PDA

View Full Version : "Predator" settlement?

clambake
06-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Settlement in NY lawsuit over NBC's 'Predator'
10 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) — NBC Universal has settled a $105 million lawsuit brought by a woman who claimed a televised sex sting by "Dateline NBC: To Catch A Predator" drove her brother to kill himself.

"The matter has been amicably resolved to the satisfaction of both parties," said a statement released by both sides. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Patricia Conradt's lawsuit had claimed her brother, a suburban Dallas prosecutor, fatally shot himself after he was accused of engaging in a sexually explicit online chat with an adult posing as a 13-year-old boy.

The lawsuit claimed NBC "steamrolled" authorities to arrest Louis William Conradt Jr. after telling police he failed to show up at a sting operation 35 miles away.

NBC was working with the activist group Perverted Justice on the sting, in which people impersonating children established online chats with men and tried to lure them to a house, where they were met by TV cameras and police.

In February, a federal judge issued a scathing ruling in the case, saying a jury might conclude the network "crossed the line from responsible journalism to irresponsible and reckless intrusion into law enforcement."

U.S. District Judge Denny Chin said the lawsuit contained sufficient facts to make it plausible that the suicide was foreseeable, that police had a duty to protect Conradt from killing himself and that the officers and NBC acted with deliberate indifference.

New episodes of "To Catch A Predator" ended in December, with the future of the series uncertain.

"Right now we are working on other investigative stories focusing on national security and the economy," NBC spokeswoman Jenny Tartikoff said Wednesday in an e-mail. "If we do more, we want to make sure we are complementing past investigations not just repeating them."
Hosted by Copyright © 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Nbadan
06-26-2008, 10:55 AM
you child molester....how dare you cross NBC

:rolleyes

ChumpDumper
06-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Dude broke the law and couldn't live with getting caught.

Good riddance.

Nbadan
06-26-2008, 11:06 AM
Yes, never mind the accusations against Perverted Justice of changing the age of victims in mid chat to entrap some of these men.....

ChumpDumper
06-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Did they do that in this case?

You act as if sexual predators don't exist.

Nbadan
06-26-2008, 11:12 AM
Who knows....they have a horrible record of only releasing parts of their chat records...obviously NBC thought that the Conradt's had a case or they never would have settled....

2centsworth
06-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Yes, never mind the accusations against Perverted Justice of changing the age of victims in mid chat to entrap some of these men.....

if you're sick enough to continue after the victim admits to being underage no matter what the circumstance, and then you need some major intervention and I have zero tolerance for that type of person. Hopefully they can rehabilitate, but not without suffering the consequences. If you're a dirt bag and want to cop out by killing yourself, so beit.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Who knowsNot you.
they have a horrible record of only releasing parts of their chat recordsReleasing to whom? You?
obviously NBC thought that the Conradt's had a case or they never would have settled.Maybe. Could have just been that the settlement amount turned out to be less than the projected cost of taking it to trial.

Obviously Conradt knew there was a case against him, so he killed himself.

2centsworth
06-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Who knows....they have a horrible record of only releasing parts of their chat records...obviously NBC thought that the Conradt's had a case or they never would have settled....

A settlement doesn't mean the Conradt's had a case. Sometimes it's just a payoff to make things go away and keep decisions out of the hands of an unpredictable jury and like what CHump said, save the cost of defense.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Now I certainly agree that Dateline and the police acted rather stupidly during the arrest, but I won't shed a tear for this guy. I don't know why this is a pet issue for some on this board.

clambake
06-26-2008, 11:25 AM
interesting that he "failed to show up" at the sting operation located 35 miles away.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2008, 11:33 AM
interesting that he "failed to show up" at the sting operation located 35 miles away.I'm sure plenty of folks get cold feet, but the law had already been broken.

clambake
06-26-2008, 11:41 AM
I'm sure plenty of folks get cold feet, but the law had already been broken.

i'm sure a prosecuter that commits suicide was certain of his criminal act.

BacktoBasics
06-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Non law entrapment FTW.

Don Quixote
06-27-2008, 07:37 PM
It appears Nambla-Dan is getting his legal defense ready.

So he was entrapped!

0201rinckwater
06-27-2008, 07:49 PM
So if i bang a 20 year old pretending to be a 16 year old, do i go to jail?

Wild Cobra
06-27-2008, 11:55 PM
The problem with these people setting the stings up, it they have to continue to find perverts. When they don't, they do what they can to get someone anyway. There was a case here in Portland not long ago where a business owner was arrested in such a sting, although he never followed trough after finding out the girl was supposably 13. He was found innocent. Once the transcripts came out, when the person impersonating the girl said she was 13, he said "I don't believe you, you cannot be." He didn't follow through yet they taggen dhim anyway. It took a long time to get those transcripts.

Nbadan
06-28-2008, 12:19 AM
The problem with these people setting the stings up, it they have to continue to find perverts. When they don't, they do what they can to get someone anyway. There was a case here in Portland not long ago where a business owner was arrested in such a sting, although he never followed trough after finding out the girl was supposably 13. He was found innocent. Once the transcripts came out, when the person impersonating the girl said she was 13, he said "I don't believe you, you cannot be." He didn't follow through yet they taggen dhim anyway. It took a long time to get those transcripts.

Exactly.....these stings go like this....one of these perverts from perverted justice logs on as a legal age woman and starts chatting to a lonely guy online, gets him all rilled up with sex talk...then in the midst of sexual-role play they'll log off and log back on as a under-aged teen or whatever...well many of these guys think that it's still the legal-aged woman that they were chatting to before, but now P.J. has transcripts of them making sexual innuendo to a minor - in states like Texas that all that's needed to entrap someone...the person does not have to arrange a meeting, much less show up....it's a way of censoring internet chat rooms and using the law in the process...a perversion of the law...

ChumpDumper
06-28-2008, 03:48 AM
Sorry you had that legal trouble....

Wild Cobra
06-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Sorry you had that legal trouble....

I'm not a business owner.