PDA

View Full Version : Long road trip question?

rr2418
02-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Before the SBC was built, did the Spurs still have a road trip during the rodeo? I just can't remember!!

Jimcs50
02-01-2005, 11:32 AM
no, this was only implemented when they moved to SBC.

FromWayDowntown
02-01-2005, 11:34 AM
Since the Spurs didn't play at the rodeo's location (then, the Freeman Coliseum), there was no need for a long trip to give the rodeo room. Now, since the Spurs share a venue with the rodeo, it has to be one or the other.

rr2418
02-01-2005, 11:43 AM
I guess in hindsight the Spurs should've thought about this, or maybe they did, but iI guess the long RT doesn't bother the Spurs.

boutons
02-01-2005, 11:58 AM
this year's RRT is actually 3 separate road trips, with returns to SA in between, not 17-days straight in hotels, like the 03 RRT was.

spurster
02-01-2005, 02:40 PM
I guess in hindsight the Spurs should've thought about this, or maybe they did, but iI guess the long RT doesn't bother the Spurs.
This was a big selling point on the vote for the Spurs Arena, that it would also be used to host the rodeo.

GoSpurs21
02-01-2005, 03:05 PM
since the pitiful city government of San Antonio didnt want to pony up the money to keep the Spurs in SA, the wise government of Bexar County decided to build a new arena to house the Spurs and the Rodeo. Since the rodeo was held at the Freedman grounds it was determined this would be the best place to build the new stadium.

before that there was no conflict between Spurs and Rodeo

CosmicCowboy
02-01-2005, 05:08 PM
There were a couple of things that made San Antonio's unique Spurs/Rodeo partnership work...Rodeo was locked into this time frame because of the PRCA circuit dates but the same time period also coincided with the all star break so they knew from the start that it would never be a continuous 25 day road trip...Spurs got the blessing from the NBA for the annual
February road trip schedule before negotiations ever even got serious...