PDA

View Full Version : ESPN breakdown of The Cowboys

peewee's lovechild
06-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Beware of Ware: LB appears poised for big season

The Cowboys don't do quiet offseasons. Owner Jerry Jones didn't get the "wow" player he wanted to play across from Terrell Owens, but he did eventually trade for the most notorious player in the NFL, Adam "Don't call me Pacman" Jones. It was vintage Jerry Jones because the entire process kept the Cowboys in the spotlight for two months.

The talented cornerback (assuming he's fully reinstated) will replace starter Anthony Henry at some point this season, and it will happen sooner than most people think. In addition to adding Jones, the Cowboys were able to break in two first-round picks, running back Felix Jones and cornerback Mike Jenkins. But the player who will make the biggest impact on defense is linebacker DeMarcus Ware. The Cowboys believe Ware is poised to have a monster season. Ware has worked hard in the offseason to redistribute some of his weight and should be a dominating force.

What we learned in minicamp

Quarterback Tony Romo and offensive coordinator Jason Garrett have spent a lot of time working together on fundamentals. Garrett believes Romo can become an even more accurate passer. He's walked a fine line with Romo because he doesn't want to take away any of the quarterback's well-documented improvisational skills

Backup wide receiver Miles Austin may not be a "wow" player, but he did turn a few heads during recent workouts. A week after Adam Jones was lauded on "SportsCenter" for picking off a third-string quarterback twice in practice, Austin burned him for an acrobatic 45-yard touchdown pass. Austin's always had the size and athleticism, but now it looks as though he's improved his hands.

Still unresolved

The Terry Glenn saga continues. After spending the offseason talking about how Glenn could be an important piece in 2008, Jerry Jones tried to get him to sign a waiver that he wouldn't receive his full salary if he re-injured his knee. The two have reached an impasse, which tells you Jones wasn't as sure about Glenn as he earlier said.

The Cowboys are prepared to move on without Glenn, who was a nonfactor last season after missing the first 15 regular-season games. Romo is still holding out hope for Glenn because he believes Glenn's still one of the best route runners in football, but at this point, neither side is budging.

Safety Ken Hamlin did not participate in workouts because he was franchised and is still hoping to sign a lucrative extension. The Cowboys will eventually sign Hamlin to something similar to what Gibril Wilson received in Oakland (six years, $39 million). It's hard to imagine Hamlin holding out of training camp and we're told he's in excellent shape.

Starting DE Chris Canty is also hoping for a new contract, but the Cowboys aren't in a huge hurry with him. He's not the type of person who will let a contract issue affect his play and the Cowboys are well aware of that.

Injury analysis

Glenn is the only significant issue heading into training camp. Head coach Wade Phillips will go out of his way to rest veterans such as Owens and linebacker Zach Thomas, who both suffered injuries last season. Thomas' season ended early because of a concussion and T.O. wasn't effective in the divisional playoff game against the Giants because of an ankle injury.

Roy's last hurrah?

Roy Williams has become a lightning rod for Cowboys fans. Once among the most feared players in the game, Williams is now a sitting duck for tight ends looking for big gains. Phillips and defensive coordinator Brian Stewart have rushed to the safety's defense, but it's no secret that this could be his final season with the team if he doesn't show improvement.

Training camp start date: July 25

Matt Mosley covers the NFL for ESPN.com

bostonguy
06-26-2008, 07:55 PM
The Cowboys D is so deep and loaded with talent in all aspects. This D easily has the makings of a championship D. Their special teams return unit is disgusting with Pacman returning punts. Oh and their O is pretty fucking good too. They have one of the best qb's in the league and the best wideout in Owens (Yes even I say Owens>Moss).

Of course people will point to the Giants loss as a reason to write off the Cowboys or call them chokers. Giants D line was disgusting the entire playoffs. It's not like the Cowboys lost in a blowout. The Giants D line fucked up Tom Brady more than any team has ever done in his career.

Im not saying pencil the Cowboys in as locks but they have the talent to win the superbowl this year. Time will tell if that talent turns into a solid regular season and playoff wins. Their D IMO will be the biggest strength of this team. It's going to be a top 1-2 D if all those pieces mesh.

dickface
06-26-2008, 08:01 PM
I always laugh at bostonguy because he knows more about the Mavs and Cowboys than he does about the Celtics and Patriots. He also kisses the Cowboys ass way too much. I wonder why :elephant

dickface
06-26-2008, 08:02 PM
seriously, what Dallas Fan created the bostonguy troll? It's pretty damn funny.

bostonguy
06-26-2008, 08:07 PM
I always laugh at bostonguy because he knows more about the Mavs and Cowboys than he does about the Celtics and Patriots. He also kisses the Cowboys ass way too much. I wonder why :elephant

:lmao :lmao

Mono

ATRAIN
06-26-2008, 08:09 PM

Mono

Wait did mono just out his own troll?

dickface
06-26-2008, 08:28 PM

Mono

I see you're going to be a pussy about it. Very well, dallasguy.

bostonguy
06-26-2008, 08:28 PM
I see you're going to be a pussy about it. Very well.

A pussy about what?

:lmao

da_pats_fan__
06-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Wait did mono just out his own troll?

No, I didn't. Wait...

dickface
06-26-2008, 08:31 PM
A pussy about what?

:lmao

So what's your take on the Dallas defensive line? Can they get pressure on the QB?

dickface
06-26-2008, 08:32 PM
I'm pretty sure bostonguy can name more people on the Cowboys practice squad than he can Patriots defensive starters.

bostonguy
06-26-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm pretty sure bostonguy can name more people on the Cowboys practice squad than he can Patriots defensive starters.

I keep seeing the name dickface and I cant stop! My fucking stomach hurts!

:rollin:rollin:lmao

Here is hoping I am wrong Mono about our Patriots!:toast

dickface
06-26-2008, 08:46 PM
I keep seeing the name dickface and I cant stop! My fucking stomach hurts!

:rollin:rollin:lmao

Here is hoping I am wrong Mono about our Patriots!:toast

you use a troll, I use a troll, dallasguy.

O-Factor
06-26-2008, 08:51 PM
The Cowboys D is so deep and loaded with talent in all aspects. This D easily has the makings of a championship D. Their special teams return unit is disgusting with Pacman returning punts. Oh and their O is pretty fucking good too. They have one of the best qb's in the league and the best wideout in Owens (Yes even I say Owens>Moss).

Felix Jones is a kick returner too and should bolster that unit aswell. Im really liking what Im hearing about Felix. Romo made a point in an interview I saw to say how impressed he was with this guy and how Garrett is drawing up plays to get him to catch the ball out of the back field since he excels at it.

Of course people will point to the Giants loss as a reason to write off the Cowboys or call them chokers. Giants D line was disgusting the entire playoffs. It's not like the Cowboys lost in a blowout. The Giants D line fucked up Tom Brady more than any team has ever done in his career.

The Giants came around late. They beat the Cowboys, Packers and Patriots. No one choked to them.

Im not saying pencil the Cowboys in as locks but they have the talent to win the superbowl this year. Time will tell if that talent turns into a solid regular season and playoff wins. Their D IMO will be the biggest strength of this team. It's going to be a top 1-2 D if all those pieces mesh.

The biggest thing for the Cowboys is to play as a team, keep the egos in check. They will be able to blitz as much as Wade wants now since they have the corners to cover in Newman, Henry, Adam Jones, Jenkins. Everything is in place for a Superbowl run, they just have to get it done and play ball.

GaryJohnston
06-27-2008, 02:37 AM
NFC East...best division in football.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2008, 07:58 AM
No, I didn't. Wait...

:lol

peewee's lovechild
06-27-2008, 07:12 PM

Amen to that.

samikeyp
07-06-2008, 10:44 PM

:tu

I think the Cowboys can win a weak and very even NFC but I still believe that the lack of a solid #2 WR will doom them in the end.

slayermin
07-06-2008, 11:01 PM
So what's your take on the Dallas defensive line? Can they get pressure on the QB?

That's not the main role of a defensive line in the 3-4.

redskinfan
07-07-2008, 06:50 PM
?

Evan
07-07-2008, 07:03 PM
That's not the main role of a defensive line in the 3-4.

neither is the 4-3

so whats your point?

Spuradicator
07-07-2008, 07:14 PM
:tu

I think the Cowboys can win a weak and very even NFC but I still believe that the lack of a solid #2 WR will doom them in the end.

Not so sure that is a big problem when you have Jason Witten on the team.

Evan
07-07-2008, 07:42 PM

Its not, Witten is more than enough when you need the job done.

Patrick Crayton had a awful drop at the end but he is good enough. He's improving every year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6975

Spuradicator
07-07-2008, 07:44 PM
^Witten is such an asset to the Cowboys, you can get away with not having a legit #2. They did after all go 13-3 with out a legit #2 so I think they will be alright. And yes Crayton has progressed every year, even though he totally screwed up in the Giants game.

Evan
07-07-2008, 07:54 PM
When you are claiming a lack of a #2 WR will doom a team you're nit picking.

jack sommerset
07-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Has the Cowboys signed Terry Glenn yet? Thats going to happen if not already. Jones spent alot of cash and now is being cheap with Glenn. Cowboys want Glenn and need him. Its nice to hear about the Patrick Claytons of the world but Glenn is a all pro, though a bit old I think he has some left in him! Jones will sign him, he wants to sell out that new stadium and needs a Super Bowl team.

I heard they already refinanced the new stadium. Whats that all about. Its not even built yet. I think they are behind schedule because they are assking UNREAL money for tickets and seat LICENSE fees. Sorry but you are one dumb motherfucker if you spend money on a seat license fee.

samikeyp
07-07-2008, 08:42 PM

Good point but I would still feel more comfortable with a more consistent #2 WR. Then again, I am naturally a worrier. :lol

peewee's lovechild
07-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Good point but I would still feel more comfortable with a more consistent #2 WR. Then again, I am naturally a worrier. :lol

According to John Clayton's observations of the mini-camp and OTAs, Miles Austin has been making some pretty big strides. And, I expect Sam Hurd to be a much improved player this year.

We might be suprised.

O-Factor
07-07-2008, 10:04 PM
^Im looking forward to seeing one of these young(Hurd and/or Austin) step up this season. I would love for it to be Hurd and for Austin to develop as a deep threat.

Another thing, I saw an interview with Romo after an OTA and he said he's really excited about Felix Jones and his pass catching ability, and the dimension he brings to the offense. He said Garrett is working on formations with him and Barber on the field at the same time.

Spurtacus
07-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Screw Glenn. Make him walk. We're fine with T.O., Witten, Crayton, Hurd, and Austin. Hopefully Felix Jones will be that speed guy we need to catch screens on run away with it!

peewee's lovechild
07-07-2008, 10:32 PM
^Im looking forward to seeing one of these young(Hurd and/or Austin) step up this season. I would love for it to be Hurd and for Austin to develop as a deep threat.

Another thing, I saw an interview with Romo after an OTA and he said he's really excited about Felix Jones and his pass catching ability, and the dimension he brings to the offense. He said Garrett is working on formations with him and Barber on the field at the same time.

Maybe we can finally see a Pro-set offense.

I thought Garrett was going to try that last season with Jones and Barber, but I never saw it.

I guess we'll see.

Evan
07-07-2008, 10:54 PM
What is a number #2 WR?

How is that not Witten?

Or how is that not Crayton?

I would love for someone to explain that...and right now and not bump this thread in the season "when who knows whatever happens."

samikeyp
07-07-2008, 11:41 PM
According to John Clayton's observations of the mini-camp and OTAs, Miles Austin has been making some pretty big strides. And, I expect Sam Hurd to be a much improved player this year.

We might be suprised.

I hope so. I really like Hurd and anything Miles can give will be a bonus. Crayton can be inconsistent but showed flashes of brilliance last season. I tend to agree with Dynasty about Glenn. Let the dude walk. Might as well go with the young guys. I am still excited about Dallas' prospects this season. If they can take care of business after December 1,then life can be very good.

Now if we can just keep Jessica Simpson out of the building! :lmao

P-Dub....just heard from a friend of mine, there is an outside chance I could be in Texas Stadium for Thanksgiving Day! :tu

samikeyp
07-07-2008, 11:47 PM
When you are claiming a lack of a #2 WR will doom a team you're nit picking.

True but that is what the off season is for. :)

Hey, if Crayton kicks ass this season, I am all for it. I never said he couldn't do it, in fact that is what frustrates me....he has shown me the ability that he can fill that role and do it well. IMO however, he has been inconsistent. That being said, I agree with you that he has gotten better and if he continues that then they sky is the limit for him. I still am picking Dallas to win the NFC and once you're in the big game, anything is possible.
:toast

peewee's lovechild
07-08-2008, 08:17 AM
P-Dub....just heard from a friend of mine, there is an outside chance I could be in Texas Stadium for Thanksgiving Day! :tu

Bastard!!!!!

I wish I could be there for that game.

Evan
07-08-2008, 08:52 AM
True but that is what the off season is for. :)

Hah….too true...

slayermin
07-13-2008, 04:19 PM
neither is the 4-3

so whats your point?

Imo, the defensive ends in the 4-3 have a huge responsibility in the pass rush. Depending on the team they play, it is their main role.

The d-line in the 3-4 are mostly stop gaps. They will get sacks but the LB's are the one's that bring the pressure.

Evan
07-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Imo, the defensive ends in the 4-3 have a huge responsibility in the pass rush. Depending on the team they play, it is their main role.

The d-line in the 3-4 are mostly stop gaps. They will get sacks but the LB's are the one's that bring the pressure.

Fair enough...but over all a 4-3 is about balance.