PDA

View Full Version : A&M signs best player in Texas and best TE in the nation!

Jimcs50
02-01-2005, 09:40 AM
Feb. 1, 2005, 1:01AM

Bennett decides to attend A&M
Basketball pitch by Gillispie helps sway tight end
By NIKI HERBERT
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Here's one you might not have heard before: Highly touted football recruit picks Texas A&M — for its basketball program.

Alief Taylor's Martellus Bennett, rated No. 1 among the nation's high school tight ends, and No.1 football prospect in Texas, announced Monday night he will be spending his next four seasons in College Station. He had narrowed his choices to A&M, Texas and LSU because all three schools said he could play both football and basketball. :elephant

"Coach (Billy) Gillispie showed me the most love in basketball," Bennett said of the man who, in his first season at the A&M helm, has guided a previously wretched program to a 14-4 record. "Texas is stacked with (basketball) talent, but with me coming in and (Fort Bend Marshall's) Dave Devezin coming in, we'll be real good. A&M (basketball) is on the rise."

With national signing day looming Wednesday, Bennett was the last of the state's top recruits to make a commitment.

Earlier Monday at Boudreaux's, Westside's R.J. Jackson and Lamar's Brandon La Fell — both All-District 21-5A selections — announced they are headed to LSU. Jackson played running back, slot receiver and cornerback in addition to being a return man for the Wolves. La Fell, a receiver for the Redskins, also played cornerback for the first time this past season.

During the weekend, Dallas Kimball defensive lineman DeMarcus Granger picked Oklahoma over Texas, Texas A&M, LSU and Tennessee. Marcus Jackson, who is R.J.'s brother and started at quarterback for Westside, announced Monday he will attend TCU.

"It's a comfortable atmosphere in a nice city," Marcus Jackson said of the Fort Worth school. "It reminds me of Houston with just different people."

The jewel of A&M's class, Bennett is the first among the group to have landed a five-star rating from Rivals.com. Texas A&M expects to sign 25 recruits, and Bennett is the 22nd commitment. Before Bennett's announcement, A&M's class was ranked No. 7 in the nation by Rivals.com., but with Bennett's signing, A&M is now ranked No. 5 in the nation. :smokin

Bennett's older brother Michael, a 6-4, 245-pound defensive end, will also be at Texas A&M. Michael signed with Louisiana Tech last year but did not attend classes and signed with A&M in December.

Martellus Bennett has long been a football prospect, but the 6-7 power forward has seen his stock rise in basketball over the last year. That has him still wondering which sport will get more of his attention in college.

"I plan on choosing my sophomore year," Bennett said. "I want to see which one will take me the furthest."

R.J. Jackson and La Fell cited the proximity of Baton Rouge, La., to Houston as a key factor in their decision to head to LSU.

"We went through a lot trying to get to Florida, and it was something R.J. and I said our moms would not want to go through," said La Fell, who visited Gainesville, Fla., this past weekend. "I had to fly into Orlando and then drive to the school. It was a hassle. We want our family to come see us. That is important to us."

Another factor for Jackson was the opportunity to play running back.

"I just want the ball in my hands," he said. "It was real important to me to play running back. I will play anywhere as long as I play. But I do prefer to be on the offensive side of the ball. I started counting out schools (such as Miami) that wanted me as a safety."

Jimcs50
02-01-2005, 09:40 AM
I can see great things for A&M in basketball and football from now on.

IcemanCometh
02-01-2005, 10:56 AM
wonder how much they paid him

Jimcs50
02-01-2005, 11:31 AM
read the article, numbnuts.

Aggies were the only team to, give him bball scholarship too.

Jimcs50
02-01-2005, 11:52 AM
I wonder how good a bball player he is. He has a big body, that is for sure.

samikeyp
02-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Best TE definetly, not the best overall player in Texas.

Would have liked to see him go to UT but at least he is staying in state.

Jimcs50
02-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Best TE definetly, not the best overall player in Texas.

Would have liked to see him go to UT but at least he is staying in state.

According to the people that rate the HS players, he is the best player in Texas.

samikeyp
02-01-2005, 12:49 PM
depends on which people. There are so many recruiting "experts" out there now. Still, he is a great player.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Even the burnt orange homers say he was the best player in the state (I'm sure that'll change now ;) ).

Jim, he'll be on football scholarship. I talked to him for a while when he visited A&M, he really loves Coach Gillispie. I think that was the difference, it sounds like Billy did a better job on the hoops side of thing than Barnes or the LSU coach (name escapes me) did.

Great pick up. I think in the end he'll be playing hoops and dropping bball, their family doc thinks he'll grow 2-3 inches more before it's all said and done.

IcemanCometh
02-01-2005, 01:17 PM
uhm he wasn't good enough to play for ut hoops and he wanted to be the man on a shit football team.

Hook Dem
02-01-2005, 01:33 PM
"Even the burnt orange homers say ....." ....................................Well spoken by a "maroon" homer! :lol

Jimcs50
02-01-2005, 01:45 PM
uhm he wasn't good enough to play for ut hoops and he wanted to be the man on a shit football team.

Yeah, let me hear what you say when he stuffs PJ Tucker and puts him on the floor next year.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-01-2005, 02:10 PM
hm he wasn't good enough to play for ut hoops and he wanted to be the man on a shit football team.

LOL, he had a hoops scholarship offer from Duke, but that wasn't good enough to cut it at tu.

(and by the way, he had the offer to play hoops for Barnes as well, despite what the orange hype machine is spinning today)

:lmao

Jimcs50
02-01-2005, 02:13 PM
LOL, he had a hoops scholarship offer from Duke, but that wasn't good enough to cut it at tu.

(and by the way, he had the offer to play hoops for Barnes as well, despite what the orange hype machine is spinning today)

:lmao

* high five to AHF*

Mr Dio
02-01-2005, 07:54 PM
depends on which people. There are so many recruiting "experts" out there now Mikey, some idiots don't know that the ratings aren't based on an actual skills competition or game. No way this guy goes to UT & starts, him or Ryan P.
Remember when a guy named McNeal signed w/the laggies & everyone in Bumpsville was calling him Jesus? Well, Jesus got whipped & raped in his 1st bowl game. Too many idiots were saying Regina McNeal was better than VY & well, we all see how stupid the maroon morons now look. Try to find a laggie man enough to admit that they were saying McNeal was better than VY & would lead the lags to victory. Go ahead & try.
I've said it before & I'll it again, UT will finish with a better record than the lags & BEAT THE lags AGAIN. Rouse, Turner, DeSean Jackson & the PSU WR commit are the only guys that could've helped a team as deep as UT this next yr. Lags can use help everywhere.

Spurminator
02-01-2005, 07:57 PM
About the only thing more amusing than hardcore Aggies are hardcore Aggie haters...

Mr Dio
02-01-2005, 08:11 PM
Hate would mean the lags mean something to me. They don't.

Jimcs50
02-01-2005, 08:21 PM
Hate would mean the lags mean something to me. They don't.

I will bet you that Reggie is drafted ahead of Young.

Mr Dio
02-01-2005, 08:36 PM
I will bet you the next time UT & the lags play in Football, Basketball OR Baseball..
I will bet you McNeal NEVER is the starting QB in a Super Bowl.
I will bet you UT TE Thomas has more TDs in '05 than MBennett.

Take your pick, ball is in your court.

Spurminator
02-01-2005, 08:42 PM
They don't.

That must be why you can be trusted to post in every Aggie related thread.

Mr Dio
02-01-2005, 08:45 PM
And you are sure to follow me. Hmm, like men Spermeater? That is cool, I'm straight though sweetie.

Mr Dio
02-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Only thing more amusing than hardcore lags are their boyfriends.

Mr Dio
02-01-2005, 08:57 PM
That must be why you can be trusted to post in every Aggie related thread.

Hey SpermEater, hate to make you look like a dumbass but.....
Here is one I haven't, it took me almost a whole minute to find one!
Should I look for another?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9154&highlight=aggie

Mr Dio
02-01-2005, 09:02 PM
That must be why you can be trusted to post in every Aggie related thread

As tempted as I was I didn't post in this one either.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8478&highlight=aggie

There wasn't any smack thrown around about UT athletics so I let it be.
I do believe in being respectful if others are as well. If not then it is on.

Well dumbass?????

Marcus Garvey
02-01-2005, 09:08 PM
What a sad motherfucker. The saddest part of all is he couldn't get into Texas or Texas A&M. But, but...he was with Earl back in the day.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Mr. Dio, the sad part is you weren't smart enough to get into either tu or A&M, and try and bring your sorry ass UTSA Roadrunner smack into a thread discussing A&M-tu players.

I've got some great friends that went to school in Austin, and there is one thing they hate as much as I do... sorry ass longhorn bandwagon fans that didn't go there but try and talk smack on their behalf.

So shut the fuck up. The only thing worse than a gloating longhorn is a gloating longhorn wannabe. Get yourself a life and quit being such a poser.

Mr Dio
02-01-2005, 09:44 PM
No Mucus, I saw Earl play when you were still sucking dick in the library because the toughest game you ever played was being hetero..You failed.
Mucus, channel you energy to something useful like being a man, IF you can.

AHF..You ever get the balls to sign up for the Corps son? What about you Mucus sack of shit? AHF gonna join the CIA/FBI/DEA yeah yeah yeah. My ass! AHF is a COWARD & he talks about joining this that & the other thing. Son, you & Mucus stay in the library & read about a bonfire while Mommy & Daddy pay your bills. OK?

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-01-2005, 09:48 PM
LOL, you wanna knows what's sad?

The government job looks like it's gonna pan out, and I'll be helping protect everyone, even your sorry ass, from the bad guys.

Such a shame. For someone who supposedly got a college education, it sure didn't help you out with that whole maturity thing, let alone making sense. I showed this thread to a friend of mine who went to UTSA (she's a teacher) and said "yeah, we definitely had a few dumbasses in class."

Mr Dio
02-01-2005, 10:02 PM
I'll be helping protect everyone, even your sorry ass, from the bad guys

:elephant :blah :spin :lol :rolleyes

That is too funny! The "gov't job" huh? I guess the Corps was a little too tough bitch? Did your parents have any sons that had balls?
I would love to hear what this "gov't job is.
You man enough to say or is it all bullshit as usual from you?
Too funny! Keep me save. :lol :lol :lol

I don't doubt you know some cunt from UTSA, plenty of Ho's there. She a Ho or just really lonely to keep your company? Let me guess, she was GREEK!

You & Urkel Garvey go ask mommy & daddy for more tuition money.

Marcus Garvey
02-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Damn, poor bastard couldn't get in.

Mr Dio
02-01-2005, 10:08 PM
Leave AHF alone Urkel! It isn't his fault he doesn't have the balls to got to Boot Camp!

Mr Dio
02-01-2005, 10:11 PM
All it takes is balls to get in the infantry.

You ever serve loser? Let me guess, "Oh well my flat feet.."

Mr Dio
02-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Goodnight gentlemen!
Thanks for the smack & shit talking. This Democracy is GREAT isn't it?!
I applaud all your accomplishments in life & wish you all well.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Well...

It will involve doing intel for the Navy, and yeah, I'll have to go to boot camp, so suck on that bitch.

This thread really shows what a serious problem you got though, it was a good thread until you came along with your UT/A&M reject wannabe trash talk.

Who's UTSA's rival? Incarnate Word? Flipping burgers must suck.

Jimcs50
02-01-2005, 11:45 PM
What did I start here?

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-02-2005, 12:04 AM
Jim, you didn't start anything. Mr. Dio just hijacked this thread with his usual shit. He couldn't get into either A&M or Texas, went to UTSA, and for some reason feels compelled to bring his little dick smack talk to this site on behalf of the Austin crowd.

I've got him on Ignore, bandwagon fans from third party schools have no business in A&M-Texas smack talk.

samikeyp
02-02-2005, 12:58 AM
I disagree. I did not go to either school but as a fan I have a right to be heard, although there is a difference between talking shit and giving an opinion. Now I don't stoop to the ignorance of the whole "we" and "us" crap since I didn't go there. Sadly people on both sides do that. Unless you graduated from that institution, you cannot claim them as "we" or "us" IMO.

samikeyp
02-02-2005, 01:06 AM
Back on the original topic....regardless of who ranked him where...the kid is a stud. Props to Franchione for landing him.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-02-2005, 01:16 AM
mikey, I have no problem with intelligent banner.

I have problems with dumbasses like Mr. Dio who go completely over the line with personal attacks relating to a rivalry between two schools that they couldn't get in to.

samikeyp
02-02-2005, 01:18 AM
agreed. You mean like the people who yell "We are gonna kill 'insert favorite school's rival here' this year!" and didn't set foot on campus? :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-02-2005, 01:20 AM
Yep, those are the ones! :lol

Mr Dio
02-02-2005, 09:17 AM
I have problems with dumbasses like Mr. Dio who go completely over the line with personal attacks relating to a rivalry between two schools that they couldn't get in to

Mr. Dio, the sad part is you weren't smart enough to get into either tu or A&M, and try and bring your sorry ass UTSA Roadrunner smack into a thread discussing A&M-tu players.

So shut the fuck up.

it sure didn't help you out with that whole maturity thing, let alone making sense.

Flipping burgers must suck.

Hey LaggieHoopsFuck,
Those are all your qoutes. Talk about personal attacks.
You are obviously a dumbass hypocrite huh?
I never said I went to UT. I've ALWAYS said I went to UTSA & if you hate everyone who goes/went there then your teacher friend is a HO?
I never flipped burgers but I would've done that then ask Mom or Dad to pay my way after I tunred 18yo. You even 18yo yet little bitch? I'm sure many people have put themselves thru school or supported their families flipping burgers. You saying that isn't an honorable job little bitch?
If you want this to get personal that is fine with me. I thought it was all good jokes & smack talk.
Little cunts like you need mommy's left tit to make you feel better about being unable to support yourself. You are indeed a loser. You have 2 legs but can't stand on either one huh?
Once again, I went to UTSA & NEVER claimed to attend school @ any other school & I WAS NEVER A FRAT kid either! I don't pay for friends. I have since 7yo followed UT ATHLETICS but you obviously can't understand that. I can care less about their frats or classes.
MikeyP, find where I've applied to or considered going to UT? I came straight from CA to SA & went to UTSA because it was affordable for me, YUP, I supported myself.
You done sucking on momma's tits LaggieLoopsFuck?
I'll make it as personal as you want it. You can either go somewhere else with your tail between your legs (as usual) or shut the fuck up & don't comment on my posts.

Mr Dio
02-02-2005, 09:22 AM
mikey, I have no problem with intelligent banner.

Dumb FUCK Laggie, get off the Bonfire committee. The word is "banter" but of course you meant to post that right?

Look @ your post again AHF. See how much of an ass you are? Dumbass that is.

Mr Dio
02-02-2005, 09:24 AM
I guess all that the low dollar UTSA education can teach someone is to spell.

That wasn't a typo on your part you obviously didn't know the meaning of the word.
Now talk to me about how good a school is.

office handle
02-02-2005, 09:44 AM
all of you suck hows that?

samikeyp
02-02-2005, 10:20 AM
MikeyP, find where I've applied to or considered going to UT?
Dio...when was I talking about you? Not once did I mention you in any of my posts. I was speaking in general about Aggie and Longhorn fans who run around like dumbasses yelling "WE won!" when in fact they can't even spell Austin or College Station much less have stepped foot on either campus. I was not saying that you were one of those specifically....I was saying that people who do that are morons.

Hook Dem
02-02-2005, 12:10 PM
What did I start here?
Indeed Jim! :lol

Spurminator
02-02-2005, 02:23 PM
I stand corrected. Mr. Dio really doesn't care about TAMU.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-02-2005, 02:27 PM
It's called a typo dumbfuck. You know your smack talk is weak shit when you have to whip out the spelling police smack talk.

Mr Dio
02-02-2005, 08:52 PM
MikeyP, I know you weren't alluding to me. I wanted you to check if I had done what that faggot fuck states I did. He'd belive you but

SpermEater, how can anyone not hate AHF? Total lame ass punk kid who is trying to talk like a man but still gets claimed on his Mom & Dad's taxes.

LaggieHoopsFanny, you are truly a hypocrite & a dumbass. Go get a job & stop making out with frat boys playing with matchsticks. "Navy job" might come thru? You are a true DUMBASS if you can't get into the Navy.