PDA

View Full Version : Mavericks Trying To Get Diop Back To Dallas?

crc21209
06-26-2008, 03:46 AM
Jun 26, 2008 2:56 AM EST

The Dallas Mavericks are planning on offer their full mid-level exception to Nets free agent DeSagana Diop, the Dallas Morning News is reporting.

Diop was with the Mavs for the last three seasons before being shipped out to New Jersey in the Jason Kidd trade.

Teams cannot negotiate with free agents until July 1, and contracts cannot be signed until July 8.

Via Dallas Morning News

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53193/20080626/mavericks_trying_to_get_diop_back_to_dallas/

stretch
06-26-2008, 07:57 AM
very nice, but the full MLE?

anyways, i definitely would like to have Diop back. we really missed having a backup defensive presence. every time Damp would go out, teams were able to slice through our defense with ease.

monosylab1k
06-26-2008, 08:10 AM
I was drinking coffee when I read this thread, and quite literally did a spit-take when I saw that they were offering the full MLE. Please don't let that be true.

This franchise is run by morons.

mbass
06-26-2008, 08:24 AM

anyways, i definitely would like to have Diop back. we really missed having a backup defensive presence. every time Damp would go out, teams were able to slice through our defense with ease.

Diop is living in Dallas and is working out at the Cooper aerobics center. I fully expect him to be a Maverick this fall.

Kindergarten Cop
06-26-2008, 09:29 AM

I was hoping that he was on the Spurs short list of FAs this offseason, but I was thinking more in the lines of $2-2.5M/yr max. I find it hard to believe that any team, even one with sentimental ties like Dallas, would offer him that type of money.

MavDynasty
06-26-2008, 09:31 AM
There goes our plans for any one else if they're offering the full MLE...

loveforthegame
06-26-2008, 10:17 AM
The entire MLE is way too much for Diop but that's what it will probably take for Dallas to get him back. I don't think Cuban and company can talk him into taking less after trading him to NJ.

stretch
06-26-2008, 10:23 AM
i am actually quite eager to see what he could do for us with a different coach. its obvious when you look back, that avery messed with his psyche a lot by never being consistent with using him, and the ways he used him. he showed early last year that he worked a lot on being more aggressive offensively.

im just eager period to see what a coaching change will do for this team. so far, everyone seems in their interviews like they are quite happy with the change. this coming season will really show whether it was the players being lazy, or avery that was the issue with this team. i believe its the latter.

monosylab1k
06-26-2008, 10:28 AM
I love Diop and want him back, but giving him the full MLE is just stupid.

stretch
06-26-2008, 10:37 AM
I love Diop and want him back, but giving him the full MLE is just stupid.

i couldnt agree more

A.H 21-50
06-26-2008, 10:53 AM
a full Mle for diop is unbelivable
he's not bad but really he didn't worth more than 2 millions

Kindergarten Cop
06-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Cuban obviously has deep pockets, but does he really believe that Diop is worth shelling out nearly $12M/year for?

stretch
06-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Cuban obviously has deep pockets, but does he really believe that Diop is worth shelling out nearly $12M/year for?

you obviously are a noob, but are you really this fucking retarded to think that Diop would be getting nearly $12M a year? are you also so retarded to think a MLE will get you that much? thats more than Terry makes.

MavDynasty
06-26-2008, 11:07 AM
MLE is 5.3m i think...not 12m lol

Kindergarten Cop
06-26-2008, 11:12 AM
you obviously are a noob, but are you really this fucking retarded to think that Diop would be getting nearly $12M a year? are you also so retarded to think a MLE will get you that much? thats more than Terry makes.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao

Obviously you don't know how this works.

I didn't say anything about Diop "getting $12M/year" or the MLE being that high. I asked if Cuban thought that Diop would be worth shellling out $12M/year for. If you know anything about the Mavs' salary cap situation, you are aware that they are WELL over the Luxury Tax threshold with only 9 players under contract. That means that whatever contract they sign or take on, Cuban will have to pay a dollar-for-dollar tax to the league. The MLE will likely be around $5.8M this season, so that means that Cuban will have to pay nearly $12M for Diop if he uses the full MLE on him.

MavDynasty
06-26-2008, 11:15 AM

I didn't say anything about Diop "getting $12M/year" or the MLE being that high. I asked if Cuban thought that Diop would be worth shellling out $12M/year for. If you know anything about the Mavs' salary cap situation, you are aware that they are WELL over the Luxury Tax threshold with only 9 players under contract. That means that whatever contract they sign or take on, Cuban will have to pay a dollar-for-dollar tax to the league. The MLE will likely be around $5.8M this season, so that means that Cuban will have to pay nearly $12M for Diop if he uses the full MLE on him.

damn.

stretch
06-26-2008, 11:18 AM

:lmao

i suppose not

im aware of all that. but judging by your post history i didnt think logic was one of your strong points so i figured you were really so retarded to think that an MLE would get a player $12M. apparently you are smarter than i figured. congrats to you :toast

Man, I bet you feel pretty damn stupid now.:rollin

yes very stupid :rolleyes

:jack

Kindergarten Cop
06-26-2008, 11:23 AM
im aware of all that. but judging by your post history i didnt think logic was one of your strong points so i figured you were really so retarded to think that an MLE would get a player $12M. apparently you are smarter than i figured. congrats to you :toast

My post history? Not knowing what "KFC" meant? And I'm the retarded one. Maybe you should check your own knowledge before criticizing that of others.

stretch
06-26-2008, 11:24 AM
My post history? Not knowing what "KFC" meant? And I'm the retarded one. Maybe you should check your own knowledge before criticizing that of others.

lol fast food gangs

:wow

MavDynasty
06-26-2008, 11:24 AM
lol fast food gangs

lol raiders

stretch
06-26-2008, 11:26 AM
lol raiders

lol findawg

Kindergarten Cop
06-26-2008, 11:26 AM
lol fast food gangs

What do you expect when someone keeps responding with "KFC" or "KFC motherfucker"? This and I'm the one that has MY post history in question?:wow

stretch
06-26-2008, 11:28 AM
What do you expect when someone keeps responding with "KFC" or "KFC motherfucker"?

a better response than calling someone a bully and part of a fast food gang whatever the fuck that is

This and I'm the one that has MY post history in question?

yes

Kindergarten Cop
06-26-2008, 11:33 AM
a better response than calling someone a bully and part of a fast food gang whatever the fuck that is

You were using bully tactics, which obviously were ineffective, with the "gtfo" or "KFC motherfucker" when I was seeking a simple answer - so what I said was accurate. Anyways, you have serious issues that I'll let you deal with on your own. I respect most Mavs' fans and enjoy talking basketball, but posters like you give your team a bad name.

MavDynasty
06-26-2008, 11:34 AM

yes

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Findog
06-26-2008, 11:40 AM
"According to an NBA source..." the Mavs want to give Diop the full MLE. This NBA source might be his agent trying to fake out other teams for his services or get the Mavs to up their offer. I'd give him half of the MLE.

monosylab1k
06-26-2008, 11:44 AM
"According to an NBA source..." the Mavs want to give Diop the full MLE. This NBA source might be his agent trying to fake out other teams for his services or get the Mavs to up their offer. I'd give him half of the MLE.

I approve of the "half to Diop, half to CJ Miles" strategy that many in Mavs-fandom are hoping for.

If they give the full MLE to Diop I'm going to buy the rights to firedonnie.com

Findog
06-26-2008, 11:44 AM
It's too bad Posey will likely resign with Boston, that's a guy Dallas should be offering their entire MLE towards.

Findog
06-26-2008, 11:45 AM
I approve of the "half to Diop, half to CJ Miles" strategy that many in Mavs-fandom are hoping for.

If they give the full MLE to Diop I'm going to buy the rights to firedonnie.com

That would be fine with me as well, along with resigning Antoine Wright and trading Josh for Michael Redd.

stretch
06-26-2008, 11:45 AM
You were using bully tactics, which obviously were ineffective, with the "gtfo" or "KFC motherfucker" when I was seeking a simple answer - so what I said was accurate. Anyways, you have serious issues that I'll let you deal with on your own. I respect most Mavs' fans and enjoy talking basketball, but posters like you give your team a bad name.

great

:sleep

baseline bum
06-26-2008, 11:46 AM
You gotta overpay for bigmen.

stretch
06-26-2008, 11:46 AM
It's too bad Posey will likely resign with Boston, that's a guy Dallas should be offering their entire MLE towards.

i was pissed last year when they didnt get him.

clambake
06-26-2008, 11:47 AM
That would be fine with me as well, along with resigning Antoine Wright and trading Josh for Michael Redd.

i just can't see them trading josh.

monosylab1k
06-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Seriously, Donnie better not fuck up badly for another offseason. He should have been out the door with Avery but this better be his last chance. Giving Diop the full MLE and keeping Josh isn't a good start.

Findog
06-26-2008, 11:49 AM
I guess if you're the Mavericks, these are your assets to trade:

- $ 3 million if you want to move up and buy a late twenties pick

- Brandon Bass

- Josh Howard

- the full MLE

- Jerry Stackhouse's cap-friendly contract

- Jason Kidd's expiring contract if you decide to give up on him and go a different direction

- Devean George's Bird Rights to match salary in a s'n't.

Honestly, the Mavs shouldn't worry too much about "tweaking" the next couple of years. They should keep Dirk and then do everything in their power to create cap space to make a run at Durant. I don't think he will resign with OKC, and he could be to Dirk what Duncan was to Robinson. I think strategically the Mavs should be thinking about 2010 and Durant.

Kindergarten Cop
06-26-2008, 11:49 AM

I think Josh's trade value took a significant hit due to his remarks regarding his drug use. Not only that, but Dallas would have to throw in a lot more to make the deal work.

monosylab1k
06-26-2008, 11:50 AM

they've already got the story spun too - reports are that teams are lowballing the Mavs in any trade involving Josh. I call horse shit, this is their excuse for keeping him. "We couldn't trade him cuz nobody would give us a fair trade :cry"

Findog
06-26-2008, 11:50 AM

It's a bear market for Josh right now, so they might not. I would rather keep him than trade him for far below his value.

Findog
06-26-2008, 11:51 AM
I think Josh's trade value took a significant hit due to his remarks regarding his drug use. Not only that, but Dallas would have to throw in a lot more to make the deal work.

Stack has only $9 million in guaranteed money coming to him, but his cap figure for this season is $7 million, so that would be a huge chunk towards matching salary. Maybe we can get Bobby Simmons or Desmond Mason at the same time to pair with Antoine Wright for a platoon situation at SF. The Mavs desperately need size and scoring at the 2-spot, and Redd would be a perfect fit. Howard is a swingman that thinks he's a shooter, and a lot of the hustling, intangible little things that he used to do can be done by Wright and Mason.

monosylab1k
06-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Honestly, the Mavs shouldn't worry too much about "tweaking" the next couple of years. They should keep Dirk and then do everything in their power to create cap space to make a run at Durant. I don't think he will resign with OKC, and he could be to Dirk what Duncan was to Robinson. I think strategically the Mavs should be thinking about 2010 and Durant.

:tu 100% in agreement.

I don't see it happening tho. A strategy like that would require intelligence, something our GM has none of.

Kindergarten Cop
06-26-2008, 11:55 AM
Stack has only $9 million in guaranteed money coming to him, but his cap figure for this season is $7 million, so that would be a huge chunk towards matching salary. Maybe we can get Bobby Simmons or Desmond Mason at the same time to pair with Antoine Wright for a platoon situation at SF. The Mavs desperately need size and scoring at the 2-spot, and Redd would be a perfect fit. Howard is a swingman that thinks he's a shooter, and a lot of the hustling, intangible little things that he used to do can be done by Wright and Mason.

I think if this trade would have been presented last season, the Bucks may consider it - but I don't see why they would do it now. I have to believe that they could get more for Redd if they chose to trade him, but I could be wrong. I would have thought Memphis could have gotten much, much more for Gasol.

Findog
06-26-2008, 11:57 AM
:tu 100% in agreement.

I don't see it happening tho. A strategy like that would require intelligence, something our GM has none of.

And the MLE in the meantime is something that should go to finding another Brandon Bass: young, athletic guys buried around the league that can play but just need an opportunity. Of course Bass wasn't going to get a lot of minutes behind David West in New Orleans.

In a very short space of time, this team was transformed from a young, athletic core with lots of playoff experience to an older and decrepit one. They need to stockpile young bodies.

stretch
06-26-2008, 11:59 AM

I would love Mason and his hustle/athleticism/defense to go along with Kidd.

Findog
06-26-2008, 12:00 PM
I would have thought Memphis could have gotten much, much more for Gasol.

They gave him away because the owner is trying to sell the team and he wanted to reduce the payroll as much as possible

Kindergarten Cop
06-26-2008, 12:04 PM
They gave him away because the owner is trying to sell the team and he wanted to reduce the payroll as much as possible

Add that to a President of Basketball Operations that has significant ties to the trading partner.:(

Findog
06-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Add that to a President of Basketball Operations that has significant ties to the trading partner.:(

Yeah, the whole thing was total crap. They got a good player for nothing. Of course, too bad for them that Gasol is a complete ninny and folds at the slightest bit of applied pressure.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-26-2008, 12:11 PM
ninny
:lol

MavDynasty
06-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Donnie and the FO have to realize Dirk doesnt have too many years left so they better stop fucking around. i dont want Dirk to be like malone and having to ride another teams nuts to get a ring.

SenorSpur
06-26-2008, 12:25 PM
The Mavs had only one chip to play this offseason and they blow it on Diop? Brilliant!

MavDynasty
06-26-2008, 12:29 PM
The Mavs had only one chip to play this offseason and they blow it on Diop? Brilliant!

and theres the mavs FO for u.

Findog
06-26-2008, 12:38 PM
This is just some anonymous dude talking to a newspaper. Not very concrete.

greensborohill
06-26-2008, 12:56 PM
The dude that gave up Barry Bonds 756 homerun is apparently connected as far as Mavericks BBall goes. . . . he said his source has confirmed that Diop will not get the entire MLE.

bostonguy
06-26-2008, 02:59 PM
Land Diop for half the MLE if possible. The Mavs need to get Dirk help. He is too fucking a great a talent to watch his prime years get pissed away like this.

stretch
06-26-2008, 03:32 PM
You are obviously a noob, and stupid I might add. You should apologize, and go hide your head in a sand box:blah

:flypig

Red Hawk #21
06-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Land Diop for half the MLE if possible. The Mavs need to get Dirk help. He is too fucking a great a talent to watch his prime years get pissed away like this.

I definetely agree, he deserves a ring. Mavs management better step up and help this guy and if they don't Dirk better be wise enough to ask for a trade before he starts declining.