PDA

View Full Version : Rockets f' with Spurs again.

Kobe24Forever
06-26-2008, 11:33 PM
and the 25th pick Houston drafted Nicholas Batum...:rollin

50 cent
06-26-2008, 11:35 PM
Pretty pathetic that the Mavs and Rockets only goal is to fuck with the Spurs since they can't be as successful.

nil.ball
06-26-2008, 11:35 PM

you mean donte green+joey dorsey?

Manuismyhomeboy
06-26-2008, 11:37 PM
Nice find Captain Fucking Obvious

BiZNicK
06-26-2008, 11:42 PM
Nice find Captain Fucking Obvious

hm?

Marcus Bryant
06-26-2008, 11:44 PM
Well, it was Portland that fucked with the Spurs. Maybe Batum will sign with Tau now.

angelbelow
06-26-2008, 11:45 PM
what do you mean by again?

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 03:04 AM
It does look like the Rockets creamed SA again. Batum seems like their target.

Buddy Holly
06-27-2008, 03:05 AM

Dude, Batum was traded to Portland.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 03:08 AM
Dude, Batum was traded to Portland.

Who selected him, genius?

Buddy Holly
06-27-2008, 03:12 AM
Who selected him, genius?

What does that have to do with the fact that Portland wanted him not the Rockets?

rj215
06-27-2008, 03:29 AM
What does that have to do with the fact that Portland wanted him not the Rockets?

I think what's he's trying to say is that Rockets drafted him knowing that they could trade/keep him anyway they wanted and that would mean that the Spurs could not. Either way, no one will see him play for 3+ years I'd bet.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 03:44 AM

Are you seriously asking that question? Are you that stupid?

Buddy Holly
06-27-2008, 03:47 AM
What's so hard to comprehend.

This wasn't a "let's keep this kid from the Spurs" pick, seriously, you honestly think the Rockets are childish and spiteful enough to not care about the own team, only cock blocking SA? Seriously, are you that stupid to think that?

It was a pre-arranged deal with Portland, the same way Barbosa was a pre-arranged deal with Phoenix.

And from all reports, the Spurs never even wanted Batum and were relieved when he was picked.

timaios
06-27-2008, 03:51 AM
Jeff McDonald, Express-News

So good was Hill in Orlando that some in the Spurs' camp worried other teams might catch wind and steal him from out from under their noses.

“Nobody really knew who he was, and probably even now some people don't know who he is,” Popovich said. “A lot of people found out about him because of Orlando.”

When Houston took French forward Nicolas Batum at No. 25, there was much rejoicing in the Spurs' war room.

“I don't remember a draft since maybe Tony (in 2001) where we keyed in on a player or two, and they got there,” Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said.

objective
06-27-2008, 03:52 AM
I believe that Mr. Body's point is that without Houston's participation Portland doesn't get Batum.

Not that Houston is out to get the Spurs, but it's one of those little quirks in life where Houston once again has a role in affecting the Spurs and foreign players.

Buddy Holly
06-27-2008, 03:55 AM

That's what he said.

First off, if the Spurs didn't want him, there's no "creaming" taking place. Second, Batum is the target of who and what?

Kori Ellis
06-27-2008, 04:03 AM
Batum wasn't the Spurs target or it wouldn't have been all over the press. The Spurs don't leak who they are targeting. They leak who they aren't targeting.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 04:13 AM
Batum wasn't the Spurs target or it wouldn't have been all over the press. The Spurs don't leak who they are targeting. They leak who they aren't targeting.

Then why the bizarre email sent round the league? Why hoarding the physical?

No, most evidence points to the Spurs targeting Batum.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2008, 04:14 AM
When the evidence points to the Spurs' targeting Batum, that means the Spurs were definitely not targeting Batum.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 04:15 AM
When the evidence points to the Spurs' targeting Batum, that means the Spurs were definitely not targeting Batum.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but none of that evidence came from the Spurs. It got sniffed out by DX and others, then came the bizarre ass-covering email.

m33p0
06-27-2008, 04:16 AM
Jeff McDonald, Express-News

So good was Hill in Orlando that some in the Spurs' camp worried other teams might catch wind and steal him from out from under their noses.

“Nobody really knew who he was, and probably even now some people don't know who he is,” Popovich said. “A lot of people found out about him because of Orlando.”

When Houston took French forward Nicolas Batum at No. 25, there was much rejoicing in the Spurs' war room.

“I don't remember a draft since maybe Tony (in 2001) where we keyed in on a player or two, and they got there,” Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said.
you were saying?

ChumpDumper
06-27-2008, 04:16 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but none of that evidence came from the Spurs. It got sniffed out by DX and others, then came the bizarre ass-covering email.It all came out in the press.

Spurs information doesn't hit the press by accident.

Buddy Holly
06-27-2008, 04:20 AM
Fuck it, Mr Body is all knowing so why question or dispute the man?

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 04:25 AM
It all came out in the press.

Spurs information doesn't hit the press by accident.

I seriously don't know. We tend to overrate the CIA Pop stuff on this board. There's a lot of spin in 'we've always lerved George Hill' phraseology in these articles.

Whatever.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2008, 04:31 AM
Dude.

Word gets out Spurs want Ryan Anderson.

The Nets take Anderson.

Word gets out Spurs want Batum.

Rockets/Blazers take Batum.

Word gets out the Spurs want to get rid of #26.

Spurs don't get rid of #26 and take someone not projected at #26.

All within the last two days before the draft.

Do you think they really wanted Anderson too?

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 04:39 AM
No, I didn't buy the Anderson rumor. The Batum stuff was highly credible. Why aren't you giving any thought to the fact that the Spurs were helping to hide his physical report?

anakha
06-27-2008, 04:45 AM
No, I didn't buy the Anderson rumor. The Batum stuff was highly credible. Why aren't you giving any thought to the fact that the Spurs were helping to hide his physical report?

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Word-on-the-Street-Denver-trades-20-pick-to-Charlotte-2946/

Some teams openly are wondering whether San Antonio gave Batum a promise and asked him to not distribute his physical around the league, which would make him very likely to slip to 26.

If this is correct, Batum's side was hiding/not distributing the report. Maybe the Spurs asked him to, maybe not. But that's all conjecture, not fact.

xapatan2
06-27-2008, 04:52 AM
Hi everyone,

all I can say is that Nicolas Batum, on www.lequipe.fr, today, is just saying he was praying not to be taken before the 26 choice...

He and Popovich had some discussions and Pop told him he wanted to put him this year into the rotation...

He is just a bit deceived... he is OK with Portland but he was hoping the spurs.

Xap'

Kori Ellis
06-27-2008, 04:52 AM

I don't think the Batum stuff was credible at all. I think BATUM was hoping he was going to the Spurs. I think his agent was floating a lot of info to the press. But I don't think Anderson or Batum were Spurs primary targets - the Spurs don't let that information out.

Buddy Holly
06-27-2008, 04:55 AM
The same thing that happened to Arthur happened to Batum. His agent didn;t release any medical reports to teams. That's it.

DX took the Batum sitiuation and ran with and made up their own story.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 04:59 AM
I don't think the Batum stuff was credible at all. I think BATUM was hoping he was going to the Spurs. I think his agent was floating a lot of info to the press. But I don't think Anderson or Batum were Spurs primary targets - the Spurs don't let that information out.

The Spurs didn't let the Batum information out! It was figured out by others!

timaios
06-27-2008, 05:01 AM
you were saying?

I said that the Spurs wanted Hill at 26 !

Buddy Holly
06-27-2008, 05:02 AM
The Spurs didn't let the Batum information out! It was figured out by others!

What was figured out? There was no code or puzzle. DX show something and ran with it. Plan and simple.

Batum's agent denied GM's and teams not the Spurs. Spurs had the medical records because he worked out for them and then he went to Cleveland and worked out there and gave them the records.

Nothing to solve or break there.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 05:04 AM
What was figured out? There was no code or puzzle. DX show something and ran with it. Plan and simple.

Batum's agent denied GM's and teams not the Spurs. Spurs had the medical records because he worked out for them and then he went to Cleveland and worked out there and gave them the records.

Nothing to solve or break there.

Tell me you're not this dense. Why do the Spurs get the physical results and not other teams?

timvp
06-27-2008, 05:05 AM
The Spurs didn't let the Batum information out! It was figured out by others!Figuring out by others is how all information gets out. Since when do the Spurs hold a press conference to leak info?

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 05:06 AM
The Spurs didn't leak any info. They got sniffed out.

Buddy Holly
06-27-2008, 05:08 AM
Tell me you're not this dense. Why do the Spurs get the physical results and not other teams?

Because THEY WORKED HIM OUT.

Cleveland then WORKED HIM OUT and guess what... THEY HAD THE REPORT TOO.

FUCK!

timvp
The Spurs didn't leak any info. They got sniffed out.Do you know what leak means?

Buddy Holly
The Spurs didn't leak any info. They got sniffed out.

Holy shit you are fucking retarded.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 05:10 AM
You're claiming the Spurs tried to trick Houston into selecting Batum! That's moronic! Like there was this super secret smokescreen by only having two teams have his physical. That's unbelievable. The only way your scenario makes sense is if they thought Houston was going to select George Hill. Were they?

Buddy Holly
06-27-2008, 05:14 AM
No one suggested anything you mentally challenged baboon.

Houston didn't even draft for themselves, they drafted for Portland.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-27-2008, 08:23 AM
You're claiming the Spurs tried to trick Houston into selecting Batum! That's moronic! Like there was this super secret smokescreen by only having two teams have his physical. That's unbelievable. The only way your scenario makes sense is if they thought Houston was going to select George Hill. Were they?

How are you making this leap in logic that the Spurs tried to trick Houston? Like somehow they only floated the rumors to Houston, even though it was all over the web?

You can be really dumb sometimes. This is one of those times. All the talking about Batum was being done by his agent, who wanted his player taken by the Spurs.

If the Spurs really wanted Batum, do you think they would have told Batum's agent to be blathering on and on about the Spurs being one of the only ones to have his physical?

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-27-2008, 08:23 AM
The Spurs didn't leak any info. I've been sniffing glue.

fify.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Straight from the horse's mouth for the reality inclined (Mr. Body):

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100018

In an interview in L'equipe, Batum confessed he had set up a strategy with his agent to be picked by SA. He was really looking forward to be picked by the spurs. He admited that his aim was really to go to SA. He says he was praying after every pick not be the next one, waiting for the 26th.

So the physical cloak and dagger business was the work of Batum and his agent, who failed miserably. Next.

703 Spurz
06-27-2008, 08:38 AM

Go Celtics

Hemotivo
06-27-2008, 09:28 AM
:reading

SynicFan
06-27-2008, 04:35 PM

CLUTCH CITY had no intentions of selecting that BUST.
Mr M.I.T. had it all planned out.
Donte Greene was the mission.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

SenorSpur
06-27-2008, 05:26 PM

So the physical cloak and dagger business was the work of Batum and his agent, who failed miserably. Next.

All I know is I found it interesting that Batum wore a black suit and silver tie to the Draft. I'm pretty sure he had his heart set on coming to SA

T Park
06-27-2008, 05:29 PM
In his mind, he probobly thought the Spurs were taking him.

Solid D
06-27-2008, 05:51 PM
If you have some time and patience, after the giddiness has passed, Donte Greene may be a player. Otherwise, I think the Joey Dorsey pick got the Rockets a better contributor than Greene.

Jay Bilas' comments regarding Donte Greene at the draft - "frankly, a lot of his shots are bad shots"..."he's got to learn to take better shots, I mean he is not selective at all with the shots he takes. That's why he shoots such a poor percentage."

Dingle Barry
06-27-2008, 07:53 PM
Mr. Body is getting absolutely demolished by logic in this thread.

Mr. Body
06-27-2008, 07:56 PM

Nothing there says he and his agent were the only ones involved. Jesus, man.

kyleo
06-27-2008, 08:14 PM
I think Batum got the impression that the Spurs wanted him, and he crafted this "strategy" with his agent. IMO, no agent would allow their guy to do something like that without some assurance they'll be picked in the first.

However, this does not necessitate that the Spurs gave any kind of promise. Hill's comments indicate the Spurs were virtually assured to take him if he dropped. I think the Spurs believed the Lakers or some other team would trade into the first and take Hill (ridiculous as that seems), which would make Batum a secondary, and in their minds, the more likely available pick. I doubt Batum had any clue Hill would be the primary target if both were on the board.

This is all rampant speculation, as is everything in this thread. Either way, it's done.

Man of Steel
06-28-2008, 02:04 AM
I'm starting to wonder if the Spurs--at one time--were highly interested in Batum--talked with him about rotation, etc--but then changed their minds once they worked out Hill?

The newspaper reported that the Spurs made the decision within a couple of days before the draft.

Does anyone know in what order the Spurs worked out both Batum and Hill?

I tend to think that they worked out Batum first-got impressed and left an impression he was their man.

But then--they worked out Hill.

They had a dilemma.

But they finally decided that Hill was their man and told Hill that if he was still available at pick 26, he would be selected.

Like Kori has stated previously, the people who contend that Batum was the objective are ignoring the phone calls by the Spurs to Hill.

TrailBlazer
06-28-2008, 04:33 AM
Regardless of all this talk about whether SA was indeed targeting Batum or not, Portland liked him regardless. They worked out a deal with Houston to get the pick and thats that. Batum had one of the best individual workouts at the Blazer practice facility, Paul Allen sat in on only a handful of workouts and was right there for Batum.

I agree about the smoke screens though, I can see SA showing interest in Batum only to 'really' want Hill all along. It is much the same as how Portland made a point to not discuss Bayless as an option with their first pick once his agent refused to let him come work out. Instead they made everyone in the league think they were targeting Westbrook and Augustine instead. Much like how you guys seem to think Houston and Dallas are out to get you. The talk around the water coolers here in Portland is that Seattle tried to do the same to Portland by taking Westbrook. Truth is they took who they felt they wanted, and possibly who they thought the great GM KP was eyeballing.

Anyway the talk at the Press Conferance was pretty lame last night as KP couldn't talk about any of the deals because of all the legal issues. It was entertaining though watching him pick and chose his words, asking his legal representitive Tom Penn if he could speak on pretty much any questions the reporters were asking him.

In the End Portland got exactily what they wanted. They cured there PG problem... Bayless will come in and initially backup Blake and eventually earn the spot. And Diago gives portland the muscle they needed off the bench. Initially the talk is that Batum was going to stay in Europe although from all the videos I've seen on him the past day and a half I can't see how we can not allow this kid on the floor. In my opinion Portlands 15 man Roster will look like this.

1)Brandon Roy
2)LaMarcus Aldridge
3)Greg Oden
4)Rudy Fernandez
5)Travis Outlaw
6)Joel Pryzbilla
7)Steve Blake
8)Jerryd Bayless
9)Sergio Rodriguez
10)Channing Frye
11)Martell Webster
12)Pettri Koponen
13)Raef Lafrentz
14)Ike Diago
15)Nicholas Batum

Bruno
06-28-2008, 06:36 AM
Spurs got Hill and they seems to be really happy with him.
The one who has been F up is Batum.
Instead of being in a team where he could have had playing time, he ends up with a team that wants to let him rot overseas while he wants to play in NBA. Given that he is a first round pick, they will sign him but he will spend the season in D-League or at the end of the bench.
Blazers strategy to use Allen deep pockets to get tons of talents is attractive on the paper but the team is now overcrowded and some quality young players will end up in the doghouse.

Harry Callahan
06-28-2008, 06:47 AM
Portland has had talented teams before and let good players get away. Jermaine O'Neal was a Blazer initially.

I'm dating myself, but Portland had the rights to Moses Malone for about 2 seconds back in the mid 70s before shipping him to Houston.

Harry Callahan
06-28-2008, 06:53 AM
Regarding the Hill Batum thing, deception is the root of all drafts. SA probably liked Hill and Batum and when Seatlle went the futures route at 24, SA knew they would get a player they wanted either way.

I don't know how they ranked the two, but they did seem to really like Hill. Batum seemed like a good propect as well.

Batum did not have huge numbers in the French A, but I also think he would have been a good potential SF for us. Plus he probably preferred playing with two of his countrymen in SA starting out.

Portland's GM seems to be obsessed with making moves just for the sake of making moves so people will mention his name on TV.

wildbill2u
06-28-2008, 08:48 AM
CLUTCH CITY had no intentions of selecting that BUST.

Mr M.I.T. had it all planned out.
Donte Greene was the mission.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Houston sports gurus on radio and in papers are gushing over how slick the Houston move was, eg, passing over Greene (who they wanted badly) in order to pick him up later with a bonus of Joey Dorsey in a three team deal.

If they fucked up the Spurs by taking Batum off the table, that was a bonus dig at a division rival.

I have to admit it was a gutsy call by a FO that read the moves of the teams behind them very craftily.

Solid D
06-28-2008, 09:22 AM
I thought it was interesting when Mike Monroe asked RC the night of the draft if there was celebration when the 25th pick was made (before the Spurs selection) and RC said "yeah, there was" with a smile on his face.

nil.ball
06-28-2008, 09:54 AM
I think spurs fans and rockets fans should chill. Yours teams got what you wanted, so what's the big deal. except rockets got maybe what they wanted plus #33 this year and a high second rounder next year.

And had spurs gotten nicolas batum, they can trade it for:

george hill, cdr, and a second rounder next year.

that might be spurs plan, but houston did it. and that's that.

lotr1trekkie
06-28-2008, 11:31 AM
From the FO it seems the Spurs nailed their man. Batum looks like he's 16. Back to France for 2 years. By mid-season Hill will give Tony quality down time. Hairston and/or Gist will go to the D-league. I think we will give Big Shoot Rob one more year even if it's only to mentor Mahimni. Now that the fantasy of getting Mike Miller is gone we need to acquire a productive #2 so that Manu doesn't have to rush of the bench 3 minutes into the games. Is a JR Smith for Brent Barry II possible? They get Barry, who Karl can converse with, plus something and we get an athletic scorer. If Smith can't adjust to an adult locker room he can be dealt to those many teams who have adolescent locker rooms. Hill, Mahamni/Horry, Smith solve most of our needs. Anything else is gravy

Johnny_Blaze_47
06-28-2008, 11:34 AM
This thread is a perfect example of Manny's old sig (which I believe was an Aggie Hoopsfan quip).

Biggems
06-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Too bad the Spurs couldnt draft Batum and Portland draft Hill.....

Then we could have sent Batum to Portland for Hill and Greene.....and that would have made me completely ecstatic....cause Greene was a player I really wanted the Spurs to draft. He was my second favorite SF in the draft, behind Joe Alexander (Beasley isn't included cause he was completely out of our reach).

However, I find Houston fans to be funny. They are all bent up over the Spurs. They feel the need to try and rub every little thing in our faces.....perhaps it is penis envy or something. Perhaps they are bitter cause their team hasn't done diddly squat in almost 15 years. Perhaps they are bitter cause the Spurs have owned them like a pimp owns his hoes ever since the 95 WCF. Perhaps they are bitter cause the Spurs have been the premiere organization in the NBA and potentially all the 4 major sports over the last 11 years, while the Rockets are just an afterthought. One superstar can't get out of the 1st round and the other can't stay healthy for a complete season. You guys were so cocky and arrogant after winning 22 in a row. No team has ever had such an impressive winning streak and failed to win the title, much less lose in the 1st round....except your mighty Rockets.

Thank you Rockets fans for coming over to the Spurs forum and showing us Spurs fans your hatred for our team. Thank you for coming onto our forum and showing us how much you envy the Spurs and wish your team was as good and successful as the Spurs.

Enjoy your offseason.....and then your next season of mediocrity....we have the 2009 OBrien to focus on.

GO SPURS GO

Mr. Body
06-28-2008, 11:43 AM
DX is pretty well under the assumption that Houston blew up San Antonio's plans. I sure as hell believe them above chowderheads around here. They, you know, actually talk to people in the business on an intimate and continual basis instead of clacking away with cheetoh stained fingers at their keyboards here. J. Givony has a wee bit more clout than blockheads like ASF.

George Gervin's Afro
06-28-2008, 11:46 AM
DX is pretty well under the assumption that Houston blew up San Antonio's plans. I sure as hell believe them above chowderheads around here. They, you know, actually talk to people in the business on an intimate and continual basis instead of clacking away with cheetoh stained fingers at their keyboards here.

you got owned in this thread. get over it. the spurs front office said they wanted Hill yet you somehow want to convince everyone else that wasn't the case.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Damn, Mr. Body is sensitive.

ss1986v2
06-28-2008, 11:56 AM
DX is pretty well under the assumption that Houston blew up San Antonio's plans. I sure as hell believe them above chowderheads around here. They, you know, actually talk to people in the business on an intimate and continual basis instead of clacking away with cheetoh stained fingers at their keyboards here. J. Givony has a wee bit more clout than blockheads like ASF.
you mean the same guy (along with chad ford) that said the spurs had locked in on ryan anderson? so where does he fit into the batum/hill conversation?

Mr. Body
06-28-2008, 11:57 AM
you got owned in this thread. get over it. the spurs front office said they wanted Hill yet you somehow want to convince everyone else that wasn't the case.

Owned? No, there was no ownage. ASH came in swingin' his winsome little dick thinking a loud voice stands for evidence. The L'Equipe article is not the full story, pal, and that's pretty clear.

We're basically where we began: there is no proof what happened. My take is the Spurs sure as hell were going for Batum, wanting to get Hill later. Some other people's take is that they were 'smokescreening' Batum in order to get Hill, which makes little sense, as no one was taking Hill at that time anyway. This view doesn't explain the panicky 'what can you give us for the 26' email the team sent EVERYBODY, which I read as a way to brush expectations the opposite direction (which failed).

Look, the draft history is getting written. It's not getting written on this board, other than a sort of pathetic oral history of SpursTalk regulars. Otherwise it's getting written by guys who are close to the draft process continually, year after year. Whenever Batum is mentioned, if he does well, there will be a mention of how Portland helped snatch him from beneath the Spurs' noses. Part of this history is getting written right now by Givony and DX, which is getting linked to NBATV now. ASF? The other guys around here? Not so much. These guys think they're so much smarter than the ones talking to agents, talking to teams, talking to scouts, and know them on a personal basis, have their numbers in their cell phones. If you think I'm stupid or got 'OWNED' in a piddly thread like this, then apparently these scouts, agents, and teams are getting owned at the same time. I don't think so.

That's pretty much it. Go with ASH's sneer-faced Internet Tough Guy act. Or go with what people are actually writing about this who aren't blinkered.

George Gervin's Afro
06-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Owned? No, there was no ownage. ASH came in swingin' his winsome little dick thinking a loud voice stands for evidence. The L'Equipe article is not the full story, pal, and that's pretty clear.

We're basically where we began: there is no proof what happened. My take is the Spurs sure as hell were going for Batum, wanting to get Hill later. Some other people's take is that they were 'smokescreening' Batum in order to get Hill, which makes little sense, as no one was taking Hill at that time anyway. This view doesn't explain the panicky 'what can you give us for the 26' email the team sent EVERYBODY, which I read as a way to brush expectations the opposite direction (which failed).

Look, the draft history is getting written. It's not getting written on this board, other than a sort of pathetic oral history of SpursTalk regulars. Otherwise it's getting written by guys who are close to the draft process continually, year after year. Whenever Batum is mentioned, if he does well, there will be a mention of how Portland helped snatch him from beneath the Spurs' noses. Part of this history is getting written right now by Givony and DX, which is getting linked to NBATV now. ASF? The other guys around here? Not so much. These guys think they're so much smarter than the ones talking to agents, talking to teams, talking to scouts, and know them on a personal basis, have their numbers in their cell phones. If you think I'm stupid or got 'OWNED' in a piddly thread like this, then apparently these scouts, agents, and teams are getting owned at the same time. I don't think so.

That's pretty much it. Go with ASH's sneer-faced Internet Tough Guy act. Or go with what people are actually writing about this who aren't blinkered.

one question. if the spurs plans were destroyed when battum was selected then why the celebration by the spurs front office after the rocket's pick? was that an act as well?

Mr. Body
06-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Houston Rockets

Picks: Traded rights to Nicolas Batum (#19) to Portland for rights to Darrell Arthur (#27) and Joey Dorsey (#33); traded rights to Arthur to Memphis for rights to Donte Greene (#28) and 2009 second-round pick, Maarty Leunen (#54)

A

There isn’t much not to like here with what Houston did on draft night considering their limited resources. First, they busted up the plans of division rivals San Antonio Spurs by selecting Nicolas Batum (the player they had promised and tried to hide from the rest of the NBA). They likely did not win many fans over a few hours down I-10 with that move, but ended up coming away as winners by picking up Donte Greene, Joey Dorsey, and a 2009 second round pick out of that lone #25 pick. That’s what we call value…particularly Greene, who could have gone 15 spots higher had he not behaved poorly in a workout with the New Jersey Nets (something that reportedly spread quickly around the league). Morey likely loves Dorsey and Leunen’s numbers—their college production is impossible to argue with, even if it seems strange to add a 4th and 5th power forward to the mix now.

San Antonio Spurs

Picks: George Hill (#26); traded rights to Goran Dragic (#45) to Phoenix for rights to Malik Hairston (#48), a future second-round pick and cash considerations, James Gist (#57)

C+

San Antonio was very likely blindsided after being caught by the Rockets with their hand in the cookie jar trying to steal Nicolas Batum from the rest of the league, so much that they seem to have reached for George Hill, who they almost certainly could have had in the early second round. Hill’s numbers are off the charts and he did play extremely well at the Orlando pre-draft camp, but learning how to play the point guard position is not going to be the easiest task in the world for him.

In the second round, the Spurs took Phoenix to the cleaners simply for the price of moving up three spots in the draft. They landed the better player in the deal (Malik Hairston), picked up a future second round pick, and even managed to swindle some cash out of the Suns in the process. A very nice transaction all in all. Hairston has a great chance to make this team and may develop into a contributor down the road if he can improve his perimeter defense skills.

James Gist was someone that a number of teams seemingly had fairly high on their draft boards, but for some reason slipped all the way to the end of the second round. Nothing about his profile really jumps out at you, but he does have the athleticism to hang around for a little while.

Link (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2008-NBA-Draft-Report-Card-2956/)

My guess is there will be a selective fanboy/homer response to this. One: 'Hell yah we beat dem dummassh Suns hooraayay!!'

Two: 'Man dish guy's an idiote no waay Goergj Hill numbah one foreveah!!'

You guys are so predictable.

kobyz
06-28-2008, 12:05 PM
if the spurs not wanted Batum so why Portlend make the deal with the Rockets?

i think that the Spurs wanted Batum and Portland knew that and they made the deal with the Rockets to still Batum from the Spurs.
i'm very disappointed because of it cause i wanted Batum on the Spurs.

TheProfessor
06-28-2008, 12:07 PM
They, you know, actually talk to people in the business on an intimate and continual basis instead of clacking away with cheetoh stained fingers at their keyboards here.
Irony alert.

George Gervin's Afro
06-28-2008, 12:08 PM

My guess is there will be a selective fanboy/homer response to this. One: 'Hell yah we beat dem dummassh Suns hooraayay!!'

So the Rockets sole plan was the fuck the spurs by drafting someone with the 25th pick of the nba draft. isn't batum a guy who could have been drafted by 20 or so other teams? so then the Rocket's also duped the Blazers as well? Or were the Blazers in on fucking the spurs? Very difficult to follow the logic..

George Gervin's Afro
06-28-2008, 12:09 PM
if the spurs not wanted Batum so why Portlend make the deal with the Rockets?

i think that the Spurs wanted Batum and Portland knew that and they made the deal with the Rockets to still Batum from the Spurs.
i'm very disappointed because of it cause i wanted Batum on the Spurs.

there we go everyone is out to block the spurs:rolleyes

Spur-Addict
06-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Who gives a fuck, what's with all the damn crying? Waaahhhhhhhh

Mr. Body
06-28-2008, 12:11 PM
So the Rockets sole plan was the fuck the spurs by drafting someone with the 25th pick of the nba draft. isn't batum a guy who could have been drafted by 20 or so other teams? so then the Rocket's also duped the Blazers as well? Or were the Blazers in on fucking the spurs? Very difficult to follow the logic..

Portland set up with Houston to get the Batum. Houston drafted Batum intending to send him to the Blazers. I don't know if Memphis was in from the start (because Arthur was swapped for Greene). Greene was who Houston wanted from the start; they got something extra for helping Portland (Joey Dorsey).

Mr. Body
06-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Irony alert.

Hey, I'm not saying I'm not a cheetoh-eater myself. What I'm saying is there are people far more expert on this who are writing what by far more likely was the story.

Buddy Holly
06-28-2008, 12:13 PM

Holy shit you're dense.

What proof does DX have here besides their own speculative journalism?

What cookie jar was there hand in? Also, HOW THE FUCK was SA hiding Batum who many saw going in the teens?

lol

George Gervin's Afro
06-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Portland set up with Houston to get the Batum. Houston drafted Batum intending to send him to the Blazers. I don't know if Memphis was in from the start (because Arthur was swapped for Greene). Greene was who Houston wanted from the start; they got something extra for helping Portland (Joey Dorsey).

I have a feelig that Portland would have made that deal with any other team who was slotted in the 25th spot.

TheProfessor
06-28-2008, 12:14 PM
If the Spurs were really intent on taking Batum, they did a piss-poor job of hiding it. The move was completely telegraphed - Givony himself says several teams telephoned to ask for Batum's records, and we worked him out right before. Seems like a smokescreen. You think they would have adopted a Mahinmi-type approach to the situation - and if you look at George Hill as the targeted pick, they did. It makes the most sense.

Mr. Body
06-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Holy shit you're dense.

What proof does DX have here besides their own speculative journalism?

What cookie jar was there hand in? Also, HOW THE FUCK was SA hiding Batum who many saw going in the teens?

lol

I'm thinking you just got here, yet you didn't. Dude, it's all right there. They've explained it.

And... again, this is not speculative journalism. These are not bloggers. This is a professional site that is not only getting slots on NBAtv now, but OTHER NBA TEAMS were contacting DX to see if they had the Batum physical results when they were hidden.

I sure as fuck know they weren't calling you.

Buddy Holly
06-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Hey, I'm not saying I'm not a cheetoh-eater myself. What I'm saying is there are people far more expert on this who are writing what by far more likely was the story.

As opposed to hearing it from the people who actually make the picks?

Huh?

Pop couldn't say Hill was their second pick after Batum was taken. Instead he was still hiding the burn by Houston in saying Hill is who they wanted.

lol

Buddy Holly
06-28-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm thinking you just got here, yet you didn't. Dude, it's all right there. They've explained it.

And... again, this is not speculative journalism. These are not bloggers. This is a professional site that is not only getting slots on NBAtv now, but OTHER NBA TEAMS were contacting DX to see if they had the Batum physical results when they were hidden.

I sure as fuck know they weren't calling you.

Holy shit, spots on NBATV? Are those as lucrative as TMZ spots on Entertainment Tonight or something?

Draft Express is a site, with no real credible journalists. Not a single one. The sad part is teams contacting them for information. If that's true.

You truly are fucking retarded.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-28-2008, 12:20 PM
If the Spurs flat out said that Splitter was their 2nd choice last year, why would they feel any different about saying it this time around?
Because Hill was their 1st choice. Not Batum.

Mr. Body
06-28-2008, 12:20 PM
If the Spurs were really intent on taking Batum, they did a piss-poor job of hiding it.

The plan was sniffed out by teams not detered by the questionable heart results - they still wanted to see the physical. See, the Spurs aren't freaking geniuses. Not everything they do is wonderful cherub-butt goodness. It's astonishing how they can make mistakes here and there, like with Scola, with Butler, with Splitter, and people still think the sun shines out of their behinds.

The Spurs thought they could ploy to get Batum, got ratted out. They sent the silly email out to trick a sense they didn't want the pick (i.e. the Batum physical was bad), it still didn't work. By the time they got to their pick they probably knew - at some point in the day - they'd have to go for George Hill. The last part I don't know, but THE STORY IS Portland and Houston blew up their nifty plans. Batum was clearly their #1 target. They either blundered or - IMO, more likely - the task simply was too hard to pull off.

Mr. Body
06-28-2008, 12:22 PM
As I said, Buddy, because I have to leave:

Other teams were contacting DraftExpress to see if they had Batum's physical. Why would DX have their physical? Because DX has become an integral part of the draft process for many teams, if not all. They are invited to workouts, they discuss things with scouts. They certainly aren't intimately involved in decisions but they have become respected attendants to the process. OTHER TEAMS EXPECTED DX MIGHT HAVE THE BATUM PHYSICAL RESULTS. If you cannot see the significance of this, you are a retard.

Buddy Holly
06-28-2008, 12:23 PM
The plan was sniffed out by teams not detered by the questionable heart results - they still wanted to see the physical. See, the Spurs aren't freaking geniuses. Not everything they do is wonderful cherub-butt goodness. It's astonishing how they can make mistakes here and there, like with Scola, with Butler, with Splitter, and people still think the sun shines out of their behinds.

THE SPURS WEREN'T KEEPING THE FUCKING PHYSICAL FROM BEING SEEN YOU INCREPATE FUCKING SPAZ.

Buddy Holly
06-28-2008, 12:25 PM
As I said, Buddy, because I have to leave:

Other teams were contacting DraftExpress to see if they had Batum's physical. Why would DX have their physical? Because DX has become an integral part of the draft process for many teams, if not all. They are invited to workouts, they discuss things with scouts. They certainly aren't intimately involved in decisions but they have become respected attendants to the process. OTHER TEAMS EXPECTED DX MIGHT HAVE THE BATUM PHYSICAL RESULTS. If you cannot see the significance of this, you are a retard.

What does that fucking matter? Other than teams are dumb enough to contact Draft Express for information. DX had no concrete proof that SA was targeting Batum outside of their own speculation. YOU ARE TOO DENSE TO COMPREHEND THAT.

PoleSmoking
06-28-2008, 12:28 PM
LMFAO at all you conspiracy-theorist Spurs fans!

Reading these posts, it seems that there's consensus that every other team in the league has only one goal in mind: cock-blocking the Spurs' pick.

Gimmie a fucking break. You people are amazingly stupid.

TheProfessor
06-28-2008, 12:29 PM

The Spurs thought they could ploy to get Batum, got ratted out. They sent the silly email out to trick a sense they didn't want the pick (i.e. the Batum physical was bad), it still didn't work. By the time they got to their pick they probably knew - at some point in the day - they'd have to go for George Hill. The last part I don't know, but THE STORY IS Portland and Houston blew up their nifty plans. Batum was clearly their #1 target. They either blundered or - IMO, more likely - the task simply was too hard to pull off.
I'm not buying it. How did people "sniff out their plans" if they worked the guy out days before? Doesn't take a detective to see inferred interest. Everything else is supposition.

And I don't appreciate being made to seem like a homer. Even if our front office makes and will make mistakes, RC Buford is not the idiot that relentless cynics make him out to be. The Spurs would simply not telegraph Batum like they did after informing Hill that they would take him if he was on the board. This pick is actually quite similar to Mahinmi's when you think about it.

Man of Steel
06-28-2008, 08:59 PM
If DX is part of the media...

Why would the Spurs telegraph their moves to them?

Don't want to get in your face, Mr. Body. Just trying to make sense of your rationale.

Second--media works in a certain way--they report on what people tell them. Ben Bradles, former Managing Editor of the Washington Post once said they should tell their readers they print lies because they print what people tell them--which often is a damn lie anyway.

Third--there is layer upon layer of hearsay involved here in these reports. One person quotes another person who quoted another person--this gets passed to a media member,who decides that it is valid because after all, he spoke with person number 2, ignoring the fact that person number 2 is beholden to person number one as his "source."

Again--there could be a perfectly legitimate answer to this--

They worked out Batum--liked what they saw--spoke about how he could fit in the rotation.

Then--later, they work out Hill.

They liked what they saw even better--tell Hill he is their man and that if he is available at number 26, they will pick him.

They phone Hill and tell him on draft day as well.

Hill was available at number 26.

Spurs FO reacts with glee.

This is as possible as any "conspiracy theory" advanced by Rockets and Portland fans, who have nothing better to do except to forget that when the Spurs drafted Parker and Ginobili, they probably never heard of them either and smirked because they got their selection and the Spurs had to settle for a Frenchman and a guy from Argentina...

Mr. Body
06-28-2008, 09:57 PM
If DX is part of the media...

Why would the Spurs telegraph their moves to them?

Spurs didn't mean to telegraph their moves. Their moves were figured out.

Man of Steel
06-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Is it possible they allowed their moves toward Batum to be figured out because they wanted to make sure they were getting Hill?

I agree with lots of what you say otherwise. This FO has screwed up alot especially with the Scola deal imho. Just my opinion--no need for this thread to get hi-jacked by Scola arguments.

I just have a problem believing that Pop would tell Hill that day that if he was available at 26, the Spurs were going to draft him without any intention whatsover of doing so. I just don't think Pop would intentionally lie to a young player, especially one with the character like George Hill.

I can envision him inadvertently leaving an impression with Batum, however, especially if he stated how well Batum would work in their rotation, etc.

The first is a clear message--we're going to draft you if you are still available.

The second is ambigious--we like what we're seeing; you could work out fine for us, etc.

Then again, maybe Hill was their objective and Batum was the plan B.

In which case--the arguments advanced by Houston and Portland fans may be ironic.

The arguments back and forth, though, are fascinating--have enjoyed reading this thread a lot.

Mr. Body
06-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Is it possible they allowed their moves toward Batum to be figured out because they wanted to make sure they were getting Hill?

The reason I don't buy into that is that no one in that area of the draft was looking at George Hill, as far as anyone knows. Consensus was forming that he was a 2nd round player, maybe early in the round. Like Houston grabbing Aaron Brooks out of the 2nd round last year with a 1st round pick, San Antonio grabbed George Hill earlier than anyone expected. You don't need to use smokescreen using Batum to draft a player no one in front of you is going to select.

anakha
06-28-2008, 11:07 PM
The reason I don't buy into that is that no one in that area of the draft was looking at George Hill, as far as anyone knows. Consensus was forming that he was a 2nd round player, maybe early in the round. Like Houston grabbing Aaron Brooks out of the 2nd round last year with a 1st round pick, San Antonio grabbed George Hill earlier than anyone expected. You don't need to use smokescreen using Batum to draft a player no one in front of you is going to select.

Given that, wouldn't the concern that Hill could be gone between picks 26-45 be valid enough to warrant going after him at 26?

Mr. Body
06-29-2008, 12:42 AM
Given that, wouldn't the concern that Hill could be gone between picks 26-45 be valid enough to warrant going after him at 26?

That's a separate question than whether a smokescreen was necessary, though, which is what I was talking about. People have been saying the Batum stuff was a smokescreen to hide interest in George Hill. That doesn't make sense.

Kobe24Forever
06-29-2008, 02:35 AM
which is the bigger conspiracy? Rockets and portland cockblocking the Spurs <-- simple as that, or the spurs conspiracy, where they go through the painful process of dangling batum with reverse psychology, so other teams will bite the bait in the 20-26 picks giving them a slightly better chance of taking a second rounder prospect in hill, against a projected late first rounder in Batum? All hail Pop and RC Bufford if that's the case, they got the backup of choice they always wanted for Tony Parker, Bruce Bowen is still old though, let's see what these tactical geniuses at the spurs FO have left up their sleeves. spurs conspiracy is way bigger, spurs win.

picnroll
06-29-2008, 07:20 AM
Spurs didn't mean to telegraph their moves. Their moves were figured out.

If Batum's camp was so intent on having the Spurs pick him why did it become public knowledge that the Spurs had been given his physical report? Why not keep it secret so the teams all thought that no one had gotten the report and there was something to hide with Batum's physical condition? If they wanted the Spurs to pick Batum why did they supposedly also provide the report to Cleveland? Maybe it was all a ruse on Batum's camp's part to make teams think the Spurs were interested in him so someone would pick him higher and Pritchard was duped. Lots of theories. Lots of possibilities.

SpursChampsIII
06-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Some gaylord Laker fan starts shit and turns Spurs fans against each other. Don't be puppets.

SpursChampsIII
06-29-2008, 08:50 AM

The Spurs got who they wanted...they didn't want Batum. You need to worry more about Kobe-crying-4-every-time-he gets his ass booted out of the playoffs.

silk
06-29-2008, 08:57 AM
The spurs wanted batum, but they knew another team would take him before, so they tried to move up in the draft, but they failed, so they focused themselves on george hill who impressed them a lot, and tried to get down in the draft, but they also failed here, so they happilly took hill with the 26,

It would have been interesting to see who they would have took if both batum and hill were available with the 26 though

We don't mind if rockets, blzers, lakers or some other team wants tu fuck ourself, that's the league, the more important thing is we probably got a good player who will improve our team, let's go forward to the free agency now !

ballout
06-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Trust me, George Hill was there top choice. While I don't know there feelings about Batum, I do know he DOMINATED Mario Chalmers in the workout they had on monday. Also, New Orleans and Boston was gonna take George if he fell in there lap. If you guys knew what went on in these workouts then you would be so hard on the organization about the pick.

TDMVPDPOY
06-29-2008, 09:05 AM
why pick batum when his still raw, when you can sign a SF in FA whose has experience at NBA lvl?