PDA

View Full Version : George Hill: Good Pick

SequSpur
06-26-2008, 11:22 PM
After careful consideration, I think this is an excellent pick. The Spurs clearly had no back up point and they haven't had one since Speedy left. They addressed something they have needed for years. This dude can play. Period.

The Spurs next weakness is in the low post which they will address with Kurt Thomas and someone else to be named later. Bowen and Udoka can hold down the fort at small forward.. If JR Smith comes in and joins Ginobili in the offguard slot, the Spurs are fine.

Jacque Vaughn can leave now.. thank God.

No more slovenians, no more dope smokers, the Spurs have a backup now.

This dude can shoot, he is smart, he is a great guy and he is athletic...

Fuck... I think it's a great pick.

:flag:

Ocotillo
06-26-2008, 11:24 PM
Who are you and what have you done with Sequ?

DMX7
06-26-2008, 11:24 PM
After careful consideration, I think this is an excellent pick. The Spurs clearly had no back up point and they haven't had one since Speedy left. They addressed something they have needed for years. This dude can play. Period.

The Spurs next weakness is in the low post which they will address with Kurt Thomas and someone else to be named later. Bowen and Udoka can hold down the fort at small forward.. If JR Smith comes in and joins Ginobili in the offguard slot, the Spurs are fine.

Jacque Vaughn can leave now.. thank God.

No more slovenians, no more dope smokers, the Spurs have a backup now.

This dude can shoot, he is smart, he is a great guy and he is athletic...

Fuck... I think it's a great pick.

:flag:

Vaughn is under contract this year.

Give me reasons why he is better than Chalmers and I will give you more reasons why he's not.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2008, 11:25 PM

Give me reasons why he is better than Chalmers and I will give you more reasons why he's not.

Because you read it on the internets?

SequSpur
06-26-2008, 11:27 PM
To me, I thought Chalmers was a slight upgrade over Vaughn with the same weaknesses.

George Hill is solid.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-26-2008, 11:28 PM
Who are you and what have you done with Sequ?

:lol

Once in a blue moon.

Spurtacus
06-26-2008, 11:29 PM
Time will tell. Hopefully he can make an impact in 08/09. If not, I will be disappointed.

GSH

And you scouted Hill personally?

Share with us your basis for thinking he was better than Chalmers. Surely it's a better reason than, "Because the Spurs picked him."

SequSpur
To me, I thought Chalmers was a slight upgrade over Vaughn with the same weaknesses.

George Hill is solid.

midgetonadonkey
06-26-2008, 11:31 PM
Vaughn was also once considered the best point guard in college basketball.

objective
06-26-2008, 11:31 PM
If JR Smith comes in and joins Ginobili in the offguard slot, the Spurs are fine.

that is a ridiculously huge IF

And if JR Smith isn't signed away from Denver . . .

TheProfessor
06-26-2008, 11:32 PM
We can argue this forever. Let's see him on the court first. Pop likes him, and that works for me.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2008, 11:32 PM
And you scouted Hill personally?

Share with us your basis for thinking he was better than Chalmers. Surely it's a better reason than, "Because the Spurs picked him."

No. I don't know. It's rather premature and ridiculous at this point to condemn the Spurs about the draft.

SequSpur
06-26-2008, 11:33 PM
that is a ridiculously huge IF

And if JR Smith isn't signed away from Denver . . .

Why would JR want to stay in Denver? He has probably already notified them to sign and trade or let his ass go.

angelbelow
06-26-2008, 11:33 PM
supposedly hill really hit it off with pop

Brutalis
06-26-2008, 11:34 PM
I fucking need some meds after reading SEQU saying something good about ... something!

He must be a bust for sure then! :lol

2centsworth
06-26-2008, 11:35 PM
I was never a big Chalmers fan, but man Sequ I hope you're right about hill and I turn out to look like a damn fool. I'll take all the you're a damn fool abuse if my spurs win.

T Park
06-26-2008, 11:35 PM
supposedly hill really hit it off with pop

Thats a great first start.

If Pop connects with a guy, then he works with the player.

I really really like this pick. especially with more what I'm reading about him, hes sounding more and more like a sleeper thats a good player.

AC#21_TD ERA
06-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Vaughn was also once considered the best point guard in college basketball.

By who his parents. Who was he playing against his fellow garbage men work mates. JV is good at taking out the trash in the mornings. GEORGE HILL WHAT A PICK UP.

K-State Spur
06-26-2008, 11:40 PM

I spoke highly of Chalmers in other threads, but he still had some gaping holes in his game.

I liked him as a small ball 2 and defensive match-up against top PGs. But Chalmers hasn't played PG in 2 years and the results weren't pretty when he did. His only real collegiate success came playing OFF the ball.

2centsworth
06-26-2008, 11:43 PM
I spoke highly of Chalmers in other threads, but he still had some gaping holes in his game.

I liked him as a small ball 2 and defensive match-up against top PGs. But Chalmers hasn't played PG in 2 years and the results weren't pretty when he did. His only real collegiate success came playing OFF the ball.

he's a clutch shooter and that's about it IMO.

Russ
06-26-2008, 11:45 PM
If Hill works out, nothing else about this draft matters.

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2008, 11:47 PM
If Hill works out, nothing else about this draft matters.

True. The only way this draft was going to impact the Spurs next season was if they found a backup point in it.

T Park
06-26-2008, 11:49 PM
The more you read about Hill, he sounds like an ideal backup point guard.

Heres to hoping George works out :tu

Now onto FA where you get the shooting guard and another big.

The Truth #6
06-26-2008, 11:51 PM
I heard he excelled in the essay portion of the tryout.

Buddy Holly
06-26-2008, 11:52 PM
I think Sequ saw that he was black and athletic...

jayc23
06-26-2008, 11:55 PM
I've been playing with Hill since we were 10 years old, AAU teams, High School, Hill has played in big tourneys against big competition for a long time.. not only did he play against tough division 1 / NBA players such as Courtney Lee, Greg Oden, Connely, and many Division 1/ NBA players.. He probably faced stiffer competition in AAU and High school in Indiana than in College, he put up 36.2 PPG against the stiffest competition high school basketball had to offer, he put up big numbers in the Adidas ABCD camp against Dwight Howard, and Josh Smith, he slashes, he can shoot lights out, he can elevate above the rim.. he plays like hes 6'6 + he will have one of the largest wing spans of an NBA point guard.. he is probably one of the greatest sleepers in the Draft.. and Greg P. knew what he was getting.. and he would not have been around late second round.. the pacers were going to pick him 41 if he lasted that long.. and he had many talks and return trips to Boston, he may have went 30 to Boston if he wasn't picked up.. hes got alot more athletic ability and talent than many of you know.

K-State Spur
he's a clutch shooter and that's about it IMO.

he did hit the big shot in the title game, so there is no denying that.

however, on the flip side, that shot bailed out him out. because he had been nothing short of terrible in the biggest game of his collegiate career up until that point.

SequSpur
I heard he excelled in the essay portion of the tryout.

now that was funny............

SequSpur
06-26-2008, 11:56 PM
I've been playing with Hill since we were 10 years old, AAU teams, High School, Hill has played in big tourneys against big competition for a long time.. not only did he play against tough division 1 / NBA players such as Courtney Lee, Greg Oden, Connely, and many Division 1/ NBA players.. He probably faced stiffer competition in AAU and High school in Indiana than in College, he put up 36.2 PPG against the stiffest competition high school basketball had to offer, he put up big numbers in the Adidas ABCD camp against Dwight Howard, and Josh Smith, he slashes, he can shoot lights out, he can elevate above the rim.. he plays like hes 6'6 + he will have one of the largest wing spans of an NBA point guard.. he is probably one of the greatest sleepers in the Draft.. and Greg P. knew what he was getting.. and he would not have been around late second round.. the pacers were going to pick him 41 if he lasted that long.. and he had many talks and return trips to Boston, he may have went 30 to Boston if he wasn't picked up.. hes got alot more athletic ability and talent than many of you know.

From looking at his blog, he was confident that he was going in the first round.

Buddy Holly
06-26-2008, 11:57 PM
I like this Hill pick but not taking Hendrix and instead taking Dragic and then eventually trading him for Malik was stupid in my opinion. Hendrix seemed like a perfect fit and could have contributed immediately off the bench.

midgetonadonkey
By who his parents. Who was he playing against his fellow garbage men work mates. JV is good at taking out the trash in the mornings. GEORGE HILL WHAT A PICK UP.

He was Big 8 Player of the Year in 1996. He led the Big 8 in all time assists and is Kansas all time assist leader.

But I guess you were only 8 at the time and don't know shit about it.

But I agree he is shit now isn't worth a damn. That's why this Hill pick is good.

GSH
No. I don't know. It's rather premature and ridiculous at this point to condemn the Spurs about the draft.

You want a reason to condemn this draft? How about this one? They had a chance to pick up Arthur, who has a MUCH stronger history, and value to other teams. And it's a near certainty that nobody else was going to sneak up and grab Hill out from under them.

At the very least, they could have traded him just like they did Dragic, and STILL gotten Hill.

Is that good enough? At that point in the draft, Arthur was by far the best player available. They weren't flexible, and they weren't quick on their feet. They missed a very good opportunity with Arthur, whether it was keeping him or trading him. It was a piss-poor use of that pick.

Mr. Peabody
06-26-2008, 11:58 PM

Are you George Hill's agent...?

T Park
06-26-2008, 11:59 PM
You want a reason to condemn this draft? How about this one? They had a chance to pick up Arthur, who has a MUCH stronger history, and value to other teams. And it's a near certainty that nobody else was going to sneak up and grab Hill out from under them.

At the very least, they could have traded him just like they did Dragic, and STILL gotten Hill.

Is that good enough? At that point in the draft, Arthur was by far the best player available. They weren't flexible, and they weren't quick on their feet. They missed a very good opportunity with Arthur, whether it was keeping him or trading him. It was a piss-poor use of that pick.

Had they picked him and traded him you would've found a reason to bitch about anything.

No one is EVER happy.

Sad really.

Solid D
06-27-2008, 12:00 AM
He looks like Johnny Dawkins with a jumpshot.

SequSpur
06-27-2008, 12:02 AM
He looks like Johnny Dawkins with a jumpshot.

Great take Solid D. Thanks for your contribution.

Mr. Peabody
06-27-2008, 12:02 AM
This is a pretty good draft night blog from Hill's school. Evidently he was overflowing with emotion after the Spurs picked him.

http://www.iupuijags.com/news/2008/6/26/MBB_0626084746.aspx

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2008, 12:05 AM
On to free agency.

GSH
06-27-2008, 12:08 AM

Yes, and his numbers went way the fuck down in college. Against competition that you say was not as tough. Why would that happen?

CDR put up similar numbers to his college stats, while playing for Memphis. CDR defended against better players than Hill ever saw in college. And he IS 6'6", with a bigger wingspan. And, no, Boston wasn't going to pick him at 30 with CDR and Giddens on the board. Period. (I still think Giddens was the bargain of the draft, even if he did go higher than many people said he would.)

Solid D
06-27-2008, 12:12 AM
Great take Solid D. Thanks for your contribution.

You're welcome...and it is complimentary to say he is Johnny Dawkins with a jumpshot. Johnny was a terrific player.

SequSpur
06-27-2008, 12:12 AM
Yes, and his numbers went way the fuck down in college. Against competition that you say was not as tough. Why would that happen?

CDR put up similar numbers to his college stats, while playing for Memphis. CDR defended against better players than Hill ever saw in college. And he IS 6'6", with a bigger wingspan. And, no, Boston wasn't going to pick him at 30 with CDR and Giddens on the board. Period. (I still think Giddens was the bargain of the draft, even if he did go higher than many people said he would.)

Memphis > Kansas with George Hill.

SequSpur
06-27-2008, 12:13 AM
You're welcome...and it is complimentary to say he is Johnny Dawkins with a jumpshot. Johnny was a terrific player.

Exactly. I am glad you contributed that importance piece of information that we could use.

jayc23
06-27-2008, 12:14 AM
Hill became MUCH more unselfish in college, even on ESPN, they said Hill had a tendency in College to be overly unselfish.. which him starting to mature into a much more unselfish well rounded player than the pure shock and aw slashing and 3 point barrage that he pulled off in High School.. if Hill had went back for his senior year he likely would have dropped 30+ a year.. he made a bad decision to commit to IUPUI when he was young, and was overly talented for such a school, He also busted his ass in his pre-draft tour to prove himself he was an NBA player not just a Mid-major wannabe, you should trust the experience of the NBA scouts and front office... you will not be disappointed with Hill

SPURSGOAT
06-27-2008, 12:15 AM
I like this pick; the Spurs have needed a solid backup PG and I figured they would pick a backup PG with #26.

T Park
06-27-2008, 12:15 AM

Solid if thats what you think of him, honestly I'm even more excited :)

DMX7
06-27-2008, 12:17 AM

Actually, I was at the Final Four watching Chalmers win a National Championship while George Hill was at home after losing the Summit Conference Championship against rec league caliber players.

Mr. Peabody
06-27-2008, 12:18 AM
Hill became MUCH more unselfish in college, even on ESPN, they said Hill had a tendency in College to be overly unselfish.. which him starting to mature into a much more unselfish well rounded player than the pure shock and aw slashing and 3 point barrage that he pulled off in High School.. if Hill had went back for his senior year he likely would have dropped 30+ a year.. he made a bad decision to commit to IUPUI when he was young, and was overly talented for such a school, He also busted his ass in his pre-draft tour to prove himself he was an NBA player not just a Mid-major wannabe, you should trust the experience of the NBA scouts and front office... you will not be disappointed with Hill

Why should we do that when we can delude ourselves into thinking we know more than people who get paid to evaluate these players?

T Park
06-27-2008, 12:19 AM
Why should we do that when we can delude ourselves into thinking we know more than people who get paid to evaluate these players?

:rollin

GSH
06-27-2008, 12:19 AM
Had they picked him and traded him you would've found a reason to bitch about anything.

No one is EVER happy.

Sad really.

It's not about who they made happy or unhappy. They left clear-cut value on the board.

What if somebody like Courtney Lee or Speights had still been on the board? Would they have recognized that they could have gotten Hill PLUS other consideration by drafting one of them? Arthur was clearly a higher value player than Hill at that point. Would I have been happy if they had traded him for Hill? I don't know. But I would have understood it.

SequSpur
06-27-2008, 12:21 AM
It's not about who they made happy or unhappy. They left clear-cut value on the board.

What if somebody like Courtney Lee or Speights had still been on the board? Would they have recognized that they could have gotten Hill PLUS other consideration by drafting one of them? Arthur was clearly a higher value player than Hill at that point. Would I have been happy if they had traded him for Hill? I don't know. But I would have understood it.

Hill could've went around 15-18. That is how good he is...

GSH
06-27-2008, 12:21 AM
Memphis > Kansas with George Hill.

That has to be one of the most ridiculously stupid things you've ever said, and that's saying a lot. I needed an excuse to shut down and go to bed, and you just gave it to me.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2008, 12:23 AM

Versus HS? C'mon.

DMX7
06-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Hill could've went around 15-18. That is how good he is...

Lakers thought they would land him at #58. That's how good he is.

SequSpur
06-27-2008, 12:25 AM
Lakers thought they would land him at #58. That's how good he is.

Lakers are smart. Aren't they? Read the blog...

Harry Callahan
06-27-2008, 12:30 AM
Arthur has a kidney issue, and that's why he dropped. I'm sure Spur Nation would be happy having another player with a kidney issue, right?

T Park
06-27-2008, 12:37 AM
Arthur has a kidney issue, and that's why he dropped. I'm sure Spur Nation would be happy having another player with a kidney issue, right?

Yeah, supposedly its like the one Elliott and Mourning had.

GSH
06-27-2008, 12:38 AM
Versus HS? C'mon.

Don't blame me. The guy who claimed to have played with him said this:
He probably faced stiffer competition in AAU and High school in Indiana than in College, he put up 36.2 PPG against the stiffest competition high school basketball had to offer

So if his competition was weaker in college, his numbers should have gone up. Right?

All I said was that the 36.2 he averaged in HS doesn't mean shit. And the numbers he put up in college were against inferior competition, compared to what CDR faced at Memphis. You disagree with either of those statements?

SequSpur
06-27-2008, 12:40 AM
He probably faced stiffer competition in AAU and High school in Indiana than in College, he put up 36.2 PPG against the stiffest competition high school basketball had to offer

So if his competition was weaker in college, his numbers should have gone up. Right?

All I said was that the 36.2 he averaged in HS doesn't mean shit. And the numbers he put up in college were against inferior competition, compared to what CDR faced at Memphis. You disagree with either of those statements?

CDR is not a point guard. They didn't need CDR obviously.

Personally, I wanted CDR first. I'm still pissed about it, but Hill was a good pick. If you look at the Spurs needs, hill was a smart pick.

T Park
06-27-2008, 12:41 AM

So wow alot of scouts are totally wrong about him then.

Glad you know more about him :tu

Buddy Holly
06-27-2008, 12:42 AM
All I said was that the 36.2 he averaged in HS doesn't mean shit.

But the 27 points a game Lebron averaged in HS does?

T Park
06-27-2008, 12:43 AM

Personally, I wanted CDR first. I'm still pissed about it, but Hill was a good pick. If you look at the Spurs needs, hill was a smart pick.

CDR slid very very far, and there are reasons behind it I'm sure.

Plus shooting guard was NOT gonna be addressed this draft.

They are gonna address the shooting guard position in FA apparently.

jayc23
06-27-2008, 12:44 AM
Seriously you guys are putting so much stock in College play yet... how many freshmans were in this draft... in Indiana High school basketball in the big divisions every other team has D1 talent .. Larry Bird said a year and a half ago "If George Hill is not drafted in the first round, IUPUI will have not done him justice"... thats a quote from Larry Bird... but what do all these NBA scouts and Larry Bird know ..... "OMG OMG WE COULDA GOT CDR , a non-fundamental street player from detroit" Im sure that would translate well to the NBA.

Buddy Holly
06-27-2008, 12:44 AM

Knowing that Hill could be a legit backup for Tony I can say that not drafting CDR was not that big of a deal, even though I was first upset, however not drafting Hendrix was stupid. Hopefully he's waived by GS and the Spurs can sign him.

T Park
06-27-2008, 12:51 AM
Hendrix is another in a very long line of D League power forwards.

Big fucking deal.

Marcus Bryant
06-27-2008, 01:22 AM

I don't care what someone else had to say.

jayc23
06-27-2008, 01:31 AM
ya I claimed to have played with him.. me and George traveled to UCSB campus and went to Jordan flight school in 2000, where he first gained recognition from Jordan and was camp MVP.. George has been working towards this point for a long time and we will see who is standing in the long run, once the fanboys stop throwing fits and watch Hill succede.

outmap
06-27-2008, 01:58 AM
I really like Hill over Chalmers, problem at back-up PG has hopefully been solved. They passed-up on CDR, that means RC and Pop might be looking at the free agency all along for a wing (Smith, Pietrus, Barnes, Artest?). I hope the rumor on Camby trade was for real too.
I just didn't like the 2 other picks, they could have packaged it with Vaugn or Oberto or Bonner to move up a early in the 2nd round where there were a lot of steals.

EJK5032
06-27-2008, 02:07 AM

George Hill averaged 21 pts, 54% FG, and 45% 3FG on a team where he probably had a bunch of stiffs for teammates, where night in and night out the opponent was totally focused on trying to shut him down, and they still couldn't do it.

Chalmers played on a team where the entire starting 5 just got picked in the same NBA Draft !

DazedAndConfused
06-27-2008, 02:11 AM
Supposedly his defense is average to below average. Not great lateral quickness but he does have decent length. Offensively he is solid. As a backup PG to Parker he'd probably be a good fit.

T Park
06-27-2008, 02:17 AM
His defense will improve under the Spurs.

Everyone's does.

rayray2k8
06-27-2008, 02:17 AM
Positive Sequ???
:huh

Of all the people I thought he'd go on a major rant about
Who the hell George Hill was, but we get this instead. :lol

Probably happy we didnt get a euro player. :lmao

GaryJohnston
06-27-2008, 02:22 AM
Initially I was shocked, but I've come to really like what I read about this kid.

Tully365
06-27-2008, 02:23 AM
I wonder why CDR dropped so far?

It would be interesting to see who the Spurs had next on their list if Hill was taken...

One thing they drafted this year was wingspan: Hill's is 6'9", very long for his size, and Gist is an amazing 7'4".

mexicanjunior
06-27-2008, 08:20 AM
Hill will be out of the league in 3-4 years...he is another Greg Sutton/Cory Alexander...

mrspurs
06-27-2008, 08:29 AM
i think the person you are looking for is on my ignore list...wonder who has more people on their ignore list here at spurstalk?

Obstructed_View
06-27-2008, 08:29 AM
Which makes him a damn sight better than Marcus Williams.

j-6
06-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Isn't IUPUI the school with the barefoot coach?

SequSpur
11-24-2008, 11:15 PM
damn... did i start this? :lol

jayc23
11-24-2008, 11:28 PM
hmmm but it was quickly overshadowed by you bailing on hill like 2000 times... you trashed him through summer league.. post summer league... and even a couple games ago you called him soft and hes what.. shoved camby elbowed people in the face.. once in awhile you have flashes of brilliance and then you fuck it up with 20 stupid statements :bang

SequSpur
11-24-2008, 11:30 PM
hmmm but it was quickly overshadowed by you bailing on hill like 2000 times

I wasn't the one that went 0 for 40 in a couple pickup games....

chill out JC.

Tully365
11-24-2008, 11:36 PM
hmmm but it was quickly overshadowed by you bailing on hill like 2000 times... you trashed him through summer league.. post summer league... and even a couple games ago you called him soft and hes what.. shoved camby elbowed people in the face.. once in awhile you have flashes of brilliance and then you fuck it up with 20 stupid statements :bang

:lol +1

Tully365
11-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Posted by SequSpur 7-14-2008

Big Mistake.....
not drafting a player like Chalmers, Arthur or CDR.

All of these players tonight are too raw for the NBA now. The Spurs need players to insert into the lineup and these guys just don't cut it.

Hill is out of control, doesn't have court knowledge and can't shoot. His mental game IQ is too low.

Ian had two post ups that looked promising but other than that he is terrible.

Gist may be able to handle the big boys, looks promising.

I don't get it... Shit, we all saw what chalmers, arthur and CDR did in big games and still Pop and his Klan went with a bunch of bullshit talent with some fucking hope.

I'm pissed. I was wrong, George Hill was a bad choice.

SequSpur
11-24-2008, 11:40 PM
:lmao

That was my daughter!!! :lol

Tully365
11-24-2008, 11:41 PM
:lmao

That was my daughter!!! :lol

jayc23
11-24-2008, 11:42 PM
I wasn't the one that went 0 for 40 in a couple pickup games....

chill out JC.

ya i agree.. his shot was broken in summer league.. I knew this was going to happen though... I knew first hand how talented he is.. I could see how people who didn't know him would assume bust.

SequSpur
11-24-2008, 11:44 PM
shit, i wish i could blame that on my daughter... :lmao

jayc23
11-24-2008, 11:46 PM
I'm interested what kinda money G's going to get offered down the road... do the spurs have control of him for the next 4 years or do they have to re-negotiate next year or the year after.. or do other teams have the rights to offer... because I could see him pulling some pretty decent offers .. Im sure there are a few teams out there right now that would like ghill starting for him not backing up point.. Hill is going to be a SA franchise player and be here for 8+ years though...

duncan228
11-24-2008, 11:49 PM
I'm interested what kinda money G's going to get offered down the road... do the spurs have control of him for the next 4 years or do they have to re-negotiate next year or the year after.. or do other teams have the rights to offer... because I could see him pulling some pretty decent offers .. Im sure there are a few teams out there right now that would like ghill starting for him not backing up point.. Hill is going to be a SA franchise player and be here for 8+ years though...

I don't know much about this but I think the Spurs have him for the 3 year rookie contract. The 4th is the team's option I think.

Anyone who knows please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

ss1986v2
11-24-2008, 11:53 PM
spurs have hill locked in until 2012, at which point he becomes a RFA.

ChumpDumper
11-25-2008, 12:21 AM
First round draft picks now have four-year deals, the last two being at the team's option. After the four years they become restricted free agents.

duncan228
11-25-2008, 12:30 AM
Thanks Chump. I'm learning!

T Park
11-25-2008, 12:33 AM
If he wants to, G Hill is gonna be in SA for a very long time.