PDA

View Full Version : Geek Nightmares..........

mouse
06-26-2008, 01:22 AM
Post your favorite..............

I at one time placed the wrong RAM stick on a Board and blew out the sound on a e-Machine 533 Mhz . But the rest of the board functioned.

I have many others (will post them later) do you have any Geek Nightmares?

Ps: they don't have to be PC related. :smokin

PM5K
06-26-2008, 01:24 AM
One time I got two hard drives mixed up and accidentally formatted the wrong one....

One time I put a stick up RAM up Mouses ass and he started talking like C3PO

PixelPusher
06-26-2008, 02:00 AM

I at one time placed the wrong RAM stick on a Board and blew out the sound on a e-Machine 533 Mhz . But the rest of the board functioned.

I many others I suppose, do you have any Geek Nightmares?

e-Machines are nightmares in and of themselves.

Mine was my first built-from-scratch desktop with a BioStar motherboard. I'm not sure if it was the crappy electrical wiring in my house or the cheapo MoBo itself, but toast city. Mobo, processor (AMD) and video card all fried. At least the HD still worked.

Lesson learned; now I always use an APC battery backup to power my desktops.

Lance
06-26-2008, 02:38 PM
I downloaded XP pro and all the drivers then I saw my date and time was set for 2002 so i set it for 2007 and my XP 30 day grace period ran out I had to start over. :lol

Sense
06-26-2008, 04:18 PM
I once dropped some milk from my cookies and milk meal on my keyboard.

pawe
06-27-2008, 12:19 AM
Y2K! I was having diarrhea for 2 days straight before new year's eve of '99

WildcardManu
06-28-2008, 12:14 AM
I downloaded XP pro and all the drivers then I saw my date and time was set for 2002 so i set it for 2007 and my XP 30 day grace period ran out I had to start over. :lol

omg, i feel ya on that one, done it before

kukjavel
06-28-2008, 08:29 AM
Geek Nightmares

I once had a nightmare where La Lechusa flew into my bedroom and sat at my computer, hacked my password and messed with all of my MP3 tags and I couldn't move or do anything . . .

But really, I needed more space on my old modded XBOX and while installing the software on a brand new 250G hard drive the computer froze before it finished and bricked my HD. I couldn't unlock it for some reason so now I have a really expensive paperweight.

mouse
06-28-2008, 01:12 PM
omg, i feel ya on that one, done it before

^ :lmao

The sad part is your only getting 25-40 dollars for 12 hours worth of work! The Kids at Sonic make more money.

I once tried to put a D610 notebook back together after someone soldered the DC jack and after 8 hours it didn't boot up.............oh wait, that nightmare hasn't happened DannyT is bringing the board tonight, :depressed

mouse
06-28-2008, 01:16 PM
I once had a nightmare where La Lechusa flew into my bedroom and sat at my computer, hacked my password and messed with all of my MP3 tags and I couldn't move or do anything . . .

But really, I needed more space on my old modded XBOX and while installing the software on a brand new 250G hard drive the computer froze before it finished and bricked my HD. I couldn't unlock it for some reason so now I have a really expensive paperweight.

Have you tried to put one of these on the HD to transfer the data?

http://thedeathbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/sata_usb.jpg

Anti.Hero
06-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Tried building my first PC 2 years ago. I wanted it for gaming so I went all out.

Started putting it together and it would not stay on long enough to post. Fucked around with it for awhile until I RMA'd my motherboard. Got replacement motherboard, same problem. Took it to PC repair shop and they said my mobo and CPU were both dead. Sent in 2nd mobo for a replacement of another brand, RMA'd CPU, all through newegg.

Get all the parts back a week later and I am so close but I left a cable touching my HDD and it fried my HDD (pop, smoke, etc). Bought replacement shitty HDD at Altec and took it to same PC repair shop to have them put it together.

Cost me about $200+ for RMA shipping/repair shop to get the SOB working.

Lessons learned:

When getting into something knew, don't go directly to high-end until you gain experience.

You can't keep throwing money at a problem, you gotta figure out what is really going on and attack that.

mouse
06-28-2008, 02:12 PM
That sounds like you left out many days you was upset and frustrated. The good news is now your have experience.
Your lucky yo was able to send back the boards for replacements.

Was that PC shop fair or did they try to bend you over?

kukjavel
06-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Have you tried to put one of these on the HD to transfer the data?

No I haven't but I'l look into it if I decide to work with it again. I'd rather spend some cash on that instead of losing out on the HD again :bang

lefty
06-28-2008, 07:07 PM
I still remember that one:

I thought my PC got a mean virus when I saw that the Spurs repeated on ESPN.com

Steve Perry
06-29-2008, 12:17 AM
No I haven't but I'l look into it if I decide to work with it again. I'd rather spend some cash on that instead of losing out on the HD again :bang

Go to altex and buy a 25.00 dollar USB HD adapter transfer all your stuff to the new drive. After you are done i will but the adapter from you.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/cooldrives/ide-hard-drive-adapter-usb2.jpg

Avitus1
06-29-2008, 01:39 AM
I lost all my digital photos on a harddrive that got zapped... it was awful.

mouse
06-29-2008, 02:24 AM
I lost all my digital photos on a harddrive that got zapped... it was awful.

Download this , and get them back.....

http://www.filehippo.com/download_recuva/download/5dfa46577939a3bf23767019d70491df/

J.T.
06-29-2008, 01:19 PM
I would assume the worst geek nightmare is the Internet stopping or all of their video games disc/cartridges getting erased.

Or in Shagia's case, he opens his comics and all the pages are blank.

SAtown
07-03-2008, 07:41 PM
http://i26.tinypic.com/hsjlvb.png

Avitus1
07-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Download this , and get them back.....

http://www.filehippo.com/download_recuva/download/5dfa46577939a3bf23767019d70491df/

Thanks, sadly this was like 8 years ago so that PC is long gone.

CrazyOne
07-04-2008, 03:48 PM
The first time I tried to build from scratch was back around 1991 or so... I upgraded my 286 to a 386. All over the box were warnings about making sure you set the voltage selector on the power supply to the right voltage - 110 or 220. Guess what I didn't do? As soon as I powered it up I heard the pop, fry and then the smoke.

mouse
07-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Thanks, sadly this was like 8 years ago so that PC is long gone.

Then get one of these

http://img.infotropic.com/w/w060529_2.jpg

Make sure the Flux Capacitor is fluxing.

http://ivo.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/fluxcapacitor2.jpg

set a date for 2001.

http://missinformationfreeadvice.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/docbrownb61406.jpg

stretch
07-08-2008, 09:50 AM
One time I put a stick up RAM up Mouses ass and he started talking like C3PO

:lmao

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-08-2008, 10:30 AM
My 360 redringed, then I tried to turn it on again and it showed the lights that meant it's plugged in incorrectly so I was relieved, then I re-plugged everything in, but then red ring showed up again. I got pissed and threw my drumsticks from my Rock Band drumset to the TV, and chipped them.

CubanMustGo
07-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Not so much a nightmare but back in the dark ages when I did PC support I got a call from someone whose desktop quit working ... went to check it out, everything looked OK on the outside but nothing happened when you flipped the switch. Opened the box up and there was a dead mouse in there, it had shorted out the motherboard.

Ironically the mouse was wedged between the box and ... the mouse adapter card.

TDMVPDPOY
07-08-2008, 11:13 AM
you guys still remember them platform consoles, where you had to blow the cartridges or beat the console to get the game up and running......

baseline bum
07-08-2008, 12:02 PM

I have many others (will post them later) do you have any Geek Nightmares?

Ps: they don't have to be PC related. :smokin

Don't feel bad. Back in '01 or so I built a system with a retail-box AthlonXP and fried that shit. It came with an instruction manual with absolutely no written steps; all it had was photos. In every photo there was a picture of the Athlon XP's heatsink with a thin strip of thermal tape where it is supposed to interface to the CPU. I took that to mean the little putty thing on the bottom of the heatsink should be removed and replaced with thermal tape (I figured the putty was there just to keep people from scratching up the bottom of the heatsink in the area it made contact with the CPU's die). So, I did like the instruction manual showed, and put a piece of nice thermal tape on it, attached the heatsink, turned on the power, and never got so much as a POST. As anyone who had a pre-Thoroughbred AthlonXP knows, they get hot as shit fast, and thermal tape wasn't going to cut it. I called AMD up and complained about their instruction manual showing thermal tape as a viable interface between the die and heatsink, and got a replacement from them 2 days later.

TDMVPDPOY
07-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Don't feel bad. Back in '01 or so I built a system with a retail-box AthlonXP and fried that shit. It came with an instruction manual with absolutely no written steps; all it had was photos. In every photo there was a picture of the Athlon XP's heatsink with a thin strip of thermal tape where it is supposed to interface to the CPU. I took that to mean the little putty thing on the bottom of the heatsink should be removed and replaced with thermal tape (I figured the putty was there just to keep people from scratching up the bottom of the heatsink in the area it made contact with the CPU's die). So, I did like the instruction manual showed, and put a piece of nice thermal tape on it, attached the heatsink, turned on the power, and never got so much as a POST. As anyone who had a pre-Thoroughbred AthlonXP knows, they get hot as shit fast, and thermal tape wasn't going to cut it. I called AMD up and complained about their instruction manual showing thermal tape as a viable interface between the die and heatsink, and got a replacement from them 2 days later.

Man those throughbed A's are the best overclockers, cause the multipliers were unlocked compared to the later series PALOMIOS...whatever its called,
Yeh they never show the instructions how to setup the correct jumpers for the cpu, which is where you have to read the motherboard manual which has the information you are lookin for compared to the manual that comes with the CPU.

bobbybob0
07-08-2008, 05:30 PM
High geekiness:

After installing a fresh Debian at work and trying for one week to hack our IT's protection to update the damn Linux and configure everything I crashed it with one single command line trying to write a boot image to a CF.

The HDD was /dev/sda, the CF was /dev/sdb, now I had a my HDD with the layout of a 128MB CF image :/

I kicked the PC in rage... but the chassis was open so I broke the RAM and its slots... :pctoss

Slydragon
07-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Go to altex and buy a 25.00 dollar USB HD adapter transfer all your stuff to the new drive. After you are done i will but the adapter from you.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/cooldrives/ide-hard-drive-adapter-usb2.jpg

I need one of those but only for a night. In my Geek nightmare I had a 250 external hd and it was fats I saw that is you change it to ntfs it would be better, so I did it and then my Xbox and ps3 no longer saw the HD. I was piss and could not change it back to FATS my pc would not do it and I ended up getting piss and for some reason took it apart.

It would not power up after that. I kept the HD it's a 250 gb Sata one I believe. I have a laptop and my daughters pc is a 2 year old E machines that does not use sata hd.

I want to wipe it clean because all my photos and I think music is on it. I had it all back up 3 fold so I did not lose any of it, But don't want to give it up knowing all my photos and stuff are still on there. Hell I would trade it for some ram for my daughters pc because that thing is slow it has like 512 ram.

mouse
07-08-2008, 10:55 PM
High geekiness:

After installing a fresh Debian at work and trying for one week to hack our IT's protection to update the damn Linux and configure everything I crashed it with one single command line trying to write a boot image to a CF.

The HDD was /dev/sda, the CF was /dev/sdb, now I had a my HDD with the layout of a 128MB CF image :/

I kicked the PC in rage... but the chassis was open so I broke the RAM and its slots... :pctoss

That would be cool if you had a video of it. :tu

mouse
07-08-2008, 10:57 PM
I need one of those but only for a night. In my Geek nightmare I had a 250 external hd and it was fats I saw that is you change it to ntfs it would be better, so I did it and then my Xbox and ps3 no longer saw the HD. I was piss and could not change it back to FATS my pc would not do it and I ended up getting piss and for some reason took it apart.

It would not power up after that. I kept the HD it's a 250 gb Sata one I believe. I have a laptop and my daughters pc is a 2 year old E machines that does not use sata hd.

I want to wipe it clean because all my photos and I think music is on it. I had it all back up 3 fold so I did not lose any of it, But don't want to give it up knowing all my photos and stuff are still on there. Hell I would trade it for some ram for my daughters pc because that thing is slow it has like 512 ram.

Dude it's only 25.oo dollars, you can get that back recovering someones else's data! :smokin

Banjo Boy
07-08-2008, 11:19 PM

This story made me not want to post mine anymore. :wow

mouse
07-13-2008, 05:08 AM
This story starts with the phone ringing Friday.............

A man calls me from a computer tech support company says he had my number from a while back when I was looking for work I guess. It's hard to say how he got it since I would always tell people I would meet on the phone or in person if they have a PC issue to call me.

So the answering machine has him saying he has a Job for me. Since I have a tab with crazyone,DannyT,BigZax and Joe Chalupa? I can't afford to turn down work.

The vato tells me this woman can't get her Netgear to work. So I figure it's a 10 minute job. I didn't want to tell him I only have one car and my girlfriend has it at work, who wants to start off their first day on the job telling the boss they have no transportation?

So I called him back and told him I was having the breaks worked on and the car will be ready by 3 pm (the time Kim gets off work) he said no problem and gave me the directions.

So I went to this lady's house who lives by the Blue Star art galleries. (By the way I wish I knew that 2 hours prior) and she lives in some sort of condominium right across the railroad tracks 50 feet from an open lot and 100 feet from some Mexican Cantina that plays loud music all night. Wow! how did she get such a bargain? I guess some rich white people figure the blue star art gallery area was going to boom into some sort of coconut grove like in south Miami. :lmao

Anyway as i make it to her back den past all the art she bought (most of it crap that i could have done in under an hour) and as her small dog who likes to hump my leg I saw her notebook. it was a DELL 9300 have you seen the screens on them?

It's hard to tell from this pic how big the notebook is but if you look at the keyboards you will see how the average notebook can fit inside it.

http://dell.merlion.ru/data/products/mobilesys/inspiron-notebooks/dell-inspiron-9300/dell-inspiron-9300_v1.jpg

My boss wanted a wide screen so i got him a 6000 off ebay if he was to see this one he would not want it anymore.

Anyway I saw that her notebook was real slow and it needed to be flushed, so I told her she will be here all day trying to install the netgear software. She had every browser jacker in the book. why do people still use IE? But at the same time this is my first day on the job and if i can't get someones wireless to work I don't think i will get anymore jobs from this vato. I also told her I am not sure what the man who sent me is going to charge her. She said he is charging her 75.00 dollars pus 45.00 dollars an hour.

That is when my dumb ass listened to the that angel that sits on your shoulder "Do the right thing mouse!" And I told her to let me pull off her data and put another version of XP on her laptop. After all I was there an hour listening to her stories about he life and she still didn't have any www access. she was already 120.00 dollars in the hole.

So I told her to let me have her notebook and tell the man who sent me I only took 30 minutes to get her on line.

So I took her notebook home saved her 1,600 photos and installed XP media center since I couldn't find a DELL restore disc with home edition. And then the nightmare began..........brb, I have to go make coffee and take Sophie for a walk........

duncan228
07-13-2008, 12:49 PM
And then the nightmare began..........brb, I have to go make coffee and take Sophie for a walk........

That's some long walk. :lol

You left us hanging. Are you going to finish the nightmare?

Luke Skywalker
07-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Star wars prequels

oops too late

mouse
07-14-2008, 05:12 PM
That's some long walk. :lol

You left us hanging. Are you going to finish the nightmare?

Sorry I got caught up using another screen name.:wakeup

TDMVPDPOY
07-14-2008, 05:50 PM
mouse did you end up giving her the stick for her troubles??

you know them art chicks are crazieeee

Rack The Trolls!
07-14-2008, 10:37 PM
This lady is funny and cool I hope she comes to a GTG her husband writes plays and works for the san antonio play house and is a drama coach. These people spend at least 1,200..00 a month on what they think is art. I am going to buy me a welding kit and make some art asap.............

TDMVPDPOY
07-16-2008, 09:34 AM
dude i was playin games b4, and bam....comp pulled a runner on me

it turns on and shuts down in 3 secs, without even getting to see anything appear on the screen....

im not sure whether its a psu thing cause it was a loud bang,

didnt smell any smoke coming out of the tower,

might have to get psu replace

Steve Perry
07-17-2008, 10:17 PM
dude i was playin games b4, and bam....comp pulled a runner on me

it turns on and shuts down in 3 secs, without even getting to see anything appear on the screen....

im not sure whether its a psu thing cause it was a loud bang,

didnt smell any smoke coming out of the tower,

might have to get psu replace

Any updates?

TDMVPDPOY
07-18-2008, 01:55 AM
more like blown mobo i think

mouse
07-20-2008, 02:17 AM
I have a Toshiba Satellite I am 5 minutes away from urinating on if this mini PCI card doesn't respond!