to pay tax on a 22 year old scorer with starting talent than they were to pay tax on a 3rd string 30 year old scrub center like Elson at the time.

2. Pietrus could also be signed by another team like Miami.

3. Azubuike could/probably will be matched/kept by GS. Just like Vujacic in LA.

4. Maggette could be gone in a S&T to someone else or likewise unavailable. Same with Barnes wanting to stay in California.

5. Delfino and Hermann could be back in Europe.

6. Ricky Davis is a team-killer.

Basically, any and all options for the Spurs to add a legit SG/SF in free agency are such big crapshoots that the Spurs could come away with nothing but some fringe LLE player like Juan Dixon. Banking on FA as a reason to not draft someone like Batum or CDR or even Lee or Walker if they are still on the board is foolhardy. Sure they could land a JR Smith/Pietrus/etc this summer, but there's too big a risk of coming up empty handed.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-25-2008, 12:40 PM
Not that I'm lobbying for Anderson, but FWIW, Jay Bilas was on last night's draft preview show on ESPN2 and was asked who his biggest sleeper was this year. He said Ryan Anderson. He feels Anderson is vastly underrated and should be (in his opinion) someone that teams consider in the high teens or low 20s instead of the late first/early 2nd round. He said that Anderson has a true inside-outside game which will only improve as he adds strength. He said he's not a great athlete, but he's good enough, and has a chance to develop into one of the most "complete" PF's in the NBA in time.

If Bilas is all over his nuts, the Spurs need to be as far away from this kid as possible.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Spurs are usually very discreet on their draft picks. I don't buy this rumor.
Anyway, let's say it's true and Spurs draft Anderson at #26.

Having a big who can shoot alongside Duncan is always nice. Spurs could consider him as a significant upgrade over Bonner in that role.

What is surprising is that Spurs had way bigger needs than that. Their biggest need is some kind of athleticism at every spot and Anderson doesn't fill that at all. We don't have the whole picture, maybe there are more than just drafting Anderson. Spurs could have under their wing a trade with Bonner.

Drafting Anderson at #26 doesn't make a lot of sense but it could make some if it's just a part of a bigger plan.

This pick doesn't make sense unless Bonner is gone and they have another perimeter player already lined up via free agency or as part of Bonner being traded.

This team needs swing men in the worst way, not drafting one at this spot in a loaded draft at the position is stupid and ignorant.

They need to get off their hardon for finding the next Robert Horry and instead find a 2guard who can give them 15 a night all season and take the load off the big three.

Spur-Addict
06-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Maybe Bonner is part of some package for a higher draft pick.

HOPEFULLY :depressed

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 12:47 PM
They need to get off their hardon for finding the next Robert Horry and instead find a 2guard who can give them 15 a night all season and take the load off the big three.[/QUOTE]

That is J.R. Smith. If the Spurs could grab J.R. Smith and draft Anderson (who plays like the guy I wanted Bargnani) that would be an excellent off-season in my opinion. They need a big who can shoot (that was Kurt Thomas's job) so Tim can have more room.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 12:49 PM
I will take a guy with a proven shot this deep in the draft all day. If Hibbert is there, I would like him more, but this is not bad. I do not think CDR will be around.

SenorSpur
06-25-2008, 12:51 PM
This pick doesn't make sense unless Bonner is gone and they have another perimeter player already lined up via free agency or as part of Bonner being traded.

This team needs swing men in the worst way, not drafting one at this spot in a loaded draft at the position is stupid and ignorant.

They need to get off their hardon for finding the next Robert Horry and instead find a 2guard who can give them 15 a night all season and take the load off the big three.

:toast

A poster who shares my concerns.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2008, 12:54 PM
loaded draft at the position

Not really. If any position in this draft is "loaded" it's the 4.

First, and foremost, the Spurs could use a NBA player out of #26. Then worry about position.

Bruno
06-25-2008, 12:56 PM

A loaded draft at SG/SF ?

if you take draftexpress mock draft, between the 16th and the 38th pick, there are 18 PF/C, 4 SG/SF and 1 PG.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Exactly. Anderson, although not the best in the draft, has an NBA ready shot from everywhere on the floor. He seems like a good kid as well, and if he can toughen up and rebound (which in college he did) than that is not a bad pick, a 4 that can stroke it....

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2008, 01:03 PM
A loaded draft at SG/SF ?

if you take draftexpress mock draft, between the 16th and the 38th pick, there are 18 PF/C, 4 SG/SF and 1 PG.

Exactly.

SenorSpur
06-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Despite his 6'10" frame, it seems he plays more like a SF, who, by the way, is defensively poor. The Spurs absolutely need more offensive punch. yet the more I read about this guy, the more nervous I get. RealGM scouting report below.

http://www.realgm.com/src_fromtherafters/206/20080624/draft_report_ryan_anderson_of_california/

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Exactly. Anderson, although not the best in the draft, has an NBA ready shot from everywhere on the floor. He seems like a good kid as well, and if he can toughen up and rebound (which in college he did) than that is not a bad pick, a 4 that can stroke it....

With a low 1st round/2nd round pick I think the first consideration is whether or not that player can actually be a NBA player. Drafting solely on need at that spot is more risky, not less. Williams was taken last year and he had a similiar profile to some of the prospects likely available to the Spurs in this year's draft.

CDR could turn into a nice rotation player...or he could be out of the league in a season. Depends on how his skill set translates to the NBA. He may not have the athleticism to hang around.

Walker is at least a season away from being a contributor. Provided his knees hold up.

Lee is intriguing, but he might not be able to hang as an undersized swingman.

The cupboard's pretty bare for swingmen where the Spurs are drafting. Maybe they luck out and take a prospect like Batum...and hope his heart doesn't become a major issue.

TheProfessor
06-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Despite his 6'10" frame, it seems he plays more like a SF, who, by the way, is defensively poor. The Spurs absolutely need more offensive punch. yet the more I read about this guy, the more nervous I get. RealGM scouting report below.

http://www.realgm.com/src_fromtherafters/206/20080624/draft_report_ryan_anderson_of_california/
Anderson does not have the speed to defend at the 3. He's a PF that will get bullied defensively, although he does compete on that end of the floor. But so does Bonner, for that matter :lol

If the Spurs go with Anderson, it's because he's a good frontcourt compliment to Mahinmi in the youth department. That's not a bad comination.

T Park
06-25-2008, 01:17 PM
So if the Spurs were to draft say, CDR, and he goes the way of Chris Carrawell, and Ryan Anderson becomes the next Troy Murphy, will it still be grounds to fire Pop and RC?

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 01:17 PM
To be honest, I think this team will be fine, I am willing to make only minor tweaks in order to stick to the plan of 2010. If all we did was get J.R. Smith, I would be ok. The FO did not get us way under the cap for 2010, with only our top 2 or potentially 3 players for no reason or by luck, considering it will be the most outrageous free agent list almost ever, stay the course.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 01:18 PM
All I know is that Troy Murphy would help the Spurs...

DPG21920
Quick question, how do you do an M-Quote?

Marcus Bryant
So if the Spurs were to draft say, CDR, and he goes the way of Chris Carrawell, and Ryan Anderson becomes the next Troy Murphy, will it still be grounds to fire Pop and RC?

I'm not sure if those are the most appropriate comparisons, but the point is a good one. You take who you think will be the best NBA player and sort it out later.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 01:21 PM
I can see how people are getting mad at R.C. and Pop. I think they are trying to say that, even though the Spurs FO has done many good things, it should not become complacent or immune to criticism. All good managers must constantly look for ways to improve and challenge the status quo. Good management is a constantly evolving process that requires you to be open to new ideas and criticisms.

T Park
06-25-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure if those are the most appropriate comparisons, but the point is a good one. You take who you think will be the best NBA player and sort it out later.

Well the videos of Anderson I've seen, he reminds me of a lanky Troy Murphy.

Once again, CDR is a college star who scored well and was considered a great player. Carrawell was like ACC player of the year or something like that, I don't remember.

Again, if Pop and RC see something in this kid, and nothing in the others, then you've got to go with their gut.

If POP wants to go with him, you really go with it, due to him in the past being able to find good players in the rough, ala Udonis Haslem Raja Bell and what not.

T Park
06-25-2008, 01:23 PM
I can see how people are getting mad at R.C. and Pop. I think they are trying to say that, even though the Spurs FO has done many good things, it should not become complacent or immune to criticism. All good managers must constantly look for ways to improve and challenge the status quo. Good management is a constantly evolving process that requires you to be open to new ideas and criticisms.

Uh no one is saying thats bad.

The bad thing is ripping the pick before its made.

Honestly I don't like Ryan Anderson, and I've said if he got picked I'd be pissed. If you read though that Pop liked him and convinced RC to go with it, then you have to be intrigued.

ChumpDumper
:lol Why is everyone thinking they are complacent?

DPG21920
That was my point, I think Anderson is sure NBA player because of size and shooting ability. He does not have the proverbial "upside" as a CDR, but he will be around as a solid role player at least. CDR is a home run type pick, that you can never be sure about, I think we can do no wrong with either.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2008, 01:25 PM

Because there's a rumor that the Spurs may not do as the internets GMs would have them.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 01:27 PM
People think they are complacent because they have adhered to the same strategy that has recently cost them two quality players in Scola and Splitter for whatever the reasons (luxury tax, bigger contracts...). That strategy is a hit or miss and the Spurs were pioneers with it, but as always there are risks involved and the Spurs just so happen to be experiencing those risks right now. People always remember the present and have short memories, thats all.

timvp
06-25-2008, 01:29 PM
I have no problem taking a big at 26. Bigman is by far the strength of this draft. It's actually one of the deepest bigman drafts I've ever seen. That said, Ryan Anderson just isn't a good fit.

The Spurs need a guy who can block shots next to Duncan. As Duncan ages, the aspect of his game that will deteriorate fastest will be his help defense ability. Drafting Anderson, who just might be the worst shot blocking bigman in the draft, is another step in the wrong direction. The Spurs can't keep getting softer and softer next to Duncan.

Offensively, I like Anderson. I think he can make it on the right team. If you want to compare his stats after his first two seasons in college, the players he most compares to are Keith Van Horn, Troy Murphy, Danny Granger and Joe Smith. That's nice company -- especially for 26.

But even those guys destroy Anderson when it comes to defense in college. Anderson averaged around one block+steal per game. Van Horn more than doubled that, Murphy almost tripled that, Granger was four times better and Smith was more than five times better. The Spurs really think their defense can survive by putting this guy into the lineup? Really?

Plus I'm not 100% sure he'll make it even on the offensive end. He has a low release point on his jumper, which he could have problems getting off in the NBA.

I'll be happy if the Spurs draft a bigman in the first because it's probably the highest value position. But just not the worst defensive one in the draft. Is that really too much to ask?

Spur-Addict
06-25-2008, 01:31 PM

Everyone would like to put a positive spin on almost everything. It's not suprising because it's prevalent in many ares of life for alot of people.

timvp
06-25-2008, 01:34 PM
With a low 1st round/2nd round pick I think the first consideration is whether or not that player can actually be a NBA player.The only way this would make any sense to me is if the Spurs see Anderson as one of the very few legit NBA prospects. If that's the case, you draft him even if he doesn't fit.

But I think it's too early for the Spurs to be thinking it's Ryan Anderson or bust at this point. Luckily, I think this report is BS. But we will see.

Avitus1
06-25-2008, 01:34 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

T Park
06-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Right now Rod Thorne is reading this thread thinking "Scrap the plan, ANDERSON IS OUR MAN!!" :lol

rascal
06-25-2008, 01:49 PM
I don't want Anderson. The spurs need to get more athletic and start going away from filling the team with guys who just stand on the perimeter looking for the perimeter shot.

ChumpDumper
06-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Everyone would like to put a positive spin on almost everything.Quite the opposite.
It's not suprising because it's prevalent in many ares of life for alot of people.I guess, but Spurs homerism is one of the few positive attitudes I have in my cynical life.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2008, 01:50 PM
I don't want Anderson. The spurs need to get more athletic and start going away from filling the team with guys who just stand on the perimeter looking for the perimeter shot.

So they take another Marcus Williams and hope that he pans out.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2008, 01:51 PM
I guess, but Spurs homerism is one of the few positive attitudes I have in my cynical life.

Which begats the next question: what's the penalty for said homerism?

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 01:53 PM
He must try to kill himself with a flare gun

SenorSpur
06-25-2008, 01:54 PM
I have no problem taking a big at 26. Bigman is by far the strength of this draft. It's actually one of the deepest bigman drafts I've ever seen. That said, Ryan Anderson just isn't a good fit.

The Spurs need a guy who can block shots next to Duncan. As Duncan ages, the aspect of his game that will deteriorate fastest will be his help defense ability. Drafting Anderson, who just might be the worst shot blocking bigman in the draft, is another step in the wrong direction. The Spurs can't keep getting softer and softer next to Duncan.

I'll be happy if the Spurs draft a bigman in the first because it's probably the highest value position. But just not the worst defensive one in the draft. Is that really too much to ask?

The landscape of competition in the West is getting tougher, especially along the frontlines with the likes of Oden and Aldridge; O'Neal & Stoudamire; Bynum and Gasol. The dependency on Duncan to man both ends of the floor is getting greater each season, when in actuality, his offensive and defensive loads should be decreasing over the next couple of years. Which would prolong his career.

Though he was a beast in the playoffs, it's obvious Duncan badly needs a running mate - not another soft-skills big man who can't defend, can't block shots or rebound the ball. That's precisely why I agree with Timvp, in questioning the logic of the Anderson pick.

This is also why I've been touting the FA acquisition of Desgana Diop. Unless of course, the FO can come up with a rookie big that can provide some of the same defensive skillset and paint presence. I realize Diop has virtually no offense. So it's a matter of trying to get a good balance of both offense and defense. Other than Robin Lopez, I don't see another big in the first round that is capable of providing that lift.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2008, 01:55 PM
The landscape of competition in the West is getting tougher, especially along the frontlines with the likes of Oden and Aldridge; O'Neal & Stoudamire; Bynum and Gasol. The dependency on Duncan to man both ends of the floor is getting greater each season, when in actuality, his offensive and defensive loads should be decreasing over the next couple of years. Which would prolong his career.

Though he was a beast in the playoffs, it's obvious Duncan badly needs a running mate - not another soft-skills big man who can't defend, can't block shots or rebound the ball. That's precisely why I agree with Timvp, in questioning the logic of the Anderson pick.

This is also why I've been touting the FA acquisition of Desgana Diop. Unless of course, the FO can come up with a rookie big that can provide some of the same defensive skillset and paint presence. I realize Diop has virtually no offense. So it's a matter of trying to get a good balance of both offense and defense. Other than Robin Lopez, I don't see another big in the first round that is capable of providing that lift.

How about Ian Mahinmi as that shotblocking and rebounding prospect? Spurs fans seem to forget him.

ChumpDumper
06-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Which begats the next question: what's the penalty for said homerism?Losing every other year?

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Losing every other year?

I think I'm done cutting myself.

SenorSpur
06-25-2008, 02:02 PM
How about Ian Mahinmi as that shotblocking and rebounding prospect? Spurs fans seem to forget him.

Is he ready to begin contributing right now? Will Pop give the young fella some consistent burn or will he banish him to occasional trips to the doghouse?

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2008, 02:02 PM
The only way this would make any sense to me is if the Spurs see Anderson as one of the very few legit NBA prospects. If that's the case, you draft him even if he doesn't fit.

But I think it's too early for the Spurs to be thinking it's Ryan Anderson or bust at this point. Luckily, I think this report is BS. But we will see.

Yeah. On the one hand the Spurs are allegedly moving up to draft a bigman whose stock is based on his defensive capabilities. On the other, they are taking Anderson.

My guess is that the Spurs are blowing smoke. I could see them moving up to take a Chalmers or a Greene. At #26, I think a big like Hickson or Hendrix has more of a Spurs' profile.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Is he ready to begin contributing right now? Will Pop give the young fella some consistent burn or will he banish him to occasional trips to the doghouse?

Does that differ from anyone else in this draft? He's going to get his shot next season.

bigdog
06-25-2008, 02:04 PM

It's about time someone mentions him. We don't really need another bigman. maybe use the late 2nd rounder on one and develop him, but besides that, we have Mahinmi to watch out for already.

SenorSpur
06-25-2008, 02:05 PM
I sure hope they'r blowing smoke. After all, CIA Pop is never one to divulge details of any kind to the media. I wonder how Chad Ford became so convinced the Spurs were "leaning toward" Anderson?

T Park
06-25-2008, 02:05 PM
You can't sign Diop AND and a JR Smith.

T Park
06-25-2008, 02:06 PM
I sure hope they'r blowing smoke. After all, CIA Pop is never one to divulge details of any kind to the media. I wonder how Chad Ford became so convinced the Spurs were "leaning toward" Anderson?

Because probably someone in the organization told him.

Hes yet to learn of the CIA distraction tactics.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2008, 02:06 PM
It's about time someone mentions him. We don't really need another bigman. maybe use the late 2nd rounder on one and develop him, but besides that, we have Mahinmi to watch out for already.

Well, there will be room in Austin for one once Mahinmi joins the rotation.

T Park
06-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Yeah I like the idea of a Hendrix or someone of that ilk playing down in Austin for a year or two while Mahinmi gets his PT with the big boys.

IMO all three picks should have the attitude of BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE. Position be damned.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 02:19 PM
I just read that Pop said not to expect an impact player in the draft, do not know what that means, but.........

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2008, 02:23 PM
I just read that Pop said not to expect an impact player in the draft, do not know what that means, but.........

Standard pre-draft comments.

timvp
06-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Ryan Anderson: Nets at 21, Rockets at 25, Spurs at 26, Celtics at 30, Bulls at 39. Anderson also has played to strong reviews in workouts, and some sources believe he won't slip past the Spurs at No. 26.

"Some sources". Sounds like Ford is backtracking already.

T Park
06-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Ryan Anderson: Nets at 21

:lol

Watch, after the word the Spurs like Anderson, the Nets panic and draft him.

Im really rooting for that to happen :lol

T Park
06-25-2008, 02:33 PM

"Were not making any trades this year" - Pop on trade deadline day in 2005.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 02:41 PM
And they did not make any trades....
I just hope that Hibbert is on the board, I think he could end up being good.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2008, 02:46 PM

Rose for Mohammed.

T Park
06-25-2008, 02:46 PM

Yeah 5 mins later Malik Rose was on TV in tears.

Forget that trade? :)

Thompson
06-25-2008, 02:48 PM
I would be upset if they passed on Batum or Thompson (or a few others) for this guy.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 02:48 PM
I will gladly take Mohammed again, people seem to forget that our defense has slipped, we need another shot blocker and long body, plus Hibbert has solid low post moves, I think he can be much better in the NBA than people expect.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Forgot about that trade, I was thinking '07

koopa
06-25-2008, 03:01 PM
if this is true, this will be the worse draft pick in the history of the spurs, and they've had some bad ones............. why does pop like slow worthless bigs for??

T Park
06-25-2008, 03:03 PM
I hate white people, therefore I hate this pick.

T Park
06-25-2008, 03:04 PM
I will gladly take Mohammed again, people seem to forget that our defense has slipped, we need another shot blocker and long body, plus Hibbert has solid low post moves, I think he can be much better in the NBA than people expect.

Mohammed wasn't a good shotblocker nor good defender.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Hibbert would be a steal imo at the #26. A big that can play right away that has potential to really effect shots, perfect compliment to Ian, Robinson and Duncan compliments without the high skill level..

koopa
06-25-2008, 03:05 PM
how do i hate white ppl if i'm half white??? you are a dumbass........ just cause i don't want more slow white ppl on the spurs doesn't mean i don't like white ppl at all...........

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Mohammed was a good defender and shot blocker, did you watch the playoffs when he was pivotal in helping us win?

T Park
how do i hate white ppl if i'm half white??? you are a dumbass........ just cause i don't want more slow white ppl on the spurs doesn't mean i don't like white ppl at all...........

You said yourself.

No more foreigners, no more white guys.

T Park
Mohammed was a good defender and shot blocker, did you watch the playoffs when he was pivotal in helping us win?

I watched the games.

He missed his defensive assignments probobly 98% of the time he was a Spur.

A blocked shot here or there doesn't a good defender make.

T Park
06-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Hibbert would be a steal imo at the #26. A big that can play right away that has potential to really effect shots, perfect compliment to Ian, Robinson and Duncan compliments without the high skill level..

Hibbert is a slow plodding stiff.

No thanks.

koopa
06-25-2008, 03:08 PM
You said yourself.

No more foreigners, no more white guys.

so that means i hate them??? wow, you really are a retard......

DMX7
06-25-2008, 03:09 PM
I like him but he is a second round pick. This is BS if we waste a first rounder on him (x1000 if Mario Chalmers is still available).

T Park
06-25-2008, 03:10 PM
so that means i hate them??? wow, you really are a retard......

I said it was a racist and xenophobic comment.

You said "Thats what I am then I guess"

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 03:10 PM
Ian is a super athletic big, Hibbert is not as slow as you make him out to be, they would be nice compliments.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 03:12 PM
That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. If he missed 98% of his defensive assignments, he would not of played. Blocks do not = good defense, many people change shots effectively by being long.

T Park
06-25-2008, 03:14 PM
That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. If he missed 98% of his defensive assignments, he would not of played. Blocks do not = good defense, many people change shots effectively by being long.

Rewatch the videos. His missed defensive assignments and inability to grasp the team defense was maddening.

AA2120
06-25-2008, 03:14 PM
i dont think mohammed has any hands...he kept dropping passes..lol

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 03:15 PM
So how come he got burn? His offense? How did we win a chip with him being a main guy in the playoffs?

T Park
06-25-2008, 03:16 PM
i dont think mohammed has any hands...he kept dropping passes..lol

Bad hands, inability to grasp the defense, slow.

I liked Mohammed and he showed flashes, but he didn't do much to justify resigning or keeping himself in SA. Detroit is STILL kicking themselves over that FA signing.

koopa
06-25-2008, 03:19 PM
I said it was a racist and xenophobic comment.

You said "Thats what I am then I guess"

i guess you forgot to read the rest, i said "i guess you can call me that when it comes to basketball players"

but overall, i'm not racist.......

T Park
06-25-2008, 03:20 PM
i guess you forgot to read the rest, i said "i guess you can call me that when it comes to basketball players"

but overall, i'm not racist.......

Ahh so your a selective racist.

That makes alot of sense.

K-State Spur
06-25-2008, 03:29 PM

He did fill a nice role during those playoffs.

But overall in his time here, he was consistently out of position on both ends of the floor. Combine that with his stone hands, and Oberto represented an upgrade.

And Nazr was not a shot blocker, not even close. Elson was actually a better shot blocker in his time here.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 03:31 PM
The whole point of this was to say we need a big to change shots whether by blocked shots of just changing them, we need another big. I never said he was the best shot blocker, I said he was good and changed shots.

T Park
06-25-2008, 03:32 PM
The whole point of this was to say we need a big to change shots whether by blocked shots of just changing them, we need another big. I never said he was the best shot blocker, I said he was good and changed shots.

Well theres this french kid.....

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 03:34 PM
As a compliment to him since splitter is not coming over. There was already "this french kid" when they drafted splitter and expected him to be here this year.

K-State Spur
06-25-2008, 03:38 PM

No thanks.

I don't seem him being a good fit for this team. But I still say Hibbert's more athletic than you give him credit for. He's not gonna remind anyone of Amare, but I wouldn't label him a "stiff" either. Remember that he basically worked Greg Oden last year. His pedestrian stats are more indicative of the offensive that he played in than his actual ability.

He's a good defender, decent shot-blocker, has good hands, nice touch around the rim, is a terrific passer, and has a very high basketball IQ.

I could see him being a Vlade Divac type in the league - and that does have some value. Kinda a 12/8 type of guy in 25-30 mpg.

K-State Spur
06-25-2008, 03:43 PM
I never said he was the best shot blocker, I said he was good and changed shots.

Except he wasn't and he didn't (relative to other centers).

Not only Elson, but Thomas and Horry were also better shot blockers than Nazr.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 03:46 PM
So Nazr could not play D, could not alter shots, had terrible hands, yet played for the Spurs and helped them win a championship? Did Elson or Thomas do that?

T Park
06-25-2008, 03:48 PM
So Nazr could not play D, could not alter shots, had terrible hands, yet played for the Spurs and helped them win a championship? Did Elson or Thomas do that?

Yeah I think Elson helped in 07......

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Elson did not play nearly the role that Nazr did in the championship.

T Park
06-25-2008, 03:52 PM

Nazr's role in the championship is reaching Speedy Claxton like status.

AA2120
06-25-2008, 03:53 PM
speedy>nazr

K-State Spur
06-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Did Elson or Thomas do that?

Yeah, Elson did. And Thomas is a superior player to either, we just didn't have a healthy Manu this time around.

It's not like these are outlandish statements, the numbers are right there in black and white that prove that Nazr wasn't a shot blocker. And when he's blocking less than one shot per game, you know that he's not altering too many more.

T Park
06-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Yeah a healthy Manu propels the Spurs to back to backs.

And people like me and others who championed the move for Thomas would've looked alot smarter :lol

While I say that, i still stand by the acquisition. He was the best bigman available and was a stud in the phoenix series.

I think an offseason plus a training camp and full season with the team will do wonders.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 03:57 PM
I would like to see what you were saying about Nazr when he was playing a huge role, you were probably jocking him. I never said he was a great shot blocker, I said he was a big man that clogged up the lane and altered shots, thats all, and he played way more of a role than Elson did.

T Park
06-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Horry played the majority of bigman minutes in 05 and was the main guy next to Duncan.

So, in a way, Elson's role minute wise wasn't as big, but the roles were the same.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Elson will not get the contract that Nazr got, so obviously others seemed to see something in him.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Elson was a bust for us, Nazr was not...

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 04:02 PM
No doubt a healthy Manu helps, but the whole point of this was saying the Spurs defense has slipped and they need a big man to help out (Hibbert) to go along with Ian. Manu healthy is no guarantee we win, the Celtics D was far and away the best in the league.

T Park
Elson was a bust for us, Nazr was not...

Both of the moves resulted in championships.

Both were neither busts.

K-State Spur

It was 7 points and 7 boards per game in 23 mpg in those playoffs. And these numbers dropped to 4.8 ppg & 6 rpg in the finals (including a goose egg in game 7).

Nice little role player, but it's not like we're renaming the Finals MVP award after him.

T Park
06-25-2008, 04:03 PM
It was 7 points and 7 boards per game in 23 mpg in those playoffs. And these numbers dropped to 4.8 ppg & 6 rpg in the finals (including a goose egg in game 7).

Nice little role player, but it's not like we're renaming the Finals MVP award after him.

Nazr Mohammed
Speedy Claxton

the names of superstars in the minds of Spurs fans :lol

K-State Spur
06-25-2008, 04:04 PM
No doubt a healthy Manu helps, but the whole point of this was saying the Spurs defense has slipped.

Agreed - nobody's arguing that. It's your "misremembering" of Nazr's defense that is the point of contention.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 04:06 PM
That was my point, here, lets solve this, who was better for the Spurs, Elson or Nazr? Obviously, Kurt is the best (career wise) but I wonder if his time has passed a little, he is always in foul trouble and his shot was poor on the Spurs. I do not know if it is age or unfamiliarity from the system, I wonder if we will get to find out. I personally would rather sign Hibbert and let Ian play than sign Kurt and pass on Hibbert. Saves us money and Hibbert will at minimum give us what Kurt did.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 04:08 PM
I never claimed Nazr was a superstar by any stretch, I just said we are missing a longer body like his in the low post who can alter things by just standing there. Oberto and Kurt can not do that. Hibbert can.

SpursChampsIII
06-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Their contract status' are discussed all over the place on this board, even within this thread. Do the leg work.

If you don't know, just say so. You show me where on this thread, prior to my first post, does it say whether or not Batum and Ajinca are under contract overseas? Quit using message boards to try to get a reputation only to embarrass yourself.

K-State Spur
06-25-2008, 04:15 PM
I would like to see what you were saying about Nazr when he was playing a huge role, you were probably jocking him. I never said he was a great shot blocker, I said he was a big man that clogged up the lane and altered shots, thats all, and he played way more of a role than Elson did.

Well, you got the clogging of the lane correctly...

And all of our current big men (save Oberto, who is a much better help defender) alter shots as well Nazr.

K-State Spur
06-25-2008, 04:15 PM
I never claimed Nazr was a superstar by any stretch, I just said we are missing a longer body like his in the low post who can alter things by just standing there. Oberto and Kurt can not do that. Hibbert can.

Kurt is a MUCH better defender and shotblocker at his worst than Nazr is at his best.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Kurt averages .7 blocks a game for his career? Nazr was also much longer.

Tully365
06-25-2008, 04:22 PM
The latest nba.com mock has the Cavs taking Anderson at # 20. A week ago everyone had him mid 2nd round. If he keeps moving at this speed he will be a lottery pick in the '07 draft, thereby changing History and Time as we currently understand them.

T Park
06-25-2008, 04:32 PM
Kurt averages .7 blocks a game for his career? Nazr was also much longer.

Sigh.

Lenth doesnt = great defense.

Come on

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 04:35 PM
If you can point out one time that I said Nazr was a Great defender, I will stop posting. I said his length, regardless of skill or not, changes shots. If he just stands there, with arms extended, it makes it harder to score. Hibbert is a legit 7 footer, who has some skill as well, I think it would be a safe pick, that can contribute right away and have some upside, that is 3 very exciting things from a #26, imho

K-State Spur
06-25-2008, 05:22 PM
If you can point out one time that I said Nazr was a Great defender, I will stop posting. I said his length, regardless of skill or not, changes shots. If he just stands there, with arms extended, it makes it harder to score. Hibbert is a legit 7 footer, who has some skill as well, I think it would be a safe pick, that can contribute right away and have some upside, that is 3 very exciting things from a #26, imho

guys who don't block shots don't change shots. they could be 8 feet tall and that would still be true.

BOHOLANO#21
06-25-2008, 05:30 PM
:lol :lol :lol

Instead of an athletic slasher, they target Matt Bonner Jr. when they already have Matt Bonner. :lmao

exactly...

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 05:52 PM
OK, K-State, then how come so many big guys that are "not shot-blockers" are still in the league. Especially ones that have limited offensive games like Nazr? You can not teach size.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Anyways, you are missing the point, Hibbert would be a very nice #26, but I doubt he falls that far.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 05:54 PM
guys who don't block shots don't change shots. they could be 8 feet tall and that would still be true.

So Kurt Thomas does not change shots?

K-State Spur
06-25-2008, 05:55 PM
So Kurt Thomas does not change shots?

not particularly.

K-State Spur
06-25-2008, 05:57 PM
OK, K-State, then how come so many big guys that are "not shot-blockers" are still in the league. Especially ones that have limited offensive games like Nazr? You can not teach size.

because you can't put a 6'5 guy on shaq or duncan without giving up 50+ points.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Smaller guys guard Duncan all the time, what about Ronny Turiaf? What about the Malik Roses of the world, or the Okafors

K-State Spur
06-25-2008, 06:20 PM
Smaller guys guard Duncan all the time, what about Ronny Turiaf? What about the Malik Roses of the world, or the Okafors

LOL. Turiaf & Okafor are both the same size as Nazr.

Nbadan
06-25-2008, 07:02 PM
The Spurs FO should be commited if they take Anderson...

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Well the videos of Anderson I've seen, he reminds me of a lanky Troy Murphy.

Once again, CDR is a college star who scored well and was considered a great player. Carrawell was like ACC player of the year or something like that, I don't remember.

Again, if Pop and RC see something in this kid, and nothing in the others, then you've got to go with their gut.

If POP wants to go with him, you really go with it, due to him in the past being able to find good players in the rough, ala Udonis Haslem Raja Bell and what not.

What domestic draftee in the last nine years have the Spurs hit on?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-25-2008, 08:28 PM

No thanks.

As is Anderson.

T Park
06-25-2008, 08:34 PM
What domestic draftee in the last nine years have the Spurs hit on?

Whens the last time Pop picked a domestic draftee?

Last time he tried to pick one, was Josh Howard.

T Park
06-25-2008, 08:35 PM
As is Anderson.

Won't get an arguement out of me.

I don't like Anderson.

objective
06-25-2008, 08:36 PM
How is CDR now Carrawell and Anderson now Murphy?

Why not CDR as Josh Howard and Anderson as Kirk Haston or Cal Bowdler?

Basically any late first is a gamble for staying the league regardless of position. The Spurs as of right now would have greater opportunities at the 1-3 spots than 4-5 on the floor. With Finley a free agent, Barry very old and injury prone, Vaughn proven as no better than a 3rd string point guard, and Manu and Bruce susceptible to injuries, there's at least some opportunity there. It's an applied gamble.

If the Spurs drafted Anderson or any big, Jawai for example, the opportunities probably wouldn't be there. As it is there's Duncan and his major block of minutes, plus Oberto, plus Mahinmi who supposedly could get an opportunity, plus Bonner who replicates the skills of Anderson, plus the possibilities of a re-signed Kurt Thomas and even the longshot of a re-signed Robert Horry . . . where's the opportunity for a big man if there's no guarantee that Mahinmi even gets a chance. If KT is re-signed, that's probably a multi-year deal. So you could have a solid 2+ more seasons through summer 2010 of TD, Mahinmi, Oberto, KT and Bonner before a young big could step on the floor. Meanwhile in summer 09 the only smalls guaranteed are Ginobili, Parker, and Bowen if the Spurs miss out on the prime swingmen this summer with the MLE. Vaughn's deal will be up. Udoka's deal will be up. Barry's deal will be heading into a non-guaranteed year just waiting to be bought out.

I'd rather a gamble on a wing player if one slides to 26 than Anderson or Jawai. It's entirely plausible one doesn't last that long, so it might be moot anyway.

K-State Spur
06-25-2008, 08:48 PM
I'll go on the record as saying that I thought Carrawell was going to be a quality player.

He had some real technique issues and his quickness was in question, but I thought he was gritty enough to overcome.

I think, ultimately, his college game just relied too much on elevating over smaller defenders. Longer defenders combined with a sluggish first step (along with mediocre defense) neutralized much of what made him successful.

I think CDR's game translates better to the league. He'll rarely be the best player on the court like he was at Memphis, but he should still be able to do many of the things that he did for the Tigers.

rascal
06-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Anyways, you are missing the point, Hibbert would be a very nice #26, but I doubt he falls that far.,

There are too many teams that can use a big NJ Cleveland Toronto. He won't be available for the spurs.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Good. I'd rather see the Spurs take Jordan.

SequSpur
06-25-2008, 10:28 PM
IF the Spurs draft Ryan Anderson, I will send them a fucking email ripping them apart. I will also, protest outside their practice facility Friday morning.

T Park
06-25-2008, 10:38 PM
IF the Spurs draft Ryan Anderson, I will send them a fucking email ripping them apart. I will also, protest outside their practice facility Friday morning.

and that will mean jack shit to them.

Russ
06-25-2008, 10:40 PM
This guy looks like Pee Wee Herman

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/nba/draft2008/headshots/19084.jpg

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Fine at #45. Not so at #26. In any event, it won't matter much next season.

Spurtacus
06-25-2008, 10:42 PM

They will laugh at you.

romad_20
06-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Who has actually seen Anderson play? I played against him when he was 15 and have several mutual friends with him.

Well that's pretty vague. Is he worth taking over CDR?

angelbelow
06-25-2008, 10:46 PM
DX is saying that batum is purposely trying to get drafted by us.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Word-on-the-Street-Denver-trades-20-pick-to-Charlotte-2946/

T Park
06-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Very interesting.

I'm honestly iffy on the possibility of Batum. I just don't know enough about him to get excited about....

Spurtacus
06-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Very interesting.

I'm honestly iffy on the possibility of Batum. I just don't know enough about him to get excited about....

I feel the same way. I want someone that can come in and play some minutes next season. No more projects.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 10:59 PM
If he is healthy, and given time to grow and is head strong (a lot of ifs) he can be a Danny Granger type, I think. But I have not really seen him play, just what was online.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 11:00 PM
No one we can draft will come in and play anyways, unless someone falls way deeper than they should by some weird chance.

T Park
06-25-2008, 11:07 PM
I disagree.

CDR, Lee, Rush, or Chalmers would be in the rotation.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Well from all the mocks Rush is out of our reach along with Chalmers, so they do not count imo, Lee might, but very limited, and CDR would be a gamble at best.

K-State Spur
06-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Well from all the mocks Rush is out of our reach along with Chalmers, so they do not count imo, Lee might, but very limited, and CDR would be a gamble at best.

CDR would be the starting 2 guard by playoff time AT BEST.

DPG21920
06-25-2008, 11:17 PM
That is the gamble, he could be the starting 2, but could also be a complete bust... I believe he will be fine, but by no means a lock

Spaceman Spiff
06-26-2008, 03:41 AM
To everyone that jokingly said that this would make the Nets want him....you all get a gold star in my book. (That'd be you T Park.)

Not that it means a lot, but Chad Ford has the Nets taking Anderson at 21 (!) in his latest mock. It's Nenad all over again.

angelbelow
06-26-2008, 03:58 AM
chris ford also has chalmers going lottery, how accurate is this guy anywhen?

mrspurs
06-26-2008, 07:43 AM
everytime i see someone type bring horry back it makes me wonder.(what was everyone watching this past season?)..horry is worthless, meaningless, his days have been done...because of him and guys like mighty mouse,bonner and a couple of other no good for nothing but shining the pine players, we lost HCA...those guys did nothing to help rest our real players during the season...get the big4 some help during the season, win HCA and maybe just maybe we have another excellent shot.....bring back those players and for me personally it will be officical....the spurs front office sucks........and i hate typing that....go spurs go

K-State Spur
06-26-2008, 09:26 AM
chris ford also has chalmers going lottery, how accurate is this guy anywhen?

let's just say that he makes Mel Kiper look like Nostradamus.

AA2120
06-26-2008, 09:31 AM
mel kiper FTW!

OleMissMike
06-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Get Batum instead...

This guy is probably Oberto 2 minus the gay haircut

SenorSpur
06-26-2008, 02:29 PM
everytime i see someone type bring horry back it makes me wonder.(what was everyone watching this past season?)..horry is worthless, meaningless, his days have been done...

Can't argue with you on that point. In fact, all of which makes me wonder why the Spurs are so fixated with saying they're looking for guys that can play "someday". With the age, limited cap space and diminshed skill sets of some of the older vets, it seems to me that "someday" is "today".