PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Shoot For Future Stars In Tonight's Draft

duncan228
06-25-2008, 11:54 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA062608.BKN.SpursDraft.EN.3c8eaacd.html

NBA: Spurs shoot for future stars in tonight's draft
Jeff McDonald

Seven years ago, the Spurs used the 28th pick in the NBA draft to select a skinny, unknown teenager from France, hoping only that one day he would blossom into a starter.

Eventually, Tony Parker turned out to be an All-Star and a Finals MVP.

In the six drafts since, the Spurs have been unable to recapture that late first-round lightning in a bottle. Heading into this year’s annual NBA Pick-apalooza tonight, they are expecting that streak to continue.

“You’re not going to get Tony Parker every year at that position,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “We’re just hoping to get a player there who can be an NBA player, someday.”

Part of the penance for the Spurs’ success in the past decade is a perpetual draft position in the mid-to-low 20s.

So while the front offices in Chicago and Miami tonight ponder the idea of landing the “Who’s who” of this year’s crop — Memphis point guard Derrick Rose, Kansas State forward Michael Beasley and Southern California guard O.J. Mayo among them — the Spurs are again left to sift through a handful of “Who’s that?” prospects at the bottom of the first round.

Their first-round pick this year — No. 26 overall — is actually two spots better than the one used to nab Parker in 2001. They also have two second-round picks, Nos. 45 and 57 overall.

Odds are, whomever the Spurs tab at those spots will not figure heavily in their plans next season. Recent history suggests it will be a tall enough task for new prospects to even make the team immediately.

The draft has not been the Spurs’ most oft-used tool for retooling: Outside of the All-Star triumvirate of Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Parker, no member of the team’s %regular rotation last season was originally a Spurs draft pick.

Instead, the Spurs have filled in the blanks around their “Big Three” with veteran free agents, moderately priced. That seems to be the game plan this offseason as well.

“We want people who can play now, who can add to our bench now,” Popovich said. “People who could play if we had a game tomorrow.”

That’s not to say the Spurs are planning to eschew tonight’s festivities altogether.

Spurs general manager R.C. Buford has been dealt enough of these 20-something picks to know what to expect.

Lesson No. 1: Stock up on plenty of caffeine and NoDoz.

“It takes a long time to get through 26 or 27 names,” Buford said.

Lesson No. 2: Even the best-laid plans can be blown up by the whims of two dozen other teams picking before him.

“You only have available what you have available,” Buford said. “You’re definitely at the mercy of the depth of the talent pool.”

If the Spurs’ wish list is exhausted early, they haven’t ruled out trading out of the first round. Team officials, however, remain optimistic that this year’s draft is deep enough to leave them a player worth selecting at No. 26.

That player might even — gasp! — be another foreigner.

One of the Spurs’ favorite draft-day ploys has been to take a foreign-born player with lottery talent and an overseas contract, and then stashing him in Europe until he’s ready for the NBA.

High-profile struggles in getting draft picks Luis Scola and, more recently, Tiago Splitter into a Spurs jersey apparently have not made the team skittish about going that route again.

“It’s better to have someone baking in the oven than to take somebody who you know can’t play,” Popovich said.

Among the available college players believed to have worked out for the Spurs are Maryland forward James Gist, IUPUI guard George Hill, UNC-Greensboro forward Kyle Hines, California center DeVon Hardin, Tennessee-Martin guard Lester Hudson, Arkansas guard Sonny Weems, Houston forward Dion Dowell and Alabama forward Richard Hendrix.

A handful of overseas prospects are also believed to be on the Spurs’ radar, including French forwards Nicolas Batum and Alexis Ajinca, as well as Serge Ibaka, a 6-foot-10, 18-year-old forward from the Congo.

If the Spurs are looking for the next Tony Parker in that group, an immediate impact player, chances are they aren’t going to find him.

“Nobody we pick at that position is going to help us immediately,” Popovich said. “Maybe he helps you two or three years down the road, maybe he can be a sub. But you’re not going to get an impact player right off the bat.”

Notebook: Popovich and Buford will have additional help making their draft-night decision. Parker had lunch with Popovich in New York City recently and asked how the head coach and executive vice-president of basketball operations would feel about his hanging around the draft night “war room” to see how the process takes place.

“Pop said that would be no problem,” Parker said Wednesday afternoon during a conference call after EA Sports announced he would be on the cover of its next edition of the NBA Live video game. “I’m very excited, looking forward to how it goes and just to learn about it.”

Can the Spurs count on Parker for some inside knowledge about French prospects Nicolas Batum or Alexis Ajinca, both projected to go in the latter stages of the first round?

“To be honest,” Parker said, “I don’t know that much about them. I’ve never seen them play. I’ve just heard stuff about them. But I wish them luck.”

Parker has been traveling extensively since the Spurs were eliminated from the playoffs, from New York City to France and Italy, even to Russia.

Up next: More travel.

“This time,” he said, “the real vacation. The other travel was extra, only because we didn’t go to the Finals.”

What did he think of the Finals?

“I didn’t watch any of it,” he said.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2008, 11:57 PM
“You’re not going to get Tony Parker every year at that position,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “We’re just hoping to get a player there who can be an NBA player, someday.”

Instead, the Spurs have filled in the blanks around their “Big Three” with veteran free agents, moderately priced. That seems to be the game plan this offseason as well.

“We want people who can play now, who can add to our bench now,” Popovich said. “People who could play if we had a game tomorrow.”

T Park
06-25-2008, 11:59 PM
High-profile struggles in getting draft picks Luis Scola and, more recently, Tiago Splitter into a Spurs jersey apparently have not made the team skittish about going that route again.

“It’s better to have someone baking in the oven than to take somebody who you know can’t play,” Popovich said.

That creaking sound you hear is Spurstalk about to collapse.

Marcus Bryant
If the Spurs’ wish list is exhausted early, they haven’t ruled out trading out of the first round. Team officials, however, remain optimistic that this year’s draft is deep enough to leave them a player worth selecting at No. 26.

T Park
:lol

Pop totally talked in a complete circle.

Classic CIA.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2008, 12:01 AM
Among the available college players believed to have worked out for the Spurs are Maryland forward James Gist, IUPUI guard George Hill, UNC-Greensboro forward Kyle Hines, California center DeVon Hardin, Tennessee-Martin guard Lester Hudson, Arkansas guard Sonny Weems, Houston forward Dion Dowell and Alabama forward Richard Hendrix.

ROFL. They've worked out Donte Greene. Makes you wonder...

T Park
06-26-2008, 12:02 AM
I don't follow....

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2008, 12:02 AM
What did he think of the Finals?

“I didn’t watch any of it,” he said.

:smokin

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2008, 12:03 AM
I don't follow....

They've worked out more than likely 2nd rounders....

T Park
06-26-2008, 12:03 AM
They've worked out more than likely 2nd rounders....

Gotcha.

I don't see why they are so down on guys like Lee, Batum, CDR, Chalmers and others.

Spurtacus
06-26-2008, 12:05 AM
By "future stars" hope 2-3 years....

anakha
06-26-2008, 12:06 AM
I can almost foresee a meltdown thread starting tomorrow... :lol

TheProfessor
06-26-2008, 12:08 AM
Gotcha.

I don't see why they are so down on guys like Lee, Batum, CDR, Chalmers and others.
We really don't know how they feel about those guys. And they're clearly not down on Batum.

T Park
06-26-2008, 12:08 AM
Yeah Spurstalk's servers are gonna need fans from the meltdown thats gonna happen.

Blackjack
06-26-2008, 12:12 AM
ROFL. They've worked out Donte Greene. Makes you wonder...

Yeah, I'd say that list might be a little less than complete.

It does make you wonder though....

Was Pop cordial with Monroe after he gave him the press-release of who they worked out?

I think China would be impressed with Pop's "full-disclosure" to the media. :lmao

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2008, 12:23 AM
I think the difference between parker and the later players is that during his rookie and first few seasons, he got starters minutes which is better development than riding the bench or gym practice dolls.....

hence if we can draft a really nba ready player and give them starters minutes...who knows how early that player can reach the potential we projected them to be....

SPURSGOAT
06-26-2008, 12:50 AM

“Nobody we pick at that position is going to help us immediately,” Popovich said. “Maybe he helps you two or three years down the road, maybe he can be a sub. But you’re not going to get an impact player right off the bat.”

:pctoss

TDMVPDPOY
06-26-2008, 12:52 AM
CDR
BATUM
HIBBERT

those 3 would be nice....on the spurs team

taps
06-26-2008, 03:53 AM
Somethings going on behind the iron curtain. Pop has been typically tight-lipped lately but Tony's presence on draft night and his cryptic response to questioning tells me he's learning the management ninjitsu. I'll wait till all the chips land in July to pass judgment.

mrspurs
06-26-2008, 07:56 AM
all this tells me is that.....the FO office got lucky with parker.....since him their luck and their picks have been horrible...and or dumb (picking players who dont show up in spurs uniforms)....all this article tells me is that if we dont get lucky....we get to see more meaningless names for draft picks..(imo duncan has 1 more yr of great basketball play, parker maybe 5yrs,manu maybe 2, and bowen maybe 2) and then its over..unless we get lucky.....i hope im wrong...go spurs go

Manufan909
06-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Ok...
1) Duncan has at least 3 more years, since his game is based on spped or athleticism
2) Bowen is ageless, but I agree with you
3) I'd say 3 for Manu
4) Parker I'd say 6/7

It's all good, your cup is half empty, mine's half full.
GO SPURS!!!

wisnub
06-26-2008, 02:59 PM
I think we all agree we need impact player now.... Its okay to have another project player,but just make sure no more overseas contract draft player again. Duncan still got 3 or 4 more years,and hopefully Spurs management will add another star or future stars by then.

I swear i will never watch basketball again if Spurs keep banking on waiting for overseas contract to expire and develop another yet to be seen n proven player. God Bless America

The Truth #6
06-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Parker's answers about the other French players seem like total BS. What Tony's angle in all of this is remains mysterious. It would be nice to think they need him to do some translating with French agents, but it's just as likely he just happened to be in New York.

Preparing for a horrible draft is probably the best idea but hopefully it turns out better.

Ocotillo
06-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Mission Accomplished!

There is full disinformation out there that everyone is confused as hell as to what will happen tonight in regards to the Spurs.

As for needing No-Doz or caffeine to get through the first 25 picks, maybe McDonald needs the stuff, I need some Ritalin to calm down.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Parker's answers about the other French players seem like total BS. What Tony's angle in all of this is remains mysterious. It would be nice to think they need him to do some translating with French agents, but it's just as likely he just happened to be in New York.

Preparing for a horrible draft is probably the best idea but hopefully it turns out better.

The 'War Room' is in SA...